Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NOTE I will not answer anything that will breach my confidentiality NOTE

About me: I have a bachelor degree in kindergarten teaching and is currently working in a kindergarten in Norway. I work in a team consisting of four persons (one of those are another kindergarten teacher) and we have responsibility for 25 kids in the age group of 3-6 years.

About kindergartens in Norway: Every kid at the age of one has the right to attend a kindergarten in the place where they live, kindergartens are not allowed to charge more than 2330 Norwegian kroner (about 386 dollars) a month, every kindergarten is obligated to follow a framework made by the government where it says what we shall teach, every kindergarten shall have at least one educated kindergarten teacher but since there's not enough of us dispensations are given.

What I do:

I'm in charge for the parent-teacher conferences, organizing the day, I also have the responsibility for preparing the older kids for school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

So you're saying that people have to pay $386 a month to attend kindergarten or did I misinterpret that?

Redkist
Mar 5, 2005
Fonkay fressh!
What are the day to day problems in a class full of white well-off 5 year olds? Seems like easy mode to me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AdorableStar posted:

So you're saying that people have to pay $386 a month to attend kindergarten or did I misinterpret that?
If my calculations are correct, yes.

Redkist posted:

What are the day to day problems in a class full of white well-off 5 year olds?

I don't know. That's not the reality in my kindergarten.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Are you sure it's not a tumor?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Alhazred posted:

Every kid at the age of one has the right to attend a kindergarten in the place where they live, kindergartens are not allowed to charge more than 2330 Norwegian kroner (about 386 dollars) a month...

So its more like daycare.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

AdorableStar posted:

Don't you have to pay for preschool here in the sates? I'm guessing its a similar situation where is not mandatory. Preschool can be pretty expensive also.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

In the US, preschool isn't mandatory and you pay for it. What we call Kindergarten is the first year kids go to public school.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I used to think I wanted to be a kindergarten teacher, but then I had some kids :haw:

More, I thought that I wouldn't want to deal with the parents, especially being a man. My sister in law teaches second grade, and has done both inner city Oakland with kids that revealed they were being raped by their relatives weekly, and bilingual schools in SF where the parents will get a hair up their rear end about something and do everything within their (wrongfully considerable) power to have you fired. She prefered the former.

Does Norway have a stranger-danger, don't let men near my children sort of culture? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Tooke
Jan 3, 2014

My wife is a kindergarten teacher here in the US. I'm curious based on our family discussions on how classrooms are run here in the states. How would you incorporate play into your daily routine. What kind of expectations do you have for each age, and what are the expectations for successful completion of your kindergarten program?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That is a pretty good model for cheap daycare. Does the State subsidies the kindergartens pretty significantly? ~$10,000 a month doesn't seem enough for 4 working adults and everything that goes with it.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

r0ck0 posted:

So its more like daycare.

According to Wikipedia we Americans are apparently the oddballs. In every other nation on the planet Kindergarten is pre-school, with it not being a standard part of the educational system.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Does Norway have a stranger-danger, don't let men near my children sort of culture? If so, how have you dealt with it?
In the nineties we had a pretty infamous case called the Bjugn affair http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bjugn_affair where a man working in a kindergarten was wrongly accused for molesting children. After that people became a little more careful with the whole stranger-danger thing.
I myself have never experienced anyone that has reacted negatively to me being a man working with kids, but I have met others that have. If anything people thinks it positive that men works in kindegarten.

Lord Windy posted:

That is a pretty good model for cheap daycare. Does the State subsidies the kindergartens pretty significantly? ~$10,000 a month doesn't seem enough for 4 working adults and everything that goes with it.
Norway is made up by municipalities. One of the things a municipality does is subsidizing kindergartens.

Tooke posted:

How would you incorporate play into your daily routine.
Play pretty much forms the basis for everything we do. When we have workshop for example we base it on what children play, when we want the children to learn more about (for example) math we do it through play.

quote:

What kind of expectations do you have for each age
This is actually somewhat controversial. There exist various forms for measuring the development for children but there is some issues with all of them. First of all we're not allowed fill out those forms without the parent's consent and even then we have to a reason for doing it (the kid have to be severely behind in development for example). The forms themselves have also been criticized for being too narrow, not allowing for cultural differences and causing people to only see the negative sides with the children they're observing.
All in all it's difficult to set expectations for kids development. I know what the kids should be able to do at certain ages (by the age of two for example they should be able to play pretend) but I also know that kids develop differently. Take language for example, some kids produce their first words at nine months, some at sixteen months. That doesn't mean that the kids that speak at sixteen months are behind in development but that they're developing language differently than those that speak at nine months.

quote:

and what are the expectations for successful completion of your kindergarten program?
I don't know how satisfying an answer this is, but for us a successful completion is based on whether or not the kids had a good time.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does an average day pan out?

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
What kinds of cultural differences are there? Like, let's say that there are multicultural classrooms and the like? Is that the case in Norway? Or are we talking about a different kind of cultural differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Liar posted:

According to Wikipedia we Americans are apparently the oddballs. In every other nation on the planet Kindergarten is pre-school, with it not being a standard part of the educational system.

You guys also call the main course of a meal an entree v:shobon:v

• Locked thread