Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Pilsner posted:

Is there a way to make FF antialias text? I have cleartype/antialiasing disabled on Windows because I think it looks awful. Chrome and IE have their own antialiasing.

It's becoming a greater annoyance as more and more websites use those google fonts that looks completely whack without antialiasing.
Because Firefox uses Direct2D to render text, if you have ClearType disabled Firefox will not be able to antialias text. If ClearType doesn't look good to you there is likely a problem with your monitor or its connection to your system. If you can't correct the issue with your monitor then you may be able to work around it using the ClearType Tuner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pilsner posted:

Is there a way to make FF antialias text? I have cleartype/antialiasing disabled on Windows because I think it looks awful. Chrome and IE have their own antialiasing.

It's becoming a greater annoyance as more and more websites use those google fonts that looks completely whack without antialiasing.

IE's antialiasing method is identical to system antialiasing, if you don't mind how it looks in IE I can't fathom why you have ClearType turned off. Chrome's method is also very close to standard ClearType.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nintendo Kid posted:

IE's antialiasing method is identical to system antialiasing, if you don't mind how it looks in IE I can't fathom why you have ClearType turned off. Chrome's method is also very close to standard ClearType.

No it isn't at least not on Windows 8.

On 8 and beyond IE uses a greyscale only smoother not proper ClearType. This makes IE eye-bleeding bad on lowish DPI monitors - completely unusable for anything with small text.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

IE's anti-aliasing is hilariously awful, and the font they use for the default msn homepage is a thin sans serif that looks like a hot blurry mess.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

dissss posted:

No it isn't at least not on Windows 8.

On 8 and beyond IE uses a greyscale only smoother not proper ClearType. This makes IE eye-bleeding bad on lowish DPI monitors - completely unusable for anything with small text.

Windows 8 doesn't use subpixel antialiasing at all -- they couldn't figure out how to make it work when you rotate your tablet.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

pseudorandom name posted:

Windows 8 doesn't use subpixel antialiasing at all -- they couldn't figure out how to make it work when you rotate your tablet.

This is hilarious.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
On that topic does anyone know of an extension or something that just lets the user replace a font for all pages you open with Firefox? Like, always replace "Proxima Nova" with "Verdana" on every page you visit from now until the end of time.

I despise all font smoothing and the growth in popularity of fonts that don't render properly without it has just made me turn off websites' ability to use custom fonts. But that breaks formatting on many sites. I'd love to be able to just highlight a block of text and tell Firefox to always replace the font the selected text is using with a different one.

I've tried a couple plugins that said they could do this but they either didn't work at all or didn't remember the changes so you had to replace the font every time you load a page.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is hilarious.
To be fair, the point of subpixel antialiasing is that you get higher horizontal resolution, so that's meaningless if the tablet is rotated.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alereon posted:

To be fair, the point of subpixel antialiasing is that you get higher horizontal resolution, so that's meaningless if the tablet is rotated.

The hilarious part is that this is apparently the behavior on desktops as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

That isn't quite true either (at least on my laptop)
- IE content = greyscale
- IE toolbars/menus etc = subpixel smoothed
- All of metro = greyscale
- All of the desktop (Windows explorer etc) = subpixel
- Some parts of Office 2013 are greyscale, others old style subpixel ClearType

The overall effect is it looks like an inconsistent, broken, unfinished mess :/

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
On the other hand if you prefer to disable font smoothing Windows 8 is a nice improvement. In Windows 7 you could turn off font smoothing everywhere possible in the OS and still have smoothed fonts all over the place, unless you also turned on Windows Classic Mode(which breaks V-Sync on non-exclusive mode directX programs) or installed a series of hacks to something like 3 different windows .dlls and a bunch of registry tweaks.

On Windows 8 turning off "Smooth the edges of screen fonts" and Cleartype actually gets rid of font smoothing almost everywhere other then the Metro stuff.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Spek posted:

On Windows 8 turning off "Smooth the edges of screen fonts" and Cleartype actually gets rid of font smoothing almost everywhere other then the Metro stuff.

That isn't true either - IE still stubbornly uses greyscale only smoothing

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I can't seem to remove the UI element \"menubar-items\" (the File, Edit, View, etc. menu buttons) - I can manually remove it from prefs.js, but Firefox adds it back in on launch. I have the orange Firefox button that includes all the menus, so I don't need them duplicated and taking up space. I've tried Googling but it's turning up nothing but garbage results.

I have Classic Theme Restorer installed but after fiddling with it, nothing helps. Disabling CTR didn't seem to do anything useful. As far as I can tell, the only other add-on I have that messes with the UI is Status-4-Evar.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Right click on the tab bar and click "menu bar" to disable it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Read posted:

Right click on the tab bar and click "menu bar" to disable it.

That eliminates the entire bar, which has all my navigation buttons and such. Kinda forced into keeping it around because I'm using the 'no title bar' setting which merges the menu bar into the title bar.

I guess the answer is to find another add-on that lets me use a different bar in the title bar instead?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

isndl posted:

That eliminates the entire bar, which has all my navigation buttons and such. Kinda forced into keeping it around because I'm using the 'no title bar' setting which merges the menu bar into the title bar.

I guess the answer is to find another add-on that lets me use a different bar in the title bar instead?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, I'm using the no titlebar setting in Classic Theme Restorer as well and I have no menu bar but still have navigation buttons.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tabs on bottom are maybe the problem? Although setting it back to tabs on top in CTR doesn't seem to be having any effect, so maybe there's something broken in general. e: Nevermind, forgot that tabs on top/bottom are relative to the normal address bar location.

isndl fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 22, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is anyone one add-on the go to add-on for changing a site's CSS? Basically I want to completely redesign these forums for my own usage.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Dave posted:

Is anyone one add-on the go to add-on for changing a site's CSS? Basically I want to completely redesign these forums for my own usage.

Sounds like a job for Stylish.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use Stylish and that is what everyone else uses too I suppose.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sweet, thanks guys. Going to gently caress these forums up good!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

This is getting really addicting, wish I could do something to the image buttons but it looks like few have unique classes.

EDIT: I have the opacity down on avatars for work, but I can hover them to see 100%.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Dave posted:

This is getting really addicting, wish I could do something to the image buttons but it looks like few have unique classes.

EDIT: I have the opacity down on avatars for work, but I can hover them to see 100%.

I dunno how people use such bright white websites without hurting their eyes.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

The Dave posted:

code:
document.querySelectorAll("[href^=modalert]")
Repeat as necessary to target other buttons based on where they link to. http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#selectors is useful here.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Read posted:

100% of my stylish scripts are to make sites black, otherwise my eyes burn out.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

100% of my stylish scripts are to make sites black, otherwise my eyes burn out.

Read posted:

It's been pretty find at work where I use a monitor, I want to darken the bg now that I'm on my laptop. There's a good chance I end up just completely emulating the dark theme from the awful iOS app.

Tivac posted:

code:
document.querySelectorAll("[href^=modalert]")
Repeat as necessary to target other buttons based on where they link to. http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#selectors is useful here.

Awesome, wish I had more time tonight to work on this!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I find f.lux to be great too, though not when I'm doing work where I need accurate colours. Mostly I needed to turn my laptop brightness down, until I put a privacy screen on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
If you want a dark theme for SA:
code:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forums.somethingawful.com"),domain("forum.somethingawful.com") {

* { font-family: Helvetica !important; text-shadow: none !important; box-shadow: none !important;}
	code { font-family: Lucida Console !important; }	

#thread dl.userinfo dt.author {text-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgb(0, 0, 0) !important;}
	body {
		background-color: #000 !important;
		background: #000 !important;
		color: #ddd !important;
		}
			#thread td.postbody {
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-position: center top;
    font-size: 13px !important;
    padding: 0px 0px 0px 8px !important;
    line-height: 16px !important;
}
	td.title, td.icon, td.replies, td.rating, td.posts, td.banned, #pm td, .altcolor1 td, #main_full td, div.standard  {
		background-color: #323232 !important;
		border: 1px solid #434343 !important;
	}
.privmsg #thread table.post td.postbody, .privmsg #thread table.post td.postlinks {
    border: 1px solid rgb(170, 170, 170);
        background-color: rgb(23, 23, 23) !important;
}

ul.postbuttons {
    text-align: right;
    padding-right: 0px !important;
}
div.threadbar {
    padding: 3px 1px 0px 0px !important;
}
img.timg.complete {
    border: 1px solid rgb(176, 80, 66) !important;
    box-shadow: none !important;
    cursor: pointer;
}

#probation_warn {
    padding: 0.5em;
    color: rgb(51, 51, 51);
    margin: 1em 0px;
    border: none !important;
}
#probation_warn {
    background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(22, 14, 21) !important;
}

td.title div.title_inner {
    position: relative;
    padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px ;
    min-height: 10px !important;
}
#cpmain #forum td.author a, #cpmain #forum td.replies a, #cpmain #forum td.views, #cpmain #forum td.rating, #cpmain #forum td.lastpost {
    font-family: 'Arial',sans-serif;
    font-size: 11px !important;
    padding: 0px 3px;
}

#forum th, div.threadbar, div.forumbar, #forums th, #forums th a, #forums th a:visited, #pm th, #pm th a, #pm th a:visited, #pm th a:hover, #info th, #forum th a, #forum th a:visited, .standard h2, table.standard th, .standard h2 a, .standard h2 a:visited, .getinfo .standard th a, .getinfo .standard th a:visited, .gloryhole table.stats th {
    color: rgb(208, 226, 235);
    font-family: Arial;
    line-height: 18px !important;
    text-decoration: none;
    padding-left: 2px;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px rgb(51, 66, 74);
}

.bbc-spoiler, .bbc-spoiler li {
    background-color: #222 !important;
    color: #DDD !important;
    border-radius: 0px !important;
}
textarea {
    width: 100%;
    padding: 5px;
    background-color: #4A708B !important;
    border: none;
}

.bbc-spoiler img {
    visibility: visible !important;
}

td.title div.lastseen {
    margin: 0px;
    position: absolute;
    top: 3px !important;
    right: 0px !important;
     border: 1px solid rgb(168, 167, 167);
}

p.editedby span {
    color: #CCC !important;
}
#thread td.postlinks ul.postbuttons img {
}
#thread td.postdate, #thread td.postlinks {
    height: 18px !important;
    line-height: 18px !important;
    padding-bottom: 0px !important;
}
#thread td.postdate a.lastseen_icon {
    margin-top: 0px !important;
    margin-right: 3px;
    float: left;
}

#forums td.icon, #forum td.star, #forums td.title, #forums td.moderators, #forum td.title, #forum td.icon, #forum td.icon2, #forum td.author, #forum td.replies, #forum td.views, #forum td.rating, #forum td.lastpost, #subforums td.title, #subforums td.topics, #subforums td.posts, .privfolder table.standard td, .privfolder table.standard tr td.altcolor2, #forum td.button_remove, #cpmain .private_messages table td.status, #cpmain .private_messages table td.icon, #cpmain .private_messages table td.title, #cpmain .private_messages table td.sender, #cpmain .private_messages table td.date {
	background-image: none !important;
	background-position: bottom;
	}
	#content {
    border: 0px solid #FF0000 !important;
}
.newreply #content #thread table.post:first-child tr td.userinfo, .newreply #content #thread table.post:first-child tr td.postbody {
    border-style: solid;
    border-color: #434343 !important;
    -moz-border-right-colors: none;
    -moz-border-bottom-colors: none;
    -moz-border-left-colors: none;
    border-image: none !important;
    border-width: 1px 0px 0px !important;
}

.altcolor2 td {
		background-color: #393939 !important;
	}
	#thread td.postbody, #thread dl.userinfo, #forum td.replies, #forum td.views, #forum td.author, #subforums, a:visited, body {
}
#mods, div.pages, #copyright, #forum th, #forum td.lastpost, #forum span.pages, #thread div.postbar, td.postdate, td.postlinks, #thread dl.userinfo dd, #thread tr.postbar td, div.threadrate, div.subscribe {
    font: 10px Verdana,Arial,sans-serif;
}
div.pages a, div.pages a:hover, div.pages span.disabled {
    text-align: center;
    margin: 0px 2px;
    min-width: 18px;
    padding: 0px !important;
}

td.status, td.date, div#thread.pm, .privfolder #content table tr td.sender, .privfolder #content table tr td.check, td.author, td.icon2, td.views, td.lastpost, td.moderators, td.users, td.archived, td.topics, .altcolor2 td  {
	}
#forum td.title div.lastseen a {
    text-shadow: none !important;
    font-size: 10px !important;
}

#cpmain #forum td.title a.thread_title{
    font-size: 12px !important;
}
#forum td.replies, #forum td.views, #forum td.author, #subforums {
}

img.timg { visibility:visible  !important; }

td.postdate a, td.postlinks ul.profilelinks li a, .dictnav a, #main_full td a, .searchresults #main_full tr .smalltext a, .newthread #content table.standard tr.altcolor2 td:last-child a, .newreply #main_full div.postinfo div.save-state a, .newreply #main_full tr.altcolor2 td:last-child a, .newthread #content table.standard tr:first-child a, .newreply #content table.standard tr:first-child a, .threads_editthread table#main_wide.standard td.user_loggedin a {
    border: none !important;
    text-decoration: none;
    display: inline-block;
    white-space: nowrap;
    padding: 0px 0px !important;
    border-radius: 0px !important;
    background-image: none !important;
    background-position: center bottom;
}
#thread ul.profilelinks {
    display: inline;
    float: left;
    list-style: none outside none;
    margin: 0px;
    padding: 4px 0px 0px 5px !important;
}

#thread table.post {border-width: 0px 0px 0px !important; border-style: none !important; }

#thread table.post td {
    border-bottom-color: rgb(17, 17, 17) !important;

}

td.postbody .cancerous, td.postbody .cancerous .bbc-block { opacity:1.0 !important; }
#navigation, .navigation {
    border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;
    border-width: 0px;
    border-style: none !important;
    border-right: none !important;
    border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(170, 170, 170) rgb(170, 170, 170);
    -moz-border-top-colors: none;
    -moz-border-right-colors: none;
    -moz-border-bottom-colors: none;
    -moz-border-left-colors: none;
    border-image: none;
    font-weight: normal;
    font-family: Corbel !important;
    color: rgb(221, 221, 221);
    margin-top: 0px;
    padding: 0px 0px !important;
}
.bbc-block {
    border-radius: 0px 0px 0px 0px !important;
    margin: 12px 22px;
    padding: 0px 8px !important;
    border: 1px solid rgb(9, 9, 9) !important;
    background: none repeat-x scroll 0% 0% #444444 !important;
}
#thread td.userinfo .registered {
    color: #ccc !important;
}

blockquote {

}
div.standard {
    background: none repeat scroll 0% 0% rgb(232, 232, 232);
    border: 1px solid rgb(53, 53, 53) !important;
}
#content ul#usercpnav {
    border-radius: 1px 1px 1px 1px !important;
    border: 1px solid rgb(44, 44, 44) !important;
    height: 12px !important;
    line-height: 12px !important;
    background-color: #333333 !important;
    width: 100%;
    display: table;
}
#usercpnav li {
    font-weight: bold !important;
    font-family: 'Corbel' !important;
}

div.pages a, div.pages a:hover, div.pages span.disabled, .dictionary_show .letternav li a, .dictionary_show .letternav li a:hover, .messages_nextprev a {
    border: 1px solid #303030 !important;
    background: none repeat-x scroll 0% 0% #333333 !important;
}
div.threadbar.top {
    margin-bottom: -3px !important;
    border-width: 0px 0px 0px !important;
    clear: both;
    padding-top: 3px !important;
}

th.icon, th.icon2, th.title, th.replies, th.rating, th.rate, th.author, th.rating, th.lastpost, th.views, .category, #pm th, td.star, td.button_remove, #info th, th.moderators, .forumbar, .threadbar, #main_full th, th, .standard h2 {
		background-color: #434343 !important;
	}

.moderators { text-align: right !important; }
		#thread td.postbody, #thread td.userinfo {
    padding-top: 8px !important;
}
#thread table.post td {
    border-bottom-color: #222222 !important;
    color: rgb(34, 34, 34);
}

select { 
		background-color: #434343 !important;
-moz-appearance: none !important;
	}

.qb2 h4 { color: #000 !important; }

pre { 
		background-color: #698B69 !important;
		border: 1px solid #000 !important;
		padding: 10px !important;
		color: #fff !important;
		font-family: Corbel !important;
	}

pre hr { 
		color: #333 !important;
		background-color: #333 !important;
		height: 1px !important;
		border: 0 !important;
	}

a { color: #4F94CD !important; }

body, a:visited { color: #4481B2 !important; }
#usercpnav li { 
float:left; 
padding:1px 0em !important; 
background:#3f3f3f !important; 
border:1px #333 solid !important; 
font-size:12px !important; 
font-weight:normal !important; 
color:#036; 
}

a:hover { text-decoration: none !important; }

dt.author { color: #698B69 !important; }

select {
		height: 20px !important;
		border: 0px solid #434343 !important;
	}

option {
		background-color: #4A708B !important;
		border: 1px solid #000 !important;
		padding: 3px !important;
	}

#mp_bar {
		padding: 5px !important;
	}

td.title div.lastseen { 
	border:1px solid #050505 !important;
	background:bottom right no-repeat url('http://fishmech.net/newpost-button.PNG') #070707 !important;
	float:right !important;
	margin:5px !important;
	padding:0 !important;
	min-width:8px !important;
}
#forum td.title div.lastseen a.x {
	font-size:9px !important;
	border:0 !important;	
	color:#dbb !important;
	background:bottom left no-repeat url('http://fishmech.net/newpost-button.PNG') #070707 !important;
}
#forum td.title div.lastseen a.count {
	text-align:right !important;
	width:32px !important;
	border-left:1px #070707 solid !important;
	padding-right:12px !important;
}
form#ac_timemachine { 
margin:0 0 6px 0 !important;
font-weight:bold !important;
padding:2px !important;
padding-left:22px !important;
font-size:10px !important;
width:300px !important;
}

.forumdisplay #forum.threadlist td.title.title_sticky div.info a.thread_title {
}

form#ac_timemachine.active {
background-image:url('http://i.somethingawful.com/core/icon/fsilk/clock_red.png') !important;
 width:370px !important;
}
#ac_timemachine { 
background:#3f3f3f url('http://i.somethingawful.com/core/icon/fsilk/clock.png') no-repeat !important;
 background-position: 3px 4px !important; 
}
#ac_timemachine select { 
}
#ac_timemachine input { 
}
table.post tr.seen1 td { background-color:#323239 !important; border: 1px solid #434343 !important;	color: #ddd !important;}
table.post tr.seen2 td { background-color:#393940 !important; border: 1px solid #434343 !important;	color: #ddd !important;}
table#forum.archives tr th, div.forumbar.archives { 
background-color:#8F0035 !important; 
}

#ad_banner_user, .ad_banner_oma, #searchboxes, .button_remove, #nav_purchase, #unregskyscraper, #buddylist, a.index  { display: none !important; }
}

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Ah, the little-seen "Chaos Reigns" indentation style.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you play the whitespace backwards, it's a prayer to Cthulhu.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Does anyone know a good extension for replacing individual images on a site?

There are a number of users here with horrible flashing avatars and I'd love to set them to a static version without losing the ability to quickly identify that user.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gorilla Salad posted:

Does anyone know a good extension for replacing individual images on a site?

There are a number of users here with horrible flashing avatars and I'd love to set them to a static version without losing the ability to quickly identify that user.

You could do it with stylish. Rule keyed off src attribute, set the content property.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

Animated gifs distract me in general; I use SuperStop to allow me to stop them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I use Toggle animated GIFs and couldn't imagine Firefox without it. Having a pause and rewind button on all gifs (on mouseover) is incredible.

It'd just be nice to pause particular gifs permanently.

I think I'll follow Subjunctive's advice and see if I can't Frankenstein together a Stylish script.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

I use Toggle animated GIFs and couldn't imagine Firefox without it. Having a pause and rewind button on all gifs (on mouseover) is incredible.

It'd just be nice to pause particular gifs permanently.

I think I'll follow Subjunctive's advice and see if I can't Frankenstein together a Stylish script.

Thanks for this.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Does this stop them from loading/downloading? I'd love something like this if I could load them on demand with a simple click like how most embedded videos don't start until you press play. Seriously some forums people just need to post an endless amount of huge fuckoff sized gifs for no reason and pages end up taking so long to load, stop that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Click-to-play needs server support to work well, because the browser doesn't know it's a big animated thing until it has loaded at least some of it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Im_Special posted:

Does this stop them from loading/downloading? I'd love something like this if I could load them on demand with a simple click like how most embedded videos don't start until you press play. Seriously some forums people just need to post an endless amount of huge fuckoff sized gifs for no reason and pages end up taking so long to load, stop that.

I think this extension might be what you want:

gif Block

"There is a lot of web page that has some Gif files. These file consume users bandwidth. With this add-on users can disable Gif files and avoid them from being appear. however users can change the setting and view the Gif files again."

But I'm not sure how well it actually works.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

The Dave posted:

Care to share that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Still working on it, has some rough edges and is a disaster outside of threads. CSS is also a nightmare to look at.