Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Ghostpilot posted:

Haha, how's that for irony? Though I can't rag on Lee and William too much: they were part of a Nero Wolfe Mystery which is some of the finest television that has ever aired. Monk was pretty good, too (at least for the first 3 seasons or so). Knowing the shows they'd move onto goes a long way towards explaining the crime / mystery bent many of these early episodes had.

I can't hate on them either, since She-wolf of London is my favorite show of all time. Lee even wrote some of my favorite eps for that. Still funny to read some of this stuff in hindsight though.

Also also She-wolf was created by Mick Garris, and originally created as a TV adaptation of An American Werewolf in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Miss Wallace posted:

Funny story about this show (they mention this ep specifically): Lee Goldberg and William Rabkin, the executive story editors for season one, basically thought this show should've never existed. If it seems from the stories that they didn't really want to make a lifeguard show, you're right. In an article from 1990, after the show was canceled but before it was brought back, they were making fun of it like it was this huge failure, and how they had to stretch to find things to do. So, they just kept trapping people somewhere, like in an armored car. Meanwhile, this article was about She-wolf of London, the show they did after that, and how it was gonna be big (it was canceled after one season).

This is amazing, and I'm shocked that I'm only learning it now. We're one step closer to Baywatch and SWOL taking place in the same universe.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nobody liked Beast Machines

I liked Beast Machines. :colbert: My first experience of arguing on the internet was over the show on a Transformer forum, to the point where one of the admins would edit my posts if I disagreed with the Accepted Truth that Beast Machines was the most horrible thing ever and how dare Bob Skir write a show where the mechanical transformers were the Bad Guys, etc.

From what I've read about it, the later Transformer shows were so bad that people retroactively went "Huh, looking back BM might've been better than I thought!", so I feel vindicated.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 29, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miss Wallace posted:

Meanwhile, this article was about She-wolf of London, the show they did after that, and how it was gonna be big (it was canceled after one season).

It's all connected. :tinfoil: (Didn't She-Wolf of London have a second season with a different title, though?)

I finished Forever Knight, by the way, and didn't mind season three. Thanks very much for recommending it; I had a really good time watching it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

From what I've read about it, the later Transformer shows were so bad that people retroactively went "Huh, looking back BM might've been better than I thought!", so I feel vindicated.
You just stirred a bunch of unpleasant memories of horrible disappointment. Great, now I want someone to take an in-depth look at how awful Energon was.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

The post-Beast Machines shows were all low-budget anime that completely turned me off of Transformers. Of course, I was also young enough to have only known Beast Wars, so a large part of my reaction was "what's this car bullshit?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Transformers Animated was good, as was Prime (though not AS good) but Beast Wars is still pretty much the best.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

It's all connected. :tinfoil: (Didn't She-Wolf of London have a second season with a different title, though?)

I finished Forever Knight, by the way, and didn't mind season three. Thanks very much for recommending it; I had a really good time watching it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

And SWoL technically had a second season, but it was really finishing the first one. Basically, it was an English/American co-production and the English backers pulled out, so in order to fulfill the 20 episode requirement they shot the last 6 episodes in LA and retitled it Love & Curses. It was retooled to emulate Moonlighting, trying way too hard to be funny, and is one of the worst genre shows ever. But it's worth a laugh anyway, ha ha.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Idiots, that's who! Apparently the pier is rebuilt sometime after this though because it's still around.

Funny story about this show (they mention this ep specifically): Lee Goldberg and William Rabkin, the executive story editors for season one, basically thought this show should've never existed. If it seems from the stories that they didn't really want to make a lifeguard show, you're right. In an article from 1990, after the show was canceled but before it was brought back, they were making fun of it like it was this huge failure, and how they had to stretch to find things to do. So, they just kept trapping people somewhere, like in an armored car. Meanwhile, this article was about She-wolf of London, the show they did after that, and how it was gonna be big (it was canceled after one season).

Wow, that episode brought up so many questions, like...why is Eddie apparently so uninterested in hanging out with Shaunie? If that's the case, why is she even his girlfriend? Is he looking for a beard instead of a girlfriend? Hell, freaking Hobie is about 10 times more straight than Eddie is, although that's not saying much because Hobie is just obnoxiously straight.

I think Baywatch suffers from the same problem that the Bletchley Circle suffers (and I like the Bletchley circle.) When you make your show about say, lifeguards, or women who know how to crack codes, there's only so many ways they can become involved in crime investigations before it becomes extremely contrived and lame. Not that "Armoured car" was a crime investigation, unless you count criminal negligence. It's just too easy for the show's premise to become forced - although I think that sort of thing was far more acceptable in the 80s.

Looking forward to the horrible mitch drag episode of Baywatch Nights. Please tell me you're going to review that one eventually.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DStecks posted:

The post-Beast Machines shows were all low-budget anime that completely turned me off of Transformers. Of course, I was also young enough to have only known Beast Wars, so a large part of my reaction was "what's this car bullshit?"

It's funny because I had practically the inverse reaction, having grown up with the G1/G2 Transformers toys and cartoon so I was like "what's this animal bullshit?" only for it to turn out to be one of the best Transformers shows in years. Then again, a lot of that had to do with having Mainframe/Rainmaker's creative talents behind it. ...Didn't really save Beast Machines from the drubbing it got from fans though.

Still, as an old school Transformers fan, I will admit that the Vehicons from Beast Machines had some pretty cool designs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Beast Wars and Machines were the only shows that bothered with consistent writing over action. Maybe if Canada gets another chance to make a show, they're might be a third.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tae posted:

Beast Wars and Machines were the only shows that bothered with consistent writing over action. Maybe if Canada gets another chance to make a show, they're might be a third.

Animated and Prime are both good in that regard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

Hell, Prime even learned that you don't have to drag the kids along on every mission after about the first 2/3'rds of the first season.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think Baywatch suffers from the same problem that the Bletchley Circle suffers (and I like the Bletchley circle.) When you make your show about say, lifeguards, or women who know how to crack codes, there's only so many ways they can become involved in crime investigations before it becomes extremely contrived and lame. Not that "Armoured car" was a crime investigation, unless you count criminal negligence. It's just too easy for the show's premise to become forced - although I think that sort of thing was far more acceptable in the 80s.

Rescue 911 started the year before, the Jaws formula, piracy hijinks, WWII Japanese ordinance, Miami Vice's speedboat episodes, natural disasters, Spanish gold, and a decent percent of Hawaii 5-0, all just sitting there waiting to be ripped off and plagiarized. Which is leaving aside the seeming lack of realization that hot ladies in bathing suits is enough, as proved by the subsequent seasons of Baywatch. Something Something, the beach, something something, lifeguards is really even less limiting a premise than cop shows. And lord knows there's never been a dearth of cop shows on TV.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I recall a few of the anime inspirited CGI Transformers shows from when I was getting ready for school as a kid. They were really quite strange, the CG was absolutely AWFUL, the voice acting was bland and the whole thing was weirdly shoddy. They were really only notable in that they were shockingly dull.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gyges posted:

Rescue 911 started the year before, the Jaws formula, piracy hijinks, WWII Japanese ordinance, Miami Vice's speedboat episodes, natural disasters, Spanish gold, and a decent percent of Hawaii 5-0, all just sitting there waiting to be ripped off and plagiarized. Which is leaving aside the seeming lack of realization that hot ladies in bathing suits is enough, as proved by the subsequent seasons of Baywatch. Something Something, the beach, something something, lifeguards is really even less limiting a premise than cop shows. And lord knows there's never been a dearth of cop shows on TV.

I thought Rescue 911 was one of those shows that did dramatic reenactments of real 911 calls and cases?

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

They had a decent amount of drowning/boating accident/ocean-related emergencies for Baywatch to take inspiration from. I also remember an episode where a kid gets his leg run over by a lawnmower, a fate I oh so wish on Eddie.

I reviewed the fifth episode of Reboot, The TIFF. Not a lot here to get enthusiastic about here, really.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BigRed0427 posted:

I thought Rescue 911 was one of those shows that did dramatic reenactments of real 911 calls and cases?

Yep. Every instance of a paramedic doing something, or any sort of first aid being done is just a short find and replace away from being about a lifeguard doing something or a lifeguard doing some sort of first aid. It takes more effort to think up a way to get someone trapped underwater in an armored car than it does to think of any other story about lifeguards. Hell, if you gotta trap people under water there's caves, boats, drain pipes, rip currents, and deadly collapsing piers, all later used by Baywatch, and are less of a trek than photo op in an armored car gone wrong.

I'm all for hating your job, but don't go out of your way to make your job a chore.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

I wound up discovering Fancy through the backdoor, so to speak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPGzGUNZbs

For some reason I thought that by backdoor you meant certain body part of Iggy Azalea...

I liked the review, the song is awful and the only memorable thing is the video (I liked Clueless back then; I guess I have to watch it again). I had no idea Charli XCX was a woman, though, I thought he was yet another European DJ guy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I watched Brad's vlog about Transformers 4 and he was almost nice about it. He was near apologizing that he wasn't pissed off.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

On this episode of Errant Signal, he pokes at EntWined, a dual analogue stick game about relationships that kind of fucks up at that particular abstract ordeal in many ways.

And follows it up with GunSlinger.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

I watched Brad's vlog about Transformers 4 and he was almost nice about it. He was near apologizing that he wasn't pissed off.

Yeah, it seems to fall squarely in his "so bad it's good" tastes because it seems to be avoiding a lot of Bay's shoehorned in drama and "comedy."

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

A film about a hulking Russian policeman traveling to America in order to catch the Russian criminal that killed his partner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jJcoMmMzE4

The review is in Russian, but I kinda get the feeling you'll figure it out.

(Seriously though, let me know how easy / difficult it was for you to follow the movie plot / general gist of what the reviewer is saying, because I have some theories to prove/disprove)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, it seems to fall squarely in his "so bad it's good" tastes because it seems to be avoiding a lot of Bay's shoehorned in drama and "comedy."

I don't even think the case is that it's so bad it's good. It sounds like a watchable summer blockbuster that isn't overly insulting and with action you can actually comprehend. That loving runtime though...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

I don't even think the case is that it's so bad it's good. It sounds like a watchable summer blockbuster that isn't overly insulting and with action you can actually comprehend. That loving runtime though...

It sounds like the exact same movie you already saw three times, only with less lowest common denominator humor. And since that was only the cherry on top the poo poo pile, no, that still wouldn't make it watchable.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 30, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Lupa, have you seen the gently caress Yeah Baywatch Tumblr blog? I spent a while on it and it has some really funny stuff like pointing out the Pepsi product placement during a fight scene.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tracula posted:

The runtime is what keeps me from going to see it in a theater.

Tracula posted:

I still liked the part at the end with them making GBS threads on Spoony's movie vlog style and his eventual review of Transformers 4.

DoctorWhat posted:

I need to catch Animated, I love Prime. Also, Prime Soundwave is the best.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Zeether posted:

Lupa, have you seen the gently caress Yeah Baywatch Tumblr blog? I spent a while on it and it has some really funny stuff like pointing out the Pepsi product placement during a fight scene.

I follow that blog, it's great. And the product placement, particularly for soda, is one of the great things about later Baywatch. They keep switching sponsors, so sometimes they cover up the vending machine of the old one with decorations. A&W is my personal favorite of the sponsors; at one point Hobie wins a year's supply of it in an "A&W Body Board Context."

There is a tragic episode where Mitch is paralyzed from the waist down during a rescue gone wrong. Hobie visits him in the hospital and tries to get him to kick a can of Pepsi, which leads to an emotional blow up.

He gets better just in time for the next episode though, where he must kick box!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Brad's by a mile is the nicest about TF4, because it's described as still the bad poo poo. The difference is that it is as long as a Lord of the Rings movie.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Miss Wallace posted:

There is a tragic episode where Mitch is paralyzed from the waist down during a rescue gone wrong. Hobie visits him in the hospital and tries to get him to kick a can of Pepsi, which leads to an emotional blow up.

Oh man, if that scene is half as good as I hope it is, it'll make for one amazing episode of Baywatching. :allears:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Hay, remember that post a few pages back where someone pointed out that Linkara doesn't like doing the 'hard' books, like One More Day 'n stuff because it brings out the worst fans?

He's just done a 3-parter of Holy Terror for his 300th episode

:ohdear:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey Lupa, while you're here, have you ever thought of tackling more Full Moon Features movies since Subspecies? You seem like just the right person to talk about them.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Hey Lupa, while you're here, have you ever thought of tackling more Full Moon Features movies since Subspecies? You seem like just the right person to talk about them.

I thought about doing the Puppet Master series eventually, but as one video. They're actually more often than not incredibly boring, but it's fascinating. 4-5 are actually pretty good. Retro Puppet Master has Greg Sestero and he's actually good in it.

I'm also going to do Prehysteria eventually, which is a Moonbeam feature.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Miss Wallace posted:

I thought about doing the Puppet Master series eventually, but as one video. They're actually more often than not incredibly boring, but it's fascinating. 4-5 are actually pretty good. Retro Puppet Master has Greg Sestero and he's actually good in it.

Good to know. I'm looking forward to it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Miss Wallace posted:

Include a thing about the company and their fans and the bizarre obsession with puppets please. Like, I'm reading some reviews of "Puppet Master X", and they all take it for granted that the companies main attraction lies in their puppet-mastery and that hordes of enthusiastic fans are really into puppets, and I'm just :what:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Miss Wallace posted:

Oh my god, I loved Prehysteria when I was a little kid. Don't suppose you could tackle Remote, too? It's also a Moonbeam feature--but this time it's a Home Alone ripoff...But with expensive remote control toys! :haw: Also, one really creepy yodeling one.

In case you're wondering (and I'm sure you are) that's another one I watched a lot as a tot.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Miss Wallace posted:

He gets better just in time for the next episode though, where he must kick box!

This is the greatest and I hope that every station everywhere only ever plays those two episodes in that order. Also if Hobie had just brought some delicious and medicinal Coca-Cola Mitch wouldn't have had to suffer.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KayTee posted:

Hay, remember that post a few pages back where someone pointed out that Linkara doesn't like doing the 'hard' books, like One More Day 'n stuff because it brings out the worst fans?

Hell Yeah. That was great! I only heard how bad Holy Terror was but I never had the guts to see for myself. Like I said, Linkara is at his best when he has something like this to review.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 30, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

KayTee posted:

I really want to find the people who have been letting Frank Miller do whatever he wants due to writing some only-okay-in-retrospect comics in the eighties and make them empty threat themselves until they have to empty threat sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I really want to find the people who have been letting Frank Miller do whatever he wants due to writing some only-okay-in-retrospect comics in the eighties and make them empty threat themselves until they have to empty threat sideways.

Isn't Frank one of those guys kinda like George Lucas or John Romero where you need half a dozen people around him with rolled-up newspapers to whack him on the nose any time he says something stupid and to keep their egos in check?

Edit: drat is it noticeable how much better Linkara's audio and video have gotten compared to those flashbacks. I know that's pretty much standard for any prominent internet critic but it's super obvious with his current setup vs the green couch thing he used to have.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 30, 2014

• Locked thread