Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
It was nice to see some familiar faces and send them packing after pocketing two points.

Anyone that thinks a team guided around the field by Soward and Wallace has a chance in the finals is delusional. Moylan did nothing to impress me, other than run sideways and piss his pants when Hurrell was nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/cronulla-sharks-star-todd-carney-sacked-over-vulgar-photo-incident-20140629-zsq4d.html

SMH says Carney is going to be sacked. Wow.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Cowboys one for me, that one was beyond hilarious. What's the wtf moment?

The second parra try was an obstruction, but since both players were grappling it wasnt according to the refs. Havent seen it, but the abc commentators were amazed it was given.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Struggles: Todd Carney. Photo: Getty Images
Sydney Morning Herald - 57 minutes ago
Todd Carney's agent David Riolo has hit out at Cronulla for not affording the star five-eighth an opportunity to explain himself at a hearing before terminating his $3.5 million, five-year contract.

Yes, please give me time to explain pissing into my own mouth.

Edit: St George Illawarra forward Joel Thompson tweeting: "Whoever leaked that photo of Toddy is nothing but a dog... Can't even have a joke in the privacy of a toilet#feelforhim".

Apparently a joke is now pissing in your own mouth. I love rugby league logic.

Lid fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 29, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MiniSune posted:

The second parra try was an obstruction, but since both players were grappling it wasnt according to the refs. Havent seen it, but the abc commentators were amazed it was given.

Watched the highlights, after 1.5 views of it I'm not sure it should have been called back, although if I had a decent view my opinion might differ. It seemed like it was 50/50 and far enough away from the ball, but I'll admit the replays were fairly useless.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Smorgasbord posted:

Superleague probably.

According to this article, he's been banned from the Superleague due to previous legal troubles. I guess a SL club could challenge that, but I wonder if they'd be willing to put in the time and money to do so.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/todd-carney-showed-he-had-learned-little-from-his-past-mistakes-20140629-zsq9d.html

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I can't see any superleague club attempting that, honestly, not for that player. Not even Koukash at Salford.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I can't see any superleague club attempting that, honestly, not for that player. Not even Koukash at Salford.

Joel Monaghan was photographed with his dick in a dog's mouth and got a Superleague contract, and he's nowhere near the player Carney is.

Look at that sentence, goddamn it's embarrassing to be a league fan sometimes.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Carney's trouble is his criminal record. Joel Monaghan didn't get any formal conviction for dog buggery or similar that I'm aware of.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Half the "fun" of league is watching the timebomb players and wondering when they'll spectacularly explode and do something pants-on-head retarded. They never disappoint.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
"Deadline Day" today for mid season transfers. Not exactly the same as the EPL excitement wise.

Jacob Loko, Eels -> Bulldogs
Tautau Moga, Roosters -> Cowboys
Scott Dureau, Catalan -> Roosters
Nathan Stapleton, Sharks -> Roosters

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Warriors have to have one of the most disciplined sides in the NRL when it comes to off field issues. Hurrell got a blowie in a car (NRL should have paid him rather than fined him seeing it was both consensual and with a woman) and Sione Faumuina had alcohol issues but other than that I can't think of too many incidents.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Ewar Woowar posted:

Warriors have to have one of the most disciplined sides in the NRL when it comes to off field issues. Hurrell got a blowie in a car (NRL should have paid him rather than fined him seeing it was both consensual and with a woman) and Sione Faumuina had alcohol issues but other than that I can't think of too many incidents.

Other one I can think of is that winger we got from the Tigers who was charged with rape(?) but I don't think it went anywhere. Pretty much finished his career with us though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Other one I can think of is that winger we got from the Tigers who was charged with rape(?) but I don't think it went anywhere. Pretty much finished his career with us though.

Michael Crockett. I remember him getting sent off really early in a game once.

I went to the game yesterday for the first time in a long while. Was a great game to go to! gently caress me Idriss is massive.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I'd have toddles back at Canberra because we suck but also because while pretty gross I think weeing in ones own mouth is at the lower end of rugby league crimes. I know he's got a record and all but he's not Robert lui.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'd love Carney at the Warriors. He'd be a vast improvement on Chad Townsend but there is no way the Warriors would look to sign someone so with his background.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

At this point he's had so many last chances and problems with alcohol.

Since they took Willie Mason, how about he goes to the knights on a $40,000 year contract under Bennett?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Misi Taulapapa was sacked for his drinking problems, but he barely played for us, or anyone else for that matter.

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'd love Carney at the Warriors. He'd be a vast improvement on Chad Townsend but there is no way the Warriors would look to sign someone so with his background.

We tried throwing money at him and he still stayed at Cronulla. Lucky us. Townsend is ok, he's showing a lot of improvement. He's really only keeping the jersey warm for Tui Lolohea anyway.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

It would be good to see Carney wind up under a no bullshit, hard work type coach like Bellamy or Bennett. He's still got a few good years in him if he can get off the piss.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
As a filthy casual, on again/off again League watcher whos not up to date on all the latest scandals, does this Carney thing finally knock the Hopoate thing off the top of the list of 'Dumbest loving poo poo ever'? Because as a tigers fan, that would be nice.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The Fox commentators LOVED Misi Taulapapa since when he scored they could say "Tell your mama, tell your papa, Misi Taulapa is in for a try".

Also comprehensive highlights of Michael Crockett's NRL career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdcN579-go 4(minutes)20 get sent off err' day

Ewar Woowar posted:

Well as JonoC said we did chase him hard last time he was available. We do have some history with bringing in red flag players though, we got Brett Seymour and managed to keep him under control while he was here, although I heard he was the ex-player who was hanging around the Kiwis squad at the world cup and provided the sleeping pills.

That whole thing seems to have been swept under the carpet.

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 30, 2014

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Well as JonoC said we did chase him hard last time he was available. We do have some history with bringing in red flag players though, we got Brett Seymour and managed to keep him under control while he was here, although I heard he was the ex-player who was hanging around the Kiwis squad at the world cup and provided the sleeping pills.

That whole thing seems to have been swept under the carpet.

As far as I could tell, Seymour managed to stay out of trouble while he was with us, but as soon as Johnson was on board we cut him loose and he went over to the UK. Unfortunately there were stories that he had an "accident" over there which might have been a suicide attempt. I also heard the rumours about him being a source of sleeping pills for the Kiwis last year.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Ben Roberts is still rubbish. Surely the Storm have a better reserve grader or junior.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Dr.Bikini BSc. CEO posted:

As a filthy casual, on again/off again League watcher whos not up to date on all the latest scandals, does this Carney thing finally knock the Hopoate thing off the top of the list of 'Dumbest loving poo poo ever'? Because as a tigers fan, that would be nice.

Hoppa was basically assaulting someone, where Carney was being a disgusting, filthy human being but to himself. I'd still rate what Hoppa did a league above drinking your own piss.

League just finds new and exciting ways to create controversy it is sometimes hard to make direct comparisons. For example is getting a Dog to suck you off worse than an unwelcome finger in the date?

MiniSune fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 30, 2014

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I think carney is just an idiot. Drinking your own pee at a urinal while someone takes a photo? Pure stupidity.

Getting sexual services from a dog? Middle ground, I'd say. The dog probably had no idea what was going on, and disgusting as it was it was a dumb joke gone wrong. Pretty bad, but not the end of the world.

Hoppa? Physically assaulting other men involuntarily and essentially raping them deliberately to win a game of football. I still feel ashamed I cheered him on back in the day. Clearly the worst of the bunch.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

Tui Lolohea

I haven't seen him play but have heard good things. Think he's going to make it?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

iajanus posted:

I think carney is just an idiot. Drinking your own pee at a urinal while someone takes a photo? Pure stupidity.

Getting sexual services from a dog? Middle ground, I'd say. The dog probably had no idea what was going on, and disgusting as it was it was a dumb joke gone wrong. Pretty bad, but not the end of the world.

Hoppa? Physically assaulting other men involuntarily and essentially raping them deliberately to win a game of football. I still feel ashamed I cheered him on back in the day. Clearly the worst of the bunch.

My vote for worst league player is Julian O'Neill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_O%27Neill

Also I swear there was a great wiki page on all Rugby League off field incidents but I can't seem to locate it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

I haven't seen him play but have heard good things. Think he's going to make it?

Yes. He's proven himself in the U20s, he's getting his feet wet in reserve grade and doesn't look out of place. He was on standby to cover for Johnson for the game against the Rabbits and the week before that. His best position is in the halves, but he's next in line to play fullback if Tomkins is out with Locke on his way to England and Fish done for the season.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Ewar Woowar posted:

Also I swear there was a great wiki page on all Rugby League off field incidents but I can't seem to locate it.

Yeah he was pretty bad too. This loving sport.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Ewar Woowar posted:

Killjoy fuckers at Wikipedia deleted it.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rugby_league_incidents

Old link above. gently caress samsung tablets and their inability to post links properly.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Craig Gower always had the best entry:

wikipedia posted:

In December 2005, Gower was fired as Panthers captain after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Mitchell Pearce with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knife to the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police. Gower was handed a "final warning" by the National Rugby League and fined A$100,000, with A$90,000 to be paid to an NRL programme encouraging the responsible use of alcohol by league players and $10,000 to replace the destroyed golf cart. Gower was "deeply unhappy" that the Penrith Panthers club did not defend his reputation, and at one stage threatened to "walk" from the club.

Allegedly inebriated with alcohol in a bar at Kings Cross on 11 February 2007, Gower allegedly tried to kiss one man before biting him on the neck and sparking a brawl, and is accused of assaulting another man. The Panthers club controversially reappointed Gower as captain in 2007, claiming the Peppermint Lounge incident was just a media "beat-up". Australian swimmer Dawn Fraser said Gower was unfit to be captain, due to his alleged lewd behaviour at the charity golf event which she attended, and Sarah Maddison, spokesperson for the Women's Electoral Lobby, said "reappointing Craig Gower would send all the wrong messages."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The COO of the NRL has come out and said it's highly unlikely Carney will find another club at the NRL, which has effectively banned him from the league for the forseeable future. I can't help but wonder if he's basically being made an example of at this stage.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-unlikely-to-welcome-todd-carney-back-20140630-zsr3x.html

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
He's no Carney but I see Wayne Ulugia has managed to be sacked by Hull KR after being sacked by North Queensland in January.

2 clubs in 6 months is a fair effort.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Red_Museum posted:

He's no Carney but I see Wayne Ulugia has managed to be sacked by Hull KR after being sacked by North Queensland in January.

2 clubs in 6 months is a fair effort.

Arana Taumata.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Now Peter Sharp is gone, too. Cronulla putting the fun in dysfunctional.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish the Knights were up against them this week not next week

ili
Jul 26, 2003

loving broncos got ripped off again. Sharks were shithouse all year before getting enormous motivation in the week before the game up here, now they've imploded a few days after and will be back to their easybeat ways. Someone get Tooves on the blower because there needs to be an investigation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ili posted:

loving broncos got ripped off again. Sharks were shithouse all year before getting enormous motivation in the week before the game up here, now they've imploded a few days after and will be back to their easybeat ways. Someone get Tooves on the blower because there needs to be an investigation.
nah they took the foot off the Sharks throat and then the Sharks ate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

ili posted:

We got thrashed by the Sharks, but on the positive side it resulted in a new coach and much better performances for us.

• Locked thread