Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've never played demon souls, but that's probably good too

also the predecessor king's field series is good

FROM is really good at desgining games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Play demons souls as it is their best game. It is not a matter of which one you play first like people say as I played dark souls first

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
KF2(1 here in gaijinland) is amazing, 3 is a little weaker and 4 is probably the best although for some reason also the clunkiest and least accessible

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Play demons souls as it is their best game. It is not a matter of which one you play first like people say as I played dark souls first

i don't have a ps3, although i suppose i should

what makes it better?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I never beat shadow tower abyss here is a picture of me living in that shame :qq:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

sector_corrector posted:

i don't have a ps3, although i suppose i should

what makes it better?

Better atmosphere, best levels in the series, no lost izalith

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

KF2(1 here in gaijinland) is amazing, 3 is a little weaker and 4 is probably the best although for some reason also the clunkiest and least accessible

i really loved lost city (4?). i've never felt so immersed in a game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I enjoyed the old Armored Core on PSX and have felt solid about From since then

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Only played the Dark Soulses but I eagerly await future endeavors

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
same here

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
armored core owns. only new AC i played was for answer but i liked it enough to s-rank all the missions on hard. the last mission is a huge ballache when you're trying to do that though

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

I heard the new armo[u]red core is really good except that it really stresses a lot of online bullshit that probably isn't going to be supported that long since most people don't care about armo[u]red core.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You misspelled Dark Souls.

e: And I played Demon's Souls first.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wolfman Nards posted:

I heard the new armo[u]red core is really good except that it really stresses a lot of online bullshit that probably isn't going to be supported that long since most people don't care about armo[u]red core.

i've heard the same. i do appreciate the way that FROM approaches multiplayer, and doesn't treat it like two entirely separate modes of play. that's maybe my favorite thing about the *souls games.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Bloodborne looks amazing and I've probably seen less than a minute of game footage

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
this is my DS2 story: I had like 70 hours on my character, mad warriors set and a bunch of other cool poo poo, installed videodrivers that prevented booting, did a system 'refresh' which promised that all my files would remain intact, Sven is gone upon reboot.

I tried to make a new character but it just wasn't the same. :rip: Sven Sevensins.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Protagonist posted:

this is my DS2 story: I had like 70 hours on my character, mad warriors set and a bunch of other cool poo poo, installed videodrivers that prevented booting, did a system 'refresh' which promised that all my files would remain intact, Sven is gone upon reboot.

I tried to make a new character but it just wasn't the same. :rip: Sven Sevensins.

Symlink your save folders to the google drive

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

i started playing demon's souls because my roommate is crazy for the souls series and was constantly bugging me to play it. i beat the phalanx and then promptly stopped playing until i can build up the motivation to slam my head at a wall again.

it's a really fun, well-crafted game and honestly i wish the game didn't drain so much out of me so i could play it some more

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

DLTN posted:

i started playing demon's souls because my roommate is crazy for the souls series and was constantly bugging me to play it. i beat the phalanx and then promptly stopped playing until i can build up the motivation to slam my head at a wall again.

it's a really fun, well-crafted game and honestly i wish the game didn't drain so much out of me so i could play it some more

Cherish that first run, especially Tower of Latria. Savor it

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
dark souls is good until the princess' chamber, then there's a huge fuckup, and then it's good again against gwyn

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Fenrir posted:

You misspelled Dark Souls.

e: And I played Demon's Souls first.

I am glad that these games are so good that these are both very fine opinions :unsmith:

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Cherish that first run, especially Tower of Latria. Savor it

Oh god I had almost managed to forget the tower of latria.

Best part of Demons was that cool fight with the Sword that shot big aircutter things. And getting a mace early and murdering skeletons.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

legendsuper posted:

dark souls is good until the princess' chamber, then there's a huge fuckup, and then it's good again against gwyn

i sort of agree. if i can turn up my own a-hole, thematically it makes sense that all of the lord soul bosses are loving chumps. gwyn wanted to make sure you were strong enough to kindle the first flame, but doesn't particularly care otherwise. he gives you a challenge to test you, but also to draw you along. the chosen udead then kills him (which is what he wants - he wants escape) and takes his position.

it's a pretty beautiful design. it's esepicially beautiful that the last challenge in the game is anor londo (a living illusion), and once you beat that it's a cake walk (outside of PVP, which is another beautiful metaphor that I won't embarrass myself by explaining at length).

i love this game. i think it's the best designed digital game, maybe competing with portal 1 and 2 in a very distant second place.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I haven't played it for a week. For a reason.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

sector_corrector posted:

i sort of agree. if i can turn up my own a-hole, thematically it makes sense that all of the lord soul bosses are loving chumps. gwyn wanted to make sure you were strong enough to kindle the first flame, but doesn't particularly care otherwise. he gives you a challenge to test you, but also to draw you along. the chosen udead then kills him (which is what he wants - he wants escape) and takes his position.

it's a pretty beautiful design. it's esepicially beautiful that the last challenge in the game is anor londo (a living illusion), and once you beat that it's a cake walk (outside of PVP, which is another beautiful metaphor that I won't embarrass myself by explaining at length).

i love this game. i think it's the best designed digital game, maybe competing with portal 1 and 2 in a very distant second place.

i dunno, lotta people had trouble with tomb of the giants and bed of chaos can be a real pain in the rear end especially before you know how to beat her so i don't think it reads as intentional that the lord soul areas are "a cakewalk" - easier than O&S maybe but not a cakewalk

it's still a nice reading tho. differs from mine but that's the cool thing bout the game, it works really well as a text to interpret

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Hamlet posted:

i dunno, lotta people had trouble with tomb of the giants and bed of chaos can be a real pain in the rear end especially before you know how to beat her so i don't think it reads as intentional that the lord soul areas are "a cakewalk" - easier than O&S maybe but not a cakewalk

it's still a nice reading tho. differs from mine but that's the cool thing bout the game, it works really well as a text to interpret

fair point. boss difficulty is a subjective point that i have no business generalizing.

i would be interested to hear your interpretation, tho

imo the strength of the game, and why i also brought up the Portals, is the fact that it makes commentary directly on the act of playing a game.

think about what you are physically doing in dark souls. gwyn is the designer. he is challenging you to do an extremely challenging thing (the first time you complete player versus engine) so that you can then continue his legacy (player versus player).

similar to how GlaDOS taunts you about what you (the player) are physically doing within her arbitrary death dungeon.

the whole feeling (in both games, really) of the player fighting against a decaying world is great. it also totally destroys the masturbatory power fantasy you find in poo poo like oblivion.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

fair point. boss difficulty is a subjective point that i have no business generalizing.

i would be interested to hear your interpretation, tho

imo the strength of the game, and why i also brought up the Portals, is the fact that it makes commentary directly on the act of playing a game.

think about what you are physically doing in dark souls. gwyn is the designer. he is challenging you to do an extremely challenging thing (the first time you complete player versus engine) so that you can then continue his legacy (player versus player).

similar to how GlaDOS taunts you about what you (the player) are physically doing within her arbitrary death dungeon.

the whole feeling (in both games, really) of the player fighting against a decaying world is great. it also totally destroys the masturbatory power fantasy you find in poo poo like oblivion.

this is some heavy games.txt poo poo

From made some stuff that was p cool to american audiences, moreso than before, and they don't entirely understand why this was super successful given half a dozen prior earnest attempts

connecting DS1 with portal is some new :goonsay: territory though for real

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Protagonist posted:

this is some heavy games.txt poo poo

From made some stuff that was p cool to american audiences, moreso than before, and they don't entirely understand why this was super successful given half a dozen prior earnest attempts

connecting DS1 with portal is some new :goonsay: territory though for real

yeah?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

yeah

sector_corrector posted:

is sorta correct, except the barrier for entry is just a little bit higher but the power fantasy is still there

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
it does use some similar structural devices as portal in that both games explicitly acknowledge their game mechanics, with little to no abstraction, as parts of their universe. they both do it p differently and they aren't the only games to do it but hey maybe the real :goonsay: is to barge into a conversation you aren't interested in and go "uhhh, dumb"

i'll follow yr lead on not writing a big thing about my own read of the game but i guess the main point we don't see the same way is who's responsible for the scenario you play through. it's totally valid to put that on gwyn but i see it as (partially) gwyndolyn. some item description somewhere mentions that he was left to "shepard the humans," and after gwyn linked the fire there must have been at least some time during which things were relatively normal, and i figure it's during that stretch of time that much of the decay you witness must have taken place, and probably that's when the scheme with the serpents and the big gwynevere illusion was hatched. it also seemed like gwyn was cool, at least at first, with the humans having a cool cultural city like new londo while gwyndolin saw fit to exercize his father's more paranoid latter day policies as represented by the military ghetto of the undead burg and the human garbage dump of blighttown

velka must also be a player - her whole motif is crows and it's a crow that plucks you from the asylum. i think she must be opposed to gwyndolyn

but figuring out all the details of what exactly went down is pretty boring if it doesn't actually mean anything, of course - i think the game is about the dynamics of power. it was snatched from the eternal dragons only for the gods to find that they had no hope of managing it all, and so the game portrays lots of gross power imbalance, represented especially by your being a member of a kind of untouchable class.

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 2, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Protagonist posted:

is sorta correct, except the barrier for entry is just a little bit higher but the power fantasy is still there

ok, i agree with that specifically. the idea of the the barrier to entry to the power fantasy is pretty on point.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Hamlet posted:

it does use some similar structural devices as portal in that both games explicitly acknowledge their game mechanics, with little to no abstraction, as parts of their universe. they both do it p differently and they aren't the only games to do it but hey maybe the real :goonsay: is to barge into a conversation you aren't interested in and go "uhhh, dumb"

i'll follow yr lead on not writing a big thing about my own read of the game but i guess the main point we don't see the same way is who's responsible for the scenario you play through. it's totally valid to put that on gwyn but i see it as (partially) gwyndolyn. some item description somewhere mentions that he was left to "shepard the humans," and after gwyn linked the fire there must have been at least some time during which things were relatively normal, and i figure it's during that stretch of time that much of the decay you witness must have taken place, and probably that's when the scheme with the serpents and the big gwynevere illusion was hatched. it also seemed like gwyn was cool, at least at first, with the humans having a cool cultural city like new londo while gwyndolin saw fit to exercize his father's more paranoid latter day policies as represented by the military ghetto of the undead burg and the human garbage dump of blighttown

velka must also be a player - her whole motif is crows and it's a crow that plucks you from the asylum. i think she must be opposed to gwyndolyn

but figuring out all the details of what exactly went down is pretty boring if it doesn't actually mean anything, of course - i think the game is about the dynamics of power. it was snatched from the eternal dragons only for the gods to find that they had no hope of managing it all, and so the game portrays lots of gross power imbalance, represented especially by your being a member of a kind of untouchable class.

that's two good points. sort of backed up by gwyn being a hollow when you face him, which probably indicates he hasn't made any conscious decision in a very long while and has in fact given up on his single guiding force, like the crestfallen warrior or siegfried.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the real power of the dark souls series is that its like a dali painting, being like a dream it's deliberately obtuse and you can read into it as much meaning and interpretation as you care to

not to detract from from readings/interpretations as they've been pretty interesting, but i'll be damned if From intended much of it from the getgo

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

sector_corrector posted:

that's two good points. sort of backed up by gwyn being a hollow when you face him, which probably indicates he hasn't made any conscious decision in a very long while and has in fact given up on his single guiding force, like the crestfallen warrior or siegfried.

gywn's intentions during the final boss fights are one of those things which seem intended to be a garden of forking paths. if a player never discovers anything kaathe says, and never finds out that gwynevere is an illusion, maybe none of it was lies and maybe gwyn is just crazy or trying to make sure you're a worthy successor. but if you're aligned with the darkwraiths and intend to snuff out the fire, maybe he sees himself as righteously trying to defend what's left of the flame from you.

in some cut content, oscar, the knight from the beginning, was going to play a larger recurring role, and he'd always fall in with the opposite serpent you did. that reinforces that a labyrinthine, atemporal and multidetermined plot was part of the idea

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

The Protagonist posted:

the real power of the dark souls series is that its like a dali painting, being like a dream it's deliberately obtuse and you can read into it as much meaning and interpretation as you care to

not to detract from from readings/interpretations as they've been pretty interesting, but i'll be damned if From intended much of it from the getgo

the lead designer said one time that his inspiration for the "feeling" of the game was that of reading western fantasy books when he was a kid who barely spoke english - he'd get the general shape of things but the details were ambiguous. i'd say he had intentions beyond simply badass dungeon crawling and gothic horror

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 2, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Protagonist posted:

yeah, that's valid, although i would say it's valid about anything made by one human and interpreted by another.

i do disagree though. especially since Dali was a painter who was painting for other painters as much as he was some dude looking at his canvases saying "nice clocks" 40 years later.

i'm actually pretty loving hard against misinterpretations of barthes' death of the author tract, but i do think that the audience is free to interpret poo poo that they experience, even if it's a frivolous videojuego electronica

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Space Hamlet posted:

gywn's intentions during the final boss fights are one of those things which seem intended to be a garden of forking paths. if a player never discovers anything kaathe says, and never finds out that gwynevere is an illusion, maybe none of it was lies and maybe gwyn is just crazy or trying to make sure you're a worthy successor. but if you're aligned with the darkwraiths and intend to snuff out the fire, maybe he sees himself as righteously trying to defend what's left of the flame from you.

in some cut content, oscar, the knight from the beginning, was going to play a larger recurring role, and he'd always fall in with the opposite serpent you did. that reinforces that a labyrinthine, atemporal and multidetermined plot was part of the idea

yeah, absolutely. i guess eventually solaire took on that role, and it seems hinted at in DS2 that he kindles the first flame even if you don't like some morrowind poo poo. it's a pretty lovely resolution to the problem that borges hints at in the garden of forking paths (the garden of loving paths) where choice obliviates any sort of coherence.

i feel like this sort of navel gazing is cool for the souls series, but gets real loving tedious after a while for the genre

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

well while we're naval gazing am i alone in thinking that The Pursuer is the pc from ds1? Kinda got the iconic armor from that game going on except with a shitload of embedded/bound souls, a varied arsenal hanging on his back, doesn't even bother to touch the ground because he's ascended, and he get around by Giant Crow.

just the impression i got when playing

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

sector_corrector posted:

yeah, absolutely. i guess eventually solaire took on that role, and it seems hinted at in DS2 that he kindles the first flame even if you don't like some morrowind poo poo. it's a pretty lovely resolution to the problem that borges hints at in the garden of forking paths (the garden of loving paths) where choice obliviates any sort of coherence.

i feel like this sort of navel gazing is cool for the souls series, but gets real loving tedious after a while for the genre

yea, miyazaki said that exactly what you say with solaire linking the flame is his interpretation - that if you beat gwyn with him, he goes on to link the flame in his own world. word of god!

dark souls 2 goes even further with presenting a truckload of completely contradictory possibilities, which i like about it in theory - it takes place in a world which has gotten too old, too tired to remain coherent - but it feels like they went that way less out of genuine authorial inspiration but more because it kind of fit and it would be easier

that game just doesn't show the same level of attention to detail as miyazaki's own games. what few item descriptions there are on the pursuer identifies his bird friend as a crow, and says that his intentions have to do with sin, which totally does seem to link him with velka and presents a number of interesting possibilities including that he may in fact be the chosen undead but

thing is a fuckin hawk

edit: btw, ive been really wanting to check out some king's field stuff. should i start out with 4? im also interested in shadow tower

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i could def see the pursuer being the the PC from DS1. arrogant as hell, wielding mathematically specific gear, doing the same 2 or 3 moves over and over expecting to win...

i mean, i guess one question is whether or not this sort of navel gazing, as i've called it masturbatorically, is even fun at a certain point. blood borne seems loving great, and i'm going to buy the PS4 to play it, but how much ground can you retread?

• Locked thread