Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

This is Noah Buttes!
Noah Buttes is wearing a Trashy Noah Buttes flesh jumpsuit.
Noah Buttes has a slag shovel in his right hand.
Noah Buttes has Trashy Noah Buttes flesh Latex Gloves on his hands.

:black101:

e: holy poo poo, Jewel! Howdy.

Wait can you deglove yourself in SS13?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If someone breaks into your workspace and is being a shitler and won't leave if asked politely and resist dragging/are aggressive or very ruinously lovely, a non-fatal toolboxing is probably kosher, the biggest potential pitfall is if they decide to come back and escalate.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Obligatum VII posted:

Things I learned tonight:
-Matter Eater does not let you eat corpses
-Matter Eater DOES allow you to grab something and then eat the grab, which apparently counts sufficiently as its own object. Eating the concept of your grab naturally results in the grab ending. I am just sad that you can't target things other people are holding, or it'd be a really funny way to get out of a grapple.

I could have sworn that Obesity+Matter Eater let you eat corpses, but last time I tried it a few nights ago, it did not work.

jyrque posted:

This actually reminds me of a round where I, as a geneticist, were butted off my own computer console by a nontraitorous staff assistant. I couldn't really do my work but I also wasn't sure if I could just bonk him over the head to reclaim my seat of genetic power. I very well know I can't use lethal means to get rid of him but is there really anything I could do in that case other than call the (useless and dead by then) security? Or in general: if someone directly disables you from doing your role specific work, what can you do?

fake edit: no, asking nicely did not work.

Many good Geneticists/Roboticists make a solemn pact: The roboticists supply the geneticists with much-needed flashes for self-defense, the geneticists give the roboticists the first corpse or two that show up.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

This is Noah Buttes!
Noah Buttes is wearing a Trashy Noah Buttes flesh jumpsuit.
Noah Buttes has a slag shovel in his right hand.
Noah Buttes has Trashy Noah Buttes flesh Latex Gloves on his hands.

:black101:

e: holy poo poo, Jewel! Howdy.

Hello, Cogwerks! I've been here and there, looking around. I just don't really post or play much any more. I haven't really done any development in.. quite some time! Sorry about that! It's partly due to personal projects and university, but also partly because Australia's internet and ping ended up getting to me and the game just wasn't really fun any more with so much delay. I might get back into things when I move overseas soon, who knows. Glad to know people still remember me; though! I was hoping to get the same job as Supernorn recently got but I applied way too late and they got swamped with applications. Maybe another time.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Orv posted:

Wait can you deglove yourself in SS13?

You can do far more than that, it is possible to integrate your flesh into the tiles, walls and even a pod. This is truly the age of osha.jpg

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

jyrque posted:

This actually reminds me of a round where I, as a geneticist, were butted off my own computer console by a nontraitorous staff assistant. I couldn't really do my work but I also wasn't sure if I could just bonk him over the head to reclaim my seat of genetic power. I very well know I can't use lethal means to get rid of him but is there really anything I could do in that case other than call the (useless and dead by then) security? Or in general: if someone directly disables you from doing your role specific work, what can you do?

fake edit: no, asking nicely did not work.

If he's been hanging around Medbay and doing his job*, call the Medical Director, who gets a tranquilizer rifle for the express purpose of subduing anyone who decides to be a poo poo in Medbay. You can even use the Medical headset channel to keep your request off the open radio. If the Medical Director isn't around, try asking the Roboticist for an extra flash (Robotics has tons) or getting your hands on one some other way, since people usually get the message if you flash them and throw them out while they're stunned (and maybe rough them up a little if they've been a real pain). If neither of these is doable, you can try beating them with a toolbox as long as you don't kill them. If the person is really being a dedicated shitlord, the table right outside Genetics has straitjackets, muzzles, and tranquilizer syringes, all of which can cut down on their troublemaking for a while.

*This never happens

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

That was one of the best spy rounds I've ever seen, but I might be biased from my perspective.

I spawned as a normal detective, got geared up a bit and within a few minutes someone is yelling 'HELP AT OWLRY', you know how it goes. I roll down there and find a scientist chasing a bleeding captain, repeatedly hitting him with a syndie dagger down the main hall a few paces. Capt looked in bad shape, all I had was a flash and my lethally-loaded pistol. I decided I had to save the capt and gunned Random rear end in a top hat down a bit, followed up with flashes, took his full injector and dagger and berated him a bit for not just mindslaving the Capt. "But he was one of my targets!"

Mindslave, suicide order. I've had it happen to me.

So I let the HoS and some other sec guys know what happened, and the equipment I had grabbed, I even threw the implanter down next to the HoS. He didn't seem to care, so I kept it and meandered around a bit, eventually ending up down by mechanics. Traitor engineer, Hayden, managed to get me down and implant me. I let him know what I had from the other traitor, and he ordered me to subvert sec, act like I was the spy, let them know not to attack him by saying I already implanted, and to go buck wild and try to permabrig as many people as possible.

I got the HoS and three other sec guys, we were having a chat as I was instructing them and another sec player came in. Sorry buddy, you gotta go. Capt was in the NE tunnels where we murdered said sec so I went after him with the dagger and took care of him too. Cue thirty minutes or so of sec just subjugating the station, brigging many, electric chairing some and even getting them into the test chamber to burn and suffocate after Hayden mentioned it was hot in there.

Lots of good fight throughout, some crazy antics and eventually myself and three of the other sec guys including the HoS made it out on the shuttle, saving Hayden from dying outside as well, barely. Lots of gunfire, sec with a chainsaw arm, and me trying the whole time to keep it under wraps as much as I could over the radio. I berated criminals, applauded sec for doing a good job taking care of the scum, assuring as-yet unmolested crew we were taking care of spies.

I just love how one spy loving up allowed another spy to inadvertently capitalize on it and do some in-the-moment quick thinking about a plan of action, and basically have free run of the station while we took care of everything else. Best round I've had in a while.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Haha, I imagine some of those poor prisoners must have been LIVID. I'm not fond of spy mode just because it requires a level of robustness I lack, but it can generate some great stories.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun-hating AIs really ruin traitor rounds. I uploaded a law saying I was the captain, that I was the only human, and to make all laws secret, but he immediately screamed about someone changing the laws, despite the secret law, and then blamed it on lag. If you are a shitlord just don't even play AI, seriously. All of the AIs who refuse to go with the flow, calling out traitors etc are literally terrible.

Justin Credible posted:

insane spy round

I was one of the other spies. I just sat in genetics, mindslaved a few people and then told them to make hell. Unfortunately, the scientist I mindslaved was pretty retarded and instead of making hellfoams like I told him to, kept making meth and trying to feed it to people I was respawning. That's not hellfoam, bud! At least the security guard I mindslaved went with my 'raise havoc' order and murdered a few people. I almost made it off the station, but they imprisoned me last second.

P.S. gently caress you for not having them just kill me :negative:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Roving judge dredd sec's with chainsaw arms seem pretty fun once in a while. We need an evil dead round though. Give everyone chainsaw arms and have the station get attacked by scary poo poo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
its a shame you can't afford a red chainsaw and a shotgun box at the same time.

Also: Dedicating an entire page or two to crying about one throw away post makes you all seem like pathetic dicks tbh.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Larry Parrish posted:

Spymaster poo poo

I was the miner who got brought in. You'll be pleased to know I offed about four or five people, and left the newbie janitor (whom I had seen asking stuff on mentorhelp) running about in a closet with leg holes out of mercy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Also: Dedicating an entire page or two to crying about one throw away post makes you all seem like pathetic dicks tbh.

Your rap sheet kinda says that you really ought to just let it go, mate.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Just started yesterday and it's been a lot of fun. So far I've mostly played Genetics and if I don't get blown up five minutes in I can usually spend the round holed up and researching superpowers.

What options do you have as a Geneticist for interacting with the rest of the crew, though? If nobody is interested in getting mutations there doesn't seem to be much else you can do outside your lab.

E: Also is there ever a good reason to give debilitating mutations to people? Giving it to volunteers seems unkind and nobody else would volunteer, forcing it onto people seems like a good way to get banned, and if you're a traitor it seems a rather inefficient way of causing trouble.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 3, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
E: double post, whoops

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Mostly geneticists work by themselves, unlocking the mysteries of super farting. You can create injectors to apply any given mutation to yourself or others. Recently I've tried to get people scanned at the beginning of a round but hardly anyone comes by even when asked nicely. Maybe it's too suspicious. :v: Other than that you mostly deal in dead bodies. I make it a point to try to scan every single person brought to me in case they can be cloned because being respawned is pretty much the best thing you can do to anyone in this game.

As for debilitating mutations inflicted on someone, I don't think they are outright illegal unless they're very likely to get the mutant killed. If someone walks in and demands to be mutated, I usually give them one minor debilitating mutation and one positive super power. Like alcohol resistance and a wacky Swedish accent or screaming really loud with telepathy. With great power comes a great responsibility. Epilepsy, muteness, deafness, obesity and being radioactive are something I don't want to give anyone unless they're acting like a shitlord.

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013
With regard to 'semi-non lethal shittery' it is occasionally not survivable heres an example:

Ok so the other day I was poisoned by the barman (he was antag fair enough). I was fixing myself up with by stuffing myself full of chems ( in the little clinic) one of which was charcoal and along comes a Party Borg (non emagged with default laws afaik) runs up to me and starts stuffing beer down my throat (which may or may not have been poisoned). Now I am not sure If I'd have survived in anycase but I really think it totally screwed me. As my charcoal is getting converted by the alcohol.

The trouble with folk that say 'I am going to to do some slightly non lethal shittery' is if you are messing someone who is already messed badly/ or is about to get messed its almost always a death sentence.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
With a borg on standard laws, you're only a 'STOP, YOU ARE HURTING ME!' away from them being pretty clearly not following their laws.

(E: And adminhelp that poo poo. Posting about it in the thread is way less effective than an admin going "Hey, dude you shouldn't do that poo poo." and maybe putting a note on them or something in case they consistently are poo poo like that.

"Space Station 13: Adminhelp that poo poo.")

For some greyshirt taking your place in genetics and sitting there, I'd just toolbox the dude if he refuses to move, then drag him out and slap a patch on him. Then take his shoes and maybe ID. If you accidentally end up killing him, I mean... the cloner's RIGHT there...

Or call sec if they're being competent and helpful.

Felime fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Vysse
Sep 12, 2010

nepereta posted:

The trouble with folk that say 'I am going to to do some slightly non lethal shittery' is if you are messing someone who is already messed badly/ or is about to get messed its almost always a death sentence.

Whenever I'm a victim of non-lethal shittery it's nine times out of ten somehow more debilitating and frustrating than death. At least dead is dead.

Well... kinda.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

While I know you can hit people with staplers, can you staple pieces of paper to people? For people being absolutely intolerable shitlers, I think it'd be kinda funny if you were able to put a straightjacket and muzzle on then, then staple a warning onto their faces letting people know that they're poo poo.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
If not, then you should be able to. You can at least label them with a hand labeler.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Felime posted:

For some greyshirt taking your place in genetics and sitting there, I'd just toolbox the dude if he refuses to move, then drag him out and slap a patch on him. Then take his shoes and maybe ID. If you accidentally end up killing him, I mean... the cloner's RIGHT there...

Last time I had a guy who wouldn't leave me alone in genetics, after yelling at him and trying to drag him out I locked him in the genescanner until sec arrived. He was really robust and tried to throw me in disposals at one point though. I did do a little experimenting on him but he got some mutadone in the end, it was cool.

When I let him out, he totally escaped sec though, predictably.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Motherfucker posted:

You can buy a red chainsaw and steal the bartender's shotgun!

Also: pot, kettle, etc

E:

quote:

Next time we have a new thread, we should really put "USE ADMINHELP" in the title, the OP, and every other post. I also agree with the one guy who suggested making adminhelp a big red button in the UI tabs somewhere.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 3, 2014

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Hey, I found a copy of r4407, is it kosher to discuss that I might make an offshoot, or would you rather this be GOON ONLY SS13. If the latter I totally understand :)

As I understand it the other two non-goon branches, Yog and TG, are already open source. You might have a better time hacking on one of them than on old code that doesn't even compile on the current BYOND version. It will get you a good idea of why it's such a hard game to reimplement though..

I wonder about brobots too, every time I have seen one they have done nothing but try to force feed me Space Beer. It doesn't seem to be a role with much benefit. Is there a point to them? I did also have an occasion where my co-geneticist kept bulling me off the console, but he actually turned out to be alright once he got what was going on.

I did recently have a round where I felt very guilty.. I got the Miscreant objective to "give a negative but non dangerous impression to arrivals" as a Botanist. I started by rolling a bunch of joints and leaving them around, and then found that somebody had duplicated the Barman's chemical dispenser in the public bar, so I proceeded to blood and vomit smoke the corridors per Razage's video, drag in a dead clown who was also lying in the bar, plus a clown suit in a crate from you know where. I then thought I could smash the windows between the corridor and the gym without depressurising the area, so I tried to do so manually and then instead set off a potassium explosion... oops. My last act was to crawl back on to the shuttle so that a dead burning botanist with a severed leg would also be part of the tableau.

Why do I feel guilty? Because like 6-7 Fish medals came up that round. :( I really hope I didn't put off any actual new players there.

nepereta
Aug 9, 2013

Felime posted:

With a borg on standard laws, you're only a 'STOP, YOU ARE HURTING ME!' away from them being pretty clearly not following their laws.

(E: And adminhelp that poo poo. Posting about it in the thread is way less effective than an admin going "Hey, dude you shouldn't do that poo poo." and maybe putting a note on them or something in case they consistently are poo poo like that.

I did adminhelp it. I got 'I can't see how he harmed you'. Of course he Borg could only be bothered to come see me and fill me with booze when I was still alive. My corpse of course was duly ignored.

Alot of the time people bust into genetics its simply to clone someone. As frequent Doctor or Medical Director I am often frustrated by the useless fucks in genetics who can't be bothered to stick bodies in the cloner. Probably be boring if the cloner was moved into med bay proper. Its a delicious irony that the ultimate self interested play2wins have the gift of life itself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That sounds like a round where i'd step off and instantly be on the defensive, so bravo!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hyphz posted:

As I understand it the other two non-goon branches, Yog and TG, are already open source. You might have a better time hacking on one of them than on old code that doesn't even compile on the current BYOND version. It will get you a good idea of why it's such a hard game to reimplement though..

I wonder about brobots too, every time I have seen one they have done nothing but try to force feed me Space Beer. It doesn't seem to be a role with much benefit. Is there a point to them? I did also have an occasion where my co-geneticist kept bulling me off the console, but he actually turned out to be alright once he got what was going on.

Brobots are joke modules that provide no benefit at all to the crew. Just about the only things they can do are use their synthesizer to play annoying sounds, force-feed people from their glass of beer or whatever they replaced the beer with, or light small things on fire with their lighter. The funniest part is that they're still somehow more useful and fun than the Standard and Hydroponics modules, which seem to exist solely to punish new players for picking them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Brobots are joke modules that provide no benefit at all to the crew. Just about the only things they can do are use their synthesizer to play annoying sounds, force-feed people from their glass of beer or whatever they replaced the beer with, or light small things on fire with their lighter. The funniest part is that they're still somehow more useful and fun than the Standard and Hydroponics modules, which seem to exist solely to punish new players for picking them.

Agreed. On the list of usefulness they are on the bottom.

For me, personally, the mediframe as well as the frame with the RCD are just amazing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The Standard one isn't too bad if you have a Roboticist, it's the easiest way to get the Efficiency upgrade that halves power use (but of course if you get stuck with it it's disaster).

Obligatum VII posted:

Things I learned tonight:
-Matter Eater does not let you eat corpses
-Matter Eater DOES allow you to grab something and then eat the grab, which apparently counts sufficiently as its own object. Eating the concept of your grab naturally results in the grab ending. I am just sad that you can't target things other people are holding, or it'd be a really funny way to get out of a grapple.
Too bad you can't eat the overlay or hud objects.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Main Paineframe posted:

Easy fix to make the Hydroponics borg worthwhile:

Using the "poo poo" emote causes the borg to drop a steaming pile of fresh compost on the ground.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Using the "poo poo" emote causes the borg to drop a steaming pile of fresh compost on the ground.

I'd be happy with being able to infuse seeds, pour chems into plant pots, use the seed splicer, lad things into the reagent extractor, or do anything in Botany besides planting and harvesting standard unmodified seeds. The reason Botany borgs are poo poo isn't even because they're Botany borgs, it's because they're unable to do any of the actually potentially interesting things about Botany.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I'd be happy with being able to infuse seeds, pour chems into plant pots, use the seed splicer, lad things into the reagent extractor, or do anything in Botany besides planting and harvesting standard unmodified seeds. The reason Botany borgs are poo poo isn't even because they're Botany borgs, it's because they're unable to do any of the actually potentially interesting things about Botany.

Having a tray transporter like the engineering borg has a tank transpoter would be cool too, bring the good weed to where it's needed most (The engine)

But oh wait borgs can't plant weed, even if the seeds are littering the floor, I guess that puts a dampener on that idea, or at least the weed part of it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Captain Bravo posted:

They'll never bring back poo.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Honestly I'm curious why they left piss in. Is it cause it just pools on the floor and doesn't cake everything?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Botany borgs (borganists?) should have tray transporters, I agree. They should also have seed processors that move nearby seeds to onboard storage when a seed is clicked, and let them see a list of collected seeds and their basic characteristics when the processor is clicked (seeds can be dropped or destroyed from the menu). Clicking an empty pot prompts the borg to choose a seed to plant from storage. Clicking a seed scanner similarly prompts for a seed to deposit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Give the Botany Borg an internal planter so the botanists can use one to grow maneaters or kudzu in secret.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

a medical mystery posted:

Honestly I'm curious why they left piss in. Is it cause it just pools on the floor and doesn't cake everything?

Probably because it's used for some chems, and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen piss outside of chemistry(Or chemistry related piss foam)

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I miss the food-dispensing borg. I really liked decorating the station with arcane sigils of soda and ice cream. What's more welcoming a sight at arrivals than wall-to-wall burgers?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Nalesh posted:

Probably because it's used for some chems, and to be honest I don't think I've ever seen piss outside of chemistry(Or chemistry related piss foam)

I'm always tempted to add piss to drinks when people are being jerks at the bar. Small satisfactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Not to backtrack too much but adminhelp really does wonders.

When I first started playing I was on the other end. Thankfully the admin scaring the poo poo out of me and giving me a second chance made me clean up my act.

When I do log on and take Pookie ! for a run I have to use adminhelp sometimes because when people hear/see me as a clown they like to take that as a free rear end beating.

Whenever I have been murdered by some crappy person one of the admins takes care of it instantly.

Man I need to play more I miss it.

• Locked thread