Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ravane posted:

It's good, but y'all should stop exaggerating how far it goes. It's not at all disturbing.

As is the case with TV IV in general. Burned through both seasons of Hannibal waiting to really be shocked or blown over in a proportionate level to the reactions around here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it. But that other shoe never dropped. Nothing I really saw was head and shoulders over the top to the point where I gave it much thought after the episode ended.

The same happened with Orphan Black. After seeing post after post of "THIS SHOW", I was rather shocked about how tame the show actually was. Again, enjoyed it, but nothing really stood out as being horribly shocking to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because poo poo ain't as shocking when people tell you it's shocking. It's like Lost. It was a whole different experience watching it live and having no preconceptions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched Lost live and was underwhelmed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Flatscan posted:

You might want to wait until you've watched it all. It ends in a properly British manner: Bad guys win. Main characters end up dead or truly hosed. Everything they did was completely futile.

Sounds like The Shadow Line.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

The same happened with Orphan Black. After seeing post after post of "THIS SHOW", I was rather shocked about how tame the show actually was. Again, enjoyed it, but nothing really stood out as being horribly shocking to me.

Orphan Black is mostly shocking in that an actress playing so many characters actually manages to pull it off. Otherwise it's nothing special.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Waiting to be shocked is a terrible way to watch TV. Just look at people who liked Lost.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Orphan Black is mostly shocking in that an actress playing so many characters actually manages to pull it off. Otherwise it's nothing special.

Well I'm glad more than two people are saying that, finally.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I've seen a few episodes of Orphan Black now and it didn't really do much for me. It's a neat trick that Tatiana Maslany is able to act against someone who isn't there, but being able to create a bunch of different characters seems like a fairly normal task for a competent actor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd still recommend season 1, it's pretty fun. Season 2, not so much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think season 1 was really good in almost all ways. But man they ran out of steam so fast, it's really disappointing. Season 2 felt like it had no purpose and went nowhere at all. :sigh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Season 2 was a step down but it still had its moments. Helena and Donnie both got really good character arcs, the main problem was that the structure just didn't come together well.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I've seen a few episodes of Orphan Black now and it didn't really do much for me. It's a neat trick that Tatiana Maslany is able to act against someone who isn't there, but being able to create a bunch of different characters seems like a fairly normal task for a competent actor.

I would imagine it's less about playing different characters as it is playing them all against each other in the same scene. Calling doing that very well a "trick" seems like it's doing kind of a disservice to acting in general, and her in particular.

(Edit: Season 2 had a number of missteps, and pretty much all of them were on the writers trying to weave way too convoluted a web out of the story.)

xeria fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 3, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Holy crap, finished the first season of Reign and that was so good. I think Catherine di Medici is way more fun to watch than Cersei Lannister, because the latter barely ever gets anything done in comparison.

Actually, all the ladies on Reign are fantastic in their own way.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

xeria posted:

I would imagine it's less about playing different characters as it is playing them all against each other in the same scene. Calling doing that very well a "trick" seems like it's doing kind of a disservice to acting in general, and her in particular.

From what I've seen, they try to avoid having them on-screen at the same time too much, which reduces the difficulty of that a lot. And even if you think "trick" is too dismissive, my point is that it's not the element that I see being (over) praised whenever the show gets mentioned.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Everyone always gives Maslany all the props but people obviously forget about the people on the crew doing all the composting, hell, even the stand-ins deserve some of the cheer for helping put most of those scenes together.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Im late but Drunk History is amazing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Hey everybody, Comedians in Car Getting Coffee is back for its fourth season! In the premiere Sarah Jessica Parker does more to make me like her in fifteen minutes than the last 30 years of her career combined.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not sure it's been mentioned, but thanks to Amazon's MOD program, finally . . . finally season 3 of the Upright Citizens Brigade has been released!

Now get ready for some Pro Thunderball!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sober posted:

Everyone always gives Maslany all the props but people obviously forget about the people on the crew doing all the composting, hell, even the stand-ins deserve some of the cheer for helping put most of those scenes together.

Yes, the effects crew undoubtedly deserves credit, as does the makeup crew, but Maslany is still the core of it.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
This is going to come off as random but I just started watching Masterminds off of Youtube. It's done in the style of Unsolved Mysteries- with the best criminal "masterminds" over the last century. I stumbled upon it and this show is perfect :munch:

Episodes fly by at 22 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sttfCqnnKRk

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

How was Ray Donovan?

I liked it. I will watch the second season if there is one.

A little plodding at times though.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

xcore posted:

I liked it. I will watch the second season if there is one.

A little plodding at times though.
So maybe STARZ is alright now?

Better than SHOWTIME at any rate?

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ray Donovan is a Showtime show, so I'm not quite sure what your point is??

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Game of Thrones isn't over and Walt dies in the end. Deadwood is probably the best American example of a bad guy winning because Hearst rolls over everyone, gets everything he wants and departs town with a smirk on his face.

Walt's fate has very little to do with the plot of the show, it was going to happen even if nothing else in the show ever happened. IMO the main flaw with BB's last season is that Walt pretty much got everything he wanted in the end.

Deadwood is irrelevant as that wasn't supposed to be the last season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Starz is still mostly on a per-show basis.

99% of what Showtime has, they ruin eventually.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
This is amazing

http://mic.com/articles/92759/iran-...campaign=social

"The news: Iran's new comedy show Haft Sang is a shot-for-shot ripoff of American hit TV show Modern Family. The only differences in the unauthorized remake are that gay dads Mitch and Cam have been turned into heterosexual men or written out, the daughters have been changed into sons and other characters' gender changed to avoid pre-marital mixing of men and women.

An Iranian fan who illegally downloaded the original show posted the comparison video below: It's a fascinating look into how Modern Family is being reinterpreted within a theocratic state's confines."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gKAF_t8wY8

Someone should re-import this to America to run on all the stations that won't run the gay Modern Family

Norwegian Rudo posted:

My mistake.

So Showtime still wins right?

Sober posted:

What other good shows has STARZ made? Was Crash good?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Norwegian Rudo posted:

There was once a time when Showtime's biggest shows were Dexter and Weeds, so some still have some latent "Showtime is poo poo" feelings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cardboard Box A posted:

This is amazing

http://mic.com/articles/92759/iran-...campaign=social

"The news: Iran's new comedy show Haft Sang is a shot-for-shot ripoff of American hit TV show Modern Family. The only differences in the unauthorized remake are that gay dads Mitch and Cam have been turned into heterosexual men or written out, the daughters have been changed into sons and other characters' gender changed to avoid pre-marital mixing of men and women.

An Iranian fan who illegally downloaded the original show posted the comparison video below: It's a fascinating look into how Modern Family is being reinterpreted within a theocratic state's confines."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gKAF_t8wY8

Wow, that... is certainly something alright. :staredog:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Sober posted:

Holy crap, finished the first season of Reign and that was so good. I think Catherine di Medici is way more fun to watch than Cersei Lannister, because the latter barely ever gets anything done in comparison.

Actually, all the ladies on Reign are fantastic in their own way.

I'm still on episode 5 and the only person I care about is Bash, despite or because of how obviously he's the "bad boy."

Kenna's okay too, I guess.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

What other good shows has STARZ made? Was Crash good?

Party Down

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Haha, Cam's the woman.

quote:

Someone should re-import this to America to run on all the stations that won't run the gay Modern Family

All zero of them?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

All zero of them?

Yeah it was The New Normal that a NBC affiliate refused to air

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yeah it was The New Normal that a NBC affiliate refused to air

And let's be honest, they had the right idea if for the wrong reasons.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Taxi Brooklyn is pretty run-of-the-mill but the cab driver character is great.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Taxi Brooklyn is almost charming in how contrived it is. Also, pixie cut.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sober posted:

Penny Dreadful is excellent...so far.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Penny Dreadful is excellent...so far.
It's only been one season. And written by one person.

Shameless is still good and is still going, somehow. (maybe because it's not as hot and successful)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Utopia is really really slow so far you guys, I don't know about this.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Was House of Lies season 3 any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

Utopia is really really slow so far you guys, I don't know about this.

No, not slow, anything but slow. How dare they.

• Locked thread