Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Slice of Tech Annoyance: I posted earlier about how my second monitor was flickering. It randomly resolved itself as I was getting my keys to go buy a new HDMI cable, so I shrugged it off as a fluke. When it happened again a few hours ago, I brushed it off because I knew it would resolve itself again, which it did.

Now it's 1 in the morning and at random, my second monitor shuts down with a NO SIGNAL message, meaning it's probably (hopefully) just that my HDMI cable decided to poo poo the bed. Which is weird, because I literally never move the cable and I'm not sure how/why cables fail like that. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Ok, Transformers 4 isn't quite as good as 3.

However, there is a gag where Autobot technology is used to morph a My Little Pony into an assault rifle.

A My Little Pony, into an assault rifle.

Optimus Prime is compared to a My Little Pony figurine that turns into an assault rifle. In Transformers 4.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

penismightier posted:

My journey through Homeric cinema has taken a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b8tp4oc7w

Prof clumsy, does this count as a fan film?

I don't know about a fan film, but that's certainly the most accurate movie about being a Literature major in a small Midwestern college I've ever seen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, Transformers 4 isn't quite as good as 3.

However, there is a gag where Autobot technology is used to morph a My Little Pony into an assault rifle.

A My Little Pony, into an assault rifle.

Optimus Prime is compared to a My Little Pony figurine that turns into an assault rifle. In Transformers 4.

That is definitely a thing that happens.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm more blown away by the fact that James Bachman is in the new Transformers movie. Good for him.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

penismightier posted:

Today my mom said she was excited for Better Call Saul because she likes "that guy who plays Saul, Van Oderberg."

Is her favorite movie The Best Beef in the South?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I think I'm going to post a thread in Fitness Log Cabin to help motivate me to push through my next fitness hurdles. Though if I'm honest I think I've already done most of the hard work dropping 100+ pounds and going from "lazy rear end in a top hat who sweats while eating" to "runs 18.5 miles in 8 days."

Tonight I went on a date with a married lady in a poly relationship and it was the best date I've been on in ages and I don't know how I feel about that other than to say THIS IS PORTLAND over and over again.

And this weekend I think I'm going to go on a 3 day backpacking trip where there are falling hazards all by myself so wish me luck in not dying and poo poo.

I need to watch some movies but Oregon is so loving pretty right now oh my god.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Geekboy posted:

Tonight I went on a date with a married lady in a poly relationship and it was the best date I've been on in ages and I don't know how I feel about that other than to say THIS IS PORTLAND over and over again.

I think the first thing I do when I get a 3D printer will be to just send you solid, tangible representations of all your bad ideas in the form of your posts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I think I'm going to post a thread in Fitness Log Cabin to help motivate me to push through my next fitness hurdles. Though if I'm honest I think I've already done most of the hard work dropping 100+ pounds and going from "lazy rear end in a top hat who sweats while eating" to "runs 18.5 miles in 8 days."

Do this.

quote:

Don't do this.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I hope you like jealousy, drama and other men's dicks.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I hope you like jealousy, drama and other men's dicks.

he reads this forum dosnt he?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Geekboy, definitely go on another date with her. She could be your soulmate!
:munch:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Noxville posted:

Do this.

Don't do this.

Do both. Do everything.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
emmure is hilarious only because frankie palmeri is a huge fuckin manchild nerd and probably a goon, too.

edit: this is an entirely new page and i didn't notice.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Toebone posted:

Do both. Do everything.

I concur!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

penismightier posted:

My journey through Homeric cinema has taken a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3b8tp4oc7w

Prof clumsy, does this count as a fan film?

I like the Gladiator music.

I liked the T2 reference in Trans4mers.

Found this by accident the other day, I had no idea how many of the overplayed songs of the 90's were by 1 band https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6155qMkwy8
They're better now with the space of time from those radio days that made me sick of them, but there are still a couple I don't like.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 1, 2014

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Michael Mann's Thief is a masterpiece. That is all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not that I was expecting it to be but The Rover is not a 'feel good' movie, not at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

As a guy who's at various points been on all the antipsychotics Cooper's character was on, has a turbulent relationship with NFL fandom, dysfunctional relationships with family and exes, etc., I should've related intensely to the film. And if it came out 5 years ago I probably would've loved it. But something about it just rubs me the wrong way, and it's not just the contrived way everyone in it acts like a space alien imitating human behavior. I don't quite know how to articulate this but I feel like it panders to male vanity... the way it excuses emotional unavailability and violent outbursts as just like, harmless squares on the human quilt, the conclusion it comes to that Oh we're all a little crazy in our own way, aint it grand, it's just such a top to bottom load of fucken buffalo poo poo that wants to flatter and pander its way into your heart. I don't like to get on a high horse about this stuff but it's a loathsome film.

It's wack unmitigated. It's ball gravy. It puts Three Kings into question.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wonder which movie is worse in this regard: Silver Linings Playbook or Side Effects.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
By nature of being a thriller I think I'm predisposed to let Side Effects' preposterous assertions slide. Plus, it's a better movie anyway.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

By nature of being a thriller I think I'm predisposed to let Side Effects' preposterous assertions slide. Plus, it's a better movie anyway.

Oh it's absolutely a better movie (although I'm still glad Soderbergh did Behind the Candelabra so we can refer to that as his last movie). I can handle my movies being problematic, but I can't handle them being boring.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
What Hundu said. I found Side Effects darkly funny, because I don't think its perspective on psychiatry is particularly sincere. The ending is like Frank Grimes' casket sinking at the end of that Simpsons episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen SLP, but I felt alot of Side Effects oddness was part of the point. I feel alot of people went in wanting a movie that shows the evils of big pharma but instead got a movie that pretty much says that while big pharma is bad, that doesn't really let the culture that allows it to exist off the hook. The ridiculousness in that movie comes as a result of a culture that just sort of weighs the negatives of side effects versus the negatives of not taking the meds and chooses which is the least harmful way to live. The ridiculous aspect of the movie comes from characters using the ridiculousness of the way the system is pretty much set up and accepted.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

What Hundu said. I found Side Effects darkly funny, because I don't think its perspective on psychiatry is particularly sincere. The ending is like Frank Grimes' casket sinking at the end of that Simpsons episode.

I never thought of it like that, but is incredibly callous and meanspirited to the point where it didn't register with me right away that it was funny, too. It's also really funny that after all the South Park and Family Guy and Always Sunny and Adult Swim and all that poo poo, that's still one of the darkest jokes I can think of on TV.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't know if any of you are following Marijuana Simpsons on Twitter, but you totally should be.

https://twitter.com/Homer_Marijuana

I recommend starting from the beginning and reading up.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I've white knighted Side Effects here before, so sorry if it's getting old. My takeaway was less people who claim to have mental illness are lying to take advantage of others and more we as a society are starting to have a grasp and understanding of depression, but still condemn, reject and hide problems like sociopathy because we have no idea what to do with them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never post shorts but today's is a good one, by Jason Eisener:

YTOTD: ONE LAST DIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV0pNU9htnw

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TrixRabbi posted:

I don't know if any of you are following Marijuana Simpsons on Twitter, but you totally should be.

https://twitter.com/Homer_Marijuana

I recommend starting from the beginning and reading up.

This is good, but the #AskThicke hashtag is today's Twitter highlight.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
gently caress Robin Thicke.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

I never post shorts but today's is a good one, by Jason Eisener:

YTOTD: ONE LAST DIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV0pNU9htnw

Haha, cool.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I tried doing a Canada Day sync thing, but all the videos I used last year got taken down on copyright, so I've used the time to set up USA DAY!

Not 1! Not 2! NOT EVEN 3!

FOUR FULL COMPLETE HULK HOGAN FILMS, ONLY IN SYNCTUBE!

Thunder In Paradise, The Secret Agent Club, and Shadow Warriors 1 and 2!

July 4! http://psp-tv.com/r/dgenerationass!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Is Robin Thicke officially a one-hit wonder yet?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Battle of Algiers is a good movie to make you despair for humankind and/or get really angry about everything.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Battle of Algiers is a good movie to make you despair for humankind and/or get really angry about everything.
Awwww, but the ending just seems so buoyant!

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Finally got around to watching The Visitor. It's genuinely kind of impressive.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Geekboy make the fitness log

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Something I've noticed from cataloging the YTOTDs is how many of them are from the 80s and 90s, with a large chunk being made-for-TV stuff. Of course, it makes sense, given the 80s as the age of video and people probably had these old specials sitting in their attics for years until they decided to upload them to Youtube.

But speaking of YTOTD, here's a double feature of Orson Welles' Othello along with his 1978 documentary Filming Othello (which would become Welles' last completed feature film).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09NWcKA7JKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvqeQt8aLnU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I went to go see how much it costs to buy Blue Jam on CD and it's a hundred goddamn dollars (one used for 20 bucks).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I went to go see how much it costs to buy Blue Jam on CD and it's a hundred goddamn dollars (one used for 20 bucks).

The Chris Morris compilation CD? It's alright but its hardly the best sketches and you lose the atmosphere without the uncannily perfect music selection. Best to listen to full episodes on youtube. My Wrongs and the Jam DVDs would be better buys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzquCGpuIsQ

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 1, 2014

• Locked thread