Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Slate Action posted:

The 10% membership discount only applies to in-store purchases, doesn't it? Online purchases don't get the discount.

Hmm? To my recollection, I used to get the extra %10 when I ordered online. You have to put in you B&N card number, but it usually worked.

Gonna head to B&N for the sale today. My wallet is shaking with fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Hewlett posted:

Hmm? To my recollection, I used to get the extra %10 when I ordered online. You have to put in you B&N card number, but it usually worked.
B&N cracked down on combining discounts, didn't they?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pappyland posted:

Apart from A Hard Day's Night, I'm having a bit of trouble justifying purchases of anything I'm keen on save titles that may go OOP between now and the next Criterion.com Flash Sale (e.g. Belle Du Jour, and MAYBE Pandora's Box?), mainly due to sales tax. That said, in case my impulse buying takes control at some point,

What might be some good blind buys for someone who owns (and loves) among others:

Nights of Cabiria/Amarcord/La Strada/every Fellini film, for the most part
The Qatsi Trilogy
Every Wes Anderson film on Criterion
Crumb
Hausu
Phantom of Liberty
Harold and Maude
Being John Malkovich
Jacques Tati (e.g. Playtime)

Other notes:
- I can't get into Bergman (despite having watched Wild Strawberries/The Seventh Seal multiple times - though I do like Woody Allen's pastiches of Bergman's works)
- Truffaut/Goddard are alright, but they kinda leave me cold?
- Cleo from 9 to 5, I rather liked. Perhaps Jacques Demy might be my style? The BBS Story?
Your taste is very similar to mine. (http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/67453-fenixdown/collection)

I recommend Badlands, My Life as a Dog, Kuroneko, Night of the Hunter, Down By Law, or Repo Man.

As a side note, you will probably like Persona.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

robix smash posted:

B&N cracked down on combining discounts, didn't they?

That might be true; I may also be misremembering this and just thinking of the days when you could add on those 20% off coupons.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fenix down posted:

Down By Law

Down By Law isn't bad (it features Tom Waits in his first leading role, if that's your thing). It didn't quite float my boat enough to want to own it, but it's certainly worth a try.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Down By Law isn't bad (it features Tom Waits in his first leading role, if that's your thing). It didn't quite float my boat enough to want to own it, but it's certainly worth a try.
I figured Poppyland might like Jarmusch or Malick, seeing our similarities in other areas. My first Jarmusch was actually Dead Man, but there isn't a Criterion of it.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

fenix down posted:

I figured Poppyland might like Jarmusch or Malick, seeing our similarities in other areas. My first Jarmusch was actually Dead Man, but there isn't a Criterion of it.

I thank you very much for your suggestions!
I'll probably try F&A, followed by Night of the Hunter/Badlands/some Malick first and foremost. (mainly as Jarmusch is hit or miss - I liked Dead Man, though Mystery Train was so-so in my book.)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Any thoughts on Hidden Fortress, Devil's Backbone, and Cronos? I dig GDT's other films, but I've never seen those two.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Any thoughts on Hidden Fortress, Devil's Backbone, and Cronos? I dig GDT's other films, but I've never seen those two.

The Devil's Backbone is a Spanish-speaking film about an orphanage during Spain's civil war that focuses heavily on child actors, with a little mystery/horror sprinkled in. The writing/acting is fantastic. If you liked Pan's Labyrinth, this is a pretty safe bet, but again: most of the film is about the kids.

Cronos is a vampire flick that's also in Spanish (with some English), and I don't think I have much to compare it to. Maybe, in tone, because it's so different (focuses on an older man), you could compare it to an old Twilight Zone episode. Ron Perlman is awesome in it, too.

Both are by Guilllermo del Toro, so if you like his stuff, you have nothing to fear. I'd venture to say Cronos is the stronger of the two.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Red posted:

The Devil's Backbone is a Spanish-speaking film about an orphanage during Spain's civil war that focuses heavily on child actors, with a little mystery/horror sprinkled in. The writing/acting is fantastic. If you liked Pan's Labyrinth, this is a pretty safe bet, but again: most of the film is about the kids.

Cronos is a vampire flick that's also in Spanish (with some English), and I don't think I have much to compare it to. Maybe, in tone, because it's so different (focuses on an older man), you could compare it to an old Twilight Zone episode. Ron Perlman is awesome in it, too.

Both are by Guilllermo del Toro, so if you like his stuff, you have nothing to fear. I'd venture to say Cronos is the stronger of the two.

This is a pretty accurate post, but I think I enjoyed Devil's Backbone more than Cronos. Backbone has a noticeable lack of Perlman, though, and is probably the heavier movie (Spanish Civil War + child actors + GDT is apparently a recipe for feeling awful afterwards).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Red posted:

I like everything about these sentences. I'll probably pick up both of them because I have no self-control.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Pappyland posted:

(mainly as Jarmusch is hit or miss - I liked Dead Man, though Mystery Train was so-so in my book.)

I'm a fan of everything Jarmusch has done so I'm biased, but you may want to check out Night on Earth... like Mystery Train, it's an anthology film, however the stories are shorter, there are more of them, and they're more varied in tone.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just buy the hidden fortress. No regrets!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So this is my first B&N sale and what have you people done to me...?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fenix down posted:

Ah, I didn't mean to impugn your opinion; I was offering my contrary opinion since I also happened to share a lot of favorites with Pappyland as well (and also the sort of indifference regarding Wild Strawberries and Seventh Seal), but Down By Law didn't really click as well as some of the others Pappyland listed.

From the sound of it, Jarmusch does sound like it could be inconsistent for him, too. But then again Down By Law isn't anthological, so it's hard to say how he might take it (I haven't seen any other Jarmusch)

To be fair, the only way to be sure is to see it yourself, I suppose. It's certainly not like Down By Law is a Tiny Furniture.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I promote this one every chance I get, but y'all should really take advantage and get the Pearls of the Czech New Wave eclipse set. It's got Daisies, The Joke, and Capricious Summer, three of the best films Criterion ever released.

edit: Down by Law rules. As does Stranger Than Paradise and Mystery Train.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Slate Action posted:

So this is my first B&N sale and what have you people done to me...?

Good job, rookie mistake of buying DVDs though.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

zenintrude posted:

Good job, rookie mistake of buying DVDs though.

I figured Hoop Dreams wouldn't look any better on Blu-Ray since it was shot with camcorders, and if/when Short Cuts gets an upgrade I'll just sell/give away my copy, no sweat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Hoop Dreams restoration (on the left) actually looks pretty good:

...though I still probably wouldn't buy it on Blu-ray.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I used some restraint and only bought Red River. I had a gift card and managed to get it for $15. Gonna go back next week for All That Heaven Allows and that'll probably be it for this sale. I would get Knife in the Water but I think I'm gonna wait and see if it gets a Blu-Ray upgrade.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I picked up Vanya on 42nd Street and The Only Son/There Was A Father.

If you're a collector you should grab 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Stemberg, as it's going out of print.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Cloks posted:

If you're a collector you should grab 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Stemberg, as it's going out of print.

If that's at your B&N, you should snatch it up and resale, regardless. There isn't one that has it in stock within 100 miles of me, and it is not offered for sale at B&N's website.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They are probably releasing the Sternberg set in new packaging and on Blu. Same thing for Pandora's Box. No reason for either to be OOP for rights.

I'm sort of broke and will be lucky to get A Hard Day's Night, but here is what I would have binged on:

A Hard Day's Night
City Lights
The Freshman
The Life Aquatic
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Foreign Correspondent
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Throne of Blood
To Be or Not to Be

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I can't afford anything this sale but it's almost as satisfying recommending purchases for other posters and seeing photos of their loot, so buy buy buy!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
With how often these sales come I don't feel so bad skipping out on one either. They should just drop the normal price of Criterions to $15-20.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't afford anything this sale but it's almost as satisfying recommending purchases for other posters and seeing photos of their loot, so buy buy buy!

Ask and you shall receive - and - my haul this afternoon. They didn't have Jules and Jim or Ace in the Hole at the store, so I also bought those online. Smaller stack than usual, but I may pick up 1-2 more titles towards the end of the sale.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I blind picked up The Night of the Hunter. Might as well see what all the hype is about. When I get some extra cash I'll probably pick up It's A Mad Mad Mad World and Scanners when that comes out.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Detective No. 27 posted:

I blind picked up The Night of the Hunter. Might as well see what all the hype is about. When I get some extra cash I'll probably pick up It's A Mad Mad Mad World and Scanners when that comes out.

Night of the Hunter rules.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I thought long and hard on Night of the Hunter...but I've already seen it, and there was so much else to get. Next time, next time...:unsmith:

Ended up with:
- The Life Aquatic
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Thief
- Marketa Lazarova
- Picnic at Hanging Rock
- The Hidden Fortress

And I'll have to go back for Scanners when it comes out later in the month.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
My place completely sold out of the Cassavetes 5 Films set, so phooey, but I picked up

A Hard Day's Night
Red River (for my dad, though I love it as well)
Persona
Repo Man
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Investigation of a Citizen Under Suspicion
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence

all on Bluray or the combo-packs (which I'll miss, it was great sharing movies with my quasi-Luddite dad, he used to review movies in the '70s and knew Lindsay Anderson pretty well, but only has a DVD player).

I think I want to snatch up the Pearls of the Czech New Wave and Late Ray sets, but I feel pretty complete with all the rest of my Criterions at present. Unless, of course, I suddenly come into enough money to buy EVERYTHING.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
I feel like Badlands is one of the safest recommendations I could make. I haven't seen any other films by Malick (yet), but Badlands has become one of my favorite Criterion purchases I've made.

Elevator to the Gallows (DVD only) is another one I'd recommend. Excellent and stylish French thriller/noir coupled with a wonderful Miles Davis soundtrack.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Ended up with:
- Marketa Lazarova

Oh wow, I didn't know that was Criterion. Haven't heard much about it, but I've been meaning to watch it for a while now.

TrixRabbi posted:

I promote this one every chance I get, but y'all should really take advantage and get the Pearls of the Czech New Wave eclipse set. It's got Daisies, The Joke, and Capricious Summer, three of the best films Criterion ever released.

Thanks, I'll have to look into getting that, all three of those sound right up my alley.

Any reason I shouldn't pick up the Three Colors trilogy? I've only seen the first half of Blue, but I loved everything about it.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I picked up "A Hard Days Night" and watched it for the first time today. I've only seen countless clips in the past but somehow never caught the whole movie. It was fun and the B&W was very skillfully used. In some scenes the film grain absolutely sparkled, something I've only seen before on a few films on the big screen. I can see how some people might be distracted by it, or think it is a flaw, but as a film photographer, I love it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

RustedChrome posted:

I picked up "A Hard Days Night" and watched it for the first time today. I've only seen countless clips in the past but somehow never caught the whole movie. It was fun and the B&W was very skillfully used. In some scenes the film grain absolutely sparkled, something I've only seen before on a few films on the big screen. I can see how some people might be distracted by it, or think it is a flaw, but as a film photographer, I love it.

I've always liked how it balances the look of a "on the fly" documentary and a planned shoot. The lighting is so perfect, but movement and framing could easily be from what a camera operator would do when shooting something live.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I picked up A Hard Day's Night and Foreign Correspondent.

Really looking forward to seeing Foreign Correspondent. It's on the short list of Hitchcock films I haven't yet seen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Props to everyone who recommended The Night Of The Hunter to me. This is superb. Robert Mitchum is incredibly menacing.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just got a B&N 15% Off Single Item coupon in my email, anyone know if it'll work with the Criterion sale? I was gonna skip this time around, but if I can get 50 + 10 + 15% off I can't pass that up.

Edit: It does (at least online)! Now, what to get...

Toebone fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 2, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Toebone posted:

I just got a B&N 15% Off Single Item coupon in my email, anyone know if it'll work with the Criterion sale? I was gonna skip this time around, but if I can get 50 + 10 + 15% off I can't pass that up.

The terms state that it can't be combined with any promotional discounts so probably not.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

VoodooXT posted:

The terms state that it can't be combined with any promotional discounts so probably not.
V77UV8XLGE4JS worked for me. basically covered the tax for my Seven Samurai and L'eclisse order. (Add your most expensive disc first and add the code, then add whatever else you want to order.)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My haul was

A hard days night (it seems to be really hard to resist for everyone here its a nice big box for 20 bucks and it's the Beatles!)
Sansho the bailiff
The game
Harakiri

Any other recommendations? I'm still picking up scanners later. Also I didn't see videodrome. Any chance they might restock during the sale or will I just have to order it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

robix smash posted:

V77UV8XLGE4JS worked for me. basically covered the tax for my Seven Samurai and L'eclisse order. (Add your most expensive disc first and add the code, then add whatever else you want to order.)

I guess it's one code per person, as that one says it is already used. If anyone has one they are not going to use, I'll take it.