Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

E.Nigma posted:

Did the Ukrainian shot put team ruin it for you?

No it just kind of...

Avocados posted:

It pretty much feels like Call of Duty meets the Stalker universe, which is kinda fun, if only for a little while.

This.

your evil twin posted:

That's a criticism I don't undersand. In most videogames I've always felt that four or five bullets in the body feels about right. I guess that's because of years of playing FPS games like the Half-Life franchise. The enemies never felt bullet-spongey to me.

I always figure that if an enemy is wearing body armour or is some kind of alien or mutant creature then it is reasonable for them to be able to withstand several bullets.

Of course a headshot should be instantly lethal, unless they are wearing some kind of protection like a mask or helmet. (I know that in reality a helmet protects from shrapnel etc but can't save you from a bullet, but its reasonable in videogameland. Especially if it is some fancy sci-fi exosuit or something.)

If enemies die from 1 or 2 bullets to the body, then how can you have fun firefights? I like it when enemies yell in pain and run off to find cover and stuff. If they die in one or two bullets, you just mow them all down and they don't get to show off any interesting AI. No-one would have been impressed by Half-Life 1's revolutionary AI for the human grunts if the player had been able to mow them down before they hand a chance to react.

Well a normal bandit should go down in 1 or 2 shots depending on the gun, a merc or veteran should take 3 or 4, and then an Exo user should be able to take a lot more punishment. The same rules apply to you as well. Its unfair at points but I guess I like the challenge of being able to fight through a lot of guys, scavenge their gear, and then go back into the fray. There's a fine balance between a wild thrill and completely unfair though.

Granted, I also like putting a suppressor on my gun and taking them down Sam Fisher style. Maybe I just really don't like Clear Sky no matter what mod I put on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

your evil twin posted:

If enemies die from 1 or 2 bullets to the body, then how can you have fun firefights? I like it when enemies yell in pain and run off to find cover and stuff. If they die in one or two bullets, you just mow them all down and they don't get to show off any interesting AI. No-one would have been impressed by Half-Life 1's revolutionary AI for the human grunts if the player had been able to mow them down before they hand a chance to react.
Stalker attempts to level the playing field so that landing those few shots feels rewarding. It gives every action and combat item more weight when even a lowly pistol can be lethal against a well equipped but careless person. And then because of that you're forced to toy with the AI to get the advantage. (Like luring a mutant into a group of bandits so you can pick off them as they're distracted.) It is an incredibly hard tightrope to walk though. Stalker games are plagued with Ukrainian shotput teams and bandits who are able to headshot you across a lake with their 40% condition rusty AK on full auto, all while strafing left or right.

Monolith. posted:

I think the trio of games probably would have failed without the modding community, to be honest.
I'd like to think many of its sales came from Internet word of mouth because Stalker is more of the drunk criminal uncle of FPS games. It is cool to see the modding community do so well with what I consider my favorite shooter.

Monolith. posted:

Granted, I also like putting a suppressor on my gun and taking them down Sam Fisher style. Maybe I just really don't like Clear Sky no matter what mod I put on it.
I feel like Clear Sky has the potential to be a great game through mods, as it does explore some areas the two other games hardly touch on. But it's hard finding a mod that does all those things properly. For a while I was simultaneously doing a CoP and CS run. Going back to CS's bullet sponge gameplay hurt every time. The animations that came with non-fatal head-shots added salt to the wound because it looks like someone went up to them and slapped their helmet.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 29, 2014

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

A Great Supporter of Mounty Bob
I'll definitely try the Shoker mod but at the moment i'm loving the AO mod with Pripyat reborn. Almost to the point i was last time, it's a lot harder to make money and kit is hard to come by because of the massive repair costs but i'm doing all right. Playing it on master and the damage is spot on.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadBimber posted:

Doublepost: Two albums of Pripyat, prior to the 1986 explosion. There may be duplicates, I haven't had the time to look through either of them fully.

http://imgur.com/a/yYbG8
http://imgur.com/a/V4cZT

Whoa this is extremely my poo poo.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Monolith. posted:

No it just kind of...

This.

Well a normal bandit should go down in 1 or 2 shots depending on the gun, a merc or veteran should take 3 or 4, and then an Exo user should be able to take a lot more punishment. The same rules apply to you as well. Its unfair at points but I guess I like the challenge of being able to fight through a lot of guys, scavenge their gear, and then go back into the fray. There's a fine balance between a wild thrill and completely unfair though.

I think this is what you're looking for then: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

E.Nigma posted:

I think this is what you're looking for then: http://www.moddb.com/mods/arsenal-overhaul-clear-sky

I do like that mod but then I get to Limansk after dealing with the Red Forest and the space bubble and I'm just all Clear Sky'd out.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

MadBimber posted:

Doublepost: Two albums of Pripyat, prior to the 1986 explosion. There may be duplicates, I haven't had the time to look through either of them fully.

http://imgur.com/a/yYbG8
http://imgur.com/a/V4cZT

These are fantastic, its neat to see the construction of a planned city like this not to mention creepy to notice in game locations in the photos and think "Oh i shot a snork there"

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MISERY 2.1.1 was just released.

Among other fixes:

quote:

- Anabiotics work properly now
- All NPC types are slightly less resistant to bullets (especially lighter-armored ones)
- Additional optimization of textures to decrease memory usage
- Mechanics charge significantly more for repairs and give smaller discounts

Hang on, lemme go finish shutting off the Brain Scorcher.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 30, 2014

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

E.Nigma posted:

There's still a Pripyat Reborn addon in the Arsenal Overhaul downloads section.

Has anyone had trouble with the PR addon for Arsenal Overhaul? The combination of both is exactly what I'm looking for, I just wanted to make sure it's pretty stable.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

That's exactly the set up i'm using, so far without any glitches. Only problem i had was with Uncle Yar but that was sorted easily enough.

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

Edit: poo poo, mistaken post.
Edit 2: I'll make it into something useful - The stalker sub reddit is full of toss at the moment about the Areal catastrophe but there's an interesting thread about some sort of flooded underground bays someone found that look a bit like Sidorovich's bunker.

Meltdown321 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 30, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

- Disabled 'civilian zombies' from spawning as they tended to cause crashes
I guess fixing a feature would be too hard so let's just get rid of it entirely

quote:

- All NPC types are slightly less resistant to bullets (especially lighter-armored ones)
Hey if by "slightly" they mean "very significantly" it might make the combat at least half playable now!

quote:

- All 'unhealthy', 'toxic' and 'low quality' food and beverages lower actors health on usage
Haha nope they couldn't be bothered to change anything in the player's favor without doing this to make sure it's clear they aren't catering to the scrubs

I loved the graphics, sound and atmosphere in this mod so much. Why did they have to make it nigh unplayable too, and when not unplayable, incredibly annoying?

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
The food thing is idiotic. Why are they in the mod at all? No vendor would logically buy tainted food for any reason. No stalker worth his salt would be carrying it around. Are they only there to be found in stashes? As if finding stashes with nothing but soiled underwear and three dead bullets weren't bad enough, now the sandwich in it will kill you too. I kind of liked the silly amount of incidental food items, but now it really is just pointless bloat.

quote:

:what:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, the graphics and atmosphere is better. Just as long as you don't actually play and freeroam with cheats.

gently caress MISERY.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Misery 2 patched is really weird because it features the absolute best gunplay and actual stealth I've experienced in Stalker (you can seriously raid a warehouse Metal Gear Solid style) but everything else about it is super oppressive. It's like they're trying to fight that "power surge" that inevitably happens at the end of Zaton and the beginning of Jupiter, but in the most obnoxious difficulty padding system ever.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
http://www.moddb.com/games/neya-7/videos/neya-7-into-the-darkness-trailer-eng

Cry of Zone is still being made, so it appears. I hope you're all ready to "PREPARE TO ZONE".

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Avocados posted:

Misery 2 patched is really weird because it features the absolute best gunplay and actual stealth I've experienced in Stalker (you can seriously raid a warehouse Metal Gear Solid style)
Is there any way to get good stealth mechanics in CoP without installing Misery? I'll rip it out of the Misery files and copy/paste if I have to.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
SGM has a script in SGM_modules.script that basically looks at the time of the day and certain weather conditions and automatically changes the NPCs fov and eye range based on that info. It also accounts for scopes. This sort of thing is the most meaningful implementation of sight mechanics I've come across and it's no wonder it's also used in OGSE.

In my experience something like this makes a huge difference to stealth mechanics as it actually makes night time raids a worthwhile endeavour and is much simpler to implement rather than tweaking ill defined values that many people are not entirely sure what they are for.

Misery in general really needs to realize that it's not what people see or experience that is memorable in fiction, it's what is implied or understood. When I shoot that man in the head with a gun, he should die. There may be many practical reasons why he shouldn't but everything most people care about says 'he should be dead'

Most good games and other mediums are good because the audience buys into it and it sort of meshes well with their own expectations. The stealth implementation may be far, far less complicated than others but most people don't take into account how well an enemy can see through a bush or whatever they just know that the dark is good for hiding in, and the implementation makes it so.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Are suppressors taken into account as well?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I downloaded the new Misery and ran around a while and got in a few fights and killed some people including mercs in actual armor and it didn't seem to be prohibitively difficult to do with the cruddy Skorpion I started with so I had a pretty good time. :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I never really had any issues with Misery either, but it seems to turn some people into frothing maniacs. :ssj:

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

straight jerkers posted:

I downloaded the new Misery and ran around a while and got in a few fights and killed some people including mercs in actual armor and it didn't seem to be prohibitively difficult to do with the cruddy Skorpion I started with so I had a pretty good time. :shrug:

Wait until you get to Jupiter Factory. The difficultly of the firefights didn't annoy me as much as the orgies of mutants that made the game impossible. I had to fight 2 chimeras, 3 burers, a pack of dogs, a couple of zombie groups and a poltergeist at the same place. That's when I gave up on misery.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I never really had any issues with Misery either, but it seems to turn some people into frothing maniacs. :ssj:

Frothing is a bit of an exaggeration. I just don't like the mod very much. It has a lot of great ideas and I love the atmosphere, but new mechanics are implemented poorly and balance is all over the place. Technically it can also be a real beast, bringing really powerful machines to their knees, not to mention the instability and save corruption still present. Stutter can be such a problem that they wrote an in-lore explanation for it.

But that's ok, there's plenty of other mods out there :buddy: I've been playing some of Lost World Origin for SHoC and really digging it. I wish it had a proper English translation (only the major quests have been Google Translated and are often really confusing) because it feels like everything I wanted Lost Alpha to be excluding graphical improvements.

e: well ok maybe Ddraig should chill out a little bit but he's not wrong

Horns fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 2, 2014

Meltdown321
Jun 5, 2004

What's Autumn Aurora 2 like for SoC?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Meltdown321 posted:

:getin:

I'm rockin' an FAL and boy howdy ho am I wrecking poo poo.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Meltdown321 posted:

It's awesome. High damage guns, good graphics, unique models, and other good stuff. Make sure you read their moddb page all the way though as you need to remove a couple specific things like turning your steam overlay off and removing two .dll files otherwise it willc rash every time you try and run it.

Also you'll have to adapt to not being able to see your ammo count and having to lower your gun to use medkits and bandages.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The launch of 2.0 was a real huge letdown for us, we got super hyped thinking that more stuff was coming and everything already in was getting better the hype train was loving huge. Then they basically just give us more little fiddly bits, extra areas with very minor work done to make them worth even seeing, and a metric fuckton of bugs that they said they fixed but didn't and you can see why folks got really angry about the game. Especially Ddraig because he wrote fixes for some of the code but the misery team just discarded them.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun
Anyone else been following gunslinger mod? https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfKOTTO/videos

If it can do half the poo poo you see in the videos it will make any current weapon mod obsolete. So far the models and animations surpass any retail game.

- Animations for clearing jams,
- Dynamic magazines to check your ammo
- Animations for drinking water and vodka
- Multiple optic attachments like shoker mod

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

E.Nigma posted:

Anyone else been following gunslinger mod? https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfKOTTO/videos

If it can do half the poo poo you see in the videos it will make any current weapon mod obsolete. So far the models and animations surpass any retail game.

Is this the mod that showcased a player character hopping a fence and jumping on the charging handle of an AK to clear a jam? Because that was great.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I really want to enjoy Lost Alpha, but drat it if all the walking and the lack of items in missions is killing me. I slog through a radioactive tunnel system with no supplies left and my reward at the end is nothing. Wow, what a sense of accomplishment.

As a tip for anyone who wants to play it - don't expect to pick up any ammo or health underground. If you don't have a fuckton of what you need before heading into a lab or tunnel etc, spend the next 20 minutes walking back to a shop and buy some more. The same for repairing your stuff.

I mean sure, it makes sense from a "realism" perspective, but it's not much fun.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Vorenus posted:

Is this the mod that showcased a player character hopping a fence and jumping on the charging handle of an AK to clear a jam? Because that was great.

That was Shoker mod. It's out now if you want to give it a whirl, which I highly recommend because not only do you get a king's ransom of new weapons, but it also makes the game run much smoother (and I mean MUCH smoother) and IIRC the graphics are updated and look pretty spiffy.

My favorite new weapon is the flamethrower. Every STALKER game should have one, it makes fighting bloodsuckers so much more satisfying :getin:

e:

E.Nigma posted:

My jaw dropped when I saw those new animations. Holy crap, the weapons misfiring ones are so subtle but so well-done :allears:

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 3, 2014

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Vorenus posted:

That was shoker for CoP.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

E.Nigma posted:

As long as it comes with a bunch of new weapons like Shoker, I'm totally into this.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

That was Shoker mod. It's out now if you want to give it a whirl, which I highly recommend because not only do you get a king's ransom of new weapons, but it also makes the game run much smoother (and I mean MUCH smoother) and IIRC the graphics are updated and look pretty spiffy.

My favorite new weapon is the flamethrower. Every STALKER game should have one, it makes fighting bloodsuckers so much more satisfying :getin:

Sounds great, is the Valley of Whispers addon any good or should I just get Shoker? Flamethrower alone sounds great, I remember finding ammo for one in SGM but never the actual weapon.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

SGM has one, it is hilariously broken to the point of downing chimeras and bloodsuckers in under 15 seconds.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Vorenus posted:

Sounds great, is the Valley of Whispers addon any good or should I just get Shoker? Flamethrower alone sounds great, I remember finding ammo for one in SGM but never the actual weapon.

Synnr posted:

SGM has one, it is hilariously broken to the point of downing chimeras and bloodsuckers in under 15 seconds.

Wait. Wait. Where and in what version of SGM can I find this? I only played 2.2 and it was a huge headache at times so anything that lets me burn off some steam in that mod is something I want to get my hands on.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Wait. Wait. Where and in what version of SGM can I find this? I only played 2.2 and it was a huge headache at times so anything that lets me burn off some steam in that mod is something I want to get my hands on.

It looks like it may have been moved in 2.2, it isn't where I found it before. I see a couple files for it in the mod, but I have no idea where the game stores item spawn location IDs and/or how to pull that apart to locate it. I want to say that it becomes available to purchase from the special merchant guys at some point in 2.1 but its been awhile. I'm playing through 2.2 at the moment to see if any of the weird crash/save corruption errors I hit in 2.1 are still in so maybe I'll locate it! Barring that I see the lines for it in (I think) the right places in 2.1, I can try dropping it into some of the cache locations if I understand this correctly. I'm sure the people here who actually mod would have a better idea how this works though.

In 2.1, just run south of Yanov station, there is a tent in a little cluster of woods with some anomalies around the front. You gotta kind of peek into the corner to open a sack in there. If you hit the road going over the bridge you went too far. Its a pretty common area for the wandering burers and what not to be around as well. Video I looked at seems to make it even stronger than I recall (pseudogiant to the face, <2 seconds). It is pretty close range though.

E; Somehow I got to the stalker facebook page, it is pretty sweet. The russian LARPer type guys are great.

Also I have no idea how to make images do that expandable thumbnail thing so sorry in advance.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 3, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just installed SWTC + Shoker (well, less "installed" and more "blindly clicked my way through things until I ended up in Zaton") and noticed there are hitmarkers. How do I turn them off?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Synnr posted:

E; Somehow I got to the stalker facebook page, it is pretty sweet. The russian LARPer type guys are great.

The Polish fandom is p cool too.

Also a good source of lovely S.T.A.L.K.E.R. memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I was loving about with a retexture for a flamethrower waaaaay back when, If I recall correctly, in NS and perhaps stalker soup, you can choose a broken flamethrower as a mission reward, around the military warehouses, (freedom base), perhaps after defending the north exit.
then you have to go get some bits for it, and there, flamethrower.