Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Either read the books or read Wikipedia instead of asking stupid questions

Answer:

The series places special emphasis on the biology of vampires as parasitic creatures, and the life cycle and physical adaptations of a human-turned-vampire are covered in detail. The vector for vampirism is a capillary worm, which, once introduced into the human host's bloodstream (either through a vampire's feeding or direct invasion by the worm through a wound or orifice), introduces an incurable and fast-acting virus. By manipulating the host's genes, the virus causes a human to undergo numerous radical physical changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, Del Toro just really liked his Blade 2 vampire vampires and wanted to make a deal about them.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Eight minutes into Girl Meets World and I've already laughed out loud three times.

On one hand I'm totally for "Hey, your sense of humor is your own and that's beautiful! Do you, big guy!" On the other, my new nightmare is turning on Dog With a Blog one day and thinking "It's so cute and funny!"

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Disney Channel."

EDIT: Actually, GMW is way more legit than I expected it to be. I think the show plays way too broad for my tastes (and really, that's not fair for a multi-cam comedy aimed at 12-year-olds), but as it stands I'd love for my niece and nephew to get into this, and I wouldn't hate watching it with them either. Color me shocked; I really thought this was going to suck.

I mean, maybe it does to some people, but at least I can see some effort here.

Was out of town for a wedding and didn't get to watch the pilot until last night but I agree with this.

I wasn't really sure what to expect because I'm a massive fan of the original, but I saw enough good here to keep watching. My initial impression was that the pilot was very clearly Disney-fied in order to receive a full pick-up, which I expected going in.

I think if Disney gives them the space, they can turn this into something that captures the spirit of BMW for a new generation. Not sure how much I'd keep up with this once the summer ends, but for right now, it's perfectly fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay wait. Was Boy Meets World really a big deal? It always felt like just another part of TGIF to me.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

hope and vaseline posted:

Aughhhh I can't stand it when eyes get touched, pierced, or anything. It makes me squirm worse than any other kind of body horror.

FYI if you happen to start watching Utopia, as a lot of people have been recommending it, there's a scene you're going to want to skip entirely. But you'll know when it's coming.

Aphrodite posted:

Okay wait. Was Boy Meets World really a big deal? It always felt like just another part of TGIF to me.

And a lot of millennials, myself included, grew up watching TGIF. It wasn't a great or even particularly good show IMO but I get the nostalgia people have for it.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 30, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

Not really, just some people have fond memories of the show from their childhood.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Nthing the Utopia recommendation. It looks beautiful, the sound design and music is great, the characters are interesting, and the Sinister Global Plot actually makes sense.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

GreenNight posted:

What if I can't read? :kiddo:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Answer:

The series places special emphasis on the biology of vampires as parasitic creatures, and the life cycle and physical adaptations of a human-turned-vampire are covered in detail. The vector for vampirism is a capillary worm, which, once introduced into the human host's bloodstream (either through a vampire's feeding or direct invasion by the worm through a wound or orifice), introduces an incurable and fast-acting virus. By manipulating the host's genes, the virus causes a human to undergo numerous radical physical changes.

Your gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GreenNight posted:

Under the Dome returns tonight which I'm sure you're all very excited about.
Heh, last season's finale was where I got off, never to return. I'm interested to see the ratings for this season, though, even though I won't be watching it. Didn't Stephen King write tonight's season premiere or something?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Aphrodite posted:

While it did fit the "Family Matters" "Step-By-Step" mould- what really separated it from the pack was that it always felt grounded and at the same time it never stunted the characters and it had them literally grow up. It was Saved By the Bell without 'trying' to be hip and a lot less saccharine storytelling. While everyone wanted to be Zack- everyone was Cory. I think it was the "average-ness" that was so appealing to people.

Not only did the characters grow- but the show grew too with it's audience. Something you seldom see nowadays. The intended audience/age group for season 1 was completely different by the time it reached it's final season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never to my knowledge watched even one second of this "Boy Meets World" thing and I have no idea what y'all are on about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

I have never to my knowledge watched even one second of this "Boy Meets World" thing and I have no idea what y'all are on about.

It was a show that dealt with growing up (a middle class white kid) without being saccharine or pandering that happened to air around the time a lot of this forum was the target age group for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Topanga was hot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His teacher was the car from Knight Rider.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Topanga was hot

I never liked Topanga growing up. She reminded me of all the chunky girls I was going to school with.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So Yahoo just ordered the sought-after 6th season of Community

yeah

radlum
May 13, 2013
Wow...Yahoo of all things saved Community. I just hope Harmon makes a great short season and lets the show end with some closure. It is the only thing I want from a sixth season

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Welp, Yahoo just ordered a sixth season of Community. Let's see who slaps who first.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Community is the real uber-vampire.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Now MrAristocrates is truly the OP mastermind of all the worst threads.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo, let it die already!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
One more insufferable year of insufferable Community fans, followed by another because they will petition for a movie.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ari are you gonna do the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads too? You should consider it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zaggitz posted:

Ari are you gonna do the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads too? You should consider it.

I don't watch those shows, but sure.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress this gay earth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My first thought was :wtc: , but this actually makes a lot of sense for Yahoo. I'm one of the I'm sure tons of people who had no idea they were getting into original programming. Now I know that they are, and since I'm gonna watch the new season of Community, they'll be able to show me ads for their new shows. Plus it's a push for me to figure out how the hell to watch their shows in the first place. Do they have an AppleTV app?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Topanga was hot

Also this.

Also, where did Yahoo get enough money to sate Dan Harmon's enormous ego? And how will they funnel it up his own rear end to get it to him?

Actually just how does Yahoo have money at all?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Actually just how does Yahoo have money at all?

Yahoo owns Flicker and Tumbler.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sober posted:

One more insufferable year of insufferable Community fans, followed by another because they will petition for a movie.

You should start drinking again.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

IRQ posted:

Also, where did Yahoo get enough money to sate Dan Harmon's enormous ego? And how will they funnel it up his own rear end to get it to him?

If there's one problem Yahoo doesn't have, it's cash. They're not Google but they still have tons lying around from their heyday.

As for an ego, at this point (his show keeps getting resurrected, he gets brought back after being fired unlike anyone else in TV history) can you blame him? He probably thinks he has some sort of divine providence and it's hard to disagree with him.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

As for an ego, at this point (his show keeps getting resurrected, he gets brought back after being fired unlike anyone else in TV history) can you blame him? He probably thinks he has some sort of divine providence and it's hard to disagree with him.

I love that the dude is already planning ahead for making a Community movie instead of just thanking his lucky stars and using the 6th season to wrap everything up. Never learn or change, Dan.

Dan Harmon posted:

I mean, if they do a sixth season, I have to participate. And having done that, if the movie has to be made out of clay and duct tape in my basement, then that’s how the movie will be made, because there has to be closure. The title of the book about the show is not '"Community," An Interesting Journey into a Show No One Ever Watched.' The title of the book is obviously going to be, 'Six Seasons and a Movie.' So it’s already over. Sometimes our hands are just tied up in fate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love that the dude is already planning ahead for making a Community movie instead of just thanking his lucky stars and using the 6th season to wrap everything up. Never learn or change, Dan.

That's from months ago.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Irish Joe posted:

Yahoo owns Flicker and Tumbler.

Well that answers that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That's impossible, he makes that one cartoon I don't like.

CaptainHollywood posted:

While it did fit the "Family Matters" "Step-By-Step" mould- what really separated it from the pack was that it always felt grounded and at the same time it never stunted the characters and it had them literally grow up. It was Saved By the Bell without 'trying' to be hip and a lot less saccharine storytelling. While everyone wanted to be Zack- everyone was Cory. I think it was the "average-ness" that was so appealing to people.

You can try and sell me the idea that your average joe ends up with a Topanga, but I ain't buyin' it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MrAristocrates posted:

That's from months ago.

Even if it wasn't, you know that a movie could get crowd-funded if all else failed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

raditts posted:

That's impossible, he makes that one cartoon I don't like.

You can try and sell me the idea that your average joe ends up with a Topanga, but I ain't buyin' it.

Topanga is a fantasy character. Cory cheats on her while on a ski trip and of course she forgives him. She gets into Yale but decides to go to a state school to stay close to Cory.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Topanga is a fantasy character. Cory cheats on her while on a ski trip and of course she forgives him. She gets into Yale but decides to go to a state school to stay close to Cory.

Wow, that's... that's a really hosed up message for teenagers. Specially for girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Vincent posted:

Wow, that's... that's a really hosed up message for teenagers. Specially for girls.

I'm going strictly by Wikipedia here, but the context makes a difference. Yale's one thing, but Topanga absolutely dumped Cory's rear end after she learned that he kissed another girl. When she took him back, it was because she had her own encounter with an old friend of hers, and she realized that a.) the kiss didn't mean poo poo because b.) she's still in love with Cory.

Even in the case of Yale -- which is a little hosed up -- Topanga took "I choose to stay with my man" one step further and proposed to Cory on the day of their high school graduation. If nothing else, it feels less "he's dependent on her and drags her down because she's afraid to hurt him" and more "they're dependent on each other." But remember, Wikipedia.

• Locked thread