Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This sounds doooooooooope

edit: please tell me it stars a young Ronald Reagan

Nah. Walter Huston, though, who also starred in Griffith's Abraham Lincoln.

Edit: here's my old review of it.

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sheldrake posted:

The best political movie is Gabriel Over the White House, a right wing fantasy made at the start of the Depression that posited how amazing the United States would be if the angel Gabriel took over the President's body and turned the country into a military dictatorship. It is completely sincere and totally bonkers.

I would like to watch this.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would like to watch this.

Looks like someone blocked it on YouTube, but here it is for sale on Amazon.

And I should correct myself since the film is also a left wing fantasy of the government saving everyone through total control and obedience; apparently FDR was even given a copy of the script and endorsed it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Supposedly it's even public domain, too.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Sheldrake posted:

The best political movie is Gabriel Over the White House, a right wing fantasy made at the start of the Depression that posited how amazing the United States would be if the angel Gabriel took over the President's body and turned the country into a military dictatorship. It is completely sincere and totally bonkers.

Whoa.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Noxville posted:

Geekboy make the fitness log

I will. First I need to figure out exactly what my goals will be and have five minutes at home to put it together. I've been really, really busy. I totally will, though.

22 Jump Street was absolutely hilarious. Holy loving poo poo. And now I want my ex to watch it because the bromance was so intense I actually felt like it gave me some perspective on that relationship.

That isn't really a joke.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Geekboy posted:

That isn't really a joke.

Geekboy.txt

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

Nah. Walter Huston, though, who also starred in Griffith's Abraham Lincoln.

Edit: here's my old review of it.

I forgot that you were the one who ran this site. This is a good site.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Vargo posted:

Geekboy.txt

Which is exactly why, when I've done standup, I've mostly just made people incredibly uncomfortable.

But it's what I was going for, so it wasn't a total failure.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are the new Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. I don't know if I'm joking or not either.

They shouldn't make a 23 Jump Street, but I would love to see more movies with those two.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sheldrake posted:

Didn't someone mention this quite recently, with someone in their class thinking that it was a real historical biopic rather than alternate reality?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Ew.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8apI6x2Qyg

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I'm so over goats. Normies have co-opted and ruined them.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

DNS posted:

I'm so over goats. Normies have co-opted and ruined them.

things lovers of ponies have been known to say.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jesus Christ the 30 minutes of Tammy I've been watching are some of the least funny and least entertaining 30 minutes of my life. I'm sorry to whoever has to review this for CR.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus Christ the 30 minutes of Tammy I've been watching are some of the least funny and least entertaining 30 minutes of my life. I'm sorry to whoever has to review this for CR.

Are you texting in the theater?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I thought he was talking about Tammy and the T-Rex and was about to bitch him out for not enjoying that movie.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

Are you texting in the theater?

He works at one, so I assume he was on break.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

He's not wrong.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yoshifan823 posted:

He works at one, so I assume he was on break.

Yup, this is it. Went in because nothing else I didn't want to see was playing, and yeah. Just garbage.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

GonSmithe posted:

I had a realization the other day, Melissa McCarthy is like the bizarro Michael Cera.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

I had a realization the other day, Melissa McCarthy is like the bizarro Michael Cera.

In terms of their particular wheelhouse, or in terms of how they get/pick roles?

Edit: someone should make a movie where Michael Cera plays Melissa McCarthy's son. Get on that, people of Hollywood.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really wish Melissa McCarthy would stop being in such lovely movies. She's in the rare position of being an overweight woman who Hollywood thinks can open a movie but she's just in the worst poo poo. I'd like to blame that on Hollywood and the types of roles they write for women like her, but I'm pretty sure she cowrote Tammy with her Husband who also directed the movie, so really this is all on her.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I talked about her a buncha pages back, but she could be a great actress who is really sincere in here roles if she didn't play a loving horrible human in every movie she makes.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Yoshifan823 posted:

In terms of their particular wheelhouse, or in terms of how they get/pick roles?

Edit: someone should make a movie where Michael Cera plays Melissa McCarthy's son. Get on that, people of Hollywood.

They're both fairly one-note, but in completely opposite ways: McCarthy's comically fat, Cera's comically skinny, she's brash and he's quiet, etc.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've said this a million times but, damnit, Cera did work really hard spending 2013 trying to work against the type of role he's always cast as and did a pretty fantastic job of it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Ten months from now we'll be talking about Michael Cera's nomination at the Tony Awards. Mark my words.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

axleblaze posted:

I've said this a million times but, damnit, Cera did work really hard spending 2013 trying to work against the type of role he's always cast as and did a pretty fantastic job of it.

I can only recall that cool thriller Magic Magic flick

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You're watching a NatGeo documentary, of course they're not going to go all-in on how creepy these people are, because they're initially broadcasting on some NatGeo channel. You can't show the extreme misogyny behind imported wives without disturbing a large portion of the audience, who only want to see an entertaining piece of information on the subject. The audience wants to be a little grossed-out because that's where the interest is, but they don't want to watch something too soul-crushing, in which case they'll simply turn it off.

Then why the gently caress make a documentary about it in the first place. Like, that's really not a subject you can kid-glove without it just coming off as really really... off. I Think We're Alone Now levels of creepiness are the baseline for it.

Also, best political film is Tetsuo: The Iron Man, suck it nerds

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

General Ironicus posted:

Ten months from now we'll be talking about Michael Cera's nomination at the Tony Awards. Mark my words.

No because that would require talking about the Tony Awards

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

General Ironicus posted:

Did you actually go see This is Our Youth? I have a ticket to see it a week from today, and I'm genuinely more excited for it than I was for all of the Broadway shows I saw this past week (aside from Hedwig because duh).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Whose her bizarro Jesse Eisenberg that stupid people will confuse with her?

General Ironicus posted:

When has this thread ever talked about the Tony awards?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Nobody ever marks my words :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Honest Thief posted:

I can only recall that cool thriller Magic Magic flick

He did Magic Magic, Crystal Fairy, This is the End and the fourth season of Arrested Development. In all of which he played completely different types of really irritating, unlikable douchebags. AD was obviously closest to what he was known for but even then he kind of made George Micheal alot more like his father.

He also did some really odd stuff on his youtube channel.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

General Ironicus posted:

Nobody ever marks my words :(

I dont want to gently caress up my monitor

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

spaceships posted:

things lovers of ponies have been known to say.

Well get those ponylovers an account.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GonSmithe posted:

Today's my birthday and I joked about wanting to see this for my birthday, but really, if I had to see this today, to review it or otherwise, that would be like my own personal hell.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

He did Magic Magic, Crystal Fairy, This is the End and the fourth season of Arrested Development. In all of which he played completely different types of really irritating, unlikable douchebags. AD was obviously closest to what he was known for but even then he kind of made George Micheal alot more like his father.

He also did some really odd stuff on his youtube channel.

I thought the Clark and Michael Show he did with Clark Duke way back in 2009 was pretty good in that vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

Whose her bizarro Jesse Eisenberg that stupid people will confuse with her?

I always felt like Eisenberg was a poor man's Michael Cera and have kind of resented that he's gone on to huge fame while Cera is sort of fading away. But I haven't seen The Double or Night Moves yet so I'll reserve final judgment until then.

• Locked thread