Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

1. Company

General Orders

All three platoons will move from deployment to Grid Q9 and assemble in cover while armor and 2. Co. fords the river. After they've crossed, the company will follow and assemble around OP Bulbasaur, with 1st Platoon and 2nd Platoon leading. 3 Platoon will follow in reserve. All Platoons, if still unengaged, will advance west to occupy a line at OPs Diglett and Eevee, where we will support 2. Co. and react to enemy movements.

Specific Orders
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and all support sections unless otherwise noted, move to Q9 to wait to cross. 1.3, detach your flamethrower team to accompany Battalion HQ to OP Abra. The Studebaker will tow the AT-gun to Q9 by skirting the trees immediately north of the deployment zone, carrying the company's HMGs. Kaislock and Davin Valkri, load your HMG sections into the truck. Tetrakarn, your sniper team will accompany Company command until you're detached with specific orders. Company command will follow the platoons to Q9 on foot. Platoons will march in column (Company in file), 1.1 first, then 1.2, then 1.3. Platoons 1.1 and 1.2 will face west and Platoon 1.3 will face north across the river. All platoon leaders will be responsible for spacing their men out to avoid clustering. If necessary for spacing, deploy a little further northwest of the marked objective but stay out of the approach of 2. Co. and armor elements.

The pace of the movement north will be the 'Move' command.

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Oh! Companies 1 and 2 your trucks can hold your HMGs in them too! Or 1 HMG and YOU. Exciting!

Dublish the Soviet tank hunter teams get an AT grenade that must be within like 20 meters to use.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Oh, really? Orders amended!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

dtkozl posted:

Oh! Companies 1 and 2 your trucks can hold your HMGs in them too! Or 1 HMG and YOU. Exciting!

Oh, really? That makes my order easy, then! Get the Maxim in the truck and wait for dismount orders from the Company CO!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
tatankatonk not to be rude but you should be explicit in your orders. The truck can hold either two HMGS, 1 HMG and 1 sniper, 1 HMG and you, or 1 sniper and you (plus the AT gun of course), and you should be specific which of these options you want to do and order those specific goons to do it. If we give grey vague orders, well things tend to go bad.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

tatankatonk any timing for crossing the ford to avoid clustering? I'd also recommend we not cluster up at OP BULBASUR - 2nd platoon volunteers to be the tip of our spear and move straight on OP Diglett and environs if able.

edit: Orders for 1'1'2 will be up tomorrow evening (mountain time) at latest. I'll work with what I've got by then.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Looks like I sent the d20 thing to the wrong address. Tried again.

When do orders for everyone need to be in?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

tatankatonk not to be rude but you should be explicit in your orders. The truck can hold either two HMGS, 1 HMG and 1 sniper, 1 HMG and you, or 1 sniper and you (plus the AT gun of course), and you should be specific which of these options you want to do and order those specific goons to do it. If we give grey vague orders, well things tend to go bad.

Been busy today and haven't been following the thread. Did I end up with the T-70 or the 76mm?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
You guys are fine waiting for the next round of orders to cross as well.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Gotcha.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

uPen posted:

Been busy today and haven't been following the thread. Did I end up with the T-70 or the 76mm?

uPen I left you guys with what you originally had because I didn't hear from the other guy, it is between you two to work it out and tell me.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

RedFlag posted:

tatankatonk any timing for crossing the ford to avoid clustering? I'd also recommend we not cluster up at OP BULBASUR - 2nd platoon volunteers to be the tip of our spear and move straight on OP Diglett and environs if able.

edit: Orders for 1'1'2 will be up tomorrow evening (mountain time) at latest. I'll work with what I've got by then.

We'll have time to figure out the timing of the river crossing once we get there; there's no point drawing up a schedule if we face a suprise german attack before that!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dtkozl posted:

uPen I left you guys with what you originally had because I didn't hear from the other guy, it is between you two to work it out and tell me.

Alright, if he posts before I get around to doing my orders tomorrow then Jaguars can have whichever he wants, otherwise I'm probably just gonna take the tank.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah 1st Co deffo has time for the next round of orders before they have to cross. I just wanted to get those trucks across quick to benefit from the smoke barrage.

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

How do you want us moving on our first rally point (to wait for crossing)? General pace for the company? Movement plan (Company file, Company line)? Order of march on the way? Is there a spacing plan while we wait to make crossing (so we aren't all bunched up)?

A general idea like platoons # and # watch west, # watches north might help us organize amongst ourselves. I leave to you the overarching details, comrade leader!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Finally the true nature of the company commander is revealed as the most tedious position in the army! *laughs evilly*

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

dtkozl posted:

Dublish the Soviet tank hunter teams get an AT grenade that must be within like 20 meters to use.

Oh good. I mean, that's no Panzerschreck, but anything's better than charging a panther with a submachine gun, right?

1st Rifle Platoon and all its subordinate teams will move north from the spawn to grid Q-9. On reaching the objective, all squads and the sniper team will move quick into the trees at P-8 as shown below, while the scout team and flamethrower team hold in place.

From left to right, 2nd Squad will face West/Southwest, the sniper team will face West/Southwest, and 3rd Squad will face West. 1st Squad will be positioned in the rear to maintain contact with company command and the other elements of 1st Platoon.

dublish fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 4, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank)

Well, Gamerofthegame, Grumio, you're the other T-34-85s and I'm a noob here, anything I should know about our medium tanks? Also, who's taking a ride on us?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

RedFlag posted:

A general idea like platoons # and # watch west, # watches north might help us organize amongst ourselves. I leave to you the overarching details, comrade leader!

Noted and appreciated. Orders have been further amended. dublish, let's not make orders sending people across the river yet, we'll have plenty of time for that later.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
1st Rifle Company, Machine Gun section (Maxim M1910): Get in the truck.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Krysmphoenix posted:

3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank)

Well, Gamerofthegame, Grumio, you're the other T-34-85s and I'm a noob here, anything I should know about our medium tanks? Also, who's taking a ride on us?

Lobster's SMG platoon will be hopping on, I presume, and we'll be turboing off across the ford as soon as they're on. So more or less we'll be sitting tight this turn.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

Noted and appreciated. Orders have been further amended. dublish, let's not make orders sending people across the river yet, we'll have plenty of time for that later.

Are those your final orders? :regis:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
2nd SMG Company - Machine Gun Team (Maxim HMG) (SUPPORT COMMANDER--Comstar) Get in the 2nd company truck.

We aren't going to try and drive the truck through that marsh are we?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

uPen posted:

Alright, if he posts before I get around to doing my orders tomorrow then Jaguars can have whichever he wants, otherwise I'm probably just gonna take the tank.

Sorry for the dithering. I had PM'd the last tank guy (Tetrakarn) if he wanted to swap for the T-70, but he hasn't replied, so he loses out.

Anyway, since I've got the choice, I'm taking command of the 2nd Co 76mm AT Gun. uPen, you got the T-70. This is my final decision.

I'll catch up with the orders and the roll20 thing once I get home.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

confirming

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jaguars! posted:

Sorry for the dithering. I had PM'd the last tank guy (Tetrakarn) if he wanted to swap for the T-70, but he hasn't replied, so he loses out.

Anyway, since I've got the choice, I'm taking command of the 2nd Co 76mm AT Gun. uPen, you got the T-70. This is my final decision.

I'll catch up with the orders and the roll20 thing once I get home.

You're just trying to get me killed, I understand.

T-70 vs a 37mm cannon, shaded areas are angles and distances which could result in penetration of the armor.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

uPen posted:

You're just trying to get me killed, I understand.

T-70 vs a 37mm cannon, shaded areas are angles and distances which could result in penetration of the armor.

:stare:

Just to confirm, 37mm is, like, the WEAKEST possible strength for a dedicated German anti-armor gun, right?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Just to confirm, 37mm is, like, the WEAKEST possible strength for a dedicated German anti-armor gun, right?

Yeah. They're probably going to be rocking Panzerschrecks and 88mm or more. The T-70s are basically fast scouts that can only withstand small arms fire

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

May I please have a "tourist photo" looking from:

1. I16 --> A8
2. K14 treeline --> A10

to get an idea of topography, please?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

I've imported our map into roll20, which allows our commanders to put up real time directions and names on the map with an inbuilt chatroom, with archive, all stored serverside. It's a p&p game simulator so it also has support for text files for use as character sheets, for which I can set up multiple owners so I can make a "character sheet" for each position editable by that player and their superior to serve as a place for orders.

It's free and better yet, invite only so send me an email at username underscore at hotmail dot com and confirm it's you in this thread so I can hook you up with the invite url. dtkozl, if you want to be admin of the room, just ask. Grey himself is of course also welcome to take a look.

Roll20 accounts can be acquired here: https://app.roll20.net/account/create

Sent you an E-mail.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Davin Valkri posted:

This battle is 43-44? Smallest thing we'll see is 50mm but most of it will be 76/75mm.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Davin Valkri posted:

If it makes you feel better, just because you suddenly have a hole in your tank doesn't necessarily mean to much.

Sometimes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Now we're onto deployment, can people mark on a map (or a section of said map) where they want their units to be deployed.

I'll get onto getting the units into the game as soon as possible.

Remember, the first "turn" will be five minutes long unless stuff starts to happen earlier.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

simplefish posted:

May I please have a "tourist photo" looking from:

1. I16 --> A8
2. K14 treeline --> A10

to get an idea of topography, please?

Not a chance. That whole clearing is in a basin. To get a good look in the direction of Ford Fuschia, you'd have to move up to F-13, but you'd have no cover.

Better, I guess? The trees along the south bank of the river do a hell of a job obstructing your view towards the northwest though.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Just to clarify, who orders the trucks around? They're listed as "subordinate to support commander" but there are 4 people in our company that appear to be listed as support commanders. Is it under tatankatonk's direct command?

Was going to see if "put us next to the truck since we're getting in it" was sufficient as a deployment order and if not wait until the truck was deployed then mark, but then I realized I'm not entirely sure who is going to be doing that.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Whoops. I was originally assuming that they'd be under the control of the AT Gun commander, since I thought shifting those suckers around would be their main use.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've always found riding around on trucks to be mostly useless for infantry. Riding around on tanks however. :black101:

dublish posted:

Not a chance. That whole clearing is in a basin. To get a good look in the direction of Ford Fuschia, you'd have to move up to F-13, but you'd have no cover.

Better, I guess? The trees along the south bank of the river do a hell of a job obstructing your view towards the northwest though.

Do you have a link to the map file?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

This is my platoon.

There are many like it, but this one is mine. Or would be, if it didn't actually belong to glorious Comrade Stalin and the people of the Soviet Union. I'm just borrowing it for a while, and I promise to return it in mostly alright condition. There are 41 people here, so I'm sure nobody will really care if a few get lost during the battle. Honestly, they can probably be replaced. It's still 1944 so we haven't quite reached the bottom of the bucket.

This is a rifle squad. It has 12 soldiers in it, which makes it special. The doofus with the pistol is me. Since my men wouldn't know what to do without me, I'll be doing my best to make sure I'm the last one to take a bullet. 2nd and 3rd squads both have 11 men each. Each rifle squad can be split into a number of teams, as follows:

Fire Team

The fire team provides a base of fire for the squad. In the German army, the fire team would provide the majority of a squad's firepower. Our DP LMGs only have 47-round magazines, and we have a lot more SMGs than they do. Doesn't mean our guns aren't useful, though. What it does mean is that we have to pay more attention to how we use the other elements of our squads.

Maneuver Team

The Maneuver Team is equipped with a mix of weapons: some semi-automatics, and SMG, and a bolt-action rifle. Since it's not burdened with a LMG, it can run around a bit more and provide additional covering fire from a wider angle.

Assault Team

The assault team has SMGs. Its job is to get in close and shoot people lots. It's the important element of the squad, which is why the squad leader is here.

Dividing a squad into teams is extremely useful. Let me repeat that so everybody can hear. Dividing a squad into teams is extremely useful. Besides putting fire downrange from converging angles and making things harder on the enemy, splitting teams up will help prevent the enemy from concentrating fire on you in return. This means more suppressed enemies, and less suppressed friendlies. It's a bit of a chore to give orders to three times as many units when you're travelling cross country, but splitting when you go into combat is an absolute necessity. Even better, by alternating quick and pause commands for separate teams, you can get a much better bounding overwatch going than you could with the default assault command. Remember that for when you don't have much in the way of cover!

You may notice that all of these teams have a green light next to their higher commands in the lower left corner. Keep your subordinate units within command range at all times. Units share information on enemies they see through the chain of command, units in command don't suffer any kind of morale penalties, and units in command can help call in artillery strikes. Unlike the Germans, we don't hand radios out like candy, so we have to do things the old fashioned way. Stay in sight of your commander, or at least within hearing distance.

I have a couple of other teams under my command as well.

The scout team has SMGs and a set of binoculars. If you're heading into a town or forest, get these guys fifty meters or so out in front and give them a hunt command. If there's trouble, they've got a better chance of spotting it than a full platoon of 30 guys kicking up dirt and making noise. You can also split off scout teams from each of your main squads, but with our force concentration, that probably won't be necessary in this battle.

The sniper team has a marksman with a scoped rifle, accurate to 800 meters. To be honest, I've never used snipers really effectively. If anybody can give me (and everyone else) tips, I'd appreciate it.

The flamethrower team is a two-man outfit that's slow and very fragile. If you want to set something troublesome on fire, like a house, bunker, trench system, or just an unassuming patch of woods, get these guys close in and it won't be troublesome much longer. The flamethrower has a range of around 30 yards, so keep it protected while you move it up.

That's it. A platoon can cover a fair amount of ground, so don't bunch up. Split your squads when you think shooting is about to start, or some lucky mortar shell may leave you 11 men short with no warning. Any questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

uPen posted:

I've always found riding around on trucks to be mostly useless for infantry. Riding around on tanks however. :black101:

Do you have a link to the map file?

It's a default map, rough-water-village-meeting-010.

• Locked thread