Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I had a similar issue at walmart buying the same thing. The card would not ring up at all and the cashier spent a good 3 minutes before a manager was called who spent another few minutes trying to ring it up. Luckily they did but drat, they were getting frustrated.

I also couldn't activate it online because T-mobile's site was loving up and would not let me past the address page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I just noticed Verizon has 15x15 (or whatever) LTE in Chicago market and still stuck on old and crummy with T-Mobile for now :negative:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/871476531.png
http://www.speedtest.net/android/871474637.png

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just got a T Mobile SIM and think I'm ready to start up with the nerd plan, but don't know when to actually make an account and do the activation. My current contract elsewhere will expire at the end of August, and T Mobile's site says that my number should port over okay. Do I need to wait for the other contract to end first then hope for a quick switch over?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

api call girl posted:

I just noticed Verizon has 15x15 (or whatever) LTE in Chicago market and still stuck on old and crummy with T-Mobile for now :negative:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/871476531.png
http://www.speedtest.net/android/871474637.png

What's the point of those speeds if you just use your cap in 2 days?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Teeter posted:

I just got a T Mobile SIM and think I'm ready to start up with the nerd plan, but don't know when to actually make an account and do the activation. My current contract elsewhere will expire at the end of August, and T Mobile's site says that my number should port over okay. Do I need to wait for the other contract to end first then hope for a quick switch over?
Yes. Finish your contract, then do the port.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Thanks. Am I able to begin any of the process before then? Basically, I've read a lot of things where people have trouble activating a SIM for some reason or another. I ordered this online and don't want to run in to a situation where I'm running back and forth between T-Mobiles and Walmarts for a week without any phone service if I can avoid it. I'm not sure if the SIM can be activated or an account created without attaching a phone number to it yet.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I've been trying to find an updated SIM for my (I've been told I have an outdated one) Samsung Galaxy Relay, but its not terribly clear even on the T-Mo website. It seems like I should get a GBA, but for replacement,not for starter. A lot of stuff on amazon seems like 3rd party sellers that could be selling old SIMs.

How can I order the most updated GBA SIM for a replacement card? Seems like a simple question, but not a clear answer.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="431382752"]
What's the point of those speeds if you just use your cap in 2 days?

I'm unlimited both ways, the Verizon one is on the corporate plan.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Oneiros posted:

I don't have that quota listed anywhere I can find. I've seen screenshots of it but my account page just looks like this:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Teeter posted:

Let the contract end and port the number before canceling your other account. When I had my number ported over, Verizon canceled that line immediately.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

From a while ago, but hopefully it helps someone.

the last s0n posted:

I'm considering switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. I searched the forum and Google and couldn't find my answers. Two questions:

1. T-Mobile's plan buyout program requires that you present them with your final bill. I'm currently on a family plan and, while I would try to convince everyone else to switch with me, I don't count on everyone switching over with me. Am I still eligible for this program if only my line of the former plan is canceled?

2. In the event the above is a positive, is there any way to purchase a Moto X, while still appeasing the T-Mobile requirement of buying a phone through them?

Thanks!

I don't know if what I had at Verizon qualified as a "family plan," but there were four lines on our bill. Verizon let me cancel only my line and only charged me the usual ETF, which happened to be $200 in my case. Everyone else remained on Verizon.

I also purchased a Moto X. There is no way to purchase it from T-Mobile, you have to do it through some other service. I used Motorola's official website and Moto Maker thing. That meant I had to buy some lovely flip phone from T-Mobile to qualify for the ETF reimbursement. It was $20 or $30 or something. I ended up reselling it a few months later here on SA-Mart, actually.

Additionally, they offered $0 for my Verizon HTC smartphone trade in. So instead of doing that, I traded in an ancient flip phone from before the smartphone era. Then I sold my smartphone on SA-Mart for $60.

When I sent in the final Verizon bill to T-Mobile, I sent in the whole bill including all four lines. After like a month, they approved it and sent out the gift card with no questions.

I went in to a T-Mobile store to do all of the above, and the two staff members I spoke to on different occasions were both very knowledgeable and helpful. If you've still got questions, head in to the store and have them walk you through it. They should be able to help.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 28, 2014

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So I just got a Nexus 5 as a gift and currently have a HTC One through T-Mobile. I have $400 left on the EIP- am I screwed? They told me I have to keep paying off the balance even if I use my Nexus 5 and try to send the One back. This is so loving lame. I was lured in by the 'old no contracts thing but this is basically just as bad as a contract.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Turns out you have to pay for things you purchase, even if you spread the payments out over a year or two.

Read your financing contract and see if it has a return policy. Or try to sell it and use those funds to pay off the loan.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

So I just got a Nexus 5 as a gift and currently have a HTC One through T-Mobile. I have $400 left on the EIP- am I screwed? They told me I have to keep paying off the balance even if I use my Nexus 5 and try to send the One back. This is so loving lame. I was lured in by the 'old no contracts thing but this is basically just as bad as a contract.

I don't understand what you're upset about? That you still have to pay off your phone? You agreed to by the phone at the full price. Do you have jump by chance? You could jump to the least expensive phone is you do. See if you can sell your HTC one for around $400 to someone on craigslist or eBay or maybe SAmart and then pay it off.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Burden posted:

I don't understand what you're upset about? That you still have to pay off your phone? You agreed to by the phone at the full price. Do you have jump by chance? You could jump to the least expensive phone is you do. See if you can sell your HTC one for around $400 to someone on craigslist or eBay or maybe SAmart and then pay it off.

I guess it was more along the lines of my confusion with the original JUMP plan- I was under the impression for some reason that I could return the phone to nullify the balance. If I would have paid more attention to the EIP terms, I probably would have just gotten my own phone from the get go.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

UncleGuito posted:

So sell one of the phones and pay off the $400. Then save your $28/mo (or whatever your phone payment is). What are you complaining about?

It IS similar to a contract. One that you can finish paying off at any time and that automatically drops your monthly bill by $x/mo once you finish paying off the phone that you purchased. The alternative is having you phone payment NOT be a line item on the bill and thus never dropping off automatically.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 1, 2014

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

UncleGuito posted:

I guess it was more along the lines of my confusion with the original JUMP plan- I was under the impression for some reason that I could return the phone to nullify the balance. If I would have paid more attention to the EIP terms, I probably would have just gotten my own phone from the get go.

If you have jump, jump your HTC one and get the Tmobile 768 for $72 + tax. Now you don't owe the $400 and can use the nexus and won't have to payment on your phone anymore.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

Burden posted:

If you have jump, jump your HTC one and get the Tmobile 768 for $72 + tax. Now you don't owe the $400 and can use the nexus and won't have to payment on your phone anymore.

Awesome plan, thanks.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Can anyone confirm that the free streaming is available to nerds on the $30 goon plan? Since its the last day of my pay period I'm gonna test it later today to see if the streaming music adds up on my account.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Can anyone confirm that the free streaming is available to nerds on the $30 goon plan? Since its the last day of my pay period I'm gonna test it later today to see if the streaming music adds up on my account.

It's only on Simple Choice plans.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I recently bought an iPad on the 1GB plan and I love the free streaming. I'm just going to be disappointed when the $10 off promotion ends in January.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

FordPRefectLL posted:

I recently bought an iPad on the 1GB plan and I love the free streaming. I'm just going to be disappointed when the $10 off promotion ends in January.

Speaking of, does anyone know if there's any word of the tablet discounts returning? I still feel like I should have gotten in on the $130 discounted iPad mini.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know if there's any word of the tablet discounts returning? I still feel like I should have gotten in on the $130 discounted iPad mini.

It is back on sale. The iPad Mini Retina is $428.40 instead of $529.00.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Costco was running them for $504 with $100 worth of mail in rebates, and then the rep messed up and gave me an additional $20 off by keying in the EIP wrong. That ended today, though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Was planning on switching to T-Mobile when I could afford to buy new phones (coming from Verizon), but now I'm not so sure. What are yalls thoughts on this?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Mr. Crow posted:

Was planning on switching to T-Mobile when I could afford to buy new phones (coming from Verizon), but now I'm not so sure. What are yalls thoughts on this?
All the carriers announced last year that they'd stop that crap. I wonder why T-Mobile never actually did.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
T-Mobile SIMs are on sale for 1 cent with the coupon code SIMDEAL.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

T-Mobile and all the carriers allowed third party billing. T-Mobile as of last year doesn't allow third party billing anymore so you don't have to worry about being charged as you can't be charged. T-mobile is also going back and going to allow refunds for anyone who was charged before they started blocking them.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

My understanding is those charges come from dumb poo poo like "Text IMAMORON to 032409 to get a funny joke every day!!!" Is that correct? If so, just don't do that.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

ColdPie posted:

My understanding is those charges come from dumb poo poo like "Text IMAMORON to 032409 to get a funny joke every day!!!" Is that correct? If so, just don't do that.
Yes, although some people have allegedly been charged without having signed up.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Cawd Rud posted:

Yes, although some people have allegedly been charged without having signed up.
A trustworthy operator would require intentional signup and confirmation after disclosing the ongoing fees, but there have been claims that some of the companies charging $10/mo for celebrity gossip might have ignored this, a bit. It'll also be interesting to see if other carriers see similar lawsuits on this topic- premium SMS subscriptions have always been super shady, but it's hardly unique to T-Mobile. Carriers knew this, but it was also very profitable before app stores became common, so they dealt with the customer complaints and enjoyed the revenue.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna take a guess and say that tmobile is not paying installment payoffs as part of this ETF thing? I'm trying to work out switching.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Beefstorm posted:

I'm gonna take a guess and say that tmobile is not paying installment payoffs as part of this ETF thing? I'm trying to work out switching.

Nope. It has to be an actual ETF.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

How is T-mobil's service in Tucson, Az? A rep was trying to persuade me to change over and said i would get unlimited talk/text/data for $56.18 a month after the Sears Holdings Discount. He broke down the charges and stuff on a piece of paper.

Im highly dubious of this number due to the fact that one of the other reps was quietly saying "Sears doesnt get a discount anymore, and it was never that high to beginwith" to him, trying not to let me overhear. But IF it is true, i might consider switching.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

grimcreaper posted:

How is T-mobil's service in Tucson, Az?
Give it a test drive! :)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

grimcreaper posted:

How is T-mobil's service in Tucson, Az? A rep was trying to persuade me to change over and said i would get unlimited talk/text/data for $56.18 a month after the Sears Holdings Discount. He broke down the charges and stuff on a piece of paper.

Im highly dubious of this number due to the fact that one of the other reps was quietly saying "Sears doesnt get a discount anymore, and it was never that high to beginwith" to him, trying not to let me overhear. But IF it is true, i might consider switching.
I'm from Tucson, service is okay. If you're going to need to use data, text, or make phone calls a lot deep inside big building without WiFi, forget about it then.

Also, don't believe anything reps say in Tucson. They hosed me over with lies in the past also saying I could get a rate discount because of my place of employment. If there is a discount to be had, you have to go through your company and retrieve that information before making any deal with Tmobile. Anyways I thought I read that Tmobile just recently ended discounts and no one but Tmobile employees can get discounts now.

Pretty much all post-paid plans have unlimited talk and text. Data is only unlimited in the sense you will be throttled after using 1gb of 4g speeds (or more with more expensive plans), and not be charged for it. Truly unlimited 4g speeds you have to go with the $80 simple choice plan + pay about $7 in taxes/fees. Doesn't surprise me that the reps wouldn't clarify that for you. Keep in mind that the $80 plan is the only way to get the free music streaming.

Once I'm done making a road trip in couple months, I plan on switching to their $30 dollar prepaid plans since I don't use voice much at all.

TL:DR Tmobile reps in Tucson have the okay to lie to customers, don't trust them. Keep asking questions online for clarification.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Definitely lean hard on the 14 day return policy to try it. I lived in the Thornydale/Ina area and worked out at Rita Rd in Tucson and my T-Mobile phone barely worked or didn't work at all in either of those areas and mostly just worked downtown. Works fine up here in Phoenix, though!

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Info about Tmobile discontinuing discounts. Only military and government people get discounts.

Out of curiosity, what location to did you talk to a rep about this stuff?

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Old discounts are still grandfathered in as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

If you want to see if you get any sort of corporate discount look go to https://business.t-mobile.com/advantage and fill out the necessary information. Now they give you a gift card for money off a phone, not a discount off your plan.