Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

DSauer posted:

The only thing ticking me off about Bell's FTTH offerings is how utterly underwhelming they are. Fibre vastly outstrips the capability of DSL and cable in most cases and rather than offer their customers huge numbers at a decent rate and murder their "competitors" they're just offering the same thing we've always had, but through a glass tube!

That's pretty much what a I said to the salesman, "That's it? That's all you're doing with Fibre Optics?"

Bell's (well Bell Aliant) FTTH in the Martimes is amazing. 80/30 for $90, no caps.

That being said, the customer service is typical Bell. I called them on May 16th to schedule an appointment for an installation two weeks later on June 2nd, I was very specific about that date. I took the day off and waited all day for the technician to come by and no sign of them. So I called asking where the gently caress the installation guy was, and they're like "Oh, it is scheduled here for the 3rd." I explained how I was very specific about the 2nd, and they asked me when I made the appointment - I told them I called on May 16th and they said the appointment had only been set up on the previous Friday, 3 days earlier. A bit strange, but I said fine, but you're going to waive the $50 installation fee, and make sure you put a note on my account that you're waiving the fee, to which the customer rep agreed.

I receive a call from the technician the next day saying he'll be there in an hour and "It's DSL right?" ... so he had to turn around and go back and get the Fibre equipment. The installation went smoothly I guess, but I recently got my first bill and lo, there's the $50 installation fee. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone know if Telus or Shaw are bringing FTTH for BC or Alberta types?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

DSauer posted:

The only thing ticking me off about Bell's FTTH offerings is how utterly underwhelming they are. Fibre vastly outstrips the capability of DSL and cable in most cases and rather than offer their customers huge numbers at a decent rate and murder their "competitors" they're just offering the same thing we've always had, but through a glass tube!

That's pretty much what a I said to the salesman, "That's it? That's all you're doing with Fibre Optics?"

When Bell brought Fibe to Montreal, their base offer had the same cost and speed as their old 6 Mbps DSL. Unless you wanted to go for a bundle, there was zero reason to go for it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Fibe is not FTTH.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

Fibe is not FTTH.

Sometimes it is, it's all branded Fibe whether it's FTTH or FTTN here in Ontario.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
It's FTTH for me, but I'm in a condo. There's literally a fiber optic line in my demarc/wiring cabinet.
It's also astoundingly good, but it costs way too much. It's coming to just over $100 a month for 50/50 unlimited. I could bundle TV and home phone on top and it'd cost just a tiny bit more, but it's poo poo I don't need or want. I get a sense that Bell and the others are at least trying to entertain a more reasonable Internet for Canada, but it'll take a while longer.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Trying to entertain? I get the sense they're trying to forestall technology as hard as possible.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The telecos in Canada are incredibly regressive. The only way we're getting more "reasonable" internet is when they invent a device that lets them literally squeeze money out of you. Bell is putting a lot of effort into rolling out FTTH in major markets and then doing nothing with it. Its effectively, "here's the same thing you get with Cable/DSL, just in a glass tube!" The tech, once its installed, could easily allow them to walk up to the customer of any other ISP and offer them twice what they're currently receiving for the same price and air cute ads of a Bell caricature slitting the throats of Rogers, Videotron, etc...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
If anything I'd expect Bell to push FTTH as much as possible. They aren't required to share that with TPIA agreements.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
They're pushing very hard all over the country, its just that they're not doing anything with it. The packages they're offering in most markets are nearly identical to what their competitors are offering Cable or DSL; which is just sad for Fiber. I'd give Bell money if they weren't just offering exactly what my current ISP does, just with a different kind of wire.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
They don't need to do anything with it. Just match Rogers closely on price and speeds. Occasionally gently caress the third parties with a 1 year discount offer. Such is the state of internet in Canada.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

If anything I'd expect Bell to push FTTH as much as possible. They aren't required to share that with TPIA agreements.

They don't? gently caress.

This is (a) revolting and (b) explains a lot about the difficulties my mom had getting internet at her new place, I think.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
^^ Yep. Bell and Rogers both ran FTTH to my condo (I actually qualify for the 350/350 with a 2TB cap on Rogers). This made it so that third parties are unable to enter my building.

Bell and Rogers gave everyone here 6 months free to sign up with then (Bell had a 2 year contract and Rogers had no contract).

Great news though, is that a third party fibre company is coming! 50/50 with no cap for $45/mo. I guess Rogers will be wishing they had locked people into that 2 year contract in September when they come here...which is 1 month before the Rogers and Bell deals end :P

Their IPTV and VoIP offerings are cheaper then Rogers and Bell too.

I think wiith the current condo culture Rogers and Bell are really going to screw themselves in their urban centres. It's making it attractive to smaller companies running Fibre to large buildings, and with both companies burning so many customers (and in the past having no competition) it means that many of these customers WILL go with the alternatives.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Whereabouts is your condo, and what provider is that? Out as far West as Burlington, the new fiber providers seem to be non-existent, but they might be as far as Etobicoke already.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I finally swapped over to Start from Cogeco Business. Cogeco gave them some grief about porting the account because it was a "business" but Start sorted it out. I was getting 16/2 for $67.74 after taxes and the new Start rates for 20/10 are $45.00 for a 200GB cap and an extra $15 for unlimited so it works out to me paying only $0.06 a month for higher downstream and massively improved upstream, $67.80 all told. The Cogeco retention department tried to get me to their next tier up with a slight break in price but it was still like $15 more than I would be paying. They really need something between the $56 and $91 tiers.

My girlfriend has been on Start for a few years and I was impressed with their customer service. They were proactive about potential porting issues and they followed up on everything with phone calls. Happy to say that's still the case, I had two calls from a woman there the day after I did the online setup. They remind me of how Teksavvy used to be before they went through that unchecked growth.
Tried to switch my company from our Rogers 10/2 (static IP) to a much better Start service on DSL. Bell said flat out there are no more lines, tough. Fortunately we moved out of the third-world last week and now have 100/100 unlimited fibre, with the option to go 1000/1000.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Called Videotron's customer service and told them I was considering switching to Bell's FTTH. Their customer retention agent just outright called my bluff and enumerated each point about my current service being both better and cheaper than Bell's and if I want to switch I'm entirely within my right to. A google search shows that Videotron's retentions do tend to be a bunch of hardasses but running straight into a very polite well spoken brick wall was a new experience.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 7, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You're supposed to play that trick on bell and Rogers because they know they have the worst service!

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Kachunkachunk posted:

Whereabouts is your condo, and what provider is that? Out as far West as Burlington, the new fiber providers seem to be non-existent, but they might be as far as Etobicoke already.

I'm in Liberty Village

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Trying to find some sort of internet option for someone who decided to buy a new home in the middle of nowhere. They totally want the piece and quiet, didn't bother to consider the utter lack of modern immensities like say, the internet or cellular. The phone wiring is so old and far from a node that DSL is out of the question. Videotron doesn't even have a node in the area at all and Bell is the only company with a tower anywhere nearby so the lady in question can't even use her own Rogers phone. Since Bell and Videotron have nothing out there, smaller ISPs can't do poo poo either.

Bell tried to sell her a 4G LTE Netgear Turbo hub with an extortionary data plan when the area doesn't even have 4G coverage. She's only home for a few days out of every month (long haul trucker) and her usage is basically Facebook and Email so it might not have been so bad, but that device doesn't seem to be able to speak 3G and that's all there is in that area.

Is there anything else I can do other than dialup? I imagine there probably are 3G Hotspots that Bell would have no problem selling a data plan reaming for. Its in a small district between Lachute and Saint-Jérome, roughly around here. There's plenty of municipalities in the area that have great service from the big ISPs but this place is a small cottage at the end of a private road. I'm honestly clueless when it comes to rural options.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Look in your area for a wireless ISP. Look for any towers or mountains you can see from their property that has some equipment on it. A properly run WISP can be even better than cable or DSL with lower latency and lower costs.

Without a wisp in the area your only options are satellite or cell data. Depending on your needs or cost either will work. Satellite has the Latency issue, cell data has cap problems or signal issues depending how far you are from their towers.

Pick your poison.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Wireless sounds like a good idea. Both providers in the area have a nice big blank spot on their coverage maps right over the place my friend is moving to. Probably what you get living in a lake depression. Going to contact them for more information anyhow. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
My parents wanted Internet access at their secondary home in that area (just a bit farther west) and pretty much had the choice between dial-up and satellite. They currently are using Xplornet satellite, which has even more outrageous transfer rates and bandwidth caps than the big 2 in Quebec, but are otherwise pretty happy with it.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Jan posted:

My parents wanted Internet access at their secondary home in that area (just a bit farther west) and pretty much had the choice between dial-up and satellite. They currently are using Xplornet satellite, which has even more outrageous transfer rates and bandwidth caps than the big 2 in Quebec, but are otherwise pretty happy with it.

Yeah Xplornet has lovely caps. My work is stuck using them for one of our sites, its our only option. We have constant issues with it cutting out since we are using 3g, but we can't upgrade to 4g because the only option for businesses is a plan with a cap of 100GB. When you go over that you are throttled to dial-up speeds. We only do about 100gb/month but couldn't chance going dialup speeds for a few days at the end of each month. It's a pretty absurd business offering.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
drat, wrong thread. My bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I just switched from Teksavvy's 50/10 DSL to the 150/15 cable. Activation went perfectly and the service is goddamn fast.

This is the second time I've done cable service with Teksavvy, the first being their initial 15/1 cable option a few years ago. Both times I've has no problem with the activation.

Now to see how it holds up during peak hours. My neighbourhood just got several new HFC nodes so I'm cautiously optimistic.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Holy poo poo! The first instance I found on Michael Geist's Twitter feed, the second comes from one of my buddies on Facebook.

This is goddamn horrifying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Holy poo poo! The first instance I found on Michael Geist's Twitter feed, the second comes from one of my buddies on Facebook.

This is goddamn horrifying.

More horrifying than the exact same tactic being used to warn people they were using excessive bandwidth? Rogers seems to think that's their private message area. I'm not defending it because it's still lovely, but it's hardly news.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I find the bandwidth notices helpful, because my housemate and I are on a ridiculously low allowance and I hate going over. This is creepy, and I feel for the poor schmuck in retentions who gets an angry call because of one of these, as well as the person getting it in the first place. Ugh.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Bb_WabMn8

'Cause baby, there ain't no mountain high enough
Ain't no valley low enough, ain't no river wide enough
To keep me from getting to you, baby

:unsmigghh:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bieeardo posted:

I find the bandwidth notices helpful, because my housemate and I are on a ridiculously low allowance and I hate going over. This is creepy, and I feel for the poor schmuck in retentions who gets an angry call because of one of these, as well as the person getting it in the first place. Ugh.

It might be helpful but it's insanely terrible to modify packets like that. It's also why we really should be using https for all web browsing.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They're also terrible because it may not even be the account holder responsible for paying the bill who sees the warning, but Rogers just shows the warning once for anyone who's using the connection.

Why not just a standard email notification you can opt in or out of? Better yet, why not a tool that anyone who's using the connection can view to know exactly how much usage is remaining?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I agree, even if I do find it marginally useful. I remember when Rogers first squeezed it out, and trying to figure out some way of preventing it without giving in and hitting the opt-out button, like we did when they started intercepting DNS errors.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DarkJC posted:

Why not just a standard email notification you can opt in or out of? Better yet, why not a tool that anyone who's using the connection can view to know exactly how much usage is remaining?

Because nobody uses a @rogers email address and the web-based tool, while awesome, depends on the website working and the account holder actually checking it. Which of course they don't, and that leads to idiotic :qq:YOU NEVER TOLD ME:qq: phone calls.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

flakeloaf posted:

More horrifying than the exact same tactic being used to warn people they were using excessive bandwidth? Rogers seems to think that's their private message area. I'm not defending it because it's still lovely, but it's hardly news.

flakeloaf posted:

Because nobody uses a @rogers email address and the web-based tool, while awesome, depends on the website working and the account holder actually checking it. Which of course they don't, and that leads to idiotic :qq:YOU NEVER TOLD ME:qq: phone calls.

Dude, do you work for them? Because you sound like my brainwashed buddy who works for them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

No, it's just not hard to explain this particular turd in a much larger pool of sewage.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

No, it's just not hard to explain this particular turd in a much larger pool of sewage.

Someone needs to update the thread title

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Teksavvy cable users: Seems there was a problem with reporting correct usage stats over the past few days. They've zero'd out the affected days:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29403303-Check-your-usage-on-July-18th.

I checked my report and have 0 uploaded/downloaded for the past 4 days.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Migishu posted:

Teksavvy cable users: Seems there was a problem with reporting correct usage stats over the past few days. They've zero'd out the affected days:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29403303-Check-your-usage-on-July-18th.

I checked my report and have 0 uploaded/downloaded for the past 4 days.

Bwahahahahahaha. Those 4 days I have done a fairly large amount of downloading. If it is 0ed out I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septimus
Aug 30, 2003
Wasabi? Why not!
Just checked my usage and see that the past four days have not been zeroed out.

edit: I think this only affects videotron cable

Septimus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 22, 2014