Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

Wait what?

I vaguely recall some weird poo poo with Urkle doing science experiments or something but nothing that crazy.

Basically the Urkle stuff got more and more elaborate, including stuff like Stefan becoming a completely separate person who was then permanently around. Which they did so they didn't actually have to resolve the love triangle they had between Steve and two girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Urkel and Carl go back in time on board a 1700s pirate vessel, where they are made to walk the plank after Urkel accidentally drops his time travel watch overboard. Can they escape back to their present time before they become sharkbait?
Note: This was the final episode that aired on ABC. This episode aired in 3-D as part of ABC's "3-D Week" promotion.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
TGIF did a lot of weird gimmick episodes. I remember one night they had magic shenanigans on Sabrina the Teenage Witch make it and the other shows in the block all jump into different time periods, which resulted in stuff like a Boy Meets World ep set in the 1940s where Cory is drafted into WW2.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp, wrap it up:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32742/nbc-s-constantine-will-not-feature-smoking

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Just to elaborate, first of all every season has a different intro. In s2 there was a story arc about a computer virus that was created to infect the major plot device of the show, so the intro would get super corrupted and reboot during relevant episodes. In s3 there was an all flashback episode that used the s1 intro in rewind, and an episode from the point of view of a different character, who wrangled the opening narration from the usual protagonist.
Don't forget that the POI of the episode also normally shows up in the title sequence!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
at the risk of sounding like a broken record Northern Exposure and Rectify have totally awesome openings.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All Miller/Boyett shows are slightly altered versions of classic sitcoms. Perfect Strangers is Laverne and Shirley with men, Step By Step is the Brady Bunch with the sexes of the children reversed, and Family Matters is Happy Days with a nerd instead of Fonzie.

In light of that, it's weird that it ended like Mork and Mindy.

I have no idea what Teen Angel was supposed to be.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Jack Gladney posted:

I have no idea what Teen Angel was supposed to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYyw84MiEFY

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

hcreight posted:

TGIF did a lot of weird gimmick episodes. I remember one night they had magic shenanigans on Sabrina the Teenage Witch make it and the other shows in the block all jump into different time periods, which resulted in stuff like a Boy Meets World ep set in the 1940s where Cory is drafted into WW2.

90s television was pretty dire but I love all the dumb weird gimmicks they pulled. Like when Cartoon Network showed nothing but the same Screwy Squirrel cartoon over and over for April Fool's Day.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

It was a de-luxe apartment.
It was also in the sky, which is, quite literally, "up".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus the full lyric is "moving on up to the East side."

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

IRQ posted:

Wait what?

I vaguely recall some weird poo poo with Urkle doing science experiments or something but nothing that crazy.

Also Stevil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHkOyiqoHUM

I want to play a game

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Is there any show on TV with cinematography anywhere as close to the quality of Breaking Bad? I feel that even if the acting, writing, and story had all been bad, the show would still have been mesmerizing just due to it's creative camera work and incredible landscapes. Google images

Also, is there any other show that mixes humor and drama as well as BB?

I wonder if I'll ever like a show as much again. I've got nothing to watch now until Walking Dead returns in Oct and the last season of WD was terrible and painful to sit through anyway. Looking to try something else. I was considering Hannibal, House of Cards, The Shield, Rome, or True Detective.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Is there any show on TV with cinematography anywhere as close to the quality of Breaking Bad? I feel that even if the acting, writing, and story had all been bad, the show would still have been mesmerizing just due to it's creative camera work and incredible landscapes. Google images

Hannibal and Mad Men are the best examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In terms of cinematography check out Utopia. It even goes a step further and has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Season 1 trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3gxwIqqzB4

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I thought Fargo had some fantastic cinematography and shot composition.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

In terms of cinematography check out Utopia. It even goes a step further and has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

Season 1 trailer

Seconded.

Rectify is also a beautifully shot show. [/precision] :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

Plus the full lyric is "moving on up to the East side."

Yes, I get that, but that doesn't change the fact that it implies that the move is to a better place. And maybe it's because I grew up in the suburbs but I can't imagine an apartment being better than a proper house unless it's a really nice apartment or a really lovely house, and the Jeffersons' apartment didn't seem all that great.

Is there some implication to "the East side" that I've never caught on to?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They moved from Queens to Manhattan. East side Manhattan is a very affluent neighbourhood.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ah, well that makes sense.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Also it was the 70s, the nadir of interior design.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Is there any show on TV with cinematography anywhere as close to the quality of Breaking Bad? I feel that even if the acting, writing, and story had all been bad, the show would still have been mesmerizing just due to it's creative camera work and incredible landscapes

Not as intentionally showy, but Boardwalk Empire has a lot of good camerawork, though a lot of CGI too. True Detective had some great shots, and Miami Vice holds up pretty well; a lot of what was considered out there when it first aired later became cliches.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 30, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Season 1 trailer

The reason you should watch Utopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VGtX9xfh0

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lots of shows do lots of stuff as well as Breaking Bad and some even do it better. Given the list of shows you haven't watched it sounds more like the problem is you not watching enough good TV, rather than enough good TV not existing. You'll be fine.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Welp, that's hooked me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's what got me hooked too.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Well, my interest in this show is now piqued. I heard it was an ephemeral show though, lasting only 6 episodes?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, but series 2 starts very soon.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Series 2 starts in July, they haven't specified a date yet.Here's the thread if you wanna catch up and talk about it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
It might be too early to say but all the people complaining about The Leftovers are probably the same people who took Lost way too seriously and felt like they got crucified by the finale.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, Will Arnett as the MRI technician that Leslie gets set up with in Parks & Rec is loving hilarious.

"Can you imagine if you had to spend the rest of your life sipping a steak through a straw?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why did nobody tell me Paterson Joseph was in the Leftovers? :neckbeard:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sober posted:

It might be too early to say but all the people complaining about The Leftovers are probably the same people who took Lost way too seriously and felt like they got crucified by the finale.

I never watched more than bits and pieces of Lost and have no desire to give it a full watch because of the way people argue about it, and I enjoyed The Leftovers' pilot but hardly thought it was perfect either. The way the first four episodes were glowingly reviewed by a bunch of people does leave me wondering if it ups its game going forward.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Under the Dome returns tonight which I'm sure you're all very excited about.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

Holy balls. Congratulations, you son of a bitch! Question (answer if possible): who did you use as your phone-a-friend? Does that show even have a phone lifeline anymore?

They were pretty clear that I couldn't talk about the lifelines in my game for understandable reasons (and the show's lawyer was such a nice guy that I don't want to disappoint him), but they haven't used phone-a-friend since 2011.

Annakie posted:

That is awesome! Please make a thread and let us know when you know your episode is gonna air. I hope you're a millionaire or at least significantly richer than you were yesterday!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TVIV > Oafish, Fat Goon Wants to be Millionaire; Gets Yelled at by Terry Crews

...too much?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TVIV > Oafish, Fat Goon Wants to be Millionaire; Gets Yelled at by Terry Crews

...too much?

Fat should go before oafish. It rolls off the tongue better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FX had so many complaints about this billboard they took it down:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Aughhhh I can't stand it when eyes get touched, pierced, or anything. It makes me squirm worse than any other kind of body horror.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hope and vaseline posted:

Aughhhh I can't stand it when eyes get touched, pierced, or anything. It makes me squirm worse than any other kind of body horror.

Yeah, I can't bear to look at that.

Also, Seth MacFarlane is a ridiculously nice person, apparently.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hope and vaseline posted:

Eh, its no worse than putting in contact lenses or undergoing LASIK surgery.

Best part of LASIK? After they cut open and peel back the outer layer of your eye, you go blind for a few minutes. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

zoux posted:

FX had so many complaints about this billboard they took it down:

Is this a show about river blindness? What do parasites have to do with vampures?

• Locked thread