Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
https://www.harbormobile.com/

So what's the deal with this business that is apparently reselling the TMo corporate plan?

$60 a month for the unlimited everything plan?

Edit: Apparently not an MVNO and has roaming?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Insane Totoro posted:

Old discounts are still grandfathered in as far as I know.

I think mine was discontinued

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

grimcreaper posted:

How is T-mobil's service in Tucson, Az? A rep was trying to persuade me to change over and said i would get unlimited talk/text/data for $56.18 a month after the Sears Holdings Discount. He broke down the charges and stuff on a piece of paper.

Im highly dubious of this number due to the fact that one of the other reps was quietly saying "Sears doesnt get a discount anymore, and it was never that high to beginwith" to him, trying not to let me overhear. But IF it is true, i might consider switching.

its OK. Anywhere outside your major highways and heading towards Phoenix and it will be very spotty, at least as compared to Sprint.

The T-Mobile reps in town are not knowledgeable and seem more interested in sculpting their hair. Well I suppose this could be for any city.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Welp, off to a great start on t-mobile. Ordered online last night, picked one day shipping "to avoid coverage lapse", had my Sprint coverage shut off this morning, with the phones expected to be delivered who knows when. Why would they start a port way before an estimated delivery? At best, I get it Saturday, but likely Monday. Support hasn't been super helpful, after a ton of pressing they told me to call around local stores to see if I can get loaner phones until the new ones are delivered :(

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I ported my number into T-Mobile from google voice, and have discovered that I can't receive any text messages. Data/calls work fine, but texting is completely borked. Any ideas? Port went through on Monday. Texts from Tmo numbers seem to work.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Splat posted:

Welp, off to a great start on t-mobile. Ordered online last night, picked one day shipping "to avoid coverage lapse", had my Sprint coverage shut off this morning, with the phones expected to be delivered who knows when. Why would they start a port way before an estimated delivery? At best, I get it Saturday, but likely Monday. Support hasn't been super helpful, after a ton of pressing they told me to call around local stores to see if I can get loaner phones until the new ones are delivered :(

Why would you port a number before you even got the new phone?

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="431727765"]
Why would you port a number before you even got the new phone?

I didn't, they did. When you order online you give them the numbers you want to bring over, and they port them. Apparently right away even if phone isn't scheduled to arrive for days :(

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ijii posted:

Info about Tmobile discontinuing discounts. Only military and government people get discounts.

Out of curiosity, what location to did you talk to a rep about this stuff?

A tmobil store inside Park Place Mall. Not one of the lovely kiosks, but the actual store-front.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/doing-right-by-consumers.htm

Legere responds to the FTC thing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Splat posted:

I didn't, they did. When you order online you give them the numbers you want to bring over, and they port them. Apparently right away even if phone isn't scheduled to arrive for days :(

Oh I thought it was common knowledge to let them give you new numbers, then once you get the phone, you port the numbers in. There should be overlap for the exact reason you're experiencing.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="431733990"]
Oh I thought it was common knowledge to let them give you new numbers, then once you get the phone, you port the numbers in. There should be overlap for the exact reason you're experiencing.

Well, I guess I'm dumb then. Why is this not an option at checkout? "Port my number now" vs "Port my number when I get my phone"? or a disclaimer somehwere? I didn't run into it when I last switched carriers, I was unawares :-/

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I know in Phoenix at least when we first started paying off people's ETFs we ran out of phone numbers and were expressly forbidden from issuing temporary numbers like that. I don't know if that's still the case.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

grimcreaper posted:

A tmobil store inside Park Place Mall. Not one of the lovely kiosks, but the actual store-front.
I guess it's a city wide issue then. The shitbag who helped me worked at a store near the Marana Walmart supercenter.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ijii posted:

I guess it's a city wide issue then. The shitbag who helped me worked at a store near the Marana Walmart supercenter.

I think i know where your talking about, and im pretty sure i wanted to punch one of the reps there for physically grabbing my phone from my hands and putting it in a drawer while he was trying to tell me all about how T-Mobile was so good.

Im not making GBS threads you either. i was looking through my contacts list to text a friend right outside the store, the guy said "Oh man, a Note 3?" As he grabbed it from my hands and walked into the store. God i wanted to deck him for that. Finally got fed up after listening to 5 minutes of his bullshit "you should switch over!" spiel, walked behind his counter and grabbed it out of the drawer while he kept saying "Your not allowed back there. You need to come back out of that area!"

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
Went into t-mobile to inquire about plans, left with a job interview.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beefstorm posted:

Went into t-mobile to inquire about plans, left with a job interview.

Congratulations! They need people like you. Hopefully everything works out.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Splat posted:

Well, I guess I'm dumb then. Why is this not an option at checkout? "Port my number now" vs "Port my number when I get my phone"? or a disclaimer somehwere? I didn't run into it when I last switched carriers, I was unawares :-/

You're not dumb. It should work the way you were expecting. Just like it did last time you ported a number.

And it used to work that way on T-Mobile. Probably still should, much like you should be able to pay your bill and should be able to download call details.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm shopping around for cell phone plans and I'm wondering about T-Mobile. I live in NYC (Queens) and I noticed that the OP mentioned a "nerd plan" which would be perfect for me. I'm trying to find it on the website but I can't seem to.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Dirty Job posted:

I'm shopping around for cell phone plans and I'm wondering about T-Mobile. I live in NYC (Queens) and I noticed that the OP mentioned a "nerd plan" which would be perfect for me. I'm trying to find it on the website but I can't seem to.

Don't do it if you ever go to Manhattan; T-Mobile's building penetration is a joke because of their poor spectrum.

Go to this page and look above the little 1 -> 2 -> 3 diagram. Buy a phone/SIM from T-Mo online and the nerd plan will show up when you go online to activate: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

If you use promo code SIMDEAL you can get the SIM sent for a penny.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dirty Job posted:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans
On the left down towards the bottom.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

Molten Llama posted:

You're not dumb. It should work the way you were expecting. Just like it did last time you ported a number.

And it used to work that way on T-Mobile. Probably still should, much like you should be able to pay your bill and should be able to download call details.

To continue the saga: Phones arrived today, sim cards with them apparently can't be reactivated for 24 hours for who the gently caress knows why reasons. Now onto 3rd level of support giving me a call back so I can vent.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Just switched to T-Mobile from Verizon.

What is the difference between the "LTE" and "H" on my signal bar? Verizon had 3G, and 4GLTE, but I don't know how exactly the TMo icons relate. Somewhere online said H is 4G, and LTE is 4GLTE?
But then what's the difference between regular 4G and LTE?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

"H" is HSPA+ which is an extension of 3G that's faster than 3G but not as fast as LTE. Depending on the phone, it may show up as 4G instead.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
H is for HSPA. HSPA is kind of like 3G+. T-Mobile has HSPA+21 and HSPA+42 which are both very fast. "4G" just means 4th generation wireless technology, and there's nothing really stopping carriers from calling whatever they want 4G. The whole thing is Sprint's fault, because they started calling their lovely Wi-Max 4G. T-Mobile said "hey, our HSPA+ is better than that garbage" and started calling HSPA+ 4G. Then Verizon rolled out their LTE which is the first "real" 4G network, but even it doesn't meet the ITU's initial specification for 4G which was pretty optimistic. LTE-A is also coming out which will be the first "real" 4G in that it can reach speeds of 100Mbps. You probably won't notice a difference between HSPA+ and LTE (I can't) as they're both very fast, but LTE does have lower latency.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ah, ok thanks! I haven't had any issues so far, aside from a duplicated Web order that spawned a 2nd line on my account :v:

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Anyone have the new free/cheap sim promo code? SIMDEAL is expired.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
My girlfriend has the HTC m7 and I got a Nexus 4 for me and my dad. We signed her up for jump when she started to hate her phone. We had to put a big chunk of money down on the phones for credit reasons. I want to pay my phone off and get the G3 and she wants to jump to the G3. When we looked at how much my pay off was it was around $145. Her phone only has $135 left to pay it off. It seems like a dumb idea to trade her phone in with so little to pay off and paying it off defeats the purpose of jump. Is there a way to transfer anything we've paid over half to paying off the two Nexus 4s or am I better off paying for hers and just selling it online?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

I'm thinking of switching from metroPCS to the $30 nerd plan. My 5 year-old phone finally died (samsung code), so this seems like a perfect time to get a much better phone, and to cut my phone bill by $25. I'm not sure what phone I should get though. T-Mobile is selling the Samsung Galaxy S II for $168 refurbished, and it looks pretty good. My phone budget is $200 max (cheaper is better, but I also want the best bang for my buck), and after looking at a bunch of different phone reviews for that price range, it seems like the Galaxy S II is the best choice....but i just wanted to make sure. Can anyone confirm this, or recommend something better?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Rah! posted:

I'm thinking of switching from metroPCS to the $30 nerd plan. My 5 year-old phone finally died (samsung code), so this seems like a perfect time to get a much better phone, and to cut my phone bill by $25. I'm not sure what phone I should get though. T-Mobile is selling the Samsung Galaxy S II for $168 refurbished, and it looks pretty good. My phone budget is $200 max (cheaper is better, but I also want the best bang for my buck), and after looking at a bunch of different phone reviews for that price range, it seems like the Galaxy S II is the best choice....but i just wanted to make sure. Can anyone confirm this, or recommend something better?
The solution to your 5 year old phone dying isn't to purchase another 5 year old phone.
If you can't afford a swappa moto X or nexus 5, at the very least get a moto G.
Do NOT purchase a SGSII.
I had a T-Mobile SGSII, and while it wasn't bad, it was like 3 phones ago (current N5, N4, GalNex, SGSII.)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 19, 2014

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Rah! posted:

Please don't buy a 3 year old phone.
A brand new Moto G starts at $179 unlocked.

edit: to elaborate, while the S2 was a fine phone in 2011, you can get a brand new phone with better battery life, a faster processor, and a higher res screen, for roughly the same price. And a new phone like a Moto G is still supported by Motorola so it will continue to get software updates for some time. The S2 is now 3 versions behind on android, and therefore now has numerous unpatched security vulnerabilities.

lazydog fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 19, 2014

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ilkhan posted:

The solution to your 5 year old phone dying isn't to purchase another 5 year old phone.
If you can't afford a swappa moto X or nexus 5, at the very least get a moto G.
Do NOT purchase a SGSII.
I had a T-Mobile SGSII, and while it wasn't bad, it was like 3 phones ago (current N5, N4, GalNex, SGSII.)

lazydog posted:

Please don't buy a 3 year old phone.
A brand new Moto G starts at $179 unlocked.

edit: to elaborate, while the S2 was a fine phone in 2011, you can get a brand new phone with better battery life, a faster processor, and a higher res screen, for roughly the same price. And a new phone like a Moto G is still supported by Motorola so it will continue to get software updates for some time. The S2 is now 3 versions behind on android, and therefore now has numerous unpatched security vulnerabilities.

Thanks for the advice. I figured the galaxy S II would still be good despite being old, especially for my price range and considering how lovely my last phone was...but I'll go for the moto G instead.

I did think about the moto G, but was under the impression it wouldn't work on the T-mobile network except for 2G (as was claimed multiple times by newegg and amazon). I guess those were all the non US version or had the wrong/outdated description or I'm blind or something.

But T-mobile apparently doesn't recognize "moto G" when searching for a compatible sim card. It does have them for the moto X, which I'm guessing will also work in the moto G?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
My wife has gone over her 500mb limit in the past two months for the first time in forever. The web UI shows her as sometimes having used addas much as 180mb in a single day, which is insane. There's no way her usage was that high and the phones data usage settings confirm that.

Do we have any options? This seems like a problem with tmobiles days usage scripts, but I dunno how I argue for that to a rep. It's especially annoying because she is on the $40 plan which doesn't drop you to edge speeds like everything else.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Rah! posted:

Thanks for the advice. I figured the galaxy S II would still be good despite being old, especially for my price range and considering how lovely my last phone was...but I'll go for the moto G instead.

I did think about the moto G, but was under the impression it wouldn't work on the T-mobile network except for 2G (as was claimed multiple times by newegg and amazon). I guess those were all the non US version or had the wrong/outdated description or I'm blind or something.

But T-mobile apparently doesn't recognize "moto G" when searching for a compatible sim card. It does have them for the moto X, which I'm guessing will also work in the moto G?

Yeah, the US Moto G supports T-Mobile's frequencies. The global version doesn't do the 1700/2100 frequency band, so in some T-Mobile markets, the global edition only gets 2G service.

For whatever reason, it doesn't take the same sim size as the Moto X. The X is nano, and the Moto G takes a micro sim

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

Did Tmo ever start the not-counting-Google-Play-Music-streaming-toward-your-cap thing? And did we ever find out for sure whether or not it applied to prepaid plans?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="432405179"]
Did Tmo ever start the not-counting-Google-Play-Music-streaming-toward-your-cap thing? And did we ever find out for sure whether or not it applied to prepaid plans?

I did some streaming from my Play Music library yesterday, and it definitely counted against my data cap. I haven't tried using Pandora or Spotify. Then again, I'm on the $30 plan, which is technically not a "Simple Choice" plan.

I would not be surprised if it was something available to postpaid Simple Choice plans only. It says "Music Freedom is available starting June 18th to new and existing customers with a qualified Simple Choice Plan." on the website.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Merv Burger posted:

I did some streaming from my Play Music library yesterday, and it definitely counted against my data cap. I haven't tried using Pandora or Spotify. Then again, I'm on the $30 plan, which is technically not a "Simple Choice" plan.

I would not be surprised if it was something available to postpaid Simple Choice plans only. It says "Music Freedom is available starting June 18th to new and existing customers with a qualified Simple Choice Plan." on the website.

It was definitely always a feature for postpaid customers only.

Else someone could pay for $5 of prepaid data per month to get 100mb or whatever and stream nonstop if they cared to.

I am on a simple choice plan, and Spotify usage does not count against my data, which has increased my Spotify usage about 10 fold.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Tivac posted:

My wife has gone over her 500mb limit in the past two months for the first time in forever. The web UI shows her as sometimes having used addas much as 180mb in a single day, which is insane. There's no way her usage was that high and the phones data usage settings confirm that.

Do we have any options? This seems like a problem with tmobiles days usage scripts, but I dunno how I argue for that to a rep. It's especially annoying because she is on the $40 plan which doesn't drop you to edge speeds like everything else.

What phone is she using? There's been a lot of updates rolling out lately and 180-250MB is consistent with an OS update. I'm not sure that shows under data usage.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

FordPRefectLL posted:

What phone is she using? There's been a lot of updates rolling out lately and 180-250MB is consistent with an OS update. I'm not sure that shows under data usage.

IPhone 5c, I don't think there's been many updates lately but I'll ask her.

I reset the data counters on the phone and I'm checking their totals against my.tmobile every day to figure out wtf is going on.

:(

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I think my SIM is damaged, so I bought an new one and want to swap it out.

T-mobile's website instructions say to go to

"http://t-mobile.com/SIM" and enter my new codes.

But that site just redirects me back to the homepage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

I think my SIM is damaged, so I bought an new one and want to swap it out.

T-mobile's website instructions say to go to

"http://t-mobile.com/SIM" and enter my new codes.

But that site just redirects me back to the homepage!

Contact support chat. They can do it for you. I think that link doesn't work for people who are on prepaid.