Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

heheh probe

whats it probing anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

coffeetable posted:

cool. have you tested how high it can go

e: also what's the orange line if not one of the probes

orange line is the temp of the smoker.
green line is temp of the meat.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also i dont really want it to go above 225 except unless im making a turkey or something.

i got room for 2 other probes for meat still. not sure if ill ever cook that much (i will).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

to the second question: no. logically, what would happen if you powered the driver with no led connected? it starts to increase the voltage to try and get the current to flow, but the current doesn't flow, so it keeps raising and raising and eventually blows up. (don't power a constant-current driver with no load on the outputs). when your mosfet switches off, you are effectively disconnecting the driver and it will start pushing up the voltage to "compensate". then the mosfet switches on and it dumps a whole crapload of current through the led until the current sense catches up and brings it back down. repeat etc.

no, if you want to pwm something with a constant current driver, what you need to do is power the driver itself on and off at the pwm frequency, and select a driver that has a fast enough settling time that it actually can turn on and stabilize for a useful period of time before the power is cut again, and also doesn't have so much holdup that the led continues to glow for a fraction of a second after the power is cut.

Incredibly ham-handed solution: use two identical LEDs, one inside and not visible, the other visible. then use two mosfets to switch the driver output between the two (invert your PWM output and feed it to mosfet #2). Note: lol dont do this please

quote:

this is where my knowledge of electronics breaks down but i think if you look up one of the simple transistor-based drivers that doesn't include any inductors, the holdup should be small enough to pwm at 1000hz or so (the arduino rate). i have had some luck pwming inductor based drivers but it would really depend on what the driver is doing exactly and that magnetic stuff is beyond me.

keep in mind you can throw bits at an arduino register to change the PWM dividers. yosvape's heater circuit has it slammed down to 31.25 Hz, fan's at the stock rate.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
C Hausbus S: ez mate i just got home. that being said after i rest up im going to go buy our wall and cabinet paint, gallon each

and we decided we are going to give concrete countertops a shot

check this out

http://www.abeautifulmess.com/2014/01/concrete-countertop-diy.html

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Past couple days been good for me. I've been busy.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that the floor of your haus? I'd cuddle a realdoll on that any day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

is that the floor of your haus? I'd cuddle a realdoll on that any day

sublime

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
fukin sw8

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i designed a quadrature demodulator (fm receiver) in ltspice. the mixer didnt work good because i mostly forgot how to make a circuit good. the phase shifter works well! time to break out some sedra/smith all up on this bitch so i can build a mixer worth a drat.

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
found a japanese cd/minidisc player at goodwill with speakers for $30

dusty as all hell, so tore it apart and cleaned it out. pulled the speaker covers off to find someone had poked all the cones in. grabbed the vacuum and suctioned them back up. cd tray motor gets confused and doesn't always know the tray has been fully inserted and will reject the tray when that happens, but it's easily remedied by double-tapping the eject button until the motor stops. i don't know anything about motors and tearing this thing down to individual components is a multi-day project, so i'll just limp along with it as-is for now. otherwise, it works perfectly.

tidied up the desk and decided to take a pic

listening to the new godflesh ep, realized i should add a subwoofer :)

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
beer idiot spare time project update:

moose drool clone is ready, just has to sit in the fridge until about noon tomorrow.

did 1 week primary fermentation, 2 weeks secondary, and then 3 weeks of bottle conditioning/carbonation.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 26, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I admire your dedication to hand-writing labels!

I just write a letter of the alphabet on the crown seal and drink them in that order

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like a drawer filled with 20 kinds of weed or the scene in pulp fiction where he gets a choice of 3 kinds of heroin

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

I admire your dedication to hand-writing labels!

I just write a letter of the alphabet on the crown seal and drink them in that order

i wrote the order they were bottled on the cap.

labelled 'em all because gently caress it, why not? also, in case there are any left when my next batch is ready to drink, or if i give some bottles to other people.

by the end i was really sick of writing labels, though, so to amuse myself i wrote dumb poo poo on some of them. kinda wish i hadn't, but whatever.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 26, 2014

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

dang thats a lot of labels, i havent even considered labeling

so far ive made two kits:

the first one was caribou slobber (same one you made?): i liked it a lot, apparently my friends didnt as much (as i discovered with the second one). ended up drinking most of this myself. in the first fermentation the yeast went loving crazy within 24h and blew the top, then blew bubbles for hours when i switched it to a larger tube

the second one is this bourbon porter. i think its a little too sweet but everyone seems to really like it, preferring it over the first one. therefore its been lasting a while as i gradually bring bottles to friends/parties. took a while longer to make because of the bourbon soak step, i used bulleit bourbon.

for the second batch i got larger, flip-top bottles. i have a 12pk of pints and a 12pk of 1Ls, and more recently a growler like this one except from russian river and for like a third as much. i used these for the second batch and they take approx 0 time/effort to cap now. they also recap just fine too, less carbonation on the 2nd use but still good. downside is you would want them back when the party's over but this is more apparent with flip tops than with normal capped bottles, and worst case you can buy them individually from eg world market anyway

also the first time took a lot longer, but i took notes on where the liquids/containers/tools should go throughout which made coordinating this the second time a lot faster/easier. seems like a lot of the 'work' is just making sure that a bucket that needs to accept beer isnt currently full of sanitizer, or realizing that a bucket needs to be at counter-height rather than on the floor BEFORE pouring 5-6gal of liquid into it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we're putting hausbus cabinet and wall paint up today. putting the mrs to work! i'm going to get all the hinges off and clean, then degloss them, we picked up some nice rustoleum primer and brushed nickel paint to hit them. cause gently caress buyin 40 brushed nickel hinges @ $6 each

i ordered a bunch of 0 and 1 crap last night

-netgear wndr3700 - dual band, does ddwrt. i can do house wifi on 5g, leavin 2.4 open for....
-ubiquiti nanostation loco m2 - for leeching wireless. these have a couple hundred mW and like 8 db gain, they have a broad cone pattern so you can rotate a little bit. it's not an omni but it's not SUPER directional either.
-wd tv live 3rd rev - this seems to be good at netflix and playing off network shares, both of which we def need

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 27, 2014

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Jonny 290 posted:

we're putting hausbus cabinet and wall paint up today. putting the mrs to work! i'm going to get all the hinges off and clean, then degloss them, we picked up some nice rustoleum primer and brushed nickel paint to hit them. cause gently caress buyin 40 brushed nickel hinges @ $6 each

i ordered a bunch of 0 and 1 crap last night

-netgear wndr3700 - dual band, does ddwrt. i can do house wifi on 5g, leavin 2.4 open for....
-ubiquiti nanostation loco m2 - for leeching wireless. these have a couple hundred mW and like 8 db gain, they have a broad cone pattern so you can rotate a little bit. it's not an omni but it's not SUPER directional either.
-wd tv live 3rd rev - this seems to be good at netflix and playing off network shares, both of which we def need

If you ever take a road trip to the real dirty south crack, you can park in my yard.

Also good choice on that ubiquiti, I have around 4 in my attic for the same purpose.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i made some turn signals for my bike. (i crashed a couple weeks ago and busted one of them up and ofc the bike is 25 years old and you can't get replacement parts so this is a good time as any to replace them i guess)

old ones looked like this

the leds are warning flasher strobes like detective cops put in the back window of their car. the orange housings are 3d printed. the black rubber pieces are the stock signal mounts. the leds are piercing from on axis, a little dimmer than the stock blobs when you look from the side, but overall i think itll be ok.

p happy with how they turned out and personally i actually like the neon orange but someone in the motorcycle forum pointed out that the orange makes them visibly not DOT parts so i might have trouble w the cops. i have some black filament on order though and the housings are designed to swap in about 1 minute w/ 3 bolts so might go that way.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ur life is ownage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
got the 102" cb whip mounted on the hausbus

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i found a bunch of old cool looking panel gauges while clearing out a storeroom and i'm fooling around w/ them and a microcontroller. turns out a 1000hz~ pwm is fast enough to appear as an analog voltage so w/ the right resistor you can drive these guys to whatever angle you want digitally with no hassle at all. s'cool. i think i might make one into a shitposts per second meter or smth.

it's funny tho cause most of these old meters are calibrated for something like 1mA = full scale deflection (they are galvanometers of course) and i am using a 5k potentiometer to screw around with them, so literally all i need to do to mvoe the needle is connect the pot to 5v, connect that to the gauge, and away we go. instead i'm taking the 5k pot, voltage dividing it, piping the voltage into an ADC, 10-bit quantization, map that in software to the appropriate pwm range that produces full scale deflection, and bit banging it back out as a digital signal that manages to drive the analog meter again just by virtue of the coil inductance and spring settling time i guess.

(1) this is why grognards hate arduinos, but then again, (2) all of the above logic is available in a chip that costs less than one dollar in quantity and requires no external components beyond a regulated power supply. welcome to the loving future

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:3:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Sagebrush posted:

i found a bunch of old cool looking panel gauges while clearing out a storeroom and i'm fooling around w/ them and a microcontroller. turns out a 1000hz~ pwm is fast enough to appear as an analog voltage so w/ the right resistor you can drive these guys to whatever angle you want digitally with no hassle at all. s'cool. i think i might make one into a shitposts per second meter or smth.

it's funny tho cause most of these old meters are calibrated for something like 1mA = full scale deflection (they are galvanometers of course) and i am using a 5k potentiometer to screw around with them, so literally all i need to do to mvoe the needle is connect the pot to 5v, connect that to the gauge, and away we go. instead i'm taking the 5k pot, voltage dividing it, piping the voltage into an ADC, 10-bit quantization, map that in software to the appropriate pwm range that produces full scale deflection, and bit banging it back out as a digital signal that manages to drive the analog meter again just by virtue of the coil inductance and spring settling time i guess.

(1) this is why grognards hate arduinos, but then again, (2) all of the above logic is available in a chip that costs less than one dollar in quantity and requires no external components beyond a regulated power supply. welcome to the loving future

ya transistors are so goddamn cheap these days that if u ain't using a microcontroller u r dumb

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

i kinda wanna see someone make an arduino on the latest digital process

14nm led blinker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

ya transistors are so goddamn cheap these days that if u ain't using a microcontroller u r dumb

seriously. while shilling for arduino at the maker faire i actually encountered a guy who started ranting about "well this is good for CHILDREN *smorgkt* but you know, most people are just blinking an LED, they should get a 555, it's so much more efficient" and so on

i pointed out to him that a 555 costs about 90 cents, and an attiny85 costs $1.15, so to blink the led he could get himself the 555 and the resistors and capacitors to make it bistable and do the math to work out the blink rate, and it will be good and blink the led. then i'll pay the extra quarter and use my ~arduino~ to program the attiny and be able to not only blink the led with no external components, but blink it at an infinitely variable rate controlled entirely through software, and also have four 10-bit ADCs and two independent PWM timers and external interrupts and some nonvolatile EEPROM and read from digital sensors and talk to motors and speakers and radios and have the ability to do goddamn serial communication or I2C or SPI

he kind of was like "well, yeah! yeah! yeah! i know! i know! that's all true, but" and i sorta zoned out and went to show a little kid how to make an automatic night light. he made it work from zero, a blank document and a pile of electronic parts, in under 10 minutes. again, welcome to the future

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
i still like discrete :( :corsair:

(when i do use a processor though i'm skipping straight to arm)

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Sagebrush posted:

he kind of was like "well, yeah! yeah! yeah! i know! i know! that's all true, but" and i sorta zoned out and went to show a little kid how to make an automatic night light. he made it work from zero, a blank document and a pile of electronic parts, in under 10 minutes. again, welcome to the future

:hellyeah:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sagebrush you have converted me a little bit and imma stop haranguing people to use discrete circuits if they want to goof with a microcontroller

that being said if youre doing it with an Actual Arduino $35 From Radio Shack i'm still going to take a crack at you, but i guess fan control with an attiny is cool or w/e

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like discrete stuff too, and it's important to know the theory behind what you're doing if you wnt to do it well, but when i need to just get poo poo done it's a no brainer to throw in an little uc as the core and call it a day. pure analog work would be like, something you'd do to show off or as a learning experience.

like, on the robotics team i work with, one of the kids was working on the head of the school mascot and adding active fans for ventilation. he decided to build a intake/exhaust fan controller from a 556 and all the discrete analog components. calculated out all the resistors and capacitors, built eh circuits, was able to get a pwm after a week of fooling around. good learning experience. but like, he could have stuck in a attiny + 2 mosfets + a 78l05 and had the whole thing going in a couple hours, plus the bonus of infinitely reprogrammable logic so if he decided they needed different high and low points, or to add a third fan, or wanted a button to toggle through modes instead of having a potentiometer, or whatever it would be minor changes to the wiring and then the rest in code instead of having to rebuild the whole circuit.

like, arduinos are cool, and i have several of different kinds/knockoffs and develop all my stuff on them (and some msp430s). but the real star of the electronic hacker toolbox of the last decade is the attiny series imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i think the big gear grinding thing for me is when people pick up a soldering iron without having ohm's and kirchoff's (just as important and they work in tandem to make magic) laws fairly internalized. power law too and you should know how to do RC time constants. learn a bit of theory, it's not nearly as tough as you think and once you learn them so many little things in our modern world make sense. liek why a bird can sit on a telephone wire, or how a gfci works

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensyduino.html

these own own own own

k20 Freescale running at 96mhz max -- has a crap ton of peripherals on die and the guy who makes it made it integrate seamlessly with the arduino IDE thing it's great

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sagebrush posted:

seriously. while shilling for arduino at the maker faire i actually encountered a guy who started ranting about "well this is good for CHILDREN *smorgkt* but you know, most people are just blinking an LED, they should get a 555, it's so much more efficient" and so on

i pointed out to him that a 555 costs about 90 cents, and an attiny85 costs $1.15, so to blink the led he could get himself the 555 and the resistors and capacitors to make it bistable and do the math to work out the blink rate, and it will be good and blink the led. then i'll pay the extra quarter and use my ~arduino~ to program the attiny and be able to not only blink the led with no external components, but blink it at an infinitely variable rate controlled entirely through software, and also have four 10-bit ADCs and two independent PWM timers and external interrupts and some nonvolatile EEPROM and read from digital sensors and talk to motors and speakers and radios and have the ability to do goddamn serial communication or I2C or SPI

i thought most people's beef with the arduino crowd was because of the endless stream of 10,000 word blog posts they churn out about "hey check it out i made an LED flash using only a $35 microcontroller board and some code someone else wrote!"?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sweevo posted:

i thought most people's beef with the arduino crowd was because of the endless stream of 10,000 word blog posts they churn out about "hey check it out i made an LED flash using only a $35 microcontroller board and some code someone else wrote!"?

don't forget the part where they put it in an altoids tin because that's what "makers" do

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

tbf an attiny4 is like a buck and a 555 is 40 cents

but an attiny4 can do so much more than just time poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

555's are hella cool and versatile just not as much as a micro. they're arguably more reliable i think because you can't get bugs in passive parts (i.e. the "programming" of the 555)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i put my 4-digit 7-segment board back together. so now I have a rat's nest of 9 wires going from arduino to breadboard - 2 for vcc/gnd, 3 for the shift register, 4 to enable each character in sequence. what is the better way than "cram them into a spare plastic header and ziptie them together" to organize them

if only there was some IC that could generate voltage pulses every 5ms (i have a 555, a big box of resistors, and a few .1uf capacitors but i haven't figured out how to combine them yet) and then another that increments between one of multiple outputs on each pulse (i don't know what this is called)

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 3, 2014

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

another that increments between one of multiple outputs on each pulse (i don't know what this is called)

decade counter?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i realized i have a big old solar panel sitting around (like, briefcase size thing that folds open with a panel on each half; puts out about 10 watts), and also that my car gets really loving hot if i park it in the sun

so i'm going to get some little tiny computer fans and have them so they can sit at the top of the window if i have it open a crack, and put the solar panel on the roof to power them

maybe i'll include an arduino and some blinking LEDs :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
set it up to close the windows if it starts raining