Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Have you heard of this game? Wendy: Every Witch Way is a fairly obscure Gameboy Color game that you’d probably pass over if you saw it today. Afterall, Wendy the witch is a children’s cartoon character and the vast majority of games made for the Gameboy were intended for kids as quick cash grabs.

Well it's a game developed by the much beloved WayFoward Technologies. Released very late into the GBC's lifecycle (aug 2001) it was fairly overlooked mostly due to being a GBC game in the new GBA era. So let's jump into it shall we?

The gameplay in Every Witch Way isn't overly complex, but is very interesting. Wendy has gained the ability to control gravity and must trek through the worlds using this power to the best of her ability. Walking on the ceiling, moving objects and enemies to open paths; and just being able to get over usually impossible dangers. If you had ever played Irem's Metal Storm for the NES, then you will know this game is WayFoward's homage to that NES classic.

I'll be playing on Hard because its how the game is meant to be played. Final level is locked out of Normal, It doesn't alter the stages in any way beyond a few more enemies, but it does change one thing so drastically it completely changes how the game has to be played. I will explain it more in the LP. Also the game features a few bonus stages only accessible when played on a Gameboy Advance. Showing its very late release.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
I wish I owned a pair of footie pajamas.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Vifs posted:

I wish I owned a pair of footie pajamas.
If those footie pajamas are what gives her gravity changing powers, then yes, I want them, too.

Otherwise I just want the gravity changing powers.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Shei-kun posted:

If those footie pajamas are what gives her gravity changing powers, then yes, I want them, too.

Otherwise I just want the gravity changing powers.

Or you could just have rad PJ's. Tough choice, I know.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This looks like a fun little game with some nifty animations.

Just trying to understand the red-and-yellow platforms. It looked like you might only be able to pass through them in one direction, but is there only one type that you can jump through (but not fall down) no matter which direction you're going?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Glazius posted:

This looks like a fun little game with some nifty animations.

Just trying to understand the red-and-yellow platforms. It looked like you might only be able to pass through them in one direction, but is there only one type that you can jump through (but not fall down) no matter which direction you're going?

Yeah that is exactly it. You can pass through the yellow floors from the head up, if that makes sense. You can never just go through them feet first.

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 13, 2014

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

time for an update!

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
What a neat game. It reminds me of metal storm but they do more varied things with gravity.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

GladRagKraken posted:

What a neat game. It reminds me of metal storm but they do more varied things with gravity.

I am glad you are enjoying it. World 3 introduces some more new things to gravity through. Enjoy!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really this feels a lot like The Letter V Six Times, especially with the spike-filled plummets.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Glazius posted:

Really this feels a lot like The Letter V Six Times, especially with the spike-filled plummets.

Oh wow yeah I didn't think about it, but they do share a lot of the same concepts.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The title even has the letter 'W' three times, which looks like 'V' six times. :tinfoil:

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

the mystery thickens, oh and the main game ends. just one more update to go!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Watching that, I wish they had done more gravity-based boss fights.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Glazius posted:

Watching that, I wish they had done more gravity-based boss fights.

I can only guess the time restraints and budget they had to make this game. I would love a spiritual successor someday.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Are you ready to enter a world so next gen, so beyond that it can only be accessed by playing the game on the Gameboy Advance?

well okay here is World 5 (Advance World)

Alright, and that is the LP. Thanks for watching this short adventure with me, and check out Vif's on-going Tony Hawk Underground 2 LP that I co-lp in.

Thanks again!

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
So what happens if you try plugging in an Advance World code into the game when it's running on a Gameboy Color?

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Kgummy posted:

So what happens if you try plugging in an Advance World code into the game when it's running on a Gameboy Color?

I just tested it and it loaded the stage fine. So basically it was GBA locked for no reason (except to sell GBAs).

Zackcat fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 23, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. On-disk DLC, the early years?

Anyway, they look like they might have been like the super-hard special stages that unlock the good ending, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There were a couple late GBC games that had bonuses for playing on a GBA, I presume Nintendo gave you some extra cash if you implemented that. They don't use the GBA hardware in any way, it's just a flag in the BIOS that says "is GBA? y/n".

Other examples include the Advance Shop in the Zelda Oracles and a bonus transformation in the GBC Shantae.

• Locked thread