Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Internet people are starting to notice that Alison Brie hasn't tweeted anything Community-related since the pick up. Internet people are prepping to go into full-panic mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TealShark posted:

Internet people are starting to notice that Alison Brie hasn't tweeted anything Community-related since the pick up. Internet people are prepping to go into full-panic mode.

Probably pissed she had to turn down whatever jobs she lined up when the cancellation was a sure thing. She, Jacobs and Pudi are locked in, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one "mutually agreed upon departure" before the season starts.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Irish Joe posted:

My gut reaction to the renewal is similar to yours. This is clearly a bad idea and you'd expect everyone on the cast (and Harmon) would be eager to move on to bigger and better projects. But then you hear about how instrumental Harmon and McHale were in the show's renewal and wonder, "what are they getting out of it?" Are they really in love with the show? Do they think its renewal--on Yahoo! of all places--will benefit their careers? Or is this simply a desperate move by two middle aged men who prefer stability and a known quantity over the development process?
Aaaand you lost me.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Irish Joe posted:

Probably pissed she had to turn down whatever jobs she lined up when the cancellation was a sure thing. She, Jacobs and Pudi are locked in, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one "mutually agreed upon departure" before the season starts.

Well it hasn't been THAT long since the show was officially canceled. Did she really get something lined up that fast? Or are you implying that someone would've quit before season 6 regardless of cancellation?

Either way, lazy-speculation aside. I'd imagine that the idea of trying to have the entire season ready to go streaming at once would mean it'll take a lot less time to film. Even if that is a very, very lofty goal since they want to be good to go by the fall.

fakeedit: Also, the Internet? Panicking? Why, I never!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My name is Joe and I'm half-Irish, and neither of those things feel awesome right now.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

El Tortuga posted:

Either way, lazy-speculation aside. I'd imagine that the idea of trying to have the entire season ready to go streaming at once would mean it'll take a lot less time to film. Even if that is a very, very lofty goal since they want to be good to go by the fall.

I assume the episodes from each previous season were filmed mostly back-to-back as well? I mean there isn't much reason not to, or is there?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

MrAristocrates posted:

I don't think anything is true of Britta now that wasn't true in Season 3. I love Season 3 Britta, though. Saying she's just now getting too stupid is strange.

I actually cannot comprehend how anyone could think Britta is too stupid now after season three. She was literally a step-up in season four.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Floor Is Lava episode showed the value of Britta, if nothing else. Plus she was goddamn hilarious in the Textbook Stash negotiations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just watch the season again if you hated it. Marathon it. If you still hate it, I'll listen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty drat sure all Season 5 dislike comes from three bad episodes at the end souring the ten great episodes leading into that.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Irish Joe posted:

My guess is that she'd be the one most likely to leave over actually having a chance at a movie career. YNB might as well leave, because they're giving her almost nothing to do on the show to the point where it's getting insulting. Joel McHale and Gillian Jacobs both seem to like the show too much to leave. I'd say the same goes for Danny Pudi, and I'm thinking he'd have the hardest time finding work. Jonathan Banks probably won't return. Ken Jeong said he'd never leave the show and John Oliver said he'd return if he could, but they both have their own shows now, so who knows.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Season 5 was perfectly awesome but the one thing they couldn't do is pull off legitimately heart-warming moments quite like they did before. There are a handful of good ones, mostly involving Troy's departure, but Abed thinking the floor really was lava or the Hickey/son relationship were basically rushed failures.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One hopes that given the nature of the deal and how they'll air that they can schedule the filming a bit more flexibly than with general TV creation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty drat sure all Season 5 dislike comes from three bad episodes at the end souring the ten great episodes leading into that.

There was also the fact that they had an overarching plot (at least in theory) but they didn't really reference it outside of the premier and the finale (and the one episode where they trade favors to everyone).

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

computer parts posted:

There was also the fact that they had an overarching plot (at least in theory) but they didn't really reference it outside of the premier and the finale (and the one episode where they trade favors to everyone).

Yeah, true, but Anthropology was barely a part of season two. Season three had the most instrumental overarching plot - and even that had episodes where the only involvement was the Dean going "Troy uh btw please join the air conditioning school".

Funnily enough I think the best continuing thing in Community was Pierces arc and use in season two - though it was much less of a driving story thing.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Mazda is celebrating the return of Community :haw:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MikeJF posted:

I loved the penultimate episode, but it was seriously the least accessible thing I've ever seen.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked the finale, it was the middle stretch and the season's weak premise that bothered me. Repilot is easily the worst episode of the series. D&D2 was bad for all the reasons the first D&D episode was good. Lava was bad, Meowmeowbeanz forgettable. And the less said about GI Joe, the better.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Irish Joe posted:

I liked the finale, it was the middle stretch and the season's weak premise that bothered me. Repilot is easily the worst episode of the series. D&D2 was bad for all the reasons the first D&D episode was good. Lava was bad, Meowmeowbeanz forgettable. And the less said about GI Joe, the better.

The only reason Meowmeowbeanz worked for me is because literally less than a day before I watched it, I showed my wife LOGAN'S RUN for the first time. Seeing them nearly back to back is Great.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Irish Joe posted:

Hello. I liked all the shows you didn't. You sure like to write a lot about a show that you don't seem to like very much. Well, see ya later!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meatwave posted:

You sure like to write a lot about a show that you don't seem to like very much.

Do you know what thread this is?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Meatwave posted:

Hello. I liked all the shows you didn't. You sure like to write a lot about a show that you don't seem to like very much. Well, see ya later!

No problem. Differences of opinion create discussion. Have a nice day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MikeJF posted:

For real, the VCR game episode was one of the top 5 they've ever done in my mind.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For real, the VCR game episode was one of the top 5 they've ever done in my mind.

And the episode with Duncan trying to woo Britta at the fundraiser? You get Britta characterization AND a crazy Chang subplot!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ETB posted:

And the episode with Duncan trying to woo Britta at the fundraiser? You get Britta characterization AND a crazy Chang subplot!

I know it wasn't this episode, but Bear Down for Midterms might have been the best Chang plot since season 1.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Breaking Bad plot in that one was fun but I hated the VCR part. It's funny how divisive this show is, even among its fans.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked Repilot and wish they'd stuck with that idea and tone for the whole of the season. I also liked the fourth season of Arrested Development. I guess I just don't feel like comedies need to be funny.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Fat Dog for Mid-Terms" is the hardest I've ever laughed at the show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I loved Chang's "It's not made up! It's not made up!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, I think that was my favorite moment.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"Old Timey Photo Club" had me in stitches.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MrAristocrates posted:

Not as much as the Dean singing in French or rapping in the Payday outfit.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

FactsAreUseless posted:

I loved Chang's "It's not made up! It's not made up!"

"Is it a racial thing?" :cry:

:laugh:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

My first laugh out loud line of the season came in the first episode:

"Sir, I have to ask you to leave the concierge desk!"

Though I did chuckle out of "...and asbestos reasons." before that. My show was back.

I thought Meow Meow Beanz was just too frenetic when I first saw it. I went back and watched it again, and I absolutely adore it now. As a fan of Story Structure and Harmon massaging the fourth wall with it, I loved the penultimate episode. And the last episode was about as meta as you could possibly get, which I enjoyed a great deal, but I understand if people found it off putting. It was directly about what had happened, and what was happening, with the show itself.

Cork-Based Networking is probably my least favorite episode of the season. Fat Dog wasn't as amusing to me as it was to some others. Which is fine, there's more than enough good stuff in the season to make it work.

Community has admittedly lost a bit of its luster. All shows that get to this point lose their novelty level, and it gets harder and harder to stop yourself from falling into old beats. But Community is still capable of making episodes that are at least contenders for "the best thing on TV," which very few shows, new or old, can still say. I was resigned to it being cancelled and had accepted it, but hey, it's good to have it still around.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bown posted:

the Hickey/son relationship were basically rushed failures.

I can see how that one was a little rushed, but it still felt like it worked. Why do you think it was a failure?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really liked Cooperative Polygraphy, if only for Goggins delivery, and it's totally something Pierce would do to gently caress with them.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I hope they didn't throw out that little sign outside of the studio where the show shoots that read "Community (2009 - )".

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
There are literally people in this thread who think that season 5 was worse than season 4. That's how bad this thread is. And now I'm stuck reading it for another year at least.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

MrAristocrates posted:

This was by far the best joke of Season 5 and even if the rest of the season sucked (which it didn't) it would be worth it for that joke alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I should've mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I wanted to add to the "Alison Brie hates Community and wanted the show to be cancelled the entire time" discussion that she was the one trying to get all the fans to tweet "#sixseasonsandamovie" every day at 4 PM, so I really don't think her Twitter behavior is as clearly anti-Community as some would like to believe.

• Locked thread