Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Gatdamn, that's really cool. That design is full-on excellent. It probably helps that I've never seen non-doofy rendition of a kelpie before now.

For a request that's kind of conventional, if anyone's up to it - gimme the haughtiest noblewomen-turned-rogues you've got. By that I mean they can be wearing fancy duds or rogueish armor, either/or is fine. Ideally with dark hair, but that's less important than the attitude. Someone who looks like they could be thinking, "yeah I know I'm an rear end in a top hat, but I can't help it that I'm just better than you."

edit:

Dark Souls art and the stuff inspired by it is one of my favorite sources for fantasy stuff even though I've never even played the games~

http://imgur.com/gallery/z1mra
http://imgur.com/gallery/Sab9G

It just hits a particular note that I really like.

Cloche fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I hope some of these get used in the upcoming DLCs, especially the Lion Lord an Forest Sage. Also looks like the Faram Set originally had Bernhart's helm.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

GruntyThrst posted:

aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA :gonk:

Horse skulls already scare the poo poo out of me and that is so much worse.

Don't ever google the mari llwyd then. :gonk:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

atomicgeek posted:

"It's like Christmas, but Welsh. And more horse-skull-y."

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Seriously, wtf, Wales. I thought midwinter was a time for people in northern hemispheres to come together and attempt to comfort one another as dire wolves eat the sun. Not in Gwent, apparently!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

atomicgeek posted:

Hahaha, that owns. Good job Wales.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

a kitten posted:

Hahaha, that owns. Good job Wales.

I don't know what everyone's getting so worked up about. I did a GIS and can't stop laughing.

I can't take the whole thing seriously when it looks like it's got this giant goofy grin on it's face.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That cadaver is ecstatic because it knows it rocks that sheet and you can't.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Reene posted:

What's your favorite underutilized mythological monster?

I think kelpies are pretty cool.

Dang. That's really cool. Nice to see someone using a less common mythological creature.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Water beasts don't get enough love. Jenny Greenteeth, Black Agnes, Bunyip, I guess maybe the various washers at the ford? Well, no, I guess those last ones just tell you you're hosed, they don't drag you under. But still! The kelpie comics rule!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Post Hot Kelpies and the Wateriest Beasts You Got

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Please tell me he then goes and builds a dickbutt statue out of driftwood by the shore.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I'm getting a weird fanart vibe from this person. Like they're going to have hundreds of comics dedicated to kelpies dragging people under.

Hundreds, many of which won't see the light of day.

Just the harsh glow of a monitor as they become a vehicle for their shameful acts.

Course, I could be wrong!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Tasoth posted:

I'm getting a weird fanart vibe from this person. Like they're going to have hundreds of comics dedicated to kelpies dragging people under.

Hundreds, many of which won't see the light of day.

Just the harsh glow of a monitor as they become a vehicle for their shameful acts.

Course, I could be wrong!

The comics are autobiographical.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The artist is the Kelpie.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
ALL artists are kelpies. :aaa:

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

SageNytell posted:

ALL artists are kelpies. :aaa:

As an artist, I can confirm this.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Astro Ambulance posted:

As an artist, I can confirm this.

As an artist, I can deny this.

I can also say that one of us always lies, the other always tells the truth.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Guess the source and win a prize!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Maleh-Vor posted:

As an artist, I can deny this.

I can also say that one of us always lies, the other always tells the truth.

I never understood why nobody ever asks both doors the same question with a known answer. "Does 1+1 equal 2?" Fuckin bam, now you know which door lies.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The truth door doesn't know math, the lying door does. They both answer "I don't know".

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuego Fish posted:

That's clearly a Napoleonic-French-knockoff-of-Zorro hero of the Cyran people, fighting for New Cyre (who just secretly happens to be a warforged)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lord Frisk posted:

I never understood why nobody ever asks both doors the same question with a known answer. "Does 1+1 equal 2?" Fuckin bam, now you know which door lies.

We did that in a game I played in. It was a dungeon full of riddles and the last one was one lying and one truthful passage guardian, and while the wizard was puzzling out a way to solve it, my rogue just went 'What is 1 minus 1.'

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

Rifts Historical: Pirates of the 16th century, specifically the robo-buccaneer RCC with its default MDC vibro-cutlasses.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fuego Fish posted:

Man, I'm not sure I like the Cap'n Crunch redesign.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Lord Frisk posted:

Traditionally you're only allowed to ask one question, so now you know which door lies but not "which is the right way to go". The real answer, incidentally, is that they're always both hooked up to an orb of annihilation and you need to find a third door.

Thanks, Gary.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
If you want a really thorough exploration of how the whole riddle of the liar works To Mock A Mockingbird is a really neat book. It starts off with the really basic classic example and then starts riffing on it by adding in people who can choose to tell lies or whose truthfulness depends on the time of day and eventually gets around to a really complicated scheme of birds who call out each other's names depending on which names they hear from other birds.

One of the things it gets into is how what you're really doing when you solve the riddle is asking two questions at once by having a "fill in the blank." "What would the other man say is the right way?" changes depending on who you ask.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Slap the halfling rogue in the back of the head and asked if you just slapped them.

BAM! Solution!

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Tasoth posted:

Slap the halfling rogue in the back of the head and asked if you just slapped them.

BAM! Solution!

Knowing which person is lying doesn't get you which door to go into.

As Zed pointed out, you have to ask a person which way the other person would say to go, and do the opposite.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
As an aside: I've never played in an RPG session that featured riddles like that as a major plot point. Is it common to do things like that, where player-ability to figure out riddles directly impacts their success?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Inverse Icarus posted:

As an aside: I've never played in an RPG session that featured riddles like that as a major plot point. Is it common to do things like that, where player-ability to figure out riddles directly impacts their success?

No, it's a really dumb and bad thing, and most nerds are poo poo at coming up with original riddles anyways, so it ends up being ones you hear in gradeschool when they do happen. Or really bad and stupid.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

KittyEmpress posted:

No, it's a really dumb and bad thing, and most nerds are poo poo at coming up with original riddles anyways, so it ends up being ones you hear in gradeschool when they do happen. Or really bad and stupid.

Besides, unless you're rolling for the answer to those riddles, you're not really roleplaying. Just like you shouldn't ask some nerd to roleplay how he woos some lady at the inn when he's really socially awkward.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Everyone wants to be Tolkien, either riddling with Smaug and Gollum, or just "Speak, 'friend' and enter." Though, to take it back to the thread's theme, does anyone have any good art of parties trying to solve a puzzle or trap? I could actually use some inspiration for the like.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Behold the tower of Jenga.

From here: http://slyflourish.com/dnd_jenga.html

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Fuego Fish posted:

I just recently read something on this. Thats concept art for the villain to Treasure Planet 2. Which could have been a pretty cool movie, had traditional animated features not started floundering in the face of stuff like Pixar and Dreamworks.

The budget for the original film was astounding. And it was only a flop because they had spent an obscene amount of money on it. So basically the sequel sunk like ... well, a sinking ship.

It was basically the animated equivalent to Cutthroat Island. And proof that in this day and age stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean was a fluke.

Basically dont bet your house on a Pirate flick.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Precambrian posted:

Everyone wants to be Tolkien, either riddling with Smaug and Gollum, or just "Speak, 'friend' and enter." Though, to take it back to the thread's theme, does anyone have any good art of parties trying to solve a puzzle or trap? I could actually use some inspiration for the like.

:nws: Oglaf again

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Talkc posted:

I just recently read something on this. Thats concept art for the villain to Treasure Planet 2. Which could have been a pretty cool movie, had traditional animated features not started floundering in the face of stuff like Pixar and Dreamworks.

The budget for the original film was astounding. And it was only a flop because they had spent an obscene amount of money on it. So basically the sequel sunk like ... well, a sinking ship.

It was basically the animated equivalent to Cutthroat Island. And proof that in this day and age stuff like Pirates of the Caribbean was a fluke.

Basically dont bet your house on a Pirate flick.

Treasure Planet is the closest thing we'll ever have to Spelljammer: The Movie.

I mean, look at these concepts. You cannot say that these guys wouldn't fit perfectly in an old D&D 2e monster manual.

And John Silver is this crazy cyborg bear-ish dude.

More here. That entire site is full of great concept art for big animation features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Does anyone have cool minotaur images? Specifically ranger-ish minotaurs.