Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Still fits with my "Search for Spock" spoof idea - especially if Slater can do a good Christopher Lloyd impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

1st AD posted:

and I'm not sure you can place that all on a dwindling budget but rather an exodus of talent.
You can. Every minute spent lighting and setting up a shot is time you're paying everybody to stand around while the DP, gaffer, and grips painstakingly set up lights and change lenses and set up dollys and jibs and such. That's a lot of money being spent to get one shot of a guy who's just standing around talking. Television-style shooting was invented because it was cheap. It's not used to be lazy. It's used to save time, which as has been established, is money.

And like I said, everybody gets a raise every year no matter what, and the budget stays roughly the same, so that money increasingly gets funneled away from production and into talent and crew.

Literally every shoot I've ever been on where the DP and director looked at a TV shot, they were more unhappy about it than you were, but there was an AD and a production manager looking at their watches and freaking out.

It's always funny watching gag reels for me now, because I know that the moment the shot is cut, there's an AD yelling "BACK TO ONE! BACK TO ONE!" and looking at his watch and sighing.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Majorian posted:

It is, and you're a retard if you think otherwise.

Could you give an example of how season 5 suffered from this lack of freedom, or of Dan Harmon talking about it? Because all I heard about season 5 was that they largely left the writers alone and that they had more freedom than ever before. I can't remember what episode it was, but he also talked about it on Harmontown. Here's the only quote about it I could find on a quick search:

quote:

“At least with Season 5 of ‘Community,’ it’s really just me and Chris McKenna with a lower budget, less time and a lot of really passionate green writers trying to do the best season of the five, left to our own devices with no more risk of anyone calling it mismanagement,” Harmon told TheWrap while promoting his animated Adult Swim show, “Rick and Morty.”

It seems reasonable to say that, even back in season 1-3, Community had more creative freedom than any other network comedy in recent years. It started out as a pretty straightforward sitcom about a study group in a community college. But they let Dan Harmon do movie parodies, "war" episodes, ABED, my dinner with Andre, multiple animated episodes, fake clipshows, emperor Chang etc.

I think that if there's a lack of freedom at this point, it's self-imposed by Dan Harmon (because he doesn't want to offend the fans and thinks that people expect certain things from a season of Community), and/or due to the small budget, time constraints and the problems they had finding experienced writers.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I hope the season continues the downward curve of production value and it's just Joel and the gang in their basement being filmed with cellphone cameras.

Season 6 should conclude everything, and then make the movie be a fictionalized retelling of all the behind the scenes Community drama. But they should do the behind the scenes the way Children's Hospital does their behind the scenes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Argue posted:

Season 6 should conclude everything, and then make the movie be a fictionalized retelling of all the behind the scenes Community drama. But they should do the behind the scenes the way Children's Hospital does their behind the scenes.

They could save a ton of money by just employing Joel and Allison. The rest of the characters could just be cardboard cut outs on roller skates that they pull into and out of the frame with word bubbles above their head. Shirley's can just say "Oh my", Abeds would just be a link to a TV Tropes page (it could actually function as a link in Yahoo's player), and Britta's would just be blank because they have no idea where to take her character.

The actual episodes would just be Jeff and Annie sitting across from a table making googly-eyes at each other for twenty minutes in silence. A guest star would shuffle in the frameat 11 minutes, tell a joke, and then leave.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I think everyone is forgetting how solid the set design crew is for this show. Week by week, they provide detailed, vibrant sets that try to capture the insanity that is Greendale.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ETB posted:

I think everyone is forgetting how solid the set design crew is for this show. Week by week, they provide detailed, vibrant sets that try to capture the insanity that is Greendale.
For real. I really don't get why everyone's currently making GBS threads over the production of Community now. I thought Geothermal Escapism and the rear end Crack Bandit ep were extremely well-done from a production standpoint and looked great. Even the meow meow beans episode had some great set redressing despite a limited budget. :confused:

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They could save a ton of money by just employing Joel and Allison. The rest of the characters could just be cardboard cut outs on roller skates that they pull into and out of the frame with word bubbles above their head. Shirley's can just say "Oh my", Abeds would just be a link to a TV Tropes page (it could actually function as a link in Yahoo's player), and Britta's would just be blank because they have no idea where to take her character.

The actual episodes would just be Jeff and Annie sitting across from a table making googly-eyes at each other for twenty minutes in silence. A guest star would shuffle in the frameat 11 minutes, tell a joke, and then leave.

At last a vision for the show that speaks to me!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/qantas-airbus-a380-turns-back-los-angeles-after-water-leak-n146246

God tried to kill Yvette Nicole Brown by filling her plane with water over the Pacific.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Zero One posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/qantas-airbus-a380-turns-back-los-angeles-after-water-leak-n146246

God tried to kill Yvette Nicole Brown by filling her plane with water over the Pacific.

Oh my.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought she was always saying "Oh Nice"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

I thought she was always saying "Oh Nice"

You are 95% correct. She actually says "that's nice". Let me reimagine my vision.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jerk McJerkface posted:

They could save a ton of money by just employing Joel and Allison. The rest of the characters could just be cardboard cut outs on roller skates that they pull into and out of the frame with word bubbles above their head. Shirley's can just say "That's nice", Abeds would just be a link to a TV Tropes page (it could actually function as a link in Yahoo's player), and Britta's would just be blank because they have no idea where to take her character.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Sakarja posted:

Could you give an example of how season 5 suffered from this lack of freedom, or of Dan Harmon talking about it? Because all I heard about season 5 was that they largely left the writers alone and that they had more freedom than ever before. I can't remember what episode it was, but he also talked about it on Harmontown. Here's the only quote about it I could find on a quick search:

It seems reasonable to say that, even back in season 1-3, Community had more creative freedom than any other network comedy in recent years. It started out as a pretty straightforward sitcom about a study group in a community college. But they let Dan Harmon do movie parodies, "war" episodes, ABED, my dinner with Andre, multiple animated episodes, fake clipshows, emperor Chang etc.

I think that if there's a lack of freedom at this point, it's self-imposed by Dan Harmon (because he doesn't want to offend the fans and thinks that people expect certain things from a season of Community), and/or due to the small budget, time constraints and the problems they had finding experienced writers.

Well, here's the thing, though - Harmon already had an adversarial relationship with NBC, and now he had a lower budget than ever, less time to work, and the Sword of Damocles (ie: NBC execs licking their chops to cut the show) hanging over it all. Sure, in some senses he had more creative freedom in season 5 than he had had before, but he also had the huge constraint of knowing that if he didn't completely knock it out of the park, they would be canceled. Simply succeeding at getting some ratings wasn't going to be enough to save the show. To me, knowing that the network really, really wants you to fail doesn't strike me as creative freedom at all.

More to the point, though, the reason why I said that was in response to Irish Joe's dumb notion that "poor characterization, an over-reliance on lovely gimmicks and retreading popular episodes from the show's prime" were what caused season 5 to be less than perfect.

e:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

and Britta's would just be blank because they have no idea where to take her character.

You take that back, McJerkface. Britta is the best character.:colbert:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 2, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

:goonsay:
I think there are two words that shouldn't be a part of that sentence, and both of them start with a 'B'.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

umalt posted:

I think there are two words that shouldn't be a part of that sentence, and both of them start with a 'B'.
"You take that. McJerkface is the best character."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

umalt posted:

God will forgive you of your errors; history will not. Britta is hilarious (mostly because she's bad at everything she does, but that's funny).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

"You take that. McJerkface is the best character."

i've had quite the character in my arc in my ten year run on the Something Awful Forums show.

However Britta may have been interesting in Season 1-3, just like Shirley, they had no idea what to do with her. More times than once, she uses the term "therapized" unironically. Seriously?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

umalt posted:

Pick one:

You take that back, McJerkface. Britta is the character.:colbert:

You take that back, McJerkface is the best character.:colbert:

You take that, McJerkface. Britta is the best character.:colbert:

Did I miss any?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

i've had quite the character in my arc in my ten year run on the Something Awful Forums show.

However Britta may have been interesting in Season 1-3, just like Shirley, they had no idea what to do with her. More times than once, she uses the term "therapized" unironically. Seriously?

What was the problem with her in season 5? Obviously she didn't work in season 4, but that's another problem altogether.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still disappointed there wasn't never a scene where Britta gave Abed the Voigt-Kampf test.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm still disappointed there wasn't never a scene where Britta gave Abed the Voigt-Kampf test.

Well, now there just might be! One can hope!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

What was the problem with her in season 5? Obviously she didn't work in season 4, but that's another problem altogether.

She starts off as being a foil for Jeff. He's super suave and cool, but ultimately empty. She's committed, caring, and even with nothing she's happy and fulfilled. Ignoring season 4, where they have her date Troy which goes nowhere, by Season 5 it turns out that she's just a complete idiot failure and the joke is that she's not good at anything, and Jeff is awesome. Jeff gets an arc that sort of ends with him better off and growing (although they keep reverting him so they can keep maturing him) Britta just drops of a cliff to retardation.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

She starts off as being a foil for Jeff. He's super suave and cool, but ultimately empty. She's committed, caring, and even with nothing she's happy and fulfilled. Ignoring season 4, where they have her date Troy which goes nowhere, by Season 5 it turns out that she's just a complete idiot failure and the joke is that she's not good at anything, and Jeff is awesome. Jeff gets an arc that sort of ends with him better off and growing (although they keep reverting him so they can keep maturing him) Britta just drops of a cliff to retardation.

I don't know about that - she still seems to be caring and have a good heart and all that in season 5. I don't think they necessarily made the best use of her, but I also think she had some good moments.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think anything is true of Britta now that wasn't true in Season 3. I love Season 3 Britta, though. Saying she's just now getting too stupid is strange.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Majorian posted:

I don't know about that - she still seems to be caring and have a good heart and all that in season 5. I don't think they necessarily made the best use of her, but I also think she had some good moments.

Yeah, she had some funny jokes, but at the outset her intention was to be the heart of group, like the moral conscience. That's pretty obvious, and she would sort of help to redeem Jeff because to love her would mean he'd have to become a better guy. Of course, instead he just wants to get with Annie, but won't admit it to himself because that'd make him a weirdo, and they write themselves into a corner. It leaves Britta with no where to go, since she's not the heart of the group and instead becomes the whipping boy.

EDIT: I'm not like :argh: my show about this, but I think that Community as a show had a good run, and like most sitcoms the characters run out of steam and places to go and it requires an incredible amount of skill to keep them interesting and going on anything other than inertia. I enjoyed all the seasons, intact I like season 4 quite a bit, but if Dan wants to move on and tell a different story, I'm happy that we got what we did. I just hope we don't end up with AD, where the new season is just a bizarre living dead version of the show. It's a result of the characters being 8 years older and busy, so if they get the Community people asap like they are, it'll be different.

Also, the complaints on Britta can easily be applied to Shirley. In season five she does almost nothing. I really think they were planning on getting rid of her, but when Don left they had to change their plans. I'd like to see a writer team really try with her a little and expand her a little this season, but likely it'll focus on Jeff and Annie.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 2, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Pick one:

You take that back, McJerkface is the best character.:colbert:

You take that, McJerkface. Britta is the best character.:colbert:

Did I miss any?

This one. :thumbsup:

In earnest, I was only being facetious, I just assumed that the :goonsay: would get it across.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Britta may be a GDB, but she's OUR GDB

And not a C.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, has anyone addressed this already? Harmon's public statement as reported in all the articles is kinda weird, right?

quote:

"I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online," Harmon told Yahoo. "I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!"

If I were _basically_ a psychologist, like Britta, I might say "Dan, you sound like you might be sarcastic there. How does going online-only make you feel?"

I really hope Harmon doesn't blow this by being bitter and insecure/egotistical about it. I was someone who loved seasons 1-3, found 5 interesting but not lovable, and was really ready for the show to end when it finally did--but now that it's not, I want a *good* season 6. And with so much discontinuity in the cast/show/etc, I'm just not optimistic about that.

But, you know. I'll still watch it. And it's pretty cool that Yahoo believed in the show enough to do this.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

onefish posted:

I really hope Harmon doesn't blow this by being bitter and insecure/egotistical about it.

My gut reaction to the renewal is similar to yours. This is clearly a bad idea and you'd expect everyone on the cast (and Harmon) would be eager to move on to bigger and better projects. But then you hear about how instrumental Harmon and McHale were in the show's renewal and wonder, "what are they getting out of it?" Are they really in love with the show? Do they think its renewal--on Yahoo! of all places--will benefit their careers? Or is this simply a desperate move by two middle aged men who prefer stability and a known quantity over the development process?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

onefish posted:

Okay, has anyone addressed this already? Harmon's public statement as reported in all the articles is kinda weird, right?

If I were _basically_ a psychologist, like Britta, I might say "Dan, you sound like you might be sarcastic there. How does going online-only make you feel?"

I really hope Harmon doesn't blow this by being bitter and insecure/egotistical about it. I was someone who loved seasons 1-3, found 5 interesting but not lovable, and was really ready for the show to end when it finally did--but now that it's not, I want a *good* season 6. And with so much discontinuity in the cast/show/etc, I'm just not optimistic about that.

But, you know. I'll still watch it. And it's pretty cool that Yahoo believed in the show enough to do this.

I don't know..... that sounds suspiciously like a "joke" or something. Not an expert here though.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
It's as if Dan Harmon is some sort of...comedian and is using the juxtaposition of TV versus online streaming for comedic effect or something.

But I don't have a PDH in comedy or anything, I just like when Kevin James falls down...

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Did anyone see the Reading Rainbow kickstarter livestream with Donald Glover and Levar on the boat? I just found out about it right after the project ended, wish I could have seen, would have totally paid another :10bux: for a little more Troy / Levar magic.

Irish Joe posted:

lazy trolling
Yeah, I bet it's that they're desperate, because they have nothing else going for them, good work. You win yet another person adding you to their ignore list.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

FactsAreUseless posted:

He'd just twist it around, and end up giving it to her.

"Britta, a tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?"

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

My gut reaction to the renewal is similar to yours. This is clearly a bad idea and you'd expect everyone on the cast (and Harmon) would be eager to move on to bigger and better projects. But then you hear about how instrumental Harmon and McHale were in the show's renewal and wonder, "what are they getting out of it?" Are they really in love with the show? Do they think its renewal--on Yahoo! of all places--will benefit their careers? Or is this simply a desperate move by two middle aged men who prefer stability and a known quantity over the development process?

This just in, "actors wanting to act, regardless of the rewards, is a bad idea", says Irish Joe, a man who clearly dosen't seem have passion for anything in his life.

Seriously dude, "what are they getting out of it?" I don't know. Maybe, getting to continue the work they enjoy doing, while being in an environment filled with people they enjoy working with? I don't think any of these actors are trying to become God damned Maryl Strep or anything. These people are comedy actors, and I think by getting to work on a show that has an established record of people calling "funny" is exactly the kind of career they're hoping to have.

You are really grasping here man, maybe you should take a break in the off-season and come back in the fall, fresh-faced and ready to troll anew.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Dan Harmon must really fear the development process to make Rick and Morty only a year ago.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

swickles posted:

Dan Harmon must really fear the development process to make Rick and Morty only a year ago.

That's why he's still working for The Sarah Silverman Project.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Here's one thing McHale said about the prospect of more Community, just before the Yahoo deal was announced:

quote:

"I think the show would be crazy and wonderful if it was unencumbered by commercial breaks or network sensitivities," McHale says. "It would be pretty wild."

I'm pretty sure they really are in love with the show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

thexerox123 posted:

Here's one thing McHale said about the prospect of more Community, just before the Yahoo deal was announced:

I'm pretty sure they really are in love with the show.

It's comments like that which gives me hope it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Irish Joe posted:

Is there anything or anyone related to Community you haven't projected with your personal emotional state?

• Locked thread