Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wouldn't call this new album Death Grips "at their best." Maybe Death Grips "doing another Death Grips album."

There wasn't really anything new or unique about the last couple albums which is a shame because I got into them because they were doing something cool and different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fat Lou posted:

Fuuuuuck, Pitchfork is in two weeks. Why do you hate Chicago Death Grips?
I think Death Grips' indifference towards their fans is indiscriminate of area!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Overbite posted:

I wouldn't call this new album Death Grips "at their best." Maybe Death Grips "doing another Death Grips album."

There wasn't really anything new or unique about the last couple albums which is a shame because I got into them because they were doing something cool and different.

Yeah, I think DG peaked creatively after NLDW. Everything since that point has felt like retreads on the same idea, and I wish they had just tried something new instead of calling it quits entirely. I guess we're not getting that film soundtrack either :smith:

I feel like I would've been more bummed about this in 2012, but Clipping has kinda filled that void for me at this point. I hope Stefan Burnett continues to make music in some capacity.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The breakup does make sense. They don't like to deal with record labels, they don't like to do live shows, and it does seem like they've hit their creative conclusions with their song writing.

quote:

I hope Stefan Burnett continues to make music in some capacity.
Agreed, I hope he makes some appearances on rap albums at the very least.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mutation posted:

Agreed, I hope he makes some appearances on rap albums at the very least.

Feature on next kanye west album.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Since people are saying they've done this before I'm going to assume that this is just some kind of publicity stunt. So I'm not really losing my poo poo about this. Really lovely of them to cancel all of their gigs, though.

Where's the second half of TPTB? :colbert:

Franz von Dada fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 3, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Strangely enough, I love them more than ever for doing this.

Oh, MC Ride, why do I always go back to you? :bigtran:

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

:(

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
We're all having a sad cum :smith:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
yeah the band seemed to have hit a huge case of writer's block with their later stuff. exmilitary is loving awesome but the rest of their stuff was kind of eh...this was probably for the best.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think Death Grips' indifference towards their fans is indiscriminate of area!

I say that because the last time they stopped their tour was right at Chicago also. :(

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Catfish Noodlin posted:

So this was just posted on the Death Grips page on Facebook:

"we are now at our best and so Death Grips is over. we have officially stopped. all currently scheduled live dates are canceled. our upcoming double album "the powers that b" will still be delivered worldwide later this year via Harvest/Third Worlds Records. Death Grips was and always has been a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision. above and beyond a "band". to our truest fans, please stay legend."

Ah gently caress it all, everything's terrible :smith:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I saw all the posts and immediately thought MC Ride killed himself. I guess this is less bad.

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

echronorian posted:

I saw all the posts and immediately thought MC Ride killed himself. I guess this is less bad.

something something die a hero or live long villain.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

echronorian posted:

I thought they released Jenny Death. This is definitely way worse.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://instagram.com/p/p9-Sd3QBfn/

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Fantano's taking it well.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Laderhan posted:

We're all having a sad cum :smith:

Yeah this sucks in a big way. I'd probably have given a toe to see them live :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Franz von Dada posted:

I probably shouldn't think that's as hilarious as I do.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Yeah this sucks in a big way. I'd probably have given a toe to see them live :(

What's even worse is never seeing anything from Government Plates or Niggas on the moon live. That would of been insane to see.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

hahahahaha Trez is such a childish rear end in a top hat

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Pirate Jet posted:

"It's all about me," thinks Trenny Rezzo

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Franz von Dada posted:

Someone saved Fantano's life today.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

At the same time this is very disappointing, I can't say it's unexpected. Plus, as has been repeated, they've done poo poo like this before. Maybe they just really, really hate touring and think it's the easiest way to get out of it. Even if this is really the end of the band, at least they put out some cool poo poo to listen to.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, gently caress Trent for thinking Death Grips would remain an active band three weeks before the big tour. Didn't he know that Death Grips isn't a band, they're a conceptual art exhibition anchored by sound and vision?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'd bail before having to tour with Soundgarden too.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Watch them randomly release a new album in 2015.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Pirate Jet posted:

No, I don't think that's what's happening here. I mean, I don't care particularly about Trent Reznor, but that seems like a pretty sensible reaction to seeing your opening band (that has a history of being flaky) break up just a few weeks before the tour.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
He's probably being a bit facetious with the whole "I don't know why I thought they could keep it together" when really he should mean that completely un-ironically and should feel bad for booking them anyway.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
He sounds like he feels stupid for booking them and getting his hopes up. I don't see how that's unfair. Consider what it means for him, he has to get another band on board for a huge tour, or adjust what he does with his set.

This has to be a hard time to book with all the festivals going on and such short notice. I love death grips but I'm a little tired of them bailing on the live shows.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I feel for the guy, I'm just agreeing. I don't know what he was thinking.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Fantano's not taking it well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPTGO3PTY8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNzF0QzOWGo
Fantano discusses their rocky history, Trez's tweet, seeing them live, etc.

He also says he's not upset about them breaking up. Suuuuuuuuuure :mmmhmm:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

He really gave a Death Grips album a ten? Which one? I used to watch his vids every now and then but he's kind of full of poo poo sometimes

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The Money Store.

Which deserves a 10/10, really. That album was undeniably a well made, boundary pushing piece of sonic adrenaline.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

death grapes

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Yeah rip homeless yelling guy, drum penis man and ??? dude who no one remembers is apart of the group

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If you haven't yet, anyone who's a fan of this band should really check out "Church Gone Wild" which is Zach Hill's half of a Speakerboxx/TLB style split album from the two guys in Hella. It's a similiar noise assault style but applied to your usual drum/bass/guitar band but he also dials in some great jams and riffs too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you haven't yet, anyone who's a fan of this band should really check out "Church Gone Wild" which is Zach Hill's half of a Speakerboxx/TLB style split album from the two guys in Hella. It's a similiar noise assault style but applied to your usual drum/bass/guitar band but he also dials in some great jams and riffs too.

poo poo how have I not heard about that? Sounds cool as hell. One of my biggest problems with the "genre" is the lack of traditional instruments so that seems right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If you enjoy that proceed to Hella's "There's no 666 in outer space"

• Locked thread