Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, it's jumping to their 3rd year, so looks like it's speeding toward its ending arcs, unless it does the unimaginable and they all go to college. Course, the 3rd year can be as long as the author wants obviously, but their 2nd year felt short. I felt like there could have been more done before they jump up a grade, but other romance stories with slower pacing are probably throwing me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't like a lot of this comic, but every now and then it drops in just enough of the main guy being a decent person or characterization for the chicks to keep me reading

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'M COCK, says the shirt. Guess his future job doesn't require tact.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is this manga still a thing? Judging from the thread it looks like it takes a sharp downturn and then a gradual decrease in quality somewhere along the halfway point. Should I pick it up? Would you guys still recommend it?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is still going but isn't nearly as entertaining as it was at the beginning. The current arc feels like padding, the protagonist is kind of a little bitch, the main heroine is pretty bland (as nearly every female lead on a Harem)...I'd say just read it until the confession and the forgot about it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is still going but isn't nearly as entertaining as it was at the beginning. The current arc feels like padding, the protagonist is kind of a little bitch, the main heroine is pretty bland (as nearly every female lead on a Harem)...I'd say just read it until the confession and the forgot about it.

There's definitely some padding going on and it's kinda unfortunate. Every plot and problem used to get resolved in a relatively quick manner but now I don't know. To be fair, the mangaka girl is probably the one I feel sorry for the most since she is actively in love with Aoshima and he basically turns her down for his potential future wife.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Artificer posted:

Is this manga still a thing? Judging from the thread it looks like it takes a sharp downturn and then a gradual decrease in quality somewhere along the halfway point. Should I pick it up? Would you guys still recommend it?

The "conflict" now is apparently a new teacher was hired who bland girl is attracted to and said teacher also tries to humiliate Aoshima or something, I honestly can't tell what's going on. It's all so generic and all over the place.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After forgetting this existed I decided to pop back in and read the latest chapter. It, uh, sure was filler.

I think I'll mentally file this with Yakitate Japan under "series you should stop reading after chapter X", with X being 33.

EDIT: Oh wait, 62 was when she accepted. 33 was when he confessed the first time, and it was the last point before things started sliding down.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 8, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

I think I'll mentally file this with Yakitate Japan under "series you should stop reading after chapter X", with X being 33.

I just went ahead and read the last chapter of the Yakitate manga. What the gently caress did I just read. The anime had its fair share of odd moments but it sure as hell wasn't this. :psyduck:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
After the Monaco arc, Yakitate got into this really terrible and formulaic series that eventually ended in an explosion of weird. You really should just stop after Monaco.

I wonder how many other series there are where you can honestly say you'd have a complete and better story if you stopped part way.

EDIT: V I said complete.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

After the Monaco arc, Yakitate got into this really terrible and formulaic series that eventually ended in an explosion of weird. You really should just stop after Monaco.

I wonder how many other series there are where you can honestly say you'd have a complete and better story if you stopped part way.

Well there's Bleach for one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Usagi Drop.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Usagi Drop.

Where would you stop in Usagi Drop?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The timeskip. It's not entirely terrible to start off with, but it only goes downhill, on fire, full of angry fireproof bees as it goes on, so might as well stop as soon as you hit it.

Usagi Drop might just be the winner of the "should have quit while it was ahead" award of all time. It retroactively ruins everything that was good about it beforehand, which is actually rather impressive if it didn't make me so god drat butthurt.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Artificer posted:

Where would you stop in Usagi Drop?

You shouldn't read it at all, watch it. The anime and manga ended on so completely different notes that they might has well been different stories. Whoever oversaw the anime adaption had the good sense to quit while they were ahead.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Is Usagi Drop the one that ends with the dad and the kid hes taking care of whos like 10 falling in love?

Because if the anime changes that then I might as well watch it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

Is Usagi Drop the one that ends with the dad and the kid hes taking care of whos like 10 falling in love?

Because if the anime changes that then I might as well watch it.

Pretty much yeah. I mean, they don't get together until after a time-skip, but still. It's hosed.

The anime removes this completely and is adorable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xoidanor posted:

You shouldn't read it at all, watch it. The anime and manga ended on so completely different notes that they might has well been different stories. Whoever oversaw the anime adaption had the good sense to quit while they were ahead.

Yeah do this

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Usagi Drop.

Also Kare Kano, now that I remember it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xelkelvos posted:

Also Kare Kano, now that I remember it.
The anime version or the manga version?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The anime version or the manga version?

The Manga version.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was super annoyed when there were like 2 whole books dedicated to Arima's backstory, I can't imagine reading that weekly.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The most recent chapter has a slim chance to win me over since the best character (The manga girl) did a great move...it probably would be for naught but I can dream right? :smith:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The most recent chapter has a slim chance to win me over since the best character (The manga girl) did a great move...it probably would be for naught but I can dream right? :smith:

One of the inherent problems with the manga is that the MC has no good excuse to keep shutting down these other girls "For the Future!" and it just makes him look like an rear end in a top hat instead of devoted. (To a girl he barely knows, mind, and is only stuck on because he saw her future first.)

It would be one thing if picking one of these other girls was somehow a bad end, but nope, he could have a happy future with any one of them and he knows that for a fact.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

It would be extremely interesting if he actually just gave in and did that.

That said, are we sure he's broken up with Watagumi? The wording of their split always gave me pause.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New chapter and gently caress YOU AOSHIMA :argh:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

New chapter and gently caress YOU AOSHIMA :argh:

In terms of uniqueness that was a good chapter. The twenty pages were all about some ten seconds of actual elapsed time, and about two feet of movement.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Were those junji ito references in the newest chapter? If so, they own, much unlike the chapter itself.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You're a loving rear end in a top hat Aoshima.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You're a loving rear end in a top hat Aoshima.

I'll never understand the obsession/popularity with stories featuring the loser/generic male hopelessly in love with the school's idol who secretly loves him back but said male constantly does stupid things or blows it somehow, and always ends up thinking his life is over once he loses his chance.

I mean, it's obviously geared towards the kind of people who never could had that kind of connection in their actual life, but even after 3-4 flash forwards where Aoshima is married to another woman he keeps going "Wagatsuma hates me, looks like I'll give up on women entirely"

Also, the translation is poo poo, but apparently she broke up with him because he put up with her weird hobbies and was a "true friend"? That's some serious rear end-pulling from the author for reasons they broke up.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 9, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think you misread that. Those were the reasons she got together with him, even though he was just putting up a front and pretending to be interested in the same things, which ended up backfiring on him anyways. That and he hosed it up all on his own anyways by isolating himself in his room after he screwed up instead of talking to her like a normal person, so your basic dumbass protagonist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The idiot protagonist is something I'm used to, what I'm tired is the Non-main girl being better in every single way.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ressentiment ending spoilers: If it ended with him loving everything up and truly ending up alone and unloved because he couldn't see around him thanks to his Wagatsuma tunnel vision, that'd be hilarious and frankly rather appropriate for this series

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Ressentiment ending spoilers: If it ended with him loving everything up and truly ending up alone and unloved because he couldn't see around him thanks to his Wagatsuma tunnel vision, that'd be hilarious and frankly rather appropriate for this series

Couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:livintrope:

That's it, I'm done with this manga.

Isn't funny anymore, Aoshima is a terrible protagonist and Wagatsuma has the personality of a cardboard.

gently caress this lovely manga.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:livintrope:

That's it, I'm done with this manga.

Isn't funny anymore, Aoshima is a terrible protagonist and Wagatsuma has the personality of a cardboard.

gently caress this lovely manga.

Looking back, it honestly seems like each recent 'arc' or section is barely connected by anything other then Aoshima being a complete gently caress up(until some miracle pull like making the teacher fall in love with creepy wannabe monk) and crying over his not-wife. All formerly developed characters are basically meaningless and get almost no attention. The last 5 chapters existed because new teacher looks like a celebrity that Wagatsuma has a crush on and Aoshima challenged/tried to be inspiring in front of her and so the teacher tries to set him up to fail (because said teacher wants her too?)

The tone/quality change since chapter 60ish is so jarring it's like at some point an entirely different person took over the series. There was the really weird pedophile-friend side plot that carried on for way too long; that was probably the indication that the author passed the original series plot outline and had no idea how to continue.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So for the first chapter in quite a while a major plot development has arrived! About drat time.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Guess that means time slips were a real thing and not him dreaming

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, after 30+ chapters of the most banal boring poo poo suddenly the author wants to now make it really interesting.

This turning into some kind of temporal-war battle manga is probably not going to happen, but one can only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What :psyboom:

• Locked thread