Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yep, like I said, the arc One Moment in Time specifically focuses on this(after which they basically ignore it). It even has Peter go full on Newspaper Spider-man!

I looked ahead and discovered I haven't got to One Moment in Time yet which might explain my confusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

greatn posted:

So does Peter have any new girlfriends? He ever try getting back together with Betty Brandt?

He's dated a few people. Also, he's had someone pretending to be him make out with his roommate and had someone else take over his body and get engaged. Safe to say, he still has relationship issues, and this time with creepy overtones!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

I looked ahead and discovered I haven't got to One Moment in Time yet which might explain my confusion!

It's not very good, so you don't have to hurry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It answers precisely zero questions you may have.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well one of my questions is "How well does Quesada write" so...

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

How old is Kate Bishop supposed to be these days? Like in Hawkguy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

How old is Kate Bishop supposed to be these days? Like in Hawkguy.

Early to mid-20s, I think?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
She freaks about her impending 21st birthday near the end of Young Avengers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

She freaks about her impending 21st birthday near the end of Young Avengers.

Yeah, a major plot point in Young Avengers is all the adults in the world being under the influence of an interdimensional parasite, so she was worried about falling under its influence when she turned 21.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, a major plot point in Young Avengers is all the adults in the world being under the influence of an interdimensional parasite, so she was worried about falling under its influence when she turned 21.

Is that the Young Avengers lead by Kid Loki? Is that good?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Unmature posted:

Yes, assuming you like Gillen/McKelvie. When it was coming out a lot of people had problems with the pacing, but as a collected work, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Unmature posted:

Yes and yes.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Yes, assuming you like Gillen/McKelvie. When it was coming out a lot of people had problems with the pacing, but as a collected work, that shouldn't be much of an issue.

I've only read a little from them but I've liked it all. I'll check it out, thanks.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Cool, I'd only read the older YA run and not this latest. I'll start it whenever I finish Journey Into Mystery.

Little did I know asking a character's age would get me a run to read. Comics!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm so how did Jackal know Peter Parker was Spiderman then? Get it together Strange.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Hmmm so how did Jackal know Peter Parker was Spiderman then? Get it together Strange.

Do you mean back in the original Clone Saga? I think Osborn told him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I mean in Spider Island.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Metal Loaf posted:

Do you mean back in the original Clone Saga? I think Osborn told him.

He found out when his clone of Parker had spider-powers.

I neither know nor give a poo poo about anything that happened in Spider Island.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Cloak and Dagger Spider Island mini was worth the event.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Cloak and Dagger Spider Island mini was worth the event.

Did they ever do anything with that? I've only seen pallette swapped C&D once, and that was to get punched in one panel by Superior Spiderman.

Also, does Avengers World replace an Avengers title or is it a third title?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Did they ever do anything with that? I've only seen pallette swapped C&D once, and that was to get punched in one panel by Superior Spiderman.

Also, does Avengers World replace an Avengers title or is it a third title?

Its the fourth title.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you counting AI or AU or is there another?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Are you counting AI or AU or is there another?

Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers World, and the fifth is Uncanny Avengers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Avengers World, and the fifth is Uncanny Avengers.

As someone who hasn't read Avengers....ever, what is the difference between all these titles?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

As someone who hasn't read Avengers....ever, what is the difference between all these titles?

Avengers is them dealing with huge threats
New Avengers is the Illuminati contemplating blowing up alternate universes.
Avengers world is ??
Mighty Avengers is more street level. They are dealing with vampires right now.
Uncanny Avengers is a mix of Avengers and X-men. They are currently dealing with Kang and the Apocalypse twins/time travel poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Madkal posted:

Avengers and New Avengers are the two main books that are being written by the same guy (Jonathan Hickman) and complement each other. Mighty Avengers is a fun street level team book dealing with mostly B and C-tier heroes like Luke Cage. Avengers World is kind of a sidestory book featuring some of the less pronounced members of the Avengers team that don't get to do much in the two main books right now. Uncanny Avengers is its own thing entirely, written by Rick Remender as a pseudo-sequel to his Uncanny X-Force run, with a team that's part Avengers and part X-Men. Unlike the others, it basically doesn't acknowledge anything that's going on in any other book or the greater Marvel universe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Madkal posted:

Ignore the two posts above mine, and read Gavok's OP to the Avengers thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Many of the descriptions are out of date now.

In New Avengers they have moved on to fighting the Justice League, while in Avengers it's Even More Time Travel Shenanigans.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Many of the descriptions are out of date now.

In New Avengers they have moved on to fighting the Justice League, while in Avengers it's Even More Time Travel Shenanigans.

However, the time travel shenanigans are due to Cap's actions in New Avengers. You also find out that Clint does get his dog back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Red She-Hulk starts at #58, what's the preceding series?

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
In the last issue of Wolverine, death makes reference to Daken being alive. Is that just referring to Uncanny Avengers and him being a horseman or something else?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

zoux posted:

Red She-Hulk starts at #58, what's the preceding series?

Just plain ol' Hulk.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HitTheTargets posted:

Just plain ol' Hulk.

To expand on that, the first 24 issues were Jeph Loeb's Hulk, which kind of poo poo on the game-changing stuff Greg Pak did with the character beforehand that got everyone to care about Hulk again. It also introduced Red Hulk, whose identity was a mystery. His characterization was nothing more than, "I'M RED HULK AND I'M THE COOLEST, STRONGEST, MOST BADASS GUY EVER!" It was the worst.

Then at #25, Jeff Parker took over and the series became about utilizing Red Hulk as a hero. From the first issue, he turned Red Hulk into an infinitely more interesting character than the entirety of the entire Loeb run. #25 to #57 is really good stuff that ends just as it's starting to run out of gas. It becomes about Red She-Hulk and doesn't really do so well because she isn't really that deep of a character, especially compared to her father.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'm reading the Bruce Jones stuff immediately before the Pak run and whoooo buddy, did that fall off a cliff fast. The first story was cool and then, ughhh. Hmmm I've analyzed the blood of this Bruce Banner clone and it is patently different from the original Bruce Banner, he doesn't have radiation and can't change into a Hulk. Of course not, says the clone, if I could change into the Hulk then the evil shadowy orginization I work for would've kept me on as a Hulk. Bruce Banner turn into the Hulk so we can have some of your blood to save Betty. No I will not turn into the Hulk in front of this guy because he might have tricks. Well, says Doc Samson, if he has tricks why wouldn't he just use them here now? Because, says Actual Bruce, you are here Doc Sampson so he might think you will tip the balance. So instead I will go off by myself with the Clone and turn into the Hulk anyways. But OH NO the clone CAN turn into a Hulk and when they come back we won't know which one survived the original or the clone because we can't do a blood test to tell the difference.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm reading the Bruce Jones stuff immediately before the Pak run and whoooo buddy, did that fall off a cliff fast. The first story was cool and then, ughhh. Hmmm I've analyzed the blood of this Bruce Banner clone and it is patently different from the original Bruce Banner, he doesn't have radiation and can't change into a Hulk. Of course not, says the clone, if I could change into the Hulk then the evil shadowy orginization I work for would've kept me on as a Hulk. Bruce Banner turn into the Hulk so we can have some of your blood to save Betty. No I will not turn into the Hulk in front of this guy because he might have tricks. Well, says Doc Samson, if he has tricks why wouldn't he just use them here now? Because, says Actual Bruce, you are here Doc Sampson so he might think you will tip the balance. So instead I will go off by myself with the Clone and turn into the Hulk anyways. But OH NO the clone CAN turn into a Hulk and when they come back we won't know which one survived the original or the clone because we can't do a blood test to tell the difference.

The covers were awesome. The story inside not that much.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 1, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Were the Power Pack a really big deal in the mid-1980s? I've never read their series but they seem to show up in a lot of crossovers, and in some of them they seem like kind of an odd fit - off the top of my head, Katie Power shows up in a Barry Windsor-Smith issue of X-Men where Wolverine spends the entire story getting slaughtered by Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers, they have a "Mutant Massacre" tie-in where they fight Sabretooth, they're in Thor's Secret Wars II tie-in and meet the Beyonder, Katie Power shows up again as an old woman in a distant future visited by the New Mutants (the one where Magma and Sunspot are evil and mutants rule the world); I'm sure there's more on top of that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Were the Power Pack a really big deal in the mid-1980s? I've never read their series but they seem to show up in a lot of crossovers, and in some of them they seem like kind of an odd fit - off the top of my head, Katie Power shows up in a Barry Windsor-Smith issue of X-Men where Wolverine spends the entire story getting slaughtered by Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers, they have a "Mutant Massacre" tie-in where they fight Sabretooth, they're in Thor's Secret Wars II tie-in and meet the Beyonder, Katie Power shows up again as an old woman in a distant future visited by the New Mutants (the one where Magma and Sunspot are evil and mutants rule the world); I'm sure there's more on top of that.

I've read that the book didn't sell well but a lot of industry people were big fans of it and they did a lot of stuff to promote its popularity. Claremont especially was a fan, I've heard.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

Were the Power Pack a really big deal in the mid-1980s?
I mean, it ran for 62 issues. Someone was reading it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

A big enough deal to get a TV movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redbackground posted:

I mean, it ran for 62 issues. Someone was reading it.

It goes way downhill after about issue 30 when Loiuse Simonson wound down on it. She did about every other issue for a while and then left entirely.

But, yeah, it wasn't a big hit but it seems to have done okay as an all ages comic and people in Marvel liked the book so they got used all over the place. Besides, it gave Wolverine another young girl to team up with.