Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
for me it was batman forever. this loving game required you to use the grappling hook to get further in the first level, but required performing some arcane button combination like select+up. couldn't press them at the same time, either, it was on some kind of weird delay. i got the game from a garage sale without the instruction manual, and this was before the internet was really i thing so i basically never got to see more than the first 15 seconds of the game.

what games confused you with their wiles as a kid?

edit:whoa, i am a colossal moron. meant to post this in imp zone. do whatever you need to do with this, mods.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

That loving stupid bullshit in Space Quest IV where you have to run from Vohaul's grunts inside of the shopping mall and if you're playing on anything other than a machine made in the stoneage, the game moves too loving fast to navigate the zero-g skating or whatever the gently caress it was.

I love the Space Quest games but gently caress that poo poo forever.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The barrel thing in the carnival level in sonic 3

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

In Mortal Kombat (2011) I can't get past the fight as Scorpion against Sektor and Cyrax. They just keep tagging back and forth and teleporting too quickly and I keep dying.

And I never finished Trine because of that last level where the lava is rising after you and you have to stay ahead of it.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Gone Home. All of it.

No, seriously though, I feel like I either didn't ever really get Magicka or that the design and execution were really bad (probably the latter?). There were so many points in that game where I just had to brute force fights by cheesing the entire fight, lest I die to some simple combos. Is there an actual fun way to play that game single player, or is it really designed to be played as multi?

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I will say that I'm pretty sure when I played Super Metroid I never fell prey to the infamous Noob Bridge (bridge leading to red brinstar you had to dash across) or the dreaded Noob Tube (glass tube leading to maridia you need to power bomb) as a child. Watching the attract mode definitely helped with that though.

Never managed to see the end of Great Cave Offensive in Kirby Super Star, though.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 2, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zurreco posted:

No, seriously though, I feel like I either didn't ever really get Magicka or that the design and execution were really bad (probably the latter?). There were so many points in that game where I just had to brute force fights by cheesing the entire fight, lest I die to some simple combos. Is there an actual fun way to play that game single player, or is it really designed to be played as multi?

It's essentially unplayable single-player and that's wholly intentional.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Awesome Welles posted:

That loving stupid bullshit in Space Quest IV where you have to run from Vohaul's grunts inside of the shopping mall and if you're playing on anything other than a machine made in the stoneage, the game moves too loving fast to navigate the zero-g skating or whatever the gently caress it was.

I think every game under that engine had the same problem. I had to use a 486 I'd loaned to my roommate to finish QFG 3 and 4 because of it. Sierra re-released all of their games during the Pentium 2 era, but nobody bothered to fix the drat things so that they'd run properly.

For me, it was Ultima 5. Late game, there's a puzzle where you have to play a short piece of music written in the manual, with different notes assigned to different keys on the number row. For the life of me, it was two years before I figured it out-- and even then, it hit me while I was on holidays. Worst thing was, there was a music instructor in the game who would walk you through it... but there was no way to break out of conversation with him if you were a dumb and frustrated fourteen year old.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

Introducing a new mechanic without explaining a single bit of it is completely insane to me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sonic 3 bullshit carnival level spin platform things.

Edit: While I knew I wasn't the only one I am disappointed I wasn't the first to complain about it in this thread. So fine I'll add Sonic 2 (I think) for the game gear and it's hang glider mechanics. Witcher 2 hey guys you know how you developed your character and grew attached to his skills? Well gently caress you enjoy this forced sequence with dodgeless terrible soldier.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 2, 2014

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
There's a part in Another World where you enter and one of the guards starts shooting at you rather quickly and I could not figure out the proper sequence of shielding/shooting or just dashing in to get past him. I even looked it up in a guide and still couldn't figure it out. Need to go back to that one.

More recently, this loving Moai head puzzle in Pushmo. Maybe the week or so since I've looked at it is enough time to go back with a fresh set of eyes.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
I 'completed' this game and thought it was pretty awesome, but couldn't understand why I finished with only 57% completion. Then after watching some long play video online I realised you had to do some stupid bullshit like finding some special armour and abilities that allow you to search for two god drat rings, wearing them in a room, getting a pair of dumb holy glasses, then fighting the 'final' boss but not killing him, but a retarded bubble above him before being sent to the second half of the game and finishing the castle upside down.

It was an excellent game, but how was anyone meant to know all that crap?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Starfox Adventures had this bullshit Test of Fear or something where you had to mash A to keep a cursor within a rapidly shrinking space and if you failed Fox gave you this gormless look of terror and you had to try again and fuuuuuuuck that.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

The part in Dead space where you had to jump onto a spinning ball to place beacons.

Up til that point I was having fun and that puzzle was such a miserable experience that I just stopped playing. Finding out the solution later was just infuriating, because there was no hint that doing such a thing wouldn't result in death. You just felt like your timing was off and that if you tried again you might get it.

After reloading the area, fighting all the mobs and then picking the right point to jump.

I'm angry right now just thinking about it.

xutech fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 2, 2014

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The beginning of young merlin, since for some reason my copy wouldn't let me attack that loving rear end in a top hat tree.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never beat Ocarina of Time because, playing it as a kid, I'm pretty sure I got trapped in the Water Temple without keys. At the time, my brother and I figured it was some kind of bug after we spent weeks exploring the Water Temple and trying to find a way to progress. I've been told by some people that it wasn't a bug and that I could have found another key, but I've heard from other people that there actually is a bug can cause you to run out of keys in the Water Temple. I've never been able to find confirmation either way, and I'll never beat the game because I'm bad about replaying games I made it halfway through and then stopped/lost my save.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The old Super NES game Goof Troop, at the last puzzle before the final boss.

This was a sliding block puzzle, where two of the blocks had to rest on top of the star tiles at the top of screen. Kicking the blocks would slide them ahead until they hit a wall or another block. I couldn't figure it out twenty years ago when I rented it. After playing it again a year ago, I still couldn't figure out how to do this without a guide. :sweatdrop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

Space Quest III

That mother loving chicken game. I wouldn't even be able to count the number of times I replayed that game up until that point, but I never played the chicken game long enough for the message. Years later I read a walk through and went back and beat that bitch though.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Tomb of the Unknown King in Final Fantasy 8 :argh:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Angelwolf posted:

I 'completed' this game and thought it was pretty awesome, but couldn't understand why I finished with only 57% completion. Then after watching some long play video online I realised you had to do some stupid bullshit like finding some special armour and abilities that allow you to search for two god drat rings, wearing them in a room, getting a pair of dumb holy glasses, then fighting the 'final' boss but not killing him, but a retarded bubble above him before being sent to the second half of the game and finishing the castle upside down.

I found it simply by exploring. I never knew there was a whole second castle after killing Richter, but I did know there was a lot of unexplored space on the map. So I just went around looking for new weapons and secrets, stumbled upon the goodies I needed to unlock the second half of the game and worked it out from there. Genuine question, was it really that hard for people to work out, or did I just get really lucky?

On the other hand, it took me a while to realise the save points also restored your health, so maybe I'm not as smart as I think.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AHungryRobot posted:

for me it was batman forever. this loving game required you to use the grappling hook to get further in the first level, but required performing some arcane button combination like select+up. couldn't press them at the same time, either, it was on some kind of weird delay. i got the game from a garage sale without the instruction manual, and this was before the internet was really i thing so i basically never got to see more than the first 15 seconds of the game.

what games confused you with their wiles as a kid?

edit:whoa, i am a colossal moron. meant to post this in imp zone. do whatever you need to do with this, mods.

Was that a Game Boy game?

I was in a similar situation, I somehow got my hands on some Game Boy batman game as a kid and I just could not figure how to get out of the first room in the game. I did have the instruction manual, and it was useless.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Angelwolf posted:

The way I saw it was that after clearing out the castle and getting close to 100% I saw all these empty slots in the Relics section and thought that can't be right, and then puzzled out those two useless rings that didn't do anything and then hey got some glasses that suddenly lets you go through that boss fight and then, whoa. Oh poo poo. Oh shiiiit.

Red Red Blue posted:

Hahaha, I remember that drat thing, I can totally see how it would stonewall people since it's not immediately obvious what you need to do there.

Also speaking of Super Metroid one place that I got stuck on was that tunnel where they're trying to 'teach' you how to walljump. I could not figure it out for the life of me at the time and had already used the save spot so it came down to doing a hell of a lot of bomb jumping.

Eventually, I got the timing down and hoo boy I'm glad I did because the walljump makes it into an entirely different game.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've got a different Sonic sticking point: the Mega Mack section in Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone Act 2. An area with some reputation.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Baldur's Gate loving II ToB

By the time I got to Melissan I just didn't have a way to deal with those razorblade shades that drain your levels. Minsc wasn't tank enough to take them out, my magic users couldn't range them. I pretty much just gave the gently caress up

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I ended up mail ordering the Nintendo Power Guide to Ocarina Of Time for the dumbest thing, I could make it through the game up until the very end of the Forest Temple, but I couldn't figure out that you had to push the little tabs in the basement to make the walls rotate.

Ironically, I figured it out not 20 minutes after ordering the guide. But hey, I probably would have needed it for the rest of the game anyway.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Paul.Power posted:

I've got a different Sonic sticking point: the Mega Mack section in Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone Act 2. An area with some reputation.

I hate Sonic and I still want that shirt

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
The first time I rented FF3/6 I couldn't figure out how to input sabin's blitz so I spent 3/5 days dying to the easiest boss ever. It put me off FF3/6 until the PS remake came out.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
The worst thing about the Sonic 3 Barrels wasn't that it didn't tell you what to do, but that presents the player with an -almost- achievable (but not quite) incorrect solution

You could just *almost* get past the section by jumping to move the barrels, and the indented solution of pressing up and down doesn't even have a noticeable effect for a moment when you try that.

Ultimately , it won't take you that long to figure it out, but it's a pretty funny bit of design

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
In Alone in the Dark, I think I gave up at the Gargoyle guarding the staircase.

That's basically the start of the game and I couldn't figure out what to do.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

For about six months I was stuck on the Pecos River Bridge mission of Interstate 76. I didn't know there was an alternate path down to the canyon floor and kept trying to either ramp the broken bridge all the way across the Pecos River or else jump it to another plateau in the river bed. Wow did I feel dumb when I realized there was a dirt road and everything going down to that canyon floor.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
In Darksiders in the portal gun dungeon. There's on room that's super tall with rotating platforms that you're supposed to teleport onto. I just could not figure that poo poo out for the life of me. I wasn't having that much fun with the game anyways though so I decided to just cut my losses.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I found it simply by exploring. I never knew there was a whole second castle after killing Richter, but I did know there was a lot of unexplored space on the map. So I just went around looking for new weapons and secrets, stumbled upon the goodies I needed to unlock the second half of the game and worked it out from there. Genuine question, was it really that hard for people to work out, or did I just get really lucky?

On the other hand, it took me a while to realise the save points also restored your health, so maybe I'm not as smart as I think.

I did the while thing like you but killed the orb on accident mostly with the help of skull familiar.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
What must have been near the end of Final Fantasy Seven when Sephiroth casts supernova and blows up the solar system and wipes my save game

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I got stuck on this one boss in this GBC Quest for Camelot game. It was really lovely because the save locks you into the fight with nowhere else to go and it was too hard and I eventually corrupted my save when I went swimming with the cartridge in my pocket and oh well.

It was a mediocre Zelda ripoff.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yechezkel posted:

The old Super NES game Goof Troop, at the last puzzle before the final boss.

This was a sliding block puzzle, where two of the blocks had to rest on top of the star tiles at the top of screen. Kicking the blocks would slide them ahead until they hit a wall or another block. I couldn't figure it out twenty years ago when I rented it. After playing it again a year ago, I still couldn't figure out how to do this without a guide. :sweatdrop:

Holy crap, I had almost forgot about this game. It gave me so much trouble as a child.

I also never finished B.O.B. I'll never get to know if he finally got on his date with his girlfriend.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I couldn't beat the final boss in Mortal Kombat (9, the new one) because he is a cheating rear end in a top hat and I hate playing as Raiden. I spent like 4 hours on it and gave up because I didn't care about seeing the ending anymore. And then I cried for a while because I'm a wimpy little baby.

I never got very far in Little Nemo for the NES because the levels were weird and scary and I was four years old so I wanted to go listen to read-along books instead.

There's been tons and tons of adventure games where I couldn't figure out on my own how to progress. I usually try to give it like 24 hours, come back to it, and try to figure it out again. But sometimes the solutions are just dumb. I don't remember the particular puzzle but there was a weird thing in the PS2 Monkey Island game that had me stuck for a week. I gave up on the game until a friend showed me a guide he had in a gaming magazine a few months later.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Streets of Rage 3. Drag myself barely alive past Robo-X only to get to a park with incredibly lethal rope traps, those rear end in a top hat ninjas and three nearly unhittable jetpack men as a boss fight. Kid-me set down the controller and conceded defeat there.

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
The blast pit level in Half-life (the one with the giant tentacle under the rocket engine): I spent several evenings trying to figure out how to turn on the fuel and oxygen, before finally giving up and jumping to my death in a giant fan before quitting. Except that instead of getting chopped up by the fan blades, I got blown up to an air duct in the ceiling that allowed me to progress. So, I only figured it out by trying to give up!

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
The cage in Out of this World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Two puzzles in particular that I remember stumping me as a kid:

Alundra had a series of 'ice pillar' rooms, where you had to slide the pillars around to place them on a switch to open up the next room. It starts you off with some basic ones, but the later ones are just ridiculous and convoluted, which was surprising because I remember it being one of the earlier dungeons in the game. I never got to beat that game because I couldn't solve that puzzle. I remember revisiting the game in my older years and being able to solve it after much trial and error, but back then, jeez.

Lufia 2 had a series of colored block puzzles: if you put a yellow block between two red blocks, the blocks in-between would change to red, and vice-versa. The last puzzle always stumped me, as I felt like I had the solution, but wasn't able to do it because I couldn't place the block in the final position as it was impossible to position the hero correctly without walking. Turns out that I did have the right idea, but I didn't realize that I could turn the character in place by holding the shoulder button and then pressing a direction. Without knowing this, the puzzle was impossible as the final move required turning in place (and this technique was never used before or after this puzzle).

It gives me some pleasure that doing a simple google search for "alundra ice pillar puzzle" and "lufia 2 color block puzzle" brings up results like "one of the hardest puzzles in existence" and "puzzles from hell".

• Locked thread