Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Lycus posted:

Occupation should make a Toxx that he'll watch LMS for ten seasons if Glover comes back, and then Glover will come back.

I want Troy back as badly as anyone, but at what cost?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure they'll get Troy back for the movie.

In fact, there's your plot.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I think you're misunderstanding the article.

Hulu passed after those advanced talks but because Yahoo made such a great presentation to compete with Hulu they went with them.

Netflix probably passed because of rights issues with Sony.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

greatn posted:

I was just doing the bit from S1, but fell asleep before I could reply "That's Black"

Oh good. I'm just trying to keep from using "that's gay" as a punchline, because I do it way too much.

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure they'll get Troy back for the movie.

In fact, there's your plot.

Make it a partial "Search for Spock" spoof.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ZDar Fan posted:

I want Troy back as badly as anyone, but at what cost?!
I'm pretty sure that's actually a win-win right there.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

thexerox123 posted:

I think at this point, execs who are demonstrably fighting for the show and in favour of giving them full creative control must be a big selling point for both Harmon and Sony.

poo poo, we might get more D&D Episodes and Black Hitler might make a comeback too! :dance:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Mister Fister posted:

poo poo, we might get more D&D Episodes and Black Hitler might make a comeback too! :dance:

Seriously, anybody who says that season 5 was the worst has absolutely no credibility, because the second D&D episode was golden.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I do agree the finale was kind of half-assed, but the rest of the season was pretty solid. 5 meowmeowbeans.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Huh, I just realized that Community moving to Yahoo! is functionally the same as if it had moved to FXX or some other cable channel trying to make a name for themselves. Obviously Sony is still going to have some say in matters, but it really seems like Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna are going to get a lot of freedom with season 6. I mean, Yahoo! has the Leftovers pilot up at the moment, so they obviously don't shy away from sex and violence.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Yes, because we all know lack of freedom is what dragged down season 5 instead of, say, poor characterization, an over-reliance on lovely gimmicks and retreading popular episodes from the show's prime. Clearly, then, it stands to reason that more freedom will magically make the show better.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 1, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
To say nothing of how bad the show looks aesthetically. Surely Yahoo! will give the show a much larger budget than some rink-a-dink operation like NBC, allowing them to fix the lighting and film in more than one location (perhaps even outside!). If Harmon's so intent on beating the dead horse that is Greendale, wouldn't it be amazing if it actually looked like a Community College again?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Irish Joe posted:

To say nothing of how bad the show looks aesthetically. Surely Yahoo! will give the show a much larger budget than some rink-a-dink operation like NBC, allowing them to fix the lighting and film in more than one location (perhaps even outside!). If Harmon's so intent on beating the dead horse that is Greendale, wouldn't it be amazing if it actually looked like a Community College again?

They've reported that they're going to have a budget at least as high as season 5, so they're not going to get LESS of a budget than some rink-a-dink operation like NBC.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Irish Joe posted:

Yes, because we all know lack of freedom is what dragged down season 5 instead of, say, poor characterization, an over-reliance on lovely gimmicks and retreading popular episodes from the show's prime. Clearly, then, it stands to reason that more freedom will magically make the show better.

Irish Joe posted:

This is some bottom-tier work, dude. Try harder.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno he's kinda right.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
On the other hand, he isn't.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I hope the season continues the downward curve of production value and it's just Joel and the gang in their basement being filmed with cellphone cameras.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I dunno he's kinda right.

There was nothing of merit anywhere in that. I'll admit the season didn't finish quite as strongly as it started but I'd argue it has at least four all-time great episodes in it, and the weaker finish is biasing the perspective. The rest is just deliberately misframing everything and boringly transparent trolling by way of being an insufferable jackass. By even bothering to explain this poo poo to you I'm validating those shitposts as meaningful efforts way more than they deserve.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I hope the season continues the downward curve of production value and it's just Joel and the gang in their basement being filmed with cellphone cameras.

That's the kind of "auteurship" Joss Whedon gets celebrated for so I'm not sure this would be a step back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't think they want to buy any of your androids for filming purposes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

There was nothing of merit anywhere in that. I'll admit the season didn't finish quite as strongly as it started but I'd argue it has at least four all-time great episodes in it, and the weaker finish is biasing the perspective. The rest is just deliberately misframing everything and boringly transparent trolling by way of being an insufferable jackass. By even bothering to explain this poo poo to you I'm validating those shitposts as meaningful efforts way more than they deserve.
If you don't think that Community has gone downhill visually since Season 3 I dunno what to tell you.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Irish Joe drags this thread down to season 4 quality. Put him on your ignore list and it immediately jumps up there to season 2!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I am Senor Chang Community and I can't be killed.

At this point it would be silly not to have a movie, right? At the very least this show could produce a legitimately interesting documentary. Behind the scenes controversy, castmembers leaving, bad ratings but a loyal fanbase keeping it going, Harmon gets fired, the new showrunners being disliked, Harmon gets rehired, cancellation and revival on a web streaming video service.

bowser fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 2, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sefer posted:

They've reported that they're going to have a budget at least as high as season 5, so they're not going to get LESS of a budget than some rink-a-dink operation like NBC.
Boilerplate SAG and IATSE contracts stipulate raises every year, so the longer a show is on the air, the higher its budget needs to be to maintain the same production values.

If they're the same as last year, that's effectively a budget cut.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Community eats the sun and drinks the skies and they both go with it when it diiieeeeessss~

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
I don't know why people are worrying that a movie won't get made. If Sony or some studio won't bankroll it, they can get the money on Kickstarter.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MrAristocrates posted:

Well the show has looked pretty bad ever since the Russos left and it really shows in the bad lighting and color grading that plagues a lot of the later season episodes. Something like the ACB/Fincher episode would've been better with a production that had the capability of making filmic visuals.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

1st AD posted:

Well the show has looked pretty bad ever since the Russos left and it really shows in the bad lighting and color grading that plagues a lot of the later season episodes. Something like the ACB/Fincher episode would've been better with a production that had the capability of making filmic visuals.

I'm a huge community fan. But you can't ignore the fact that the show looks cheaper and stops having the big visual outdoor set pieces after season 2. It goes from looking like a movie to looking like a low budget TV show. This has nothing to do with the quality of the stories or if troy is sibliminally tweeting anything. It just looks different and by different I mean worse.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Last Chance posted:

I don't think they want to buy any of your androids for filming purposes.

My android make me money on their own now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm a huge community fan. But you can't ignore the fact that the show looks cheaper and stops having the big visual outdoor set pieces after season 2. It goes from looking like a movie to looking like a low budget TV show. This has nothing to do with the quality of the stories or if troy is sibliminally tweeting anything. It just looks different and by different I mean worse.

Yeah it's not even losing the outdoor sets, because I think those were largely gone in season 2 but those episodes still looked great because they were very creative about working around their budget limitations (I mean the D&D episode is visually fantastic even though there's only the study room set and one tiny broom closet), but it starts looking less like a movie and more like a standard sitcom over the course of season 3-5 and I'm not sure you can place that all on a dwindling budget but rather an exodus of talent.

Good cinematography is a huge component of visual storytelling and Community doesn't work as well when it stops looking like a film.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
From the KS thread:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reading Rainbow just added another pledge reward: everyone who chucks in an extra $10 will get access to an online event with Levar Burton and Donald Glover (Troy from Community) reading stories on a boat. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOG3XwX9Yw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqPBIREg0ps

:)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Meatwave posted:

From the KS thread:

:)

I've poo poo on Donald Glover's rap career before but all will be forgiven if he does a cover of the Things To Do Rap.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Anyone who didn't like season 5 is a wiener.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Season five was good, but I still don't really want a season six. Hopefully it will be worthwhile.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I stopped watching at the end of season 3. How did they write troy off the show?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mordiceius posted:

So I stopped watching at the end of season 3. How did they write troy off the show?

He went on a sailing adventure with LeVar Burton.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mordiceius posted:

Pierce died and left him a bunch of money contingent on him circumnavigating the globe. He is currently doing so with LeVar Burton.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bowser posted:

At this point it would be silly not to have a movie, right? At the very least this show could produce a legitimately interesting documentary...

Dean Pelton is ousted by the board of educators, leading to a less popular dean. In the end, the gang leaves Greendale to help Pelton run an online academy bankrolled by Pierce's asswipe moneys.

A good companion piece to all those episode making fun of Chevy Chase for being an old fuddy that thinks he's invaluable!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Spoeank posted:

Pierce died and left him a bunch of money contingent on him circumnavigating the globe. He is currently doing so held captive by pirates with LeVar Burton.

FTFY

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Yes, because we all know lack of freedom is what dragged down season 5

It is, and you're a retard if you think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

And the leader of the pirates...is Professor Slater!

• Locked thread