Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Power Pack filled a void in Marvel that was left at that time. Peter Parker was always the quintessential "Real young people problems" hero, but by this time he had grown up a lot and had settled down and had more adult problems. So Marvel made the Power Pack to give kids a comic to relate to. I don't know how well that translated to sales, but I've heard that story a few times and creators always tell it like it was a great idea that worked out well.

Also question for new page content: When did it become the norm to credit creators on the cover? I've been reading a lot of 70s/80s Marvel and they never have credits on the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha did Peter David just retcon all of the Bruce Jones run as "just a dream"?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zoux posted:

Haha did Peter David just retcon all of the Bruce Jones run as "just a dream"?

Yes, he did. And we were all grateful for it even if his return wasn't that great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
David left it open to interpretation whether it was really a dream or not, but everyone who read the story decided to take him up on the offer, so yeah, it was a dream.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Was there ever a Daredevil story where Matt woke up one day and could just see fine and needed to figure out why because it hosed with his powers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there a rhyme or reason to the Hulk's varying levels of intelligence or is it just up the the whim of the writer? I just finished Pak's stuff where he was an intelligent conqueror and now he's back to HULK SMASH.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Was there ever a Daredevil story where in court he dropped a briefcase on the floor really loud to prove that the person suing him didn't really have a neck injury when they snap their head around in reaction to the loud noise?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

zoux posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason to the Hulk's varying levels of intelligence or is it just up the the whim of the writer? I just finished Pak's stuff where he was an intelligent conqueror and now he's back to HULK SMASH.

Short version: multiple personality disorder.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Was there ever a Daredevil story where Matt woke up one day and could just see fine and needed to figure out why because it hosed with his powers?

Sort of. Right at the end of his first series there was a 4 issue arc where Matt volunteered to go undercover for SHIELD. He needed to be super deep cover so they gave him a sort of artificial personality and as a side effect of the procedure he regained his site. Thing is he didn't know that he was Matt Murdock. I'd say it wasn't a bad story but it was written by Scott Lobdell so nobody here will like it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

he regained his site.

So like he let his domain lapse, but bought it again? Cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

So like he let his domain lapse, but bought it again? Cool.

I'm gonna lapse your face!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Has there ever been a 616 Miles Morales at all? Even as just a sly mention/nod to the Ultimate universe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Potsticker posted:

Has there ever been a 616 Miles Morales at all? Even as just a sly mention/nod to the Ultimate universe?

Yes, the last page of Spider-Men.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yes, the last page of Spider-Men.

Thanks, but could you elaborate at all?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He pretty much did. Parker gets back to 616 and googles Miles Morales, then he gasps at what he finds. THE END. TO BE CONTINUED?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Thanks, but could you elaborate at all?

They basically look up 616 Miles and everyone says "Oh no!" and then the LOST title card comes down.

(The Spider-Men follow-up is supposed to elaborate.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is that Spider-Men 2 still happening? The first one was quite a while ago now.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bendis isn't exactly prompt with this stuff, but it got shelved for a while due to Superior Spider-Man so hopefully soon.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Did Daredevil ever find out it was Paladin who shot him right before he went to jail?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
There was discussion in another thread but I pose it here: What are the most divisive event comics? What I mean is, events that are split almost evenly into "LOVE IT" or "loving HATE IT". The only ones I can think of are Identity Crisis and Civil War.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd probably put Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis on there

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was discussion in another thread but I pose it here: What are the most divisive event comics? What I mean is, events that are split almost evenly into "LOVE IT" or "loving HATE IT". The only ones I can think of are Identity Crisis and Civil War.

Not quite what you're asking, because pretty much everyone agrees (here at least) that Fear Itself was dumb and sucked, but personally it's a divisive event for me, because while it was dumb and sucked, it was also the starting point of the Kid Loki run on Journey into Mystery, which is some of my favorite comics ever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Bendis isn't exactly prompt with this stuff, but it got shelved for a while due to Superior Spider-Man so hopefully soon.

In the mean time, we get some sort of Miles 616 crossover soon in All-New X-Men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the mean time, we get some sort of Miles 616 crossover soon in All-New X-Men.

Wait, what? Why?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Wait, what? Why?

'cause

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Welp. Now I'm confused.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To keep with the alliteration theme

For fucks sake.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Metal Loaf posted:

Were the Power Pack a really big deal in the mid-1980s? I've never read their series but they seem to show up in a lot of crossovers, and in some of them they seem like kind of an odd fit - off the top of my head, Katie Power shows up in a Barry Windsor-Smith issue of X-Men where Wolverine spends the entire story getting slaughtered by Lady Deathstrike and the Reavers
This issue is loving amazing btw. Uncanny #205.

I don't think that there was anything to it other than writers wanting to promote Power Pack, the Mutant Massacre tie-in was because Simonson was writing X-Factor, the Thor tie-in would have been because (Walt) Simonson was on that book, and Claremont and Simonson were good friends so he would have wanted to help out her book.

iirc Power Pack was one of the first books available exclusively in the Direct Market, so I do think Marvel wanted it to do well, too.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Potsticker posted:

Welp. Now I'm confused.

Bendis is no doubt justifiably afraid of a Slott written Miles so he's removing that option from the table.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That looks like Ultimate Miles, not 616 Miles (not that we've seen him, but he's not Spider-Man.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I think its a tie in with the Spider-man event in which every Spider-man is involved.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That looks like Ultimate Miles, not 616 Miles (not that we've seen him, but he's not Spider-Man.)

Yeah. I meant Miles/616 crossover.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Definitely Civil War. I remember the internet arguments. They weren't pretty.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Age of Apocalypse is a good one too...I've seen people slam it as the worst event ever, but some were super excited about the omnibus.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

I'd say it wasn't a bad story but it was written by Scott Lobdell so nobody here will like it.

I know his recent DC stuff is supposed to be pretty bad, but do people really harbor that much of a dislike for Lobdell? His Generation X is great, and at his worst he always just struck me as a guy willing to write, competently and dependably, what his editors wanted for a paycheck (Excalibur) which I can't really fault him for that much.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Age of Apocalypse is a good one too...I've seen people slam it as the worst event ever, but some were super excited about the omnibus.

I always considered AoA to be a big comic done right, but should it really be considered an "event comic"? Stuff like AoA and No Man's Land are long multi-level story arcs that might be limited in scope but still change up the status quo for the title over a long period of time. I always assumed event comics were more mini-series set up to change everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archyduke posted:

I know his recent DC stuff is supposed to be pretty bad, but do people really harbor that much of a dislike for Lobdell? His Generation X is great, and at his worst he always just struck me as a guy willing to write, competently and dependably, what his editors wanted for a paycheck (Excalibur) which I can't really fault him for that much.

I've seen people dredging up old Lobdell comics to prove that he's always been a lovely writer but honestly, the first two years of GenX are amazing comics. His Uncanny run isn't bad either considering what he had to deal with on that book.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobdell's mainline X-Men stuff was bad even then but yeah AoA and Gen X are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lobdell's mainline X-Men stuff was bad even then but yeah AoA and Gen X are great.

I think his main title X-Men stuff is fine. Writing X-Men/Uncanny in the 90's must have been a brutally unforgiving gig for anybody interested in telling their own stories-- the Kelly/Seagle runs were both really promising but really frustrating to read in hindsight. His interim run on X-Factor between PAD and DeMatteis is rough going though, although post-Simonson X-Factor has never seemed to have any raison d'etre aside from "let PAD go wild" (although Milligan/Allred X-Force/X-Statix is essentially a different spin on making good on the X-Factor premise).