Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Currently scribbling on post-it notes at work trying to figure out the minimal elements that I need for my game. Can't wait to get home and get started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Team Phlargenarffen is throwing its hat in the ring again this year! This time with 4 goons: myself, Reilyth, Gheric, and Literally Elvis, as well as a few additional artist non-goons. Our game, tentatively titled Kooking with Krugg, will be a Surgeon Simulator-style cooking game. Expect many nigh-unplayable demo builds and gifs of floppy steaks/floppy other things.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jon93 posted:

Polo-Rican posted:

drat!! Well here's the idea I wanted to try doing. It was supposed to look Street Fightery but instead it looks like Borderlands... D'oh!!

135x135:

450x395:

Please tell me you have the original psd with all the layers separated. I'd love to animate this Street Fighter style in our opening credits.
Quoting for the new page.

Diametunim posted:

I'm going to try one last time to officially :toxx: myself in hopes that Shalinor will finally let me join the party. :argh: 5PM tomorrow can't come fast enough, let's get this started!
Witnessed ;)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jon93 posted:

To any orphans out there:

Team Nobody is looking for a pixel artist!

Contant JonTerp in the #SAGameDev IRC or PM me here.

Please tell me you have the original psd with all the layers separated. I'd love to animate this Street Fighter style in our opening credits.

I never got back to you did I? I'm sorry. Someone art for Jon!

Satire
Nov 23, 2013

Holy Snackers!
I just noticed that my team and my :toxx: wasn't recorded in the OP.

JossiRossi posted:

My condolences on whatever it was that happened and take all the time you need.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Satire posted:

I just noticed that my team and my :toxx: wasn't recorded in the OP.
Bizzam. But post your team again. gently caress hunting through the thread.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Satire posted:

I've never made a game before in my life. Myself, and 3 non-goons are in as Team Main Chat, and we will have something done at the end of the month. :toxx:

I love the ? button.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Oh god it starts in less than an hour and my game design is still not finished! gently caress it, we'll do it live!

I have settled on an MRA call-in show where you have to argue with your callers using a deckbuilding conversation battle system. Your goal is to say stuff so ignorant and enraging that you force the caller to hang up. I could probably use a 2d artist for the main game background and some character profiles, title screen, maybe some battle visual effects, etc. Likely not much animating. Ideally stuff with a rough, amateurish appearance.

Same for music/sound, I am thinking of some really low-quality synthy Casio demo style beats to put over the game, and possibly some sound effects for various UI interactions, phone ringing, etc. PM if interested.

Additionally, I am going to put up a couple cash prizes:

I Can Make It On My Own - $25 to the best (as determined by judges) game made completely solo. This means you didn't get anyone else to make stuff for you during the competition. You can still have used other free assets or whatever from other places, but nobody doing anything for the competition specifically.

Lost in Translation - $25 to a completed game made by a team that clearly did not understand the theme (as chosen by me, but likely a game with a very low Theme Adherence score).

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 1, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Since the start date is almost here, I think I'll throw in a :toxx: myself. I will complete A Game and submit it before this competition is over.

Satire
Nov 23, 2013

Holy Snackers!

Shalinor posted:

Bizzam. But post your team again. gently caress hunting through the thread.

Satire posted:

I've never made a game before in my life. Myself, and 3 non-goons are in as Team Main Chat, and we will have something done at the end of the month. :toxx:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm registering as Team 300 POUNDS, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish anything since classes restart in the middle of the month. I'll at least try, anyway.

Idea is a one button game set during a show about scrapbooking. Tantric scrapbooking. That should be accomplishable, at least. :)

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 1, 2014

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
I'm learning very quickly I shouldn't have waited until the night before to try and teach myself the ins and out of GitHub.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
More prizes I thought up:

Kid's Gonna Be a Star - $25 to a game of my choice from a novice game dev that shows a lot of promise.

Judge Dread - $25 to a game of my choice that I feel deserved a better score than it got.

Diamond in the Rough - $25 to a game of my choice that I like despite poor audio-visual presentation.

Polished Turd - $25 to a game of my choice that I didn't like but looks GRRRRRRREEAT!

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many public access pissing simulators we're going to get this year?

Infomercial-based games on various pissing products? Oh dear.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

My experience includes 2 semesters of C++ 15 years ago and a couple Python tutorials in the 6 months. I want to try my hand at making something.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Joining at the last second as Team Procrastination. There's no actual team though, just me.
Hopefully this time I won't work on everything in the last few days... unlike the past 3 contests I was in here.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Ok, I'm sleep deprived and in the mood to make poor decisions so I'm in. Also may as well put my :10bux: and internet pride on the line so I'll bathe in the :toxx: too. I've already scheduled in when I throw my hands up and go with Twine.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
Well gently caress it. TeamTime is in as Just Me. will I even have anything to show at the end? maybe. will it be any good? maybe not.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

NextTime000 posted:

Well gently caress it. TeamTime is in as Just Me. will I even have anything to show at the end? maybe. will it be any good? maybe not.

If it isn't good then just say you were staying on theme.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is my first game, so I'm gunning for a couple of those prizes, sighnoceros. :)

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

timp posted:

I'm still an orphan, available to compose original music and, what the hell, probably even some sound effects and sound design stuff too. If everyone already has a music guy than that's one thing, but I better not see any completed games with unoriginal and/or no music :mad:

I could use a couple fairly simple tunes, considering I'm abandoning my planned concept for something entirely new.

I'm always on the IRC, or enosshenk @ comcast.net

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Is there someone who has some experience with RPG Maker? It looks fairly simple but I'm sure I'll need help with at some point, probably with setting up scripts.

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

timp posted:

I'm still an orphan, available to compose original music and, what the hell, probably even some sound effects and sound design stuff too. If everyone already has a music guy than that's one thing, but I better not see any completed games with unoriginal and/or no music :mad:

Suggest hanging out in the IRC-- there will almost certainly be some people in there over the course of this thing looking for sound stuff (Including myself presuming I dont fail out hardcore.)

Speaking of which, gently caress it, I'm commiting last-minute as a (presently) solo effort as Team Party On. Maybe I'll even somehow scrabble my way over the Wall of Shame. :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slifter posted:

Is there someone who has some experience with RPG Maker? It looks fairly simple but I'm sure I'll need help with at some point, probably with setting up scripts.

It very good but it's designed to allow you to make *insert-generic-jrpg-here* rip-offs.
It is a bit flexible and with some scripting it's possible to make all sorts of gameplay but unless you re-script a lot of systems and make your own graphics then it'll end up looking very generic no matter what.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
I still haven't got an idea of what to do... well I did have one idea but that seems to have fallen through

It looks like I'm probably going to be doing something on the lines of Richard Dawkins Teaches Memes again this year (in terms of hacking something together quickly.. and mood)

I've also got a bunch of other important stuff to do this month so it's probably a good idea for me to :toxx: myself

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Alright, time to get to work! Think I got an idea of what my game will be, just need to properly plan it out and work out the specifics. Tempted to use this opportunity to make something in unity for the first time.

If it's not too late, I will throw in some micro-prizes

A steam copy of Space Hulk for the best representation of Weird Al in UHF (in the spirit of Public TV and all)
A steam copy of Thomas was alone for a game that features the best use of the flying stone head from Zardoz

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Aright I'm gonna get started, and :toxx: myself to complete a game this time around, even (especially) if it's janky as hell.

Slifter posted:

I've used XP in the distant past, and am learning the nuances of VX Ace for this competition. I'm liking it so far, there's a bunch of small but noticeable improvements in the ability to customize stuff, especially in regards to the damage formulas for skills.

So while I might not be able to answer all your questions, I'm happy to help if they're specific.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 1, 2014

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Are we posting early builds in this thread, the game dev megathread, or the game programming megathread?

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008
Here comes a new challenger - DukeandDuke are back in after a year hiatus!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Jo posted:

Are we posting early builds in this thread, the game dev megathread, or the game programming megathread?

This question right here. Just starting work, curious about where and when to post updates and information about pending videogrames (paid for by viewers like you).

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I made a second version of the logo. It's not that different but a few colors are a bit brighter, a few shapes are improved, and the IX is a little bolder. I'm almost definitely done with this, so do with it what you will!

450x395:

135x135:

One person requested the layered photoshop file: here it is, if you want to try animating it or something.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4Vca_XgkmVwazZ5YnlZckNzSnM&usp=sharing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All right, day 1 progress, got the latest Unity downloaded and installed. Good job boys, see you tomorrow!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Does anyone have a link to the livestream that some goons did last year, where they played through most of the games live? As an Official Judge™ I'm probably going to do something similar this year.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Is futile still the best bet for simple 2d stuff in unity, or has unity's new 2d stuff made it obsolete? I don't need to do anything complex, I'm not even sure I'm going to have animated sprites. Basically just screen backdrops, menus and clickable elements. I know I can do it all easily in futile, but if unity 2d is where everything is moving I'd rather switch.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
Unity 2d is pretty nice, that's what I'm using this year and I used Futile last year. And if you want to easily put menus and stuff together get NGUI for gui elements. But I guess in a pinch you could use Unity's GUI stuff; I haven't used it but most people say it's not great.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

sighnoceros posted:

Unity 2d is pretty nice, that's what I'm using this year and I used Futile last year. And if you want to easily put menus and stuff together get NGUI for gui elements. But I guess in a pinch you could use Unity's GUI stuff; I haven't used it but most people say it's not great.

Unity's gui stuff is terrible, so I just use futile for gui. As long as unity's sprites have mouseover and click detection somehow though, I can do the same with that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SlightlyMadman posted:

Unity's gui stuff is terrible, so I just use futile for gui. As long as unity's sprites have mouseover and click detection somehow though, I can do the same with that.

In my limited testing, all objects have an "OnMouseDown" event. Granted, I didn't test with an actual sprite object.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sighnoceros posted:

But I guess in a pinch you could use Unity's GUI stuff; I haven't used it but most people say it's not great.

It's complete agony and feels like it was made by a guy who last did GUI work back in 1991 and hadn't kept up on the topic since.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
I've put together a group but too many people turned up (around 10 people) so we've split into two subgroups and will try to enter two games:

One is a game based around flicking through public access TV stations trying to find interesting stuff. We're still playing with the theme but right now it's split between either a flappy birds style "stay awake as long as you can" or a horror game where the character needs to stay awake until morning or they'll get eaten.

and the other is a multiplayer (3+ player) game based around creating scenes that other people will watch. It's spread over a few rounds, each with 3 stages: Create a scene given some props - watch everyone else's shows given a "need", a thing that you want to watch - review your own show with the viewing figures - repeat, trying to tailor your show to what you think your audience are looking for.

We're using Unity for both of them (and part of what we want to do with this is get more comfortable with Unity). We'll give it two weeks and if one of the ideas looks dead in the water we can reorganise.

One thing I'm concerned about at the moment will be co-ordinating judges to be able to play a 3+ players game so it gets fairly judged. I'm sure we'll figure something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Well it's not anything yet but I have a title screen and volume control so I guess that's something?

e: And the volume preference stays saved in localStorage.

• Locked thread