Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Jack Gladney posted:

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing ableist about holding somebody accountable for his actions. It's usually just accompanied by the expectation that they try to get help or are enabled to get help along with being held accountable.

If I guy goes off his meds and stabs a cat do we condemn him as a killer forever? I'm not equating women with animals (and I believe that there's some sort of sordid history behind all this) but it's a sad day when someone's illness leads them to lose everything. You can condemn the criminal and take measures to positively ensure that he is guided away from the root causes of his villainy. As an outsider I have no knowledge of whether this guy was just a defective individual (which is cruel to say but is a common label applied to individuals who are irrevocably off) or if he "merely had a psychotic break that was undealt with because of his prestige.

Here's a refresher:

http://www.ttdila.com/2014/07/skyler-page-kicked-off-clarence-for.html?m=1

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sithsaber posted:

If I guy goes off his meds and stabs a cat do we condemn him as a killer forever? I'm not equating women with animals (and I believe that there's some sort of sordid history behind all this) but it's a sad day when someone's illness leads them to lose everything. You can condemn the victim
Uhh I think I stopped around this part of your post and shut down. You meant.. a different word than condemn right?? Right??

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uh, I mean I guess if someone had no empathy for anyone, I suppose they'd take that position. I personally want to see everyone stay safe and get healthy, and for animation studios to be safe and healthy places to work. That's not a 'win', it's just a better quality of life.

Last night's tweets were not about shaming in the first place, they were about informing people in the community so that they can protect themselves.

This guy is basically black listed forever if he ever recovers.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anyone who reports harassment in the industry also faces the possibility of blacklisting. I don't like blacklisting. I also don't think that Skyler should be worried about his next job right now, he should focus on getting help and support for his mental illness.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 4, 2014

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Uhh I think I stopped around this part of your post and shut down. You meant.. a different word than condemn right?? Right??

Holy gently caress, it's a good thing you noted that. What I meant was that you can condemn the crime while ensuring that the causes of the crime are addressed in a way that doesn't leave sick or neglected criminals looking to suicide.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would make sure to read Emilord's post that HorseRenoir linked. This is one of many incidents and just ended up being The Last One. So it is not a case of "this one event cost him his livelihood". And now maybe he can get the help and treatment he needs.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I would make sure to read Emilord's post that HorseRenoir linked. This is one of many incidents and just ended up being The Last One. So it is not a case of "this one event cost him his livelihood". And now maybe he can get the help and treatment he needs.

There's also the animator quoted earlier who said this sort of thing was going on a year earlier.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So you guys got any shows you want to recommend?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Gaunab posted:

SheZow

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Gaunab posted:

Amazing World of Gumball, season three of Korra, teen titans go (which has improved as it continues to let go of all decency)Mickey Mouse shorts and Wander over Yonder.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Isn't that the show about the super hero cross dresser?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Sithsaber posted:

Amazing World of Gumball, season three of Korra, teen titans go (which has improved as it continues to let go of all decency)Mickey Mouse shorts and Wander over Yonder.

And go watch the new Ninja Turtles cartoon over on Nick too.

Sithsaber posted:

Isn't that the show about the super hero cross dresser?

Yes. I was being "ironic". Don't watch SheZow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I think it's been canceled anyway, so you might not have to run the risk of seeing it by accident.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

El Tortuga posted:

And go watch the new Ninja Turtles cartoon over on Nick too.

Yes. I was being "ironic". Don't watch SheZow.

You must be punished. I order you to binge watch all of Shaolin Chronicles.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

quote:

On the same day the assault happened, Skyler also walked through the streets shirtless screaming at cops.
People should pay more attention to this. Skyler isn't an "enemy to women", he's just insane.
Also I doubt Emily reporting about her assault was what caused CN to fire Page. Confirmation of him getting booted went up ridiculously fast, and hearing the testimonials of other people involved in the show, I'd hardly be surprised if they weren't preparing to fire him well before that.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

I think it's been canceled anyway, so you might not have to run the risk of seeing it by accident.

According to this post, they're going to continue the show without Skyler. It also sounds like the network was firing Skyler for being crazy in general, and the sexual harassment was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
His friends description of how Skyler was acting that day honestly is disturbingly close to how the creator of Ed, Edd n Eddy was acting before police killed him.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

HorseRenoir posted:

According to this post, they're going to continue the show without Skyler. It also sounds like the network was firing Skyler for being crazy in general, and the sexual harassment was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

He was talking about Shezow

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

axleblaze posted:

His friends description of how Skyler was acting that day honestly is disturbingly close to how the creator of Ed, Edd n Eddy was acting before police killed him.

Cue the jacking it in San Diego jokes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhNneU5shTs

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 4, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

His friend's post says that he had some kind of manic bipolar episode that came out of nowhere and was like schizophrenia, and the doctor told him he might never come back from it. He's at the right age for something like that to start, and probably lucky that he didn't kill somebody before the cops got him.

Although there's still that guy who said he was an rear end way before this started.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Antounucci is alive, it was a story artist who had these problems and was brutally murdered and that story still pisses me off.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

axleblaze posted:

That was Paul Boyd not Dan Antonucci. Still the similarities are very striking, except where Skyler was an rear end in a top hat, Boyd just thought everybody was his friend.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Goddammit. Anyway has anyone heard anything in that bugs bunny show cartoon network is developing?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Gaunab posted:

Goddammit. Anyway has anyone heard anything in that bugs bunny show cartoon network is developing?

You mean that surreal sitcom from 2 years ago?

Edit: No, you mean this: http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/cartoon-network-to-launch-first-mini-series-new-takes-on-tom-jerry-bugs-bunny-1201128603/

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
No secret that Powerpuff Girls packed in plenty of jokes for the non-kid viewers, but I caught the episode "Knock It Off" for the first time a few days ago on Netflix, and Bubbles' delivery of Professor Dick's name once she gets mad was incredible.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The creator of Megas XLR and Titmouse have a new show coming to Nick called Prodigal. Hopefully it doesn't end up with the same fate as Motorcity. http://gojira-senpai.tumblr.com/post/66052506641/so-titmouse-is-making-a-new-mecha-series-for

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zeether posted:

The creator of Megas XLR and Titmouse have a new show coming to Nick called Prodigal. Hopefully it doesn't end up with the same fate as Motorcity. http://gojira-senpai.tumblr.com/post/66052506641/so-titmouse-is-making-a-new-mecha-series-for

I'm torn. Literally the only good thing about Motorcity was the art and Megas XLR was just the same joke told over and over so I hope they learned some new tricks since then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chicks may dig giant robots, but network executives don't.

RIP Symbiotic Titan

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm torn. Literally the only good thing about Motorcity was the art and Megas XLR was just the same joke told over and over so I hope they learned some new tricks since then.
The REGIS episode is a work of genius.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

But it was a good joke

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If you don't like megas xlr your whole life is one joke.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I saw the Bruce Campbell episode the night after I graduated and moved out of college. I will always remember the sensation of seeing Bruce Campbell as a cartoon robot and jumping up in bed ready to run out into the living room and tell my roommates before realizing a moment later that I was no longer in school and was alone in my childhood bedroom in my parents' empty house.

That was the Megas XLR joke that was on me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Motorcity's chase scenes were way too frenetic and hard to follow, and the stock cowardly wet blanket character screaming all the drat time made it so much worse.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
On the other hand, Mark Hamill as Kane.

I think my one favorite Megas scene will always be act two of Department of Megas Violations. The fact that the Jersey DMV really is that way is what makes it all the funnier. Plus "Jamie, what's 'right of way?'" and Coop's imagination of what he'll do to the building are great gags.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We've got 5 minutes left this episode! Press the button.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Acquire Currency! posted:

We've got 5 minutes left this episode! Press the button.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

kefkafloyd posted:

On the other hand, Mark Hamill as Kane.

I think my one favorite Megas scene will always be act two of Department of Megas Violations. The fact that the Jersey DMV really is that way is what makes it all the funnier. Plus "Jamie, what's 'right of way?'" and Coop's imagination of what he'll do to the building are great gags.

The Duke of Detroit was awesome as well.

Was Downtown, the show he did on MTV, good? I don't remember it too well. He was mad about its cancellation, and you'd see stuff relating to an MTV surrogate get smashed a lot in MegasXLR.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Dr Christmas posted:

The Duke of Detroit was awesome as well.

Was Downtown, the show he did on MTV, good? I don't remember it too well. He was mad about its cancellation, and you'd see stuff relating to an MTV surrogate get smashed a lot in MegasXLR.

Hell Yeah, the Duke. Dee Snider was the best.

Downtown was all right, it did give us Goat. But it wasn't anything particularly special or memorable. If you like Megas or Motorcity you'll probably like it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Dr Christmas posted:

It was pretty good. I remember thinking it came across like a younger, hipper version of Dr. Katz, in that characters will begin to discuss a past or imagined event, and the animation will follow it. The big story arc is pretty much the exact same as MTV's Undergrads, ("Hey, all of our goofy white guy viewers: The girl you are pining after? She will never love you. You have a female friend RIGHT NOW who you'd be perfectly happy with. Season finale? Said female friend calls it out, the guy realizes it but in the end all of his relationships are in shambles. There is no season two.")

One of the former animators now sells a Downtown DVD set that technically, legally circumvents the "Oh MTV kind of owns this" issues (As if MTV/Viacom would know or care.) Blog post is old as poo poo but I got my "promotional copy" about two years ago, so I think the offer still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Had me in tears back in the day.