Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"What is the measure of a man?"

Jesus Clarence emo kid.
"The singularity is upon us!" Holy gently caress this kid is intense.
"It made me want to weave my own flesh into a hammock." :stare:

frank.club fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
drat, AWoG just keeps getting better. Make the most of it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Clarence is loving hilarious and I think its time it had its own friend. Seriously. Everybody go watch the latest episode.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Clarence is loving hilarious and I think its time it had its own friend. Seriously. Everybody go watch the latest episode.

The clip made it look like a slower version of uncle grandpa.

If anything deserves a thread it's Gumball.

How did they handle a casting change? With Run D.M.C and east coast gangsta rap.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 28, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

"What is the measure of a man?"

Jesus Clarence emo kid.
"The singularity is upon us!" Holy gently caress this kid is intense.
"It made me want to weave my own flesh into a hammock." :stare:
You're missing the highlight here- after the music fades from Clarence finding the $20 bill, he says "-was an inside job." I guess you could say this kid has some loose change :haw:

Seriously yall, watch this show. It's cute and funny.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

You're missing the highlight here- after the music fades from Clarence finding the $20 bill, he says "-was an inside job." I guess you could say this kid has some loose change :haw:

Seriously yall, watch this show. It's cute and funny.

"Andrew Jackson was a cannibal! Look it up! The Drones are coming!"

Mostly quoting though to also reinforce that all of you should be watching Clarence, it's really goddamn good

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
... I don't know about that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

A lot a lot a lot of respected artists have come out against Skyler too (including artists who work at Cartoon Network). Which is, honestly, refreshing to see, since the fear of blacklisting in the animation industry for speaking out is very, very real. But people were willing to speak up about it anyway. This is not Tumblr Tumblring.

With an industry as close-knit and tiny as animation is, you want your peers to be safe. There are not a whole lot of opportunities out there. And cartoons need a happy, healthy, safe work environment to be made in. A cartoon is not the product of one person but an entire team of passionate people. I just want those people to be able to feel safe!! And happy!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 3, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't know how this hasn't been mentioned yet but Teletoon unveiled their new and returning programs last month and Johnny Test isn't on the returning list. Our long national nightmare is over.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Clarence is awesome.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ariza posted:

Clarence is awesome.

So are Nyarlathotep, Dagon and The Call of Cthllhu, but that doesn't change the fact that Lovercraft was racist as all get out.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

So are Nyarlathotep, Dagon and The Call of Cthllhu, but that doesn't change the fact that Lovercraft was racist as all get out.

That's kinda my point. I assume everyone that has ever made anything that I enjoy is a piece of poo poo. Those sort of people are usually crazy in some way or another. We just didn't have twitter or tumblr a decade ago.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

paradoxGentleman posted:

So I shouldn't read Lovecraft? I wasn't interested in Clarence 'cause it looks like poo poo, now I have to watch to see if the show displays some of the creator's depravity.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I meant to say the exact opposite of that: you should be able to appreciate something wheter or not you appreciate its creator; just keep in mind his mindset, just as extra info that could help you give context to his creation.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also maybe important to not buy his stuff if your money will help him climb the ladder and do worse stuff with less accountability.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
One of the head writers of Clarence has some scathing stuff to say about Skyler Page. This post gives me hope that the show can survive without Page, and it also feels good to know that nothing that made the show good came from him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Here's the text of it: the site seems slow.

quote:

I was Head of Story on “Clarence” from the beginning.
Obviously Skyler Page sexually assaulted a female artist at CN. Skyler’s a piece of poo poo, and CN should give him the boot. Emily Partridge is one bad-rear end chick for standing up to a guy who a lot of people wanted to cover up for. Skyler’s rear end in a top hat behavior (though not yet sexual assault) was the main reason I quit the show more than a year ago.
I can’t imagine how fans of the show are feeling right now. But the reason you like Clarence, in spite of it’s creator, is because the “creator” had very little to do with the show. Despite what it says in the credits, Skyler never wrote a single episode of Clarence. It was created by the writers (me and Spencer Rothbell) and the talented board artists (people like Charlie Gavin, Derek & Diana). We took Skyler’s idea of “a fat dumb kid” and made a character out of it. Skyler mostly “kept the couch from floating away”, and read whatever lines we gave him. There’s been enough victims of Skyler Page, don’t punish the talented crew that actually raised Clarence.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Sounds like Skyler's already been fired.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Red Herring will never not be funny to me.

Then there was the one time that Red Herring actually did it. Man, what a twist!

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
If only every dilemma of "creator vs creation" was this easy. I wonder what will happen to the development of the show in the coming weeks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They still have an insanely talented crew so I assume they will continue production without him and recast the voice. Which they've already done with Gumball (recasting the voices), so it's not unusual for them now.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

They still have an insanely talented crew so I assume they will continue production without him and recast the voice. Which they've already done with Gumball (recasting the voices), so it's not unusual for them now.

Sweet. His voice was the only part of that show that I didn't really enjoy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone suggested Dan Mintz (Tina from Bob's Burgers) could do the voice although I bet even Pen Ward would be a suitable replacement voice. There's really not a shortage of suitable voices for that character.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Looking through the responses, I think it's awesome how nearly everyone's against Page. I mean, it's obviously you should be against the sexual harrasser, but it feels like retribution has been astoundingly fast.

Also, Clarence is awesome, and everyone should watch it even more now that he's gone.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Glad to hear Clarence has pretty much nothing to do with Page except his name, because Clarence is a good show, I hope this means Cartoon Network can sever him completely from 'his' creation

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

horriblePencilist posted:

If only every dilemma of "creator vs creation" was this easy. I wonder what will happen to the development of the show in the coming weeks.

Looking at responses on twitter of people in the industry and friends of those people, they are all saying to not boycott the show. There's a lot of talented people that work on the show and the creator was fired by Cartoon Network VERY fast. I'm honestly a little shocked how fast Cartoon Network responded to this. I think if anything the show will only prosper. It's pretty heartwarming on twitter seeing a these people on twitter coming together over this. I love that so many if these people working on modern kid's shows are so accessible (Pen Ward, Alex Hirsch, Emmy C, Ryan Paquin, etc).

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

text editor posted:

Glad to hear Clarence has pretty much nothing to do with Page except his name, because Clarence is a good show, I hope this means Cartoon Network can sever him completely from 'his' creation

1. Is it proven that he doesn't do poo poo or are we prooflessly siding with writers who are committing to major damage control?

2. The voice for Clarence was dumb as hell (another reason I don't watch) so I am unequivocally happily he's gone.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

1. Is it proven that he doesn't do poo poo or are we prooflessly siding with writers who are committing to major damage control?

2. The voice for Clarence was dumb as hell (another reason I don't watch) so I am unequivocally happily he's gone.

The guy who said it was fired a year ago for standing up to Page. He doesn't have any reason to lie other than ego.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was pleasantly surprised when I hopped onto Cartoon Brew to read about the firing and the comments were overwhelming positive and the few MRA types were shouted down. I stopped hanging out in the animation community years ago because it was just one giant pile of :goonsay: but it's refreshing to see animation fans being so positive.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Jack Gladney posted:

The guy who said it was fired a year ago for standing up to Page. He doesn't have any reason to lie other than ego.

Good, but you must understand that the urge to scream, "gently caress that piece of poo poo" is basically irresistible when your boss is really (reallyreallyreally) a huge piece of poo poo. I'll try to watch a episode tonight.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This Skyler Page stuff just keeps getting sadder and sadder. Sounds like dude has some serious issues.

e: more stuff http://emilord.tumblr.com/post/90707412751

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 4, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

This Skyler Page stuff just keeps getting sadder and sadder. Sounds like dude has some serious issues.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mental illness is sort of a pretty good excuse though.

There's no excuse for him not seeking the help he needs and going into situations where he could be harmful knowing that he might not be able to control himself, but mental illness is the sort of thing that does serve as a pretty good explanation for things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's an explanation is all it is, and I'm glad that his friend presented it purely as that and not as justification or validation. Maybe he'll get help now, I don't know. I do know the workplace will be safer and healthier, and that's the first step.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Man, I only read about a very small part of Skyler's troubles from K.C. Green's Twitter. I didn't know how deep the rabbit hole went. :(

HorseRenoir posted:

One of the head writers of Clarence has some scathing stuff to say about Skyler Page. This post gives me hope that the show can survive without Page, and it also feels good to know that nothing that made the show good came from him.
Good thing that the only thing about Clarence that Skyler really came up with was "lol he's dumb." That's not what makes the show great.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Someone suggested Dan Mintz (Tina from Bob's Burgers) could do the voice
This would make me want to watch it even more.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 4, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For me it just changes the whole thing so now it's just sad on all sides rather than a thing where we get really angry and talk poo poo about a guy for being an rear end in a top hat. Now I just hope he gets the help that he needs and maybe someday he can lead a normal life.

I'm obviously not defending what he did, but if he truly wasn't really in control of his actions, it is just kind of sad that this has basically caused him to lose everything (which I'm not saying is the wrong course of action at all).

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Either we let this die and upset those who believe we are burying yet another act of misogyny (what did he do exactly?) or we continue the shaming and come off as ableist and indecently vindictive. Nobody wins.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So is this guy around the bend for good now, like he just lost his poo poo and he's not coming back?

That is hosed up. It reminds me of the guy who played David on Sesame Street.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sithsaber posted:

Either we let this die and upset those who believe we are burying yet another act of misogyny (what did he do exactly?) or we continue the shaming and come off as ableist and indecently vindictive. Nobody wins.

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing ableist about holding somebody accountable for his actions. It's usually just accompanied by the expectation that they try to get help or are enabled to get help along with being held accountable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sithsaber posted:

Uh, I mean I guess if someone had no empathy for anyone, I suppose they'd take that position. I personally want to see everyone stay safe and get healthy, and for animation studios to be safe and healthy places to work. That's not a 'win', it's just a better quality of life.

Last night's tweets were not about shaming in the first place, they were about informing people in the community so that they can protect themselves.