Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Oi, I know I'm a bit late, but sign me up for whatever's left I suppose. I kinda wanted to grab a tank (7 signups for tanks and 8 slots are filled :() , but I guess that sniper team would be just fine to shoot myself in the foot with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

I'm gonna start chipping in on the pre-game by setting up an OPORD for dtkozl. Anyone up for labeling key terrain, buildings, and other features on the map? I can do it but I'll focus on this first and I'm not great with names (it'd all end up being greek mythology figures or something boring like that).

OPORD will follow the standard format, and I'll leave plenty of blanks to fill in.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm surprised we didn't get a 3rd infantry company. What will be the reserve? The heavy tanks?

(X)ing up for a HMG team . Can a HMG team be mounted on a tank? I recall from the last game the German HMG's were very static and didn't seem to amount to much. I'd say get the T34's mounting the SMG's to the
objective as soon as possible, using smoke to cover their advance so they don't have to stop for anything. In fact, would the T34's be fast enough to get the SMG's to attacking the German's movement into the objective? That would use their close range firepower better.

Name the waypoints and phase lines after Soviet General's and the buildings/objectives in our half of the board after Russian Cities and ones in the German side after German cities.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 3, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

RedFlag posted:

I'm gonna start chipping in on the pre-game by setting up an OPORD for dtkozl. Anyone up for labeling key terrain, buildings, and other features on the map? I can do it but I'll focus on this first and I'm not great with names (it'd all end up being greek mythology figures or something boring like that).

OPORD will follow the standard format, and I'll leave plenty of blanks to fill in.

As long as "clusterfuck" is the official designation of the block south of the rail station I'll be satistfied with the naming convention.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RedFlag posted:

Key terrain would be a lot easier if we had more than just a map preview to go by. Just a heads up, the Germans seem to have an easily accessible ford in D10 that is not marked as such on our maps.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

An OPORD framework will help give Dtkozl something to work with as he plans for mission execution and make sure we are all
on the same page. I'll keep it skeletal so folks can pitch in. Names for each of the fords/terrain features/etc
would be fantastic. I'll keep the military Jargon on a leash (no ASRs, EENT, or anything like that).

A running list of questions for Grey Hunter will follow in APPENDIX B.

I. SITUATION:

Soviet vs. German meeting engagement.

Soviet and German forces are attempting to advance on and hold a village railway station (OBJ ?) in an
unoccupied village.

A. Enemy Forces:

1. Weather and Light:
Unknown Ask Grey Hunter

2. Terrain:
a. River: Crosses map East to West. Cross-able at 5 points (#1-#6 left through right), evenly distributed along its
length.

b. South Bank (river through south): Open terrain with patches of medium vegetation.
i. Swamp: East side. Difficult terrain for vehicles.
ii. Middle Forest: Medium vegetation will impede sight-lines. Extends North/South axis to East, East/West to West.
iii. German Start Area: Victor exit faces east to open ground. Closest fords are #1, #2 and #3.
iv. Russian Start Area: Victor exit faces northwest. Forest to West provides concealment a good way North. Closest fords are #4 and #5.

c. North Bank (river through north): Village. Light buildings and farmland.
i. East/West axis: Crossed by the rail and a road. Vegetation/farmland/buildings can obstruct line of sight.
ii. South/North axis: Crossed to West by a road.
iii. South/North axis: Crossed to West by a road.
iv. Rail Station: On north side of town. East/South sides light vegetation. Farmland to West. One outbuilding South

side, multiple builds north side to offer infantry cover/defensive positions.

3. Enemy:
a. Composition: Unknown (we should get some info before we start here, right?)

b. Disposition: Are deployed to South West of town in German Start Area.

c. Strength: Unknown (similar to our own?)

d. Most likely course of action:

TBA

e. Most dangerous course of action:

TBA

B. Friendly Forces:

1. Higher Mission:
Take Rail Station against opposing German Force. Take minimal casualties while inflicting maximum casualties.

2. Higher Commander Intent:
Insert back-story here? Kill the Germans!

I. Friendly forces in Area of Operation:
i. Composition: See Appendix A.
ii. Disposition: Formed up in Russian Start Area, South East of Objective.

II. Support:
Organic artillery. See Appendix A.

II. MISSION

Seize and hold the railroad station.

(State this twice in your head like a good soldier).

III. EXECUTION

A. Concept of Operation:
To be determined by our good comrade dtkozl!

1. Maneuver:
CO's discretion.

B. Tasks to maneuver units:
CO's discretion.

C. Tasks to combat support units:
CO's discretion.

D. Coordinating instructions:
CO's discretion.

IV. SERVICE SUPPORT:

A. General:
CCP (Casualty Collection Point) will be established after the battle. Don't get shot soldier!

B. Material and Services:

1. Supply:
Platoon sergeant, squad and team leaders will redistribute ammo if needed.
No tank ammunition resupply available.
No artillery munition resupply available.
(Do the trucks hold any sort of resupply)?

2. Transportation:
Tanks may be used to transport troops, but watch out for becoming a target. One truck per infantry company.

C. Close Air Support:
Unavailable.

D. Fire Support:
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25)
8 x 82mm Mortars, BM-43 (4x per infantry company)

E. Medical Evacuation:
Is this a joke?

F. Miscellaneous:
None.

V. COMMAND AND SIGNAL

A. Succession of command:
dtkozl is in overall command of this mission.
See appendix A for further details.

B. SIGNALS:
I defer to dtkozl how he wants to handle unit naming/terminology. Probably something simple for Grey Hunter so we don't confuse him and get shot to hell! Might be some room for personal creativity here though?

IE
i. Callsigns:
1'1'0 tatankatonk's ...
1'1'1 dublish's ...
1'1'2 RedFlag's Spearchuckers
1'1'3 AceBuckey13's ...
And so on...

ii. Method of Communication
By webforum post, silly.

iii. Pyrotechnics and Signals:
Not required.

iv. Codewords
Ok, some of the are redundant. Germans stay out!

v. Challenge and password:
Nah

vi. Running Password:
OH poo poo DYING HELP

APPENDIX A: MISSION TO&E

1st Battalion
Headquarters Team (BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

Infantry Gun Battery (light)
4 x 76mm Infantry Gun (OB-25) (SUBORDINATE TO BATTALION COMMANDER--dtkozl) [x]

1st Rifle Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--tatankatonk) [x]
Sniper Team (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Tetrakarn) [x]
1st Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--dublish) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedFlag) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 squads infantry, 1 sniper team, 1 scout team, 1 flamethrower team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--AceBuckeye13) [x]
Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Kaisloc) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Davin Valkri) [x]
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Hob Gadling) [x]
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (tatankatonk) [x]

2nd SMG Company
Headquarters Team (COMPANY COMMANDER--Herp Derp) [x]
1st Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--brakeless) [x]
2nd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--RedLobster) [x]
3rd Platoon (3 SMG squads, 1 Tank Hunter team) (PLATOON COMMANDER--Willie Tomg) [x]
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--
Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Comstar)
Antitank gun Team (76mm Antitank gun) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Jaguars!) [x]
Truck (Studebaker) (SUBORDINATE TO SUPPORT COMMANDER)

Mortar Platoon [Medium] (4x82mm Mortars, BM-43) (Herp Derp) [x]

3rd Tank Company
HQ Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (COMPANY COMMANDER--The Merry Marauder) [x]
1st Heavy Tank (IS-2 (mid)) (TANK COMMANDER--Asehujiko) [x]

HQ Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--uPen) [x]
1st Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--duckfoot) [x]
2nd Light Tank (T-70M (M1943)) (TANK COMMANDER--Simplefish) [x]

HQ Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Gamerofthegame) [x]
1st Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Krysmphoenix) [x]
2nd Medium Tank (T-34-85) (TANK COMMANDER--Grumio) [x]

APPENDIX B: QUESTIONS FOR GREY HUNTER

1. What are the weather/light conditions for this engagement?
2. What do we know of the German T&E?

Edit away as needed!

RedFlag fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 3, 2014

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Clearly we need to use the Top Gun callsign generator

e: I got Panama, HELL YEAH

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 3, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Couple of things for my T-70 buddies

As scout tanks, we might be tempted to deny that the button up command exists.

HOWEVER

You'll notice we are a crew of 2. The commander is also the gunner (and despite the low calibre we have nice canister rounds and thing) so if he gets sniped/sprayed or otherwise slaughtered, you are a set of wheels and a rolling distraction, nothing more.

So if you start taking fire, unless there's a VERY good reason not to, close that hatch.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

Done.

Jaguars!, uPen, what say you?

Give Jaguars the tank, I'll hang out as a backup for when someone drops.

e: Or take Jaguars AT gun.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
We will name points of interest on the map after pokemon. This came from Stalin, he is a huge fan.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

dtkozl posted:

We will name points of interest on the map after pokemon. This came from Stalin, he is a huge fan.

Name Russian/Soviet side points of interest Ursaring, Snorlax, Beartic for major ones; Teddiursa, Munchlax, Cubchoo for minor ones.

Name German side points of interest Rattata, Zigzagoon, Patrat for major ones; Pidgey, Taillow, and Hoothoot for minor ones.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Gonna nickname 3rd Platoon Ace's Arsonists. There's a reason Comrade Stalin gave us the flamethrower! :ussr:

Edit: Alternatively, if we're going the Pokemon route, Ace's Arcanine's. Same concept, but now with giant fiery lion/dog things! :v:

Davin Valkri posted:

Name Russian/Soviet side points of interest Ursaring, Snorlax, Beartic for major ones; Teddiursa, Munchlax, Cubchoo for minor ones.

Name German side points of interest Rattata, Zigzagoon, Patrat for major ones; Pidgey, Taillow, and Hoothoot for minor ones.

We could always go the alphabetical route. Abra, Bagon, Chansey, Ditto, Ekans...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

We could always go the alphabetical route. Abra, Bagon, Chansey, Ditto, Ekans...

...Flygon, Golem, Haunter, Ivysaur, Jumpluff, Koffing, Lapras, Moltres, Natu, Onix, Pikachu...that's actually probably a better idea.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You guys can name your poo poo whatever you want. I think grey is going to name the officer in charge after your nick as you can do that in game, but I don't know. I think I got the plan pretty settled I'll wait for a few last sign ups and post some pics with the plan tomorrow probably.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, I'm going to name the commanders after the goons.

Weather will be normal.

The Germans are reconfiguring their forces a bit, due to Unwantedplatypus not owning/never having played the game, but it should not take to long.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I think in terms of T&E if I was the German player I would consider the forest fortress critical. A Soviet presence there would expose my entire battle order. I would look to shell or at least smoke up the forest fortress area and push my main thrust through one or both of the western crossings.

The closer crossing looks like marshy ground from the map so it would be very much a decision of do I gamble and try to push my armor through there to quickly get at the objective. Or do I play it safe and take the westernmost crossing which would cost extra time.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Can't we screen the LM ford with armor while most of our force takes the P ford? Some of our tanks are going to have to drive over to M10 anyway so they can get LOS on the germans crossing the river.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

1st Platoon/1st Company/1st Battalion: Should Have Been Purged.

I'm excited for this. I vote we all attack straight west from the start point. It's the last thing they'll expect.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

dublish posted:

I'm excited for this. I vote we all attack straight west from the start point. It's the last thing they'll expect.

I'd like to do that, but the map looks like we wouldn't be able to see them until they have mostly crossed the river, and anything we send across ourselves would be to far away to help.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Still if we could catch them mid-stream from behind...

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Well poo poo, I spend one day out and miss the dibs rush. I was signed up for a tank so if any (non-T70 - adorable yes but effective ehhh) tanks left I'll take one of those, else I'd like to nab a marksman/sniper unit. Also this is going to be awesome. :getin:

edit: i'm also just a little sad that we couldn't get a KV2. :(

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 3, 2014

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I've imported our map into roll20, which allows our commanders to put up real time directions and names on the map with an inbuilt chatroom, with archive, all stored serverside. It's a p&p game simulator so it also has support for text files for use as character sheets, for which I can set up multiple owners so I can make a "character sheet" for each position editable by that player and their superior to serve as a place for orders.

It's free and better yet, invite only so send me an email at username underscore at hotmail dot com and confirm it's you in this thread so I can hook you up with the invite url. dtkozl, if you want to be admin of the room, just ask. Grey himself is of course also welcome to take a look.

Roll20 accounts can be acquired here: https://app.roll20.net/account/create

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jul 3, 2014

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The lessons from the last battle seemed to be:

Don't split your forces. The Axis did this, and was defeated individually, was completely unable to support each other's attack, and the half of the infantry than ran across the entire map were exhausted before making contact. No plan should work on the assumption of getting past half way across the map before the battle is decided.

Don't send your forces through hedgerows or long trips to the other side of the map. Infantry takes a long time to get through hedges. Not too much of a problem with this map, but I would suggest we get the T34's and light tanks to carry an infantry company as far as possible towards the objective.

Keep the infantry spread out. Infantry companies dosn't need to bunch up to support each other.

Don't forget where your artillery is targeted and walk into it. If we call in artillery, Battalion needs to mark it on the map each turn with an ETA and make sure we don't walk into it.

Don't split the tanks up so they are unsupported. The Allied tanks were each able to move and cover each other once contact was imminent (apart from the scout tanks). Stopped tanks will shoot moving tanks and the first one shooting has the advantage. The last left with tanks wins, it's not a race.

Don't let the scouts roar off alone. Our scouts are not disposable assets. It's not much use knowing where the scout has his grave and that's it. The US in the last map lost it's southern scout tank early and had no idea there was an entire German company going south (though it ended up in exhaustion and disaster). Don't rush forward out of support from the people behind you.

Don't send your tanks into areas that may bog them. That swamp looks really bad for our tanks, do not send the heavy tanks near it, and for that matter, they shouldn't need to cross the river or go near it anyway. Keep them back and on this side of the river, they have a good view across to the town and will get flanking shots of any Panzers headed towards the objective. The scout tanks should try and cross first one at a time to see if it's passable for any tanks at all.

Tanks should be unbuttoned. Tankers can't see poo poo buttoned up, and unless you get really unlucky, the TC will not be shot first. The German's won't have pre-placed infantry or AT guns, so if we can get tanks to the other side of the river, the danger will be from short range AT rockets they need to be able to shoot first, as long as we can keep cover between us and their deployment zone (I fear they will be put some 88's overlooking the town. One 88 with view of the town is going to mean our advance will stall completely until we get some artillery on it).

Infantry shooting at tanks from the side with rifle fire can help. It will force Panzer Tank Commanders to button up, and hopefully allow our tanks to kill them. Don't stand up in front of them, but if you are out of their direct arc, forcing the TC to put his head down will make their day much worse. Unless we get a dismounted Tiger crew from hell who wipe out an entire platoon with 1 SMG and 3 Lugers.

Tanks, platoons and support need to post movement orders on a map. If Grey Hunter can misinterpret your written orders, he will. This is your fault. Post maps showing your movement in colour (use the same colour as the game does for it). Company commanders should provide general orders, but only one arrow, if that.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
The map on roll20:

Text got butchered by imgur, it's much clearer in roll20 itself and all those labels are editable and removable.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Asehujiko posted:

I've imported our map into roll20, which allows our commanders to put up real time directions and names on the map with an inbuilt chatroom, with archive, all stored serverside. It's a p&p game simulator so it also has support for text files for use as character sheets, for which I can set up multiple owners so I can make a "character sheet" for each position editable by that player and their superior to serve as a place for orders.

It's free and better yet, invite only so send me an email at username underscore at hotmail dot com and confirm it's you in this thread so I can hook you up with the invite url. dtkozl, if you want to be admin of the room, just ask. Grey himself is of course also welcome to take a look.

Awesome idea- email sent.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Map looks fantastic.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Grumio added to roll20.

Somebody also sent me an an email claiming to be TehKeen, can you confirm that that is you?

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

that's me!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Hey, here's a thought-I know it's been mentioned that infantry can hitch rides on tanks, and some of the most useful infantry (Flamethrower Teams) are also the slowest. Would it potentially be worth it to load up some of the light or medium tanks with either Flamethrower or SMG teams to send into the town to try and grab an early foothold? Also, gonna try to register on Roll20 in a sec.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Unfortunately, flamethrowers have the range of a hurled sofa and the endurance of an obese person sprinting in the High Sierras.

They can't go anywhere alone.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Merry Marauder posted:

Unfortunately, flamethrowers have the range of a hurled sofa and the endurance of an obese person sprinting in the High Sierras.

They can't go anywhere alone.

They wouldn't be alone, they'd have the tanks with them! :v: I see what you mean, though. How many people can tanks carry, anyway? Would it be possible to send an entire platoon up with them, or only enough troops to not make it worth it?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It depends on the tank, for simple handhold real estate reasons. Obviously, Uncle Joe won't be used in this role, but the T-34s could get a platoon across - thought they might need a T-70 to pick up stragglers, I haven't checked.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Can infantry sit on the light tanks? I imagine they can deal with the marsh much better and could get us lodged firmly in the objective if they were carrying infantry.

Otherwise it might be best to keep the light tanks as covering fire while the important stuff moves into place across the river.

Or we could charge West.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

My company would like the assistance of the tanks for transportation to the objective. Also, I think we should take the centermost ford. The krauts won't expect it, we'll all get there safely.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hey, anyone who wants a ride on the back of my tank gets a free ride.

I need to come up with a silly name for the tank now that I think of it. Something suitably Russian.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Roll20 character sheets have been re-appropriated as order forms:

Unit names all taken from RedFlag's OPORD. Only change is that the two mg teams in 2nd co have been numbered 1st(no commander as of yet) and 2nd(Comstar)

Etiquette: Most recent orders at the top, mark them with the turn they're meant for.

HerpicleOmnicron5, can you confirm that it is you who mailed me?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

P&P sims like this usually allow you to move tokens around on a map, which I am always thrilled to do. Email sent, count me in.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:welp: all the units have been claimed as far as I can tell, guess i'm sitting this one out

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I thing there's a hmg team left unclaimed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Also I think a few people might have multiple units, so we can adjust things around.

Asehujiko, sent you an e-mail for Roll20.

• Locked thread