Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

thexerox123 posted:

Apparently it's not their first show... it seems they already produced a show called Burning Love, which got an Emmy nom last year (and which seems to have had pretty solid casts!). It looks like it aired on E! as well, though.

This show was made by Ken Marino and it was hilarious; the cast is the Rob Thomas/Children's Hospital clique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Argue posted:

This show was made by Ken Marino and it was hilarious; the cast is the Rob Thomas/Children's Hospital clique.

How many of his former The State costars are on it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I don't know most of the people from The State but I count at least three; Michael Ian Black in particular is in every ep.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

big mean giraffe posted:

How many of his former The State costars are on it?

Off the top of my head, Tom Lennon and Joe Lo Truglio are in it, but I think that's it.

Aside from Michael Ian Black, obviously

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Do not sit on the fence about watching Burning Love. It's awesome.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, well if Troy isn't coming back, then clearly the movie needs to be about the rescue of Levar Burton and his non-celebrity companion.

How can Levar Burton be lost at sea AND be the face of a ridiculously successful Reading Rainbow Kickstarter!? This doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The pirates loved Reading Rainbow and were all too eager to help when they heard his idea. This is also how Troy spent all of Pierce's money.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr. Boogie posted:

Still holding out hope that Glover could return if only for the season finale. Have the penultimate episode end with him coming back from the trip, which would make sense given the timeline of the show, and then end the season with a kickass ending which finally knows that it's the ending, with some slight hint at a movie. After we came SO close to a completely unsatisfying ending, I'm gonna be so pissed if Season 6 leaves major stuff up in the air by the end, hoping to resolve it in the movie which might never happen.

All the community regulars get kidnapped, and Troy walks into Greendale, you only see his boots, then the camera pans up and he says "Hey, where is everybody?" to be continued. Next episode, Zordon restores Troy's green ranger powers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

greatn posted:

All the community regulars get kidnapped, and Troy walks into Greendale, you only see his boots, then the camera pans up and he says "Hey, where is everybody?" to be continued. Next episode, Zordon restores Troy's green ranger powers.

Please tell me he doesn't have to play a gay flute to summon his Zord.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

That's homophobic

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

greatn posted:

That's homophobic

That's racist

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Seems like yahoo has renewed Community for another season. Those poor actors. I was really hoping to see them in other things.

Also: Burning Love is hilarious, especially since every episode is like 10 minutes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

It's a flute that's also a goddamn dagger what the hell isn't amazing about that?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

greatn posted:

That's homophobic

Chwoka posted:

That's racist

That's flautist.

e: You're right, though, I wish I hadn't said it that way. Sorry, greatn.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 1, 2014

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
This is awesome news, and also yeah, everyone should watch Burning Love, especially anyone who watches/is forced to watch The Bachelor(ette). Huge cast of tons of funny people, like the aforementioned State alum, lots of people from Veronica Mars and Party Down, plus Kumail "Chris de Burgh" Nanjiani.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

And that Ken Jeong guy, what's he from again?

fake e: yeah Party Down I know, gently caress you don't ruin my joke

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Crindee posted:

plus Kumail "Chris de Burgh" Nanjiani.

What I would give to hear him sing all of "The Lady in Red."

(that was my cousin's first dance at his wedding. It is a terrible song)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

greatn posted:

That would be a great season finale if they knew a movie was happening. The Dean would be Zordon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tinstaach posted:

fake e: yeah Party Down I know, gently caress you don't ruin my joke

UNC Chapel Hill med school.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

pentyne posted:

UNC Chapel Hill med school.

But sadly Duke for his undergrad, which means he has hosed up college basketball allegiances.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

rapeface posted:

Seems like yahoo has renewed Community for another season. Those poor actors. I was really hoping to see them in other things.

Hey dude, we're past that now. We're all being happy.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tinstaach posted:

That one episode of the shield.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Majorian posted:

What I would give to hear him sing all of "The Lady in Red."

(that was my cousin's first dance at his wedding. It is a terrible song)

The first song at their wedding was a song about infidelity?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well, that's great news to start the day with!

Chand0X
Sep 15, 2003
More about the deal....from Sony.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/community-revival-sony-exec-talks-715907

quote:

How did this deal come together?
The easiest way to say it is we never give up. We try so hard and have a pretty decent record now of saving and/or rescuing some of our favorite shows, whether it's Damages or Unforgettable. Certainly, Community is right in there in a passion project and it's got a storied past. Dan Harmon was gone; we invited Dan back; Dan came back; [NBC Entertainment chairman] Bob [Greenblatt] picking up the show every year — it was a weird pickup we had last year, where he was sort of apologizing to himself and to the audience for picking it up again [laughs] and was bowing under social pressure to do so. When the news came down that we weren't going to be back on NBC for another year, it wasn't surprising news but it was disappointing for sure. Usually at other studios, that means the end of the road. Once the network says, "We've spoken," unless you're Sony and you just think that's an initial reaction, everywhere else it's sort of final. We had a series of conversations with NBC and finally Bob, as nicely as he could, said, "Stop f—ing calling me about Community!" [Laughs.] We pushed that one too much and we started to reach out to some of our other partners and networks. I saw it speculated in the press that there was decent interest from Hulu. That was true. We had a pretty advanced conversation. They have been an amazing partner; the show has done great things for them and their support has been beyond appreciated. It made sense that between Hulu and Comedy Central — who both currently carry the show — that maybe that was going to be our savior. We were in pretty advanced conversations with Hulu and we had made a half-dozen or so phone calls to other places. Then out of the blue — and this never happens — I got the best phone call in the world from Yahoo selling us on why Yahoo would be great destination [for Community]. To be honest, we were so far down the path with Hulu that, hopefully not arrogant but [we were], maybe a little bit dismissive of their overture, which made them that much more committed to explaining to us and to Joel McHale and Dan Harmon why this was going to be a cornerstone of the new Yahoo that they're about to unveil to the world. They really want to be close to their users and viewers and wanted it to be a safe destination for creators. It was an excellent and articulate speech.

What are the prospects for Community beyond season six? Is this a final season? Could it hit seven seasons?
I don't know, let's see how our movie does! Isn't that our plan? There's no way we're not making the movie now! I think once we make the movie, let's look up and decide how much more Community the world wants. We promised six seasons and a movie, how much more do you want?! [Laughs.] … I'd be lying if I told you that we have not had some very early and preliminary conversations that are very exciting about what a potential movie could be and who might direct it. It's early but it's completely in our thought process.

How does the per-episode budget for Yahoo compare with NBC?
We will not cut any money from what we were doing on the broadcast version of the show. No low-cost digital whatever; Yahoo was spectacular with that and told us how much they stand for quality. You haven't seen a whole slew of announcements out of them but when they make announcements, they want them to be loud and to stand for something. They really were beyond supportive with understanding the production demands of a sixth-year show. They are fully supporting it in their deal and beyond; it's pretty historic.

More at the link above.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

So is the world still destroyed or are we switching timelines or what?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

El Murguista posted:

So is the world still destroyed or are we switching timelines or what?

I'm guessing we get a joke about the asteroid JUST missing Earth.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pigbog posted:

The first song at their wedding was a song about infidelity?

Oh you're making GBS threads me. I had no idea that's what it was about, but that's priceless.

rapeface posted:

Some TV actors can manage being on multiple shows at once.:ssh:

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm guessing we get a joke about the asteroid JUST missing Earth.

Mega-Dean will destroy it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 1, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well this renewal was some news I never expected at this stage. :stare:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I am fully in love with the trend of technology firms reinventing themselves by pouring money into TV shows.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Occupation should make a Toxx that he'll watch LMS for ten seasons if Glover comes back, and then Glover will come back.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Meteor destroyed by City College's mecha-spider, crisis averted.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

That's flautist.

e: You're right, though, I wish I hadn't said it that way. Sorry, greatn.

I was just doing the bit from S1, but fell asleep before I could reply "That's Black"

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So are the people convinced the actors hate this show the ones who hate the show themselves now, or..?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
It's pretty amazing how much the entertainment landscape has changed. 10 years ago this kind of renewal would be absolutely unheard of. I can't tell if Community is changing the game or if they just happen to be in the right place at the right time, but I hope that this trend continues.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

drat, they get the same budget? That's unexpected. Good job, Yahoo.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I honestly don't know what to make of the news. I'm glad the show is going to get another chance at an ending, but man it really dropped in quality halfway through last season. Sucks that Donald Glover ain't coming back, I know that much.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

I'm surprised Netflix didn't push for it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder what deal Yahoo cut that made them drop advanced talks with Hulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I wonder what deal Yahoo cut that made them drop advanced talks with Hulu.

I think at this point, execs who are demonstrably fighting for the show and in favour of giving them full creative control must be a big selling point for both Harmon and Sony.

• Locked thread