Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
what's worse is Both Of Those Bands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

stay depressed posted:

what's worse is Both Of Those Bands

Not liking YAITW from a purely musical perspective seems pretty suspect to me.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Killsion posted:

Not liking YAITW from a purely musical perspective seems pretty suspect to me.

What's suspect about not liking deathwish metalcore? That seems ok to me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
A crust-ish band that throws around blood and guts being called Young And In The Way is basically the same sort of stylistical clash as when a 20-something programmer dude dresses like Mark Twain.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

answersyouseek posted:

What's suspect about not liking deathwish metalcore? That seems ok to me.

Deathwish metalcore? Eh?

What is there to not love?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7se29AkNE

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Deathwish metalcore is pretty dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTNR8kFOwB4

I look forward to seeing these guys with YAITW next month but do not look forward to being inevitably blinded by catching a pig to the face.

edit: also these guys, this EP is really really good and also I liked it when their singer got really mad about the Slayer christmas sweater and wrote a big article about it for Spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeD-5c4U6ms

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 26, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

YaitW was immensely successful before they signed with DW. They still seem like assholes, though. I've seen their drama firsthand at a show earlier this year.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
good sissy spacek 7"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXWp6IvHps

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

alg posted:

YaitW was immensely successful before they signed with DW. They still seem like assholes, though. I've seen their drama firsthand at a show earlier this year.

I'm not disputing the band are assholes, merely that they make drat solid music and have for a while now as you indicated by their popularity pre-DW. I remember listening to I Am Not What I Am and being absolutely blown away by the opening track. I don't think I've heard an album opener that comes anywhere close besides Like Rats. Flawless usage of the Ligeti sample as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbOAh05GKwA

Now I will say the cover of When Life Comes to Death is pretty awful compared to their past covers.

Didn't realize he did stuff like this. His noise has always had a grind vibe though certainly so not too surprising.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 26, 2014

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Inspector_666 posted:

I should probably go see Direct Hit! and Masked Invadertruder next week, shouldn't I.

I'm debating about seeing them for the d4th show. However, I'm going the second night to see Nightbirds and don't want to pay another $15, even though I've never seen Direct Hit or Masked Intruder.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Unbootable posted:

Your honor, might I present this atrocious piece of evidence as to them being shells of their former shelves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_d1PnynvI

This coming from a band that released one of their albums in the 1980s with the second side of the cassette blank so their fans could contribute to music piracy.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Killsion posted:

. I remember listening to I Am Not What I Am and being absolutely blown away by the opening track.

I liked that track better when wolves in the throne room played it but whatevers

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I liked that track better when wolves in the throne room played it but whatevers

Yeah buT this one time the bassist of wolves in the throne room punched a girl in the face.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 28, 2014

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Please tell me what Wolves in the Throne Room song sounds remotely like that track. I'm really curious.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah buT this one time the bassist of wolves in the throne room punched a girl in the face.

I didn't know Ben Weasel played for Wolves in the Throne Room.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Unbootable posted:

fwiw i heard that when brandon cruz sung with the band, it was half way tolerable. I've heard from folks that've seen em that they're kind of a shell of their former shelves though. I feel like if you really want the Dead Kennedys experience just go see Biafra and his band The Guantanamo School Of Medicine.

Your honor, might I present this atrocious piece of evidence as to them being shells of their former shelves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV_d1PnynvI

Now that's just awful.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

New Gas Chamber LP ""Hemorrhaging Light" just came out, and it is an absolute pounder. PV type stuff at it's core but definitely has quite a few different influences thrown in.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Killsion posted:

Please tell me what Wolves in the Throne Room song sounds remotely like that track. I'm really curious.

Killsion posted:

whoops just checked that album out, I am confusing it with another.

I am going to ask my bud because he plays them all the time and I only noticed it when I was in the car with him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Topshelf put up a stream for the entire My Fictions album that just came out tonight.

I really like it but I can't articulate why, exactly.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Check out my song, it's 5 minutes long and it's actually mostly Ligeti and the Ligeti is the best part, but then, ooh, then it's time for the Valnøtts and HM-2s.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

Hi, this may be the wrong place to ask this, but I have a punk album art question. I'm trying to find out who the artist is and/or where the comic art used as the album cover comes from on Supersuckers' 7" single 'Super Tramp' released in 1992(SFTRI 113). I've spent like some time poking around, but so far have had no luck. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 2, 2014

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
Probably Jack Chick.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Quantum Cat posted:

Hi, this may be the wrong place to ask this, but I have a punk album art question. I'm trying to find out who the artist is and/or where the comic art used as the album cover comes from on Supersuckers' 7" single 'Super Tramp' released in 1992(SFTRI 113). I've spent like some time poking around, but so far have had no luck. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

google is hard

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013
Yesterday I listened to ''Lullabies Help the Brain Grow'' by ''Big Boys'' and ''Teaching You The Fear'' by ''Really Red''. Both were very good albums, I find it strange I've never heard about those bands before.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Boys are pretty much the best band ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The recommendation thread hasn't gotten back to me so I'm gonna cross post here:

My favorite punk band is probably Bomb the Music Industry!, particularly their more recent works (Vacation and Adults!). I would love some more bands that have their sense of big hooks, musicianship and lyrics (although the latter is not a must). I have the obvious Arrogant Sons of Bitches and Jeff Rosenstock solo work. Ska elements are fine but not needed.

I was also surprised at much I loved the most recent Captain, We're Sinking album, as I didn't think I would ever love that style. Any recommendations for modern punk in that vein? I already know the Menzingers, who are cool but I don't like as much.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
im answering the second part

spraynard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GawtwWmgxFw

the wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnaYN6odsVA

the loving cops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0kIxPW-2a8

should allbe close enough to captain we're sinking in some way or another

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Big Boys are pretty much the best band ever.

Is the Wreck collection worth buying for somone that likes their later work more?(Which is exactly the stuff they put on the Fat Elvis Compilation). The early stuff is good but doesn't do too much for me. I noticed there's songs on there I already have since they're on their other EP's/Albums. Also, I Think I'm in love with this band atm.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dylstew posted:

Is the Wreck collection worth buying for somone that likes their later work more?(Which is exactly the stuff they put on the Fat Elvis Compilation). The early stuff is good but doesn't do too much for me. I noticed there's songs on there I already have since they're on their other EP's/Albums. Also, I Think I'm in love with this band atm.

I'm not sure whats on the Wreck collection, but yeah The Fat Elvis collects their best material (although I like The Skinny Elvis too, the Frat Cars single is great).

edit: looked it up and I mean, all the stuff on there is good so yeah, buy it, why not?

Rabin_Crabmink
Mar 23, 2001

I hate them all except Turtleface.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The recommendation thread hasn't gotten back to me so I'm gonna cross post here:

My favorite punk band is probably Bomb the Music Industry!, particularly their more recent works (Vacation and Adults!). I would love some more bands that have their sense of big hooks, musicianship and lyrics (although the latter is not a must). I have the obvious Arrogant Sons of Bitches and Jeff Rosenstock solo work. Ska elements are fine but not needed.

I was also surprised at much I loved the most recent Captain, We're Sinking album, as I didn't think I would ever love that style. Any recommendations for modern punk in that vein? I already know the Menzingers, who are cool but I don't like as much.

Jeff and Chris Farren of Fake Problems put out an album a few months ago as Antarctigo Vespucci which is awesome.

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not sure whats on the Wreck collection, but yeah The Fat Elvis collects their best material (although I like The Skinny Elvis too, the Frat Cars single is great).

edit: looked it up and I mean, all the stuff on there is good so yeah, buy it, why not?

I just bought it on Itunes.
Appearantly it's an album with lives, demo's and most importantly: Songs that didn't make it to the albums. Which means that there's rare material on there not found on the elvis compilations or any other ep's/albums, so I got it. Just for the sake of completion xP.

edit: If you take away all of the songs already included on other albums, you have 39 minutes left of about 17 songs. I think many of the live versions are from ''Live at Raul's Club'', so if you don't have that you can get this instead.

Dylstew fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2014

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
If it's your thing, and they're not on your radar, The Priceduifkes should be.

http://thepriceduifkes.bandcamp.com

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I revisit Goodbye Cool World and Scrambles I'm like "woooah this
Is the best"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bowmore posted:

Every time I revisit Goodbye Cool World and Scrambles I'm like "woooah this
Is the best"

I was super ambivalent about Get Warmer until very recently and then it suddenly clicked with me and holy fuckin poo poo that's a great album. It's not Scrambles/Adults/Vacation tier, it's like half a step behind Cool World but Jeeeesus.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I'm seeing Jeff next weekend in Melbourne. I love and am super familiar with Warmer/Scrambles/Vacation, but I've been binging on Cool World after getting it about a week ago and it's so good.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Literally The Worst posted:

I was super ambivalent about Get Warmer until very recently and then it suddenly clicked with me and holy fuckin poo poo that's a great album. It's not Scrambles/Adults/Vacation tier, it's like half a step behind Cool World but Jeeeesus.
I love them all, no shame. Album Minus Band and Others get the least amount of plays by me though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tnimark posted:

I'm seeing Jeff next weekend in Melbourne. I love and am super familiar with Warmer/Scrambles/Vacation, but I've been binging on Cool World after getting it about a week ago and it's so good.
I'm in so much pain that I can't afford a plane ticket to get down there :(

Dylstew
Nov 24, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

I've actually never liked vacation at all, and I only like half of scrambles. I don't get the praise for Vacation at all. I love the rest though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dylstew posted:

I've actually never liked vacation at all, and I only like half of scrambles. I don't get the praise for Vacation at all. I love the rest though.

Vacation is basically the perfect last album for BtMI: All their other stuff is really weird eclectic "man you know what would be rad" songs about being sad and unable to grow up and kinda working through that, and then you have just a straight up indie punk album about how yeah you're broke and stuck at 23 forever but whatever man life rules let's go party.

Also Campaign For A Better Next Weekend and Vocal Coach are a great one two punch.

edit: THe whole first half is super good.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The first half of the first song on Vacation is about having to ride your bike to the post office because your mailman is a dick, and on the way you get hit by a car and the moral of the whole story is "I shouldn't have worn shorts" and if you don't love that, then you are a terrible person.