Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Horses went extinct (in North America at least) after the War in Fallout.

Motorcycles/the car would be cool, but I can't help but think some flavor would be lost if you go barreling down the highways running over bandits and ghouls and deathclaws.

Fallout 2 had a car you could drive around once it was fixed up, didn't seem to hurt at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
You would think at some point in the last few hundred years of fallout someone would have got a car working at some point.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Flesnolk posted:

Fallout 2 had a car you could drive around once it was fixed up, didn't seem to hurt at all.

I think a car could work out pretty well in a FO3 FO:NV setting if anyone but Bethseda does the coding for it.
The car was pretty much FO2's chocobo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure on the logic, but I can definitely see having 'going rogue' as an option being bad for balancing. The most important effect of the World Congress is to give lesser players some agency in the game; you might not have the ability to get up and start smashing the leading player, but you can put some effort towards securing city-states and getting enough clout to push through ways to slow them down.

If there was a way to just leave the World Congress, then that would defeat the purpose. The only guy that would benefit from that is the one that was far enough ahead to cop the penalties. If he's rendered immune to the World Congress by rebelling, then there's nothing those smaller civs can do to influence him. He won't pay the standing army tax, he won't adhere to nuclear non-proliferation, he's probably self-sufficient enough to not need trades, so there's nothing anybody can really do about them.

The World Congress isn't perfect, but I think that removing the rebelling option was a good idea.

I guess I'd have to disagree. The only time you can really start pushing things through unilaterally is in the later ages, and the only time you can have things that effect other players outside of embargoes are later in the game. By that point I would say going rogue should be an option. Go too early and get crushed by the embargoes. Go late and not be powerful enough get crushed by economic sanctions and military might. I think if you're genuinely powerful enough to unilaterally shrug off the United Nations, then you'd probably won the game anyways. I think the method of allowing for open rebellion gives civs that would have other methods to win a way to do so since a United Nations victory requires a simple purchase of city states. I think its a good way to offset the city-state-buy-to-win model it has going on now.

Another thing dragging Civ 5 down is the UI. If you're not paying attention to the top middle of your screen at all times and right when the turn ends, you run the risk of missing all the combat notices, exploration notices, and any other notifications. Why they have them pop up in small text and then disappear forever makes no sense to me.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Flesnolk posted:

Sure, but it was just a fast(er) travel mechanic and a storage space. For a modern game, people would probably want to actually drive it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Byzantine posted:

Horses went extinct (in North America at least) after the War in Fallout.

Motorcycles/the car would be cool, but I can't help but think some flavor would be lost if you go barreling down the highways running over bandits and ghouls and deathclaws.

Then the deathclaws don't stop for motorcycles, the motorcycles stop for deathclaws.

And they'd have to be faster than motorcycles because giving the player a way to easily outspeed deathclaws goes against everything I've ever known.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then the deathclaws don't stop for motorcycles, the motorcycles stop for deathclaws.

And they'd have to be faster than motorcycles because giving the player a way to easily outspeed deathclaws goes against everything I've ever known.

Now I'm imagining a future Fallout player cruising in a car, looking sideways out the window and seeing a deathclaw just kind of walking alongside at the same pace.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

This game Valdis Story is a fun Metroidvania that ranks you on boss fights and you get bonuses for getting higher ranks. The problem is the ranks upgrade your skills, so if you gently caress up a battle you're handicapping yourself for the rest of the game. I'm not far enough to know if the numbers are so small that the difference is marginal, but it still bugs my OCD knowing even beating a boss is kinda worthless if I don't do it perfectly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

scarycave posted:

I think a car could work out pretty well in a FO3 FO:NV setting if anyone but Bethseda does the coding for it.
The car was pretty much FO2's chocobo.

That car is in New Vegas as an easter egg, just wrecked and embedded in the ground (as it probably would be if Bethesda tried to implement it as an actual vehicle). :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

You would think at some point in the last few hundred years of fallout someone would have got a car working at some point.

Fallout Tactics had a driving skill, and Fallout 2 had the Highwayman.

The Enclave also had tons of stuff but apparently the last of them are in Denver or Chicago or something.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Even without Deathclaws there's still Cazadores.

Caeser's Legion in Van Bruen used chariots, too. Incidently, Van Bruen had like 4 cars to pick from.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Anatharon posted:

Even without Deathclaws there's still Cazadores.

Caeser's Legion in Van Bruen used chariots, too. Incidently, Van Bruen had like 4 cars to pick from.

Things like Cazadores and Deathclaws are already easy to outrun if you just cripple one of their legs or wings. Especially in Fallout 3 that gave you the one shot insta-cripple dart gun.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kimmalah posted:

Things like Cazadores and Deathclaws are already easy to outrun if you just cripple one of their legs or wings. Especially in Fallout 3 that gave you the one shot insta-cripple dart gun.

I miss the dart gun. It made every deathclaw hobble slowly towards you and you could take your time shooting it in the head before it could even reach striking distance.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Action Tortoise posted:

I miss the dart gun. It made every deathclaw hobble slowly towards you and you could take your time shooting it in the head before it could even reach striking distance.

As always, there's a mod. And if there isn't, there should be.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Kimmalah posted:

That car is in New Vegas as an easter egg, just wrecked and embedded in the ground (as it probably would be if Bethesda tried to implement it as an actual vehicle). :v:

Huh. Never found that one before.

Speaking of which, since we're on FO chat.
I don't know if it was just me - but the game is pretty much unforgiving with those random encounters most of the time.
The game is really not shy about kicking your rear end the first five minutes in by flanking you with a gently caress ton of scorpions.
Heck, even the rats in the intro-cave can pretty much kill you if your character has bad aim, and they're normal rear end rats too.

Also, cross-fire. Goddammit Marcus.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr Christmas posted:

I just got my first taste of the truely insane enemy level scaling in Borderlands 2's Ultimate Vault Hunter difficulty. Holy crap, the complainers weren't kidding.

I was a level 52 (slightly over the original max level) commando who has a skill at the top of one of the trees that causes a gigantic nuclear explosion when I deploy my turret, and a bunch of rare and a few epic level 50 weapons and a legendary level 50 incindiary sniper rifle. The only weapon I have that can reliably kill enemies is an epic rocket launcher. No, even the turret nuke can't. My shield is a kind that slightly decreases your maximum health in exchange for a very large shield capacity, and it still goes down in a stray hit. I decided "screw this" during a sequence in the beginning where you blast at a few waves of enemies with a giant turret that previously splattered groups of enemies in one hit. Even that couldn't reliably kill enemies, and often threw them to where I couldn't hit them. I was invulnerable in the turret, but goddamn.

Borderlands 2 has got the singularly worst difficulty scaling I've ever seen in a game. I just can't imagine any of them actually playtesting the stupid game and thinking, hey, this is fun, my level 53 purple does no damage against this level 55 trash mob, cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This main be a thing that raises the game up for some people, but the lack of any sort of land-wanted-level in Assassin's Creed Black Flag is kind of silly. You've always been a one man army in Asscreed, but not having a wanted level to keep low kills any incentive you have to solve things via stealth rather than just single handedly killing 30 guys every time you want to steal a painting or whatever.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

This game Valdis Story is a fun Metroidvania that ranks you on boss fights and you get bonuses for getting higher ranks. The problem is the ranks upgrade your skills, so if you gently caress up a battle you're handicapping yourself for the rest of the game. I'm not far enough to know if the numbers are so small that the difference is marginal, but it still bugs my OCD knowing even beating a boss is kinda worthless if I don't do it perfectly.

I felt the same way about the Megaman Zero games.

IIRC, it's something along the lines of you only get the boss weapon if you A-rank the boss... and went into the level with an A-rank to get a more difficult boss to begin with.

And you reduce your rank if you use any of the once-per game collectables - permanently, in the case of the ones that give a permanent powerup.

Naturally, you can't replay the levels to try to get a better rank.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

The Moon Monster posted:

This main be a thing that raises the game up for some people, but the lack of any sort of land-wanted-level in Assassin's Creed Black Flag is kind of silly. You've always been a one man army in Asscreed, but not having a wanted level to keep low kills any incentive you have to solve things via stealth rather than just single handedly killing 30 guys every time you want to steal a painting or whatever.

Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free. You are a pirate.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The car works in Fallout 2 because it just makes the over map travel faster. It wouldn't work in FNV/FO3 for the exact same reason. If they had broad expanses of wasteland connected by an overmap, it might work, but as it is, it's pointless.

There is a mod that gives you a driveable car. it's powered via explosions. There's another mod that gives you a sorta beat up old van you can fix up. While it has no manual controls, you can have it fast travel to a couple of different locations if you've been there before.

Personally, I like wandering around the wastes as fast or as slow as my feet will carry me. Reminded me of doing the same thing in STALKER.

(and that dart gun is for chumps)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Final Fantasy 14:

This little fucker right here. You get 3 daily quests from this one NPC, and almost every drat day I have to do this one where its a transportation quest. Transportation quests are you carrying something somewhere, you're timed and every time you're hit you lose time. For this particular one you lose 10 seconds out of 50, and you need to run to specific spots to get your time reset to 50.

And this little fucker right here, every time I do this quest I need to run past him. There is no way to sneak around him (and even then maybe I'm just getting lucky, I thought enemy detection is based on line of sight but I've been wrong many times running behind something just for it to instantly turn around and sucker punch me) and you can't fight back, you can't sprint. So this little fucker attacks you and you'll lose 10 seconds of your time. And he'll chase your rear end, and he throws lightning balls at you so he doesn't even need to be near you. Once he starts casting that spell is going to hit you unless the rng decides that you dodged the attack. He attacks like every 2 seconds and you wont be at a full 50 seconds when you get to him. So in like 6 seconds he can bring you from 30 seconds (if you're lucky to arrive with that much time) to 0 and you have to restart all over. If you kill him and run all the way back to pick back up the item you're transporting he would of respawned by the time you get back. You need to rely on another player to kill him/distract him to get past him without him loving up your quest.

I really loving hate this guy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The best 'vehicle' mod I ever found for Fallout 3 was a TARDIS, with a functional control console that sent you to a bunch of different locations depending on what you hit on it.

I could never do anything more than have it crash in the sea outside of Rivet City, but I like how it actually managed to find its own way to suit both source materials.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Borderlands is waaay too grindy. How is it getting a third game?

I have no idea why I play it. I find Krieg kinda fun.. But he also sorta sucks. He's all about the ~zany~ humor and isn't very good.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

SpookyLizard posted:

The car works in Fallout 2 because it just makes the over map travel faster. It wouldn't work in FNV/FO3 for the exact same reason. If they had broad expanses of wasteland connected by an overmap, it might work, but as it is, it's pointless.

Exactly. It works in Fallout 2 because that game is basically a bunch of areas connected by vast expanses of nothing. In NV/F3 they tried actually filling these areas of nothing with little interesting bits to make them worth exploring and walking around in.

Playing Sacred Citadel with a friend right now and it's pretty annoying how damage-spongey enemies can get. Also what's the point of having an attack that sends enemies flying across the screen when their flying body doesn't actually knockback/hurt other enemies? Come on, that's like lesson 1 in Beat 'em ups 101.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Jul 1, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Anatharon posted:

Borderlands is waaay too grindy. How is it getting a third game?

I have no idea why I play it. I find Krieg kinda fun.. But he also sorta sucks. He's all about the ~zany~ humor and isn't very good.

Its not so much a 3rd game but something that was planned as an expansion and they spun it off into its own game.

Also, not defending the bad scaling, but are you guys slagging enemies? Slag is 100% required for UVHM.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah, it is required, and that reminds me how much I hate the stupid rear end slag mechanic.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

re: Fallout and Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrH16kB9sro

:allears:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Leal posted:

Final Fantasy 14:

This little fucker right here. You get 3 daily quests from this one NPC, and almost every drat day I have to do this one where its a transportation quest. Transportation quests are you carrying something somewhere, you're timed and every time you're hit you lose time. For this particular one you lose 10 seconds out of 50, and you need to run to specific spots to get your time reset to 50.

And this little fucker right here, every time I do this quest I need to run past him. There is no way to sneak around him (and even then maybe I'm just getting lucky, I thought enemy detection is based on line of sight but I've been wrong many times running behind something just for it to instantly turn around and sucker punch me) and you can't fight back, you can't sprint. So this little fucker attacks you and you'll lose 10 seconds of your time. And he'll chase your rear end, and he throws lightning balls at you so he doesn't even need to be near you. Once he starts casting that spell is going to hit you unless the rng decides that you dodged the attack. He attacks like every 2 seconds and you wont be at a full 50 seconds when you get to him. So in like 6 seconds he can bring you from 30 seconds (if you're lucky to arrive with that much time) to 0 and you have to restart all over. If you kill him and run all the way back to pick back up the item you're transporting he would of respawned by the time you get back. You need to rely on another player to kill him/distract him to get past him without him loving up your quest.

I really loving hate this guy.

I assume 14 works like 11, so some mobs work on LoS, some work on sound, some work on scent. Get a deodourizer or whatever it's called, see if that helps.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Me too. That and the railway rifle. It wasn't the best gun in the game but sometimes it's just fun to pin ghoul heads to a wall with a gun that goes choo choo.

scarycave posted:

Huh. Never found that one before.

Speaking of which, since we're on FO chat.
I don't know if it was just me - but the game is pretty much unforgiving with those random encounters most of the time.
The game is really not shy about kicking your rear end the first five minutes in by flanking you with a gently caress ton of scorpions.
Heck, even the rats in the intro-cave can pretty much kill you if your character has bad aim, and they're normal rear end rats too.

Also, cross-fire. Goddammit Marcus.

Yeah, it's a marked location if you want to find it. The reference went completely over my head when I found it. :v:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Kimmalah posted:

Me too. That and the railway rifle. It wasn't the best gun in the game but sometimes it's just fun to pin ghoul heads to a wall with a gun that goes choo choo.

At least the Shishkebob made it. Really don't know why they decided to get rid of that crafting mechanic, guess they figured you wouldn't need it with the whole weapons add-on thing.

I got Sonic Generations on the 360 for 7 bucks, and I completely forgot how much I disliked Sonic Unleashed.
Granted the level designs are a lot safer, there's no insta-death traps that blend in with the background for starters.
There are still a few areas where you can barely tell what's going on because of how fast your going or where not launch yourself.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

I got Sonic Generations on the 360 for 7 bucks, and I completely forgot how much I disliked Sonic Unleashed.
Granted the level designs are a lot safer, there's no insta-death traps that blend in with the background for starters.
There are still a few areas where you can barely tell what's going on because of how fast your going or where not launch yourself.

The way Generations is, that can sometimes come down to the stage's visuals. They now have signs that tell you where instadeath pits are, which is a great addition, but one stage in particular is actually kind of bad about that sort of thing.

In a way it's fitting that the Sonic 2006 stage has some bad design elements, but Generations honestly couldn't help the worst one--Crisis City is mostly reds, oranges and browns, so while every other stage is very high-contrast and relatively easy to make out at high speeds, Crisis City's features start blending in and becoming hard to discern. It's a shame, because I genuinely think that Crisis City is the best level in the game outside of that.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just played Gone Home, and though I don't see what the big deal is supposed to be, I finished it so it can't have been that bad. But my god, the lights. Why are the ceiling lights so bad that every room needs two lamps as well? Was that really necessary?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

holy poo poo, this would be a great addition to the game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've got one for Sniper Elite 3. Every time you receive damage from something, your ability to shoot is completely disabled for a few moments. As you might imagine in a game like this you're often taking pretty difficult shots from a long distance, so that can make quite the difference. You're in a heated firefight an just lined up a split-second shot at some dude's dome but then the game's just like "nope" and blocks your controls because some dude 500 meters over there winged you. I don't even particularly mind that being hit spoils your shot, but letting you hammer the trigger to no effect is probably the most annoying way to implement that.

You can usually work around that by stealthing around a lot and not getting into opposed firefights in the first place, but occasionally there are places where there's too much open ground to cover with your silenced pistol and no reliable noise sources to cover your rifle shots. And that's if the game doesn't decide to just drop a tank in your way and demands that you destroy it before you may proceed with your ostensibly covert-ops mission. Snipers were always part-time tank-hunters, right? :shepface:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
My last few gripes with Tomb Raider

The game's controls change depending on the situation. Normally it's all platforming but when you run into enemies the combat kicks in and Lara automatically takes cover behind barriers. The problem with auto cover is that Lara gets way too sticky with the cover and can glitch out. Some fights ended in failure because Lara decided to circle around the cover and expose herself instead of sticking exactly behind it. I would have preferred a dedicated crouch button that lets me move freely without being magnetized to the wall.

Unlocking weapon upgrades by finding parts is cool but I find the bow to be the weirdest jump cosmetically. It goes from a bundle of sticks bound with string to an Elven-looking bow to competition archer bows. And the hundreds of bow-wielding enemies have the same competition bow. Did a sporting goods boat crash onto the island?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Action Tortoise posted:

My last few gripes with Tomb Raider

The game's controls change depending on the situation. Normally it's all platforming but when you run into enemies the combat kicks in and Lara automatically takes cover behind barriers. The problem with auto cover is that Lara gets way too sticky with the cover and can glitch out. Some fights ended in failure because Lara decided to circle around the cover and expose herself instead of sticking exactly behind it. I would have preferred a dedicated crouch button that lets me move freely without being magnetized to the wall.

Unlocking weapon upgrades by finding parts is cool but I find the bow to be the weirdest jump cosmetically. It goes from a bundle of sticks bound with string to an Elven-looking bow to competition archer bows. And the hundreds of bow-wielding enemies have the same competition bow. Did a sporting goods boat crash onto the island?

It's pretty funny how the enemies always seem to get new weapons right after you get yours, but I guess it's a way of avoiding the question of "well, why the hell don't I just pick up some dead guy's gun?" Although enemies having the fancy competition bows does explain how the fat dude had one to give to Lara. Presumably he killed someone and took it from them.

But seriously, Tomb Raider is an awesome game and if you didn't pick it up during the Steam Sale you're seriously missing out.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just started playing Journey of a Roach and it seems pretty good, except that it does that thing a lot of old adventure games would do where you try to do something and it tells you "you're too far away". Most adventure games these days just have the character move to whatever you click then interact with it, and I can't see any reason why that's "most" and not "all".

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Thats the mod i was talking about. Powered by explosions.

Tomb Raider does suffer from jank controls. The dodge button especially. Sometimes you can press it on its own and Lara will deftly dodge out of the way. Sometimes she just stands there and gets stabbed in the face.

Also guys who have nothing but sharp sticks charging the PC equipped with a machinegun. Why the gently caress do games need melee focused enemies? Its doubly tiresome in this because i have no hipfiring options. I would buy that they don't have no bullets, but every other guy has a bow, machine gun, or infinite molotovz. So i don't buy it. Double on the guys with ballistic shields. Because that is still s thing for some reason.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's a little thing, but when PC ports of games don't go to the trouble to update their prompts with your actual keyboard settings so they just give non-advice like "To holster your weapon, hit the Holster Weapon key" :downsbravo:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Or even worse, when they still have the Xbox controller logos for the keys when you're using a mouse and keyboard. "To attack press the RB trigger".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's a little thing, but when PC ports of games don't go to the trouble to update their prompts with your actual keyboard settings so they just give non-advice like "To holster your weapon, hit the Holster Weapon key" :downsbravo:

To use your melee attack, press the [tiny icon of a fist] button.