Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I... don't think I want to watch any more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
If that's immediately off-putting to you I'm not sure I recommend it, because there's a lot more of that... and worse.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

it's not any worse than Game of Thrones.

Here's a hint

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Is there any legal way even to watch Utopia in the US outside of buying the whole season on DVD from amazon?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I started watching Review based off a podcast recommendation and I'm quite enjoying it. Do comedy central have any other shows worth watching?

Despite being unable to track down one episode and the end of season special :airquote:online:airquote: I really enjoyed Friday Night Tykes for a look at the craziness that goes on in American Junior Sport. Is there any word of a second season?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I n regards to Utopia watching in the US, sadly I don't think so.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xcore posted:

I started watching Review based off a podcast recommendation and I'm quite enjoying it. Do comedy central have any other shows worth watching?

Really? Well I suggest starting with Nathan For You and Broad City. Workaholics, Inside Amy Schumer, Key and Peele, @midnight are all great too but definetly start with the first 2.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

Really? Well I suggest starting with Nathan For You and Broad City. Workaholics, Inside Amy Schumer, Key and Peele, @midnight are all great too but definetly start with the first 2.

Was your incredulation aimed at the fact I liked Review or that I didn't know that there was anything worth watching on Comedy Central? I'm an Aussie and don't get Comedy Central, the only things I've seen from them are The Daily Show/Colbert and South Park. I've heard good things about Workaholics, I'll check that out first.

I keep hearing about the awesome guests that appear on @Midnight and feel like I'm missing out. I'd love to find somewhere here to legally watch that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like Review then Nathan For You is very similar. I like both a lot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seconding Nathan For You and Broad City.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Is there any legal way even to watch Utopia in the US outside of buying the whole season on DVD from amazon?

You can wait for the sure to be superior American remake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drunk History is another great CC show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Reading Good Omens is funny because you can almost perfectly tell which characters are Gaiman's and which are Pratchett's because Pratchett's characters have a sense of humor and nuance to them while Gaiman's horsemen are all super cool and badass and evil and totally boring.

I'd say Crowley and Anathema show evidence of being both at the same time. Those are the two whose storylines seem so obviously mixed between both writers more or less equally.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, what Aphrodite said.

HBO has ordered a US version of Utopia to be executive produced and directed by David Fincher.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bown posted:

Seconding Nathan For You and Broad City.

Broad City is amazing. It's what Girls promised to be.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who is ready for the last of The Killing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7clobUQmQ

hope and vaseline posted:

Zuh? Alias never had that short of a title opening. Sometimes it skipped the opening completely, or the cold open would last for 20 minutes and then they would cut to it...
Alias had like a 15 second title opening, 24 had like a 5 second title opening, split the difference and you get 10 seconds.

xcore posted:

I was literally sitting at my desk at work today and thinking "I'm gonna ask TV couch chat what ever happened to American Gods tonight" and I come home to this news.

Fuller and Green is cool news too.

But Starz? Eeesh. That concerns me.

zoux posted:

Starz did Spartacus mate.
How was Ray Donovan?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 3, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Starz is doing Outlander in August, I really can't wait. :swoon:

That doesn't really have to do with anything, I just felt like sharing. I am hopeful that Starz learned something from the awfulness that was Camelot and will never do something that terribly again.

Edit: I started watching Utopia and I got to the chili pepper etc in the eyes and turned it off and never went back. :barf:

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 3, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

hollylolly posted:

Edit: I started watching Utopia and I got to the chili pepper etc in the eyes and turned it off and never went back. :barf:

In terms of gore that's definitely the most hosed up thing the show does. Don't give up on it yet! :smith:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Zaggitz posted:

In terms of gore that's definitely the most hosed up thing the show does. Don't give up on it yet! :smith:

Well, I mean, the most hosed up bit is like a minute after that, but yeah, that scene's the worst one in the show, violence-wise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are you guys forgetting they shot up a school?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rarity posted:

Are you guys forgetting they shot up a school?

I said in terms of gore not in terms of hosed up soul crushing poo poo happening.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I've never heard of the show. What is it about, beside killing children?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Clamknuckle posted:

I've never heard of the show. What is it about, beside killing children?

Its about a group of people who are superfans of a short lived comic book series getting pulled into a conspiracy.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
Ah ok that explains that clip a little.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

xcore posted:

I blasted through all of Broad City a couple weeks ago due to seeing it mentioned here a couple times and around the AV Club site. It's awesome and loving hilarious, couldn't recommend it more.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

xcore posted:

Was your incredulation aimed at the fact I liked Review or that I didn't know that there was anything worth watching on Comedy Central? I'm an Aussie and don't get Comedy Central, the only things I've seen from them are The Daily Show/Colbert and South Park. I've heard good things about Workaholics, I'll check that out first.

The latter. I'm a typical American and usually forget there are countries out there that aren't USA! USA!

For non-American's, Comedy Central has been on fire lately and has greenlit (and renewed) a lot of good shows. Being a cable network they can really go for niche, unusual programming that broadcast networks wouldn't touch with a 10 ft poll. Funny enough, I don't know if your aware but Review is based on an Australian show of the same name, which I have not seen.

To elaborate on some of my choices:

Broad City and Inside Amy Schumer are great comedies with a clear female voice. The analogy I like to use is if Workaholics is Entourage, then Broad City is Sex and the City...except both are actually way better. Workaholics does have a few shaky bits in the latter seasons but I still recommend it all the way through. I'd call Broad City the next step in female buddy comedies as it features a very realistic relationship between the leads as they try to navigate the perils of life in New York City. I was a 2 Broke Girls apologist for years until Broad City came along, now I'll never go back...sorry Irish Joe.

Nathan For You is unlike anything else on tv. It falls somewhere between prank show, sketch comedy and reality TV but that description doesn't do it justice. Nathan Fielder goes to various small business and offers them creative solutions to drum up business. Every episode is gold, but this is the sketch I would use to introduce someone to the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUY_i5Tco68

@midnight is a panel show that 'gets' the internet. Funny people say funny things about funny cat videos.

Finally I'd also add Drunk History to that list. Drunk people retell historic events in American History and it's recreated by top quality actors. Started out as a web series and it's much better than my description can give it credit for.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Drunk History is tremendous. My favorite one from the last season was Al Capone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzYJ1aDjhM

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

Drunk History is tremendous. My favorite one from the last season was Al Capone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzYJ1aDjhM

I basically just laugh through that entire segment every time I watch it. Will Sasso is perfect in that part, just laughing at all of Capone's poor decisions. Also,

Capone: "I wanna be called Snorky!"

Nurse: "We're gonna call you Scarface."

Capone: "...I wanna be called Snorky."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Not enough elaboration on Inside Amy Schumer, which is one of the best sketch shows running today. I'm assuming this clip (which is mostly uncensored) isn't region-blocked, I apologize if it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JPWGRt6gI

Look at that. Look it how it takes this dramatic situation, plays it mostly straight, but tilts it by five degrees to create an absurd situation. And then marvel at the way it sneaks through a comment on how women become complicit in their own subjugation.

I should also share this even though I'm sure it's region-blocked, because this is a blistering "gently caress YOU" to certain current events.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Inside Amy Schumer isn't nearly as insufferable as that review makes it sound. Its an okay sketch show, but I'd still recommend Key and Peele over Amy Schumer because K&P are much funnier and have more variety in their sketches.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

Nathan For You is unlike anything else on tv. It falls somewhere between prank show, sketch comedy and reality TV but that description doesn't do it justice. Nathan Fielder goes to various small business and offers them creative solutions to drum up business. Every episode is gold, but this is the sketch I would use to introduce someone to the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUY_i5Tco68

Everyone should watch this who hasn't seen the show before, not just xcore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zaggitz posted:

I said in terms of gore not in terms of hosed up soul crushing poo poo happening.

Now you guys are selling me on Utopia. You should have led with this stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Utopia will crush any faith you have in your fellow human beings like a loving bug. Also Lee and Arby are the best.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Utopia will crush any faith you have in your fellow human beings like a loving bug. Also Lee and Arby are the best.

It's not at all this bad. I'm on episode 5, it's certainly interesting and some characters are well-portrayed sociopaths, but if this crushes your faith in humanity, you must have barely had any faith to begin with. Also, it's barely gory. The torture scene is brutal but not to the point everyone describes.

It's good, but y'all should stop exaggerating how far it goes. It's not at all disturbing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Wait, Comedy Central's roasts are popular?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Franco one had 4.5 million viewers. Charlie Sheen had 6.4.

Roseanne bombed though, 1.4 million.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Ravane posted:

It's good, but y'all should stop exaggerating how far it goes. It's not at all disturbing.

You might want to wait until you've watched it all. It ends in a properly British manner: Bad guys win. Main characters end up dead or truly hosed. Everything they did was completely futile.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or Sopranos or any other prestige show Americans have watched for years.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Game of Thrones isn't over and Walt dies in the end. Deadwood is probably the best American example of a bad guy winning because Hearst rolls over everyone, gets everything he wants and departs town with a smirk on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Game of Thrones isn't over and Walt dies in the end. Deadwood is probably the best American example of a bad guy winning because Hearst rolls over everyone, gets everything he wants and departs town with a smirk on his face.

Yeah but the true bad guy of Breaking Bad, Skyler, survives.

• Locked thread