Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So it starts online tomorrow (in stores Tuesday). Probably skipping out again though since I can't afford to spend the money (unlike previous times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Yeah, it already started. Hoping to pick up two per week (having two jobs pays off for once). Started off with Zissou and Band of Outsiders.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dr.Caligari posted:

So, in excitement for Tuesday and the (hopefully) 50% off sale, what titles are on you shopping list?

The Life Aquatic!

By the way, you can reserve titles to pick up at a B&N store today (they're still at full price), and pick them up tomorrow on a discount.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I was thinking that, but so far I haven't had much luck with my store having the ones I want in stock. Will the 50% be on Criterions web site too? If I have to order, I would rather order through them and get the points

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I was thinking that, but so far I haven't had much luck with my store having the ones I want in stock. Will the 50% be on Criterions web site too? If I have to order, I would rather order through them and get the points

Nah, but they have their own 24 hour flash sales they also do once or twice a year, so just keep a lookout for those.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm trying to save money for my wedding, but I couldn't resist the Demy set for $62.49.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm trying to save money for my wedding, but I couldn't resist the Demy set for $62.49.

Congrats!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

How long does the sale run for? Scanners comes out on the 15th...

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Cacator posted:

How long does the sale run for? Scanners comes out on the 15th...

Officially it runs until July 28th, so you're fine.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Please bump the thread once scanners is out so I can remember to grab it on the sale.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Please bump the thread once scanners is out so I can remember to grab it on the sale.

1. Sign up for google/gmail
2. Get on Google calendar
3. Click 15 July and put down SCANNERS ON SALE RUN TO THE loving B&N STORE RIGHT AWAY (it will email you a reminder)
4. You are now a grown-rear end adult

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ineffiable posted:

Why not just pre-order it?

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
I always blind buy one or two movies during the sale. I already picked up Persona, Like Someone in Love, and Tess, during a previous sale, so I'm looking to buy a few that I don't really know anything about.

Any suggestions, from the list below or otherwise? (I already own usual suggestions like House, The Night of the Hunter, and Repo Man, and I'll be picking up Close-Up for myself and A Hard Day's Night for my dad.)

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

Or should I just wait for the Demy boxset?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Dr.Caligari posted:

So, in excitement for Tuesday and the (hopefully) 50% off sale, what titles are on you shopping list?

Thinking of getting:
- The Night of the Hunter
- Solaris
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- 8 1/2
- Brazil

Other items I was considering are: Scanners, Repo Man, M, Paris Texas, Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, The Seventh Seal, Videodrome, Rashomon, Yojimbo & Sanjuro, For All Mankind.
Already own: House, Seven Samurai, 12 Angry Men, Godzilla.

Most of these are blind buys, so any recommendations regarding which are must-haves will always be appreciated.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Old Ash posted:

I always blind buy one or two movies during the sale. I already picked up Persona, Like Someone in Love, and Tess, during a previous sale, so I'm looking to buy a few that I don't really know anything about.

Any suggestions, from the list below or otherwise? (I already own usual suggestions like House, The Night of the Hunter, and Repo Man, and I'll be picking up Close-Up for myself and A Hard Day's Night for my dad.)

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

I happen to think Cronos is pretty fantastic, as is The Ballad of Narayama.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Someone talk me into blind buying John Cassavetes - Five Films. Patiently waiting for a Cineplex store sale to go nuts with Criterions but they don't have any boxsets, B&N sucks for Canada.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Safe Driver posted:

Someone talk me into blind buying John Cassavetes - Five Films. Patiently waiting for a Cineplex store sale to go nuts with Criterions but they don't have any boxsets, B&N sucks for Canada.

I dunno, I'm ordering from Canada and $4 + $2 per item for shipping, no import (as far as I can tell) seems fairly reasonable.

When do you think the next Cineplex sale will be? Is the main advantage the Scene points?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
You won't regret the Cassavetes set, they're still some of the freshest, most exhilarating films out there. Every time I see them again, it's a revelation. It's probably the best set in the entire collection.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I dunno, I'm ordering from Canada and $4 + $2 per item for shipping, no import (as far as I can tell) seems fairly reasonable.

When do you think the next Cineplex sale will be? Is the main advantage the Scene points?

You get Scene points plus they usually have a "spend this amount get a free movie ticket deal" on top. Very fast free shipping, plus you pay in Canadian. I remember there being a summer/fall sale, but for sure there is one around Boxing Day.

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 30, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Thinking of getting:
- The Night of the Hunter
- Solaris
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- 8 1/2
- Brazil

Other items I was considering are: Scanners, Repo Man, M, Paris Texas, Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, The Seventh Seal, Videodrome, Rashomon, Yojimbo & Sanjuro, For All Mankind.
Already own: House, Seven Samurai, 12 Angry Men, Godzilla.

Most of these are blind buys, so any recommendations regarding which are must-haves will always be appreciated.

The answer is "Always buy Night of the Hunter."

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Safe Driver posted:

I blind bought the Cassavetes DVD box years ago and haven't regretted it at all. If you like American independent films, films from the 70's, then you really can't go wrong. I love A Woman Under The Influence, but really any of his films are fantastic.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 30, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Old Ash posted:

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

Buy the poo poo out of World on a Wire. It's a crazy fascinating movie. Long, but great.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Old Ash posted:

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

These are all pretty great (I'm not personally a fan of Nashville, but plenty of others are). Picnic, Jules and Long Day Closes are all top 100 movies for me.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Yeah, right now I'm hoping to grab:

A Hard Day's Night
Scanners
Picnic at Hanging Rock
All That Heaven Allows
A Brief History of Time
Red River
The Hidden Fortress
Jules et Jim
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Ace in the Hole
(maaaybe the Cassavettes set?)

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Safe Driver posted:

Woman Under the Influence alone is perhaps the ur-example of American independent filmmaking and one of the best movies ever made. Passionate exhilarating stuff.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Shouldn't be getting anything but I got something.

When Horror Came to Sonichu [e: SHOCHIKU!] and Picnic at Hanging Rock.

Should be a crazy weekend of watching movies.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 3, 2014

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

You've all talked me into it, looking forward to diving in.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Old Ash posted:

Ace in the Hole
All That Heaven Allows
Judex
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Jules and Jim
The Long Day Closes
Nashville
Thief
World on a Wire

The Ballard of Narayama, Ministry of Fear, I Married a Witch, Jubal, Letter Never Sent, Gate of Hell, Summer Interlude and The Uninvited are all typically $5 cheaper than others for some reason. I've seen and recommened the highlighted ones.

Most of the favorites in my collection are still only on DVD.. Bicycle Thieves, Passion of Joan of Arc and Make Way for Tomorrow.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I think I got it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rough_Night_in_Jericho_(film)

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Oh man, I haven't seen that movie, but I would be right on that. Somehow westerns have grown to be one of my 'top 3' genres.

Now if Criterion was able/would get around to releasing High Noon

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I got carried away. Ace in the Hole, Foreign Correspondent, The Hidden Fortress, Thief, Throne of Blood, The Life Aquatic, The Freshman and The 400 Blows. These are all blind buys.

Someone want to sell me on Picnic at Hanging Rock? I see a lot of people recommending/getting it, so I figure I'd inquire. Also, did I miss anything else since the last sale? Red River is also tempting me.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Apart from A Hard Day's Night, I'm having a bit of trouble justifying purchases of anything I'm keen on save titles that may go OOP between now and the next Criterion.com Flash Sale (e.g. Belle Du Jour, and MAYBE Pandora's Box?), mainly due to sales tax. That said, in case my impulse buying takes control at some point,

What might be some good blind buys for someone who owns (and loves) among others:

Nights of Cabiria/Amarcord/La Strada/every Fellini film, for the most part
The Qatsi Trilogy
Every Wes Anderson film on Criterion
Crumb
Hausu
Phantom of Liberty
Harold and Maude
Being John Malkovich
Jacques Tati (e.g. Playtime)

Other notes:
- I can't get into Bergman (despite having watched Wild Strawberries/The Seventh Seal multiple times - though I do like Woody Allen's pastiches of Bergman's works)
- Truffaut/Goddard are alright, but they kinda leave me cold?
- Cleo from 9 to 5, I rather liked. Perhaps Jacques Demy might be my style? The BBS Story?

Pappyland fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 1, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Are those the only Bergmans you've seen?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Anyone else a B&N member and noticing that your discount isn't being applied to orders online? It should be 60%, to my knowledge the extra 10% applies to all sale merchandise, but I'm only getting 50% off.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone else a B&N member and noticing that your discount isn't being applied to orders online? It should be 60%, to my knowledge the extra 10% applies to all sale merchandise, but I'm only getting 50% off.

The 10% membership discount only applies to in-store purchases, doesn't it? Online purchases don't get the discount.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Are those the only Bergmans you've seen?

Yes. I have yet to see Persona/Fanny and Alexander

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Pappyland posted:

Oh! I was gonna say, they're definitely two of his more austere films. Fanny and Alexander is very warm and lovely.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Slate Action posted:

The 10% membership discount only applies to in-store purchases, doesn't it? Online purchases don't get the discount.

That's right. You do get free express shipping, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pappyland posted:

Fanny and Alexander is a lovely, lovely film, so if you're willing to test the waters one more time with Bergman I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Pappyland posted:

Nights of Cabiria/Amarcord/La Strada/every Fellini film, for the most part
The Qatsi Trilogy
Every Wes Anderson film on Criterion
Crumb
Hausu
Phantom of Liberty
Harold and Maude
Being John Malkovich
Jacques Tati (e.g. Playtime)

Hausu should be one of the first Criterions anyone buys.