Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Notsosubtle posted:

Is it confirmed that he was cheating on his wife? I just ran back through that flashback and it's really hard to tell if its his wife or another women. Also of note, his tattoos are present in the flashback, so it's not some post-Departure flagellation or anything - so, yea, probably Phuket.

My impression was that the flashback occurring when the sad lady at the bar asked him where he was and it cut to him loving a woman meant she vanished, and his wife being in the cult thing meant it probably wasn't just to show us that he was cool and having sex during the rapture event.

I enjoyed the pilot but I couldn't tell if a lot of the dialogue and weird directing was going for a "Twin Peaks" feel or if it was unintentionally silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
The Prius twins are great. Everything else is mediocre.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This show has convinced me to stop doing the "fake throwing the ball trick" to dogs just in case it causes them to snap and go feral.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I thought it was fantastic and I really don't get the "it's boring" complaints during the live posting. We have some pretty strong characters and really the only part of the episode I got a little annoyed with was the stuff with the kids partying, but even that makes sense given how broken society is after the event.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought it was fantastic and I really don't get the "it's boring" complaints during the live posting. We have some pretty strong characters and really the only part of the episode I got a little annoyed with was the stuff with the kids partying, but even that makes sense given how broken society is after the event.

Yeah, you have kids who literally witnessed people disappear out of thin air. I imagine they'd turn out to be fairly hosed up.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

I saw an ad for the show that actually did a better job explaining the kids partying thing then the show did. Or maybe it will be explained better in the future.

They summed it up as basically no one knows why anyone was taken, or if anyone will be taken in the future, so teenagers now just don't give a gently caress because who knows if or when another rapture event will occur.

Edit: I was curious if we'll see anyone that physically was looking at someone as they disappeared, and if we'll get an account of it. Like, did they just pop out of existence?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Max posted:

I saw an ad for the show that actually did a better job explaining the kids partying thing then the show did. Or maybe it will be explained better in the future.

They summed it up as basically no one knows why anyone was taken, or if anyone will be taken in the future, so teenagers now just don't give a gently caress because who knows if or when another rapture event will occur.

I think the off putting part of it is their willingness to do actually highly unpleasant things like burning their skin. I'd like to think if I could go back to being a teen again, and this happened for real, I still wouldn't want to play a game where I get choked or burned. It just came off like the show trying to be really extreme. I think they could have backed it off a bit and just had drug use and sex and that would have been enough.

But yeah the "don't give a gently caress" angle makes sense so it really only took me out of it for a couple minutes.

EDIT: Also happy to see Justin Theroux in a really good role. It's kind of dumb but I've always felt bad for him since he played the cuckolded dude in Six Feet Under.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 30, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I don't care if the rapture event is never explained, I just hope the show doesn't go overboard with making everything & everyone on it all mysterious like Lost did.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rarity posted:

I'm really happy to see Paterson Joseph

Holy hell, I didn't even recognize him as Wayne. It was bugging me where I knew him from, too. It's good he's getting work after his greatest role.

ApexAftermath posted:

My opinion on it softened considerably after rewatching it. The metaphors were lost on me during the initial viewing since I was just half-watching it. Theroux was compelling in every scene he was in and you could feel that he's a dude just barely holding it together.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 1, 2014

bryn987
May 31, 2014
watching the kids party kinda disturbed me. Then I realized how old I was

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

savinhill posted:

I don't care if the rapture event is never explained
Flash Forward almost got explained, then it got cancelled.

This just feels like a depressing show so far. At least with Rectify, it isn't always depressing.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

AgentHaiTo posted:

That's interesting, I thought the reveal with the cop cheating was just that, but I didn't catch that the women he was loving got taken. That kind of puts him with the feral dogs who all lost it because their owners disappeared in front of them. And his dad who also went crazy. Also, what's with the full tattooed back on the cop? That's some pretty extensive tattooing for a police officer.

I imagine it's more about the the show-runners not wanting to have to cover Theroux's back tattoo every time a scene calls for him to appear shirtless than anything else.

(also please keep appearing shirtless Mr. Theroux)

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The Prius twins are great. Everything else is mediocre.

check out teen wolf if you want some more of prius twins being twinly

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It scratches an itch I've been looking for, just enough mystery to keep watching. I enjoyed it a lot and hope it keeps being good.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
The one thing the reaction to this show has taught me is that a lot of lost fans are crazy people.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

catpowerd posted:

The one thing the reaction to this show has taught me is that a lot of lost fans are crazy people.
The True Detective thread is dead, long live The Leftovers thread!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
My favourite thing about the pilot were the Teen Wolf twins.

The rest was just... odd and depressing.
I don't understand that cult, but they're annoying. The teen party was just OTT.

I get they're going for a 'cusp of society's downfall' where it'll take just a few events to tip the world into crazy, but it was just dull.

I'll give it another episode and hope we get more of the Teen Wolf twins who hopefully are shirtless in every scene.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only had time to watch about 45 minutes if the pilot before I had to go to work but I'm already pretty wary of the show and all of the "mysterious" stuff that is going on. I'd probably be more intrigued by it if I didn't know that the dude from Lost was involved. I don't really feel like being strung along for 2 season all over again before I realize what I'm watching is lazy bullshit that will never be satisfying in the end.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I get that there's people who didn't dig on Lost for whatever reasons people have, and everyone wants to blame Lindelof for all of it, but this premiere doesn't strike me anything like what Lost was at all, I'm not sure all the people acting extra gun shy just because "that Lost guy" is involved is really warranted. People are throwing around the word "mystery" as if it means this show's story telling is going to be the same dangle the carrot style as Lost but I just don't see it, especially since this show is based on a book that Lindelof had nothing to do with, so the story is (relatively) already structured a certain way. Seems from the first episode that the extent of the mystery in Leftovers is simply the framework for the story of these characters and this town while life goes on in otherwise non-mysterious ways, just depressing/messed up ways.

Maybe subsequent episodes will change that though, I guess we'll see!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I mostly enjoyed it, although it's not as good as I was expecting. Like a previous poster, I couldn't help but compare it to The Returned, and it's just not in that show's league (yet).

For some reason, with The Returned, I'm happy watching these normal small-town people deal with a reality-altering supernatural event and don't care about the answers to the mysteries, even though they probably exist and will eventually be given.

The Leftovers, despite having the same premise, is making me want answers, even though I know there probably aren't any. Is this because I don't yet care much for the characters, or is it in the way the mystery is being framed?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I think this show is actually a sequel to Lost. LEFTOVERS is an anagram for LOST FEVER. Makes you think...

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tomahawk posted:

I think this show is actually a sequel to Lost. LEFTOVERS is an anagram for LOST FEVER. Makes you think...

I like to think of this show as something taking place in a universe like Lost, Fringe, Flashforward, etc. Except instead of focusing on the intrepid heroes as they travel around the world trying to solve this giant mystery, we're seeing what all the normal people in that world see and deal with, where they can't do anything other than put their hands up in the sky and yell "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!"

I watched the first episode again, and knowing that the cop's wife is the woman in the GR really makes a lot of things more clear.

There were also a lot of nice little touches in the set design that remind me of the way Children of Men dealt with background information. The entire GR household has removed all their mirrors, and has a bunch of empty picture frames set up all over the house. That deer shows up early when the cop tells the woman about her dead dog as a statue in her lawn, so maybe he is going nuts. It was a nice visual flourish.

NESguerilla posted:

I only had time to watch about 45 minutes if the pilot before I had to go to work but I'm already pretty wary of the show and all of the "mysterious" stuff that is going on. I'd probably be more intrigued by it if I didn't know that the dude from Lost was involved. I don't really feel like being strung along for 2 season all over again before I realize what I'm watching is lazy bullshit that will never be satisfying in the end.

I think the big difference between this show and Lost is that Lost implied that an answer would come, eventually. This show seems to be very upfront about letting you know that the big "mystery" is never going to be answered, and that this is a lot more about the characters' day to day life. I know there are those two cults that seem like they know something, but in the end I think they're just cults who have a message they want to spread, nothing more.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 1, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I found all the scenes with the cult really irritating to watch and I'm guessing they are a central part of the show. gently caress.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

I found all the scenes with the cult really irritating to watch and I'm guessing they are a central part of the show. gently caress.

When you have a cult who's entire deal is to smoke and take vows of silence it's going to be insanely hard to do anything with the cult members besides having them get talked at.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

pentyne posted:

When you have a cult who's entire deal is to smoke and take vows of silence it's going to be insanely hard to do anything with the cult members besides having them get talked at.

drat, I bet the writers didn't even think about that. They're probably going nuts at the moment figuring out how they'll handle the cult now.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tomahawk posted:

drat, I bet the writers didn't even think about that. They're probably going nuts at the moment figuring out how they'll handle the cult now.

Have them all learn sign language and then use subtitles? If that cult keeps growing the price of dry erase markers is going to skyrocket.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Lost started off good and then turned to poo poo when the island started time traveling or whatever the gently caress it did

The Leftovers have started off good as well. Now if they start adding in aliens and showing a mysterious "heaven" .....

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bryn987 posted:

Lost started off good and then turned to poo poo when the island started time traveling or whatever the gently caress it did

The Leftovers have started off good as well. Now if they start adding in aliens and showing a mysterious "heaven" .....

They should drop as much stuff related to the Rapture as possible. The tribute showing Shaq, the Pope, and Gary Busey as people who vanished was really unnecessary for the bleak and dismal tone they were going for.

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

I have high hopes for this show. The first ep was okay with a cool damon ending and I hope it keeps up.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
I didn't love the pilot as much in comparison to how hype I was for the show based on teasers, though I'm happy with it. I am down with never finding out what happened exactly, and I find the at now unexplained theology of the cults to be very engaging. The teen debauchery was a little ham, and the use of the James Blake song seemed out of place, but in retrospect both seem purposeful. Teens are going to misdirect their rage in silly ways during extreme circumstances, and a lack of transition with music between scenes only adds to how disjointed this episode felt.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I liked the pilot (holy loving lol at the statue), but the scale feels so loving off. 2% of the world's population vanished and this random bumfuck town in backwater usa lost how many people to it? this town has like 1k people max and it comes off as if a poo poo ton of people vanished.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I liked the pilot (holy loving lol at the statue), but the scale feels so loving off. 2% of the world's population vanished and this random bumfuck town in backwater usa lost how many people to it? this town has like 1k people max and it comes off as if a poo poo ton of people vanished.

You clearly don't know where bumfuck or backwater USA is. Or how statistics work if you don't think certain places could be disproportionately affected just like how that one lady lost 4 family members.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 2, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

You clearly don't know where bumfuck or backwater USA is.

the town from banshee comes off as being larger and it's a poo poo hole in pa surrounded by indians and quakers

Dirty Job posted:

Or how statistics work if you don't think certain places could be disproportionately affected just like how that one lady lost 4 family members.

ah yes, thank you, i keep forgetting how small-town america is disproportionately affected by sci fi

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 2, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Were there any bible references?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I saw this and yeah it's gonna be another Damon Lindelof film/tvshow where nothing is ever explained. I'm honestly not sure why that man continues to get work, when he literally does the same story over and over and over again. Film Critic Hulk is stupid, but his summation of Lindelof's single story is extremely accurate. The story starts off with "There is a mystery, I want to know." There are vague biblical and christian theology here in the middle of the story that are mostly about Damon's crisis of faith, and how when he prays God doesn't respond. The final answer to the mystery is at the end is conversely the answer that God is (presumably) giving him: "You can't know."

Knowing all this, I'm still gonna watch it, because I'm a glutton for punishment. That, and there is nothing else really on.

quote:

The tribute showing Shaq, the Pope, and Gary Busey as people who vanished was really unnecessary for the bleak and dismal tone they were going for.

This was actually my favorite part of the show, because I know if the Rapture happened Gary Busey would be going straight to heaven.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 2, 2014

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

pentyne posted:

some of the previews have scenes where members of them talk, also the series is based on a book i'm guessing this is going to be addressed eventually

the premiere only had 1.77 million views, I wonder if this will gain any more momentum or if it'll only last one season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Slackerish posted:

the premiere only had 1.77 million views, I wonder if this will gain any more momentum or if it'll only last one season.

HBO gives very few fucks about the number of live viewers any one show gets, and those fucks decrease as critical acclaim goes up.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Slackerish posted:

some of the previews have scenes where members of them talk, also the series is based on a book i'm guessing this is going to be addressed eventually

The game of thrones premiere had 2.2 million viewers. HBO is generally a bit smarter when it comes to knowing that shows need time to build up steam. Id say if it hasn't picked up a significant fan base by the end of season 2 they'd probably start thinking about cancellation.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is 1.77 really that bad for this show though? True Detective got 2.3 with two huge movie stars and Game of Thrones got 2.22 with a built in fandom and Sean Bean. 1.77 doesn't seem that bad for a 10pm summertime premiere with no stars (sorry Liv)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I saw this and yeah it's gonna be another Damon Lindelof film/tvshow where nothing is ever explained. I'm honestly not sure why that man continues to get work, when he literally does the same story over and over and over again. Film Critic Hulk is stupid, but his summation of Lindelof's single story is extremely accurate. The story starts off with "There is a mystery, I want to know." There are vague biblical and christian theology here in the middle of the story that are mostly about Damon's crisis of faith, and how when he prays God doesn't respond. The final answer to the mystery is at the end is conversely the answer that God is (presumably) giving him: "You can't know."

Again, I think this is a different beast all together, because the show never really promises the viewer that it will answer the questions. Everyone and everything involved with this shows seems very upfront with the fact that the cause of the non-rapture will never, ever be explained.

• Locked thread