Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Baseline for a 3rd level double strength monster is 90 HP, Ac 19. The amount that you've bumped it up shouldn't be a problem, especially since as presented he actually clocks in at a slightly easy encounter. He costs 3 Monster Funbucks(tm) for a second level party, and a party of 4 or 5 is going to have an encounter budget of 4 or 5 Funbucks. So you have to either accept that he's going to drop pretty quickly or add in something else to pad out the budget.

EDIT: Oh what the gently caress. I guess this is one way to find out my players are goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One thing you might want to do is give him two turns each round, or some off-turn abilities. I've done a few "group of PCs vs. one bad guy" fights and they tend to turn into curb stomps very quickly when the monster's one attack get answered by 6 or 7 in a row before it can do anything again.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
He did have it acting twice a round, once on its initiative, once on half of its initiative, so it's good there. With that said, maybe bump him up to a huge creature, if you aren't okay with it being a relatively easy encounter. Huge level 3 creature is 4.5 monster funbucks, so basically right on the money

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

He does have two actions per round (at regular initiative and half initiative). I've learned THAT much from running 4E solos.

I guess I'm going to have to bump him up in power. This is supposed to be an end-of-dungeon boss, so the PCs will (hopefully!) be a bit beat up by the time they reach him, but I want to be sure he's not just an unmemorable curbstomp. He's the first boss monster the PCs will face in this game, so I want to set a tone.

The fight will be taking place in an empty cell, so there's not really a lot I can do in the way of interesting terrain. I thought about having the angel bring in a couple of small archons or something to fill out the numbers against the PCs, but that seems, I dunno, kind of predictable.

As for the reflection effects, I threw Sir Balin's in because otherwise he has no way to deal with ranged attackers. I figured it would make 'em careful about just standing off and blasting away at him, and it gives them a reason to come up with clever ways to get his shield away from him, mark it so he can't reflect with it, or figure out ways to attack that he can't block with his shield.

I'll think about toning down the angel's reflection, but my immediate impulse is to not feel particularly sorry for the PCs if they're really dumb enough to keep blasting away at the angel. Obviously, there's always a risk of a communications breakdown, but I intend to make it clear as I can that their attacks do not even ruffle the angel's hair, that it is taking absolutely no notice of them, etc.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I haven't actually done the math or anything yet, but after a quick look at 13 True Ways, I'm guessing that a wizard/fighter probably isn't a very good combination compared to just a strict fighter or wizard, is that a correct conclusion? Having that weapon dice knocked down a peg seems pretty crippling.

...basically I just wanted to make a big scary overlord type that can throw fireballs while wearing big stupid armor...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Mr. Lobe posted:

I haven't actually done the math or anything yet, but after a quick look at 13 True Ways, I'm guessing that a wizard/fighter probably isn't a very good combination compared to just a strict fighter or wizard, is that a correct conclusion? Having that weapon dice knocked down a peg seems pretty crippling.

...basically I just wanted to make a big scary overlord type that can throw fireballs while wearing big stupid armor...

Your main problems are going to be your weapon damage dice drop and your heavy armor penalty. You can get around the armor penalty once per battle with a feat. Aside from that, it's pretty good - you'll get mid-range HP and really nice defenses. Of course, if you don't care about attacking with weapons, you could go wizard/paladin for even more AC and HP and such.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

PantsOptional posted:

Your main problems are going to be your weapon damage dice drop and your heavy armor penalty. You can get around the armor penalty once per battle with a feat. Aside from that, it's pretty good - you'll get mid-range HP and really nice defenses. Of course, if you don't care about attacking with weapons, you could go wizard/paladin for even more AC and HP and such.

I wonder if I shouldn't just go Fighter/Bard, and take the spelljack thing.

Basically, I just want to make a character whose gimmick is that he's like a stereotypical big dark bad evil looking type, a tiefling even, who also has the ability to use a big dark evil magical attack at least occasionally, but mainly just hits guys with his big stupid sword. But he's actually a really nice guy! If I went that path, maybe Paladin/Bard might be better though, since then the Charisma modifier could be used towards smites evil, and he wouldn't have to have a d8 instead of a d10 Big, Evil-looking Blade.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe
Gnoll Shredder, p. 196:

quote:

Battle lock: Gnoll shredders gain a +2 bonus to opportunity
attacks, and enemies take a –8 penalty to disengage checks
against them.

Legion fighting: When the escalation die increases, if there are
more gnolls in the battle than their enemies, one gnoll shredder
in the battle can make a melee attack as a free action.

Nastier Specials

Spoiling strike: When the shredder hits with an opportunity
attack, it can make a spoiling strike attack against that enemy
as a free action.
Spoiling strike +17 vs. PD (one enemy it hits with an
opportunity attack)
—The target loses the rest of its actions
that turn (and stops moving if it was moving).

Vicious in-fighting: When an enemy would pop free from the
shredder, it must roll a disengage check as a free action instead.
If it fails, the shredder can make a diabolical axe attack against
that enemy as a free action.

Fighters/Paladins should get such defender goodness...

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Basically, I just want to make a character whose gimmick is that he's like a stereotypical big dark bad evil looking type, a tiefling even, who also has the ability to use a big dark evil magical attack at least occasionally, but mainly just hits guys with his big stupid sword. But he's actually a really nice guy! If I went that path, maybe Paladin/Bard might be better though, since then the Charisma modifier could be used towards smites evil, and he wouldn't have to have a d8 instead of a d10 Big, Evil-looking Blade.

With the whole "Key ability modifier" thing the stat you'll use for Smite is the lower of STR/CHA. The stat you'll use for fighter abilities is the lower of STR/CHA. So I wouldn't worry about stat synergy. But Paladin does combo better in general because it's so boring. You won't have to decide if you want to make a fighter flexible or a bard flexible. You just act like a bard with higher defenses until you want to smite.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I'd just ask the DM if you can play a straight Fighter or Paladin and spend one of your Talents on a modified version of Spell Jack. Paladins can already spend a talent to get Cleric spells after all.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Gnoll Shredder, p. 196:

Fighters/Paladins should get such defender goodness...

Hell, let's give it to them.

5th-level Maneuver
Sweep the Leg
flexible melee attack
Triggering roll: Natural odd hit
Special: This maneuver can only be triggered on an opportunity attack.
Effect: The target loses the rest of its actions this turn (and stops moving if it was moving).
C: This maneuver now triggers on any hit. (Yes, it must still be an opportunity attack.)
E: In addition to the opportunity attack, make an additional basic melee attack as a free action against the same target. This attack can not trigger your maneuvers.

Talent
Jailer of the Unjust (Evil Paladins, please read "Jailer of the Just")
Once per battle, when you hit an enemy with an opportunity attack, you may cause them to lose the rest of their actions for the turn (they stop moving if they were moving). In addition, enemies roll twice when trying to disengage from you, and take the lower result.
A: You may trigger Jailer of the Unjust twice per battle. In addition, the targeted enemy must make a Hard save to disengage from you, until they successfully do so.
C: Your allies gain a +2 to attacks and damage against enemies you have targeted with Jailer of the Unjust.
E: You may now trigger Jailer of the Unjust any time you make an opportunity attack against an enemy. In addition, once per battle, you may trigger Jailer of the Unjust on a miss.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 4, 2014

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
The fighter one technically doesn't work because AoOs are very specifically not flexibles, but basic attacks already. There should really be some sort of fighter feat that lets them change that or something too, it would be a simple and good feat for building a defender fighter

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

The fighter one technically doesn't work because AoOs are very specifically not flexibles, but basic attacks already. There should really be some sort of fighter feat that lets them change that or something too, it would be a simple and good feat for building a defender fighter

I mean, I think the Special text kinda covers it? But yeah, it would be cool to expand that.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

Mr. Lobe posted:

I agree that Paladin/Cleric is probably the least complicated move here. Grab Spirits of the Righteous, reflavor it a bit and call it good. Fighter/Dilettante with Magic Focus would also work if your GM is down with 3PP stuff, but I think Paladin/Cleric meets your concept better.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Is there going to be a point where I can just buy PDFs of the Bestiary and True Ways? I'm not a fan of physical copies.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ither posted:

Is there going to be a point where I can just buy PDFs of the Bestiary and True Ways? I'm not a fan of physical copies.

While I am not an authority on the subject, the base game was under a similar circumstance and then was later put up as a solo pdf. So, the same will likely occur for its supplements.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Covok posted:

While I am not an authority on the subject, the base game was under a similar circumstance and then was later put up as a solo pdf. So, the same will likely occur for its supplements.

Absolutely true.
Probably a month after
physical release

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

A pelgrane press shop haiku there

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Pelgrane Press Shopping
Much better than owlbear hug
Since you keep your arms.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I agree that Paladin/Cleric is probably the least complicated move here. Grab Spirits of the Righteous, reflavor it a bit and call it good. Fighter/Dilettante with Magic Focus would also work if your GM is down with 3PP stuff, but I think Paladin/Cleric meets your concept better.

Only problem with Paladin/Cleric is the downgrading of weapon die, which is ~UNACCEPTABLE~ for a gigantic stupid overlord sword.

Since the DM doesn't care, I'm just using the spelljack talent on a Paladin instead of multiclassing. That way he gets the cantrips to increase his hellish visuals and such.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Mr. Lobe posted:

Only problem with Paladin/Cleric is the downgrading of weapon die, which is ~UNACCEPTABLE~ for a gigantic stupid overlord sword.

Since the DM doesn't care, I'm just using the spelljack talent on a Paladin instead of multiclassing. That way he gets the cantrips to increase his hellish visuals and such.

Or you can take the Cleric domain (Strength?) that enables the class to wield martial weapons without penalty. If I were the GM, clerics with that domain would count as a "good melee class" for multiclassing purposes (and wouldn't, therefore, be subject to weapon die downgrade).

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
Hey so guys I've been taking a break from making lovely classes and been working on adapting John Wick's totallyfrickingawesome Wicked Fantasy for 13th Age. I'm calling it Wicked Fantasy and I've just finished up the Humans. I've put it up for the viewing pleasure of the Internet.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-HhnLdq14qELXBraUNPS19oU2s/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1

Now, Drive did some weird things with the Formatting. It will look much better (and have custom font!) when I release the .PDF.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a good reference for what the equivalents of the different ability scores would be? Like, what would a creature with Int of 2 be like, or Int of 6.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

everythingWasBees posted:

Is there a good reference for what the equivalents of the different ability scores would be? Like, what would a creature with Int of 2 be like, or Int of 6.

1. Death to ability scores

2. Creatures don't have ability scores?

3. If you're talking about player character's its explained how to derive the modifier (i.e. the only part that matters mechanically) in the character creation section.

4. If you're talking about what ability scores mean in terms of behaviour, wing it. (or in the worst case scenario if you really really want ability score verisimilitude refer to guidance from Dungeons and Dragons, GURPS, or Rifts).

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

yeah, I meant Paladin (Cleric) or whatever the heck notation you use for Paladin with the Cleric Training Talent. My bad.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

There is a section in the beginning of the 3.5 D&D Players Handbook that gives you a list of creatures with various abilities scores. You can use that to figure it out roughly. For example a creature with Intelligence 2 would be as smart as a Dog, Horse, or Tiger. A creature with Intelligence 6 is an Ogre or Troll (or basically a functional but mentally challenged human).

There are similar charts for the other abilities.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

In the bestiary, there's a section detailing the various behaviors of different creatures, if that's what you're looking for. Like "This kinda of creature is likely to knock someone out and interrogate them". And "This creature will likely try to kill a downed PC", or "This creature probably killed an icon in some Age.

I'm guessing that's the kind of thing you're looking for? How a monster would behave?

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

I just received a shipping notification for the Bestiary. I was an early pre-order customer and I'm in Australia, for what that's worth. Thought this might give anyone one else awaiting theirs a rough idea.

The notification came from Wayland Games, so it seems they're doing the (non-US) fulfillment instead of Leisure Games (I think) that was doing so previously. Hopefully Wayland packs books at least a little better than Leisure did, which amounted to putting them in a folded cardboard sleeve.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Can I get some second opinions regarding the Commander's new level 1 command, 'You Set Them Up, I Finish'?

I mentioned it to my game's DM because I thought it seemed pretty neat, but he found the CHA mod damage bonus pretty underwhelming for a party of our level (we are currently level 4), considering the power's 4 point cost.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Can I get some second opinions regarding the Commander's new level 1 command, 'You Set Them Up, I Finish'?

I mentioned it to my game's DM because I thought it seemed pretty neat, but he found the CHA mod damage bonus pretty underwhelming for a party of our level (we are currently level 4), considering the power's 4 point cost.

My guess is that it's the Commander's equivalent to the Necromancer's Death Knell - "it has now many HP left? No, it's dead now" and the 4 point requirement is because it's very effective at taking a mob off the field and thus reducing action economy. Just a guess of course. I wouldn't charge 4 points for it though, even if it's intended for another use. Two is plenty.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Necromancer has so many cool things for its talents, it must be really hard to pick just 3.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
It's made easier if you know what you want your character to do. If you want a friend, take Skeletal Minion. If you want to be a good Necromancer, take Redeemer. If you want cleric spells or talking to spirits, take Death Priest. If you want a bit more power, take Death knell.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

Necromancer has so many cool things for its talents, it must be really hard to pick just 3.

I found it difficult. For example, I want to take flaming skeleton minion and Cackling Soliloquist on every Necromancer, but it just wasn't right for the Necromancer/Cleric that has been trying to seek vengeance for her wrongful death and resurrection since the 7th Age. It's a really cool class.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Multiclassing clarification: if your key modifier includes str or dex, does that affect your basic attacks as well? Most basic attacks are str or dex regardless of the class's ability modifier (for instance a fighter/wizard's natural attacks are both str) so I'm puzzled as to if it becomes str/int instead.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Caphi posted:

Multiclassing clarification: if your key modifier includes str or dex, does that affect your basic attacks as well? Most basic attacks are str or dex regardless of the class's ability modifier (for instance a fighter/wizard's natural attacks are both str) so I'm puzzled as to if it becomes str/int instead.

Reading the rules: "It’s worth noting that you don’t necessarily use the key
modifier for all attacks, only for attacks that would normally use
one of the two ability scores in question
."

So, in the case of the Fighter Wizard, yes, you would use Strength/Int for your melee attacks, but would just use Dex for basic ranged attacks.

Just Burgs fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 8, 2014

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I was incorrect w/r/t my players hating General Ironicus for creating the Devil of the Fangs.

They gathered the components to reanimate the Northern Colossus and piloted it like a mech to fight the Final Devil.

why does everything I gm turn cuckoo bananas

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Solomonic posted:

I was incorrect w/r/t my players hating General Ironicus for creating the Devil of the Fangs.

They gathered the components to reanimate the Northern Colossus and piloted it like a mech to fight the Final Devil.

why does everything I gm turn cuckoo bananas

Because you're doing it right.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Danoss posted:

I just received a shipping notification for the Bestiary. I was an early pre-order customer and I'm in Australia, for what that's worth. Thought this might give anyone one else awaiting theirs a rough idea.

The notification came from Wayland Games, so it seems they're doing the (non-US) fulfillment instead of Leisure Games (I think) that was doing so previously. Hopefully Wayland packs books at least a little better than Leisure did, which amounted to putting them in a folded cardboard sleeve.

Yep, we didn't expect a notification to go out, but Simon confirmed that this message wasn't a misfire -- the Bestiary is shipping now.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

How are the 13 True Ways classes so good. Wade, how many deals with the devil have been made by Pelgrane Press, give us the scoop.

I play necromancers in just about any game that offers them, and the 13th Age necromancer just fulfills everything I want out of the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

waderockett posted:

Yep, we didn't expect a notification to go out, but Simon confirmed that this message wasn't a misfire -- the Bestiary is shipping now.

I haven't gotten a shipping notification. I thought we were friends, Wade. :argh: