Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Stay away from teak. because of the nature of the wood and how it's grown, it has embedded in it dirt and sand particles which you can imagine are very bad for your knife.
Thanks, I forgot about teak. My dad told me that when he was in carpentry school, the shop had a strict "no teak" rule because it was so hard on the tools. I don't know how that would translate into the effect of a cutting board, since obviously a tool would need to penetrate more of the wood than a knife, but it seems like a no-brainer that it's harder on knives than it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I've had that standard entry-level Victorinox Fibrox chef's knife for a while now and I'm starting to want something better. I know the Tojiro DP Gyutou gets talked up a lot as a great buy; is it enough of an upgrade from the Victorinox to be worth upgrading, or is it what I should have bought instead of the Victorinox and I should now be looking at higher-end stuff?

A couple other questions as well.

- I do these things with my cooking knives: promptly hand wash and hand dry; use honing steel; store in their sleeve in the drawer. I do not oil this knife or anything. Do I need to start oiling if I buy these or do these also not require it?

- Is storing these in their sleeves okay? I'm in an apartment, I can't mount magnetic knife bars on the wall or anything and I don't own a knife block, although I would buy one if you guys tell me I need to. (Do they even make knife blocks that don't come in sets?)

- I have a cheap KitchenAid honing steel. (I like that it gives me a guide to help me get the angle right.) Is this okay for a knife like the Tojiros or do I need to get a ceramic rod?

- I cook almost exclusively vegetarian. Not quite, but very close. Should I get a nakiri instead of this? In addition to this?

- I have never actually sharpened this knife. Honed, yes. Sharpened, no. Is it worth taking a $40 knife to get sharpened? Where do I do this? I have a cheapo Accusharp thing that Amazon sold me for cheap along with the knife but I am pretty sure it is bad for the knife. On the other hand, it's a $40 knife. I don't really want to get super into sharpening my knives myself if I don't have to.

EDIT: Okay, now I am considering learning to sharpen my own. Bleh.

guppy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 3, 2014

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I take my $20 knife to get professionally sharpened every once in a while, its definitely worth it. 5 minutes on a grinding wheel and $3 can get as much done as as I can do in half an hour with a whetstone. Some restaurant supply stores have sharpening services and many hardware stores will do it too. If you live in a metro area you should have no problem finding one. Worst case, find a restaurant and ask who sharpens their knives.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Good to know, thanks. I asked around and apparently there is a guy who does great work at the farmer's market downtown.

Ended up ordering a Mac knife after talking to my professional chef buddy. It's this one. It's still okay to hone that on my metal honing steel, right?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Mac's a solid choice and definitely a step up from the Victorinox, so thumbs up there. Should be fine on the metal rod, though you might find you like the results better of a ceramic rod.

If you do decide you want to give sharpening a try, a relatively inexpensive option would be a DMT Duosharp. The pluses there are that you don't have to worry about soaking or flattening like you would with a waterstone.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I love watching an episode of something and cleaning up my wusthofs with that thing. It's real nice to use.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Word. Thanks.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I've been rolling sushi for a while and just bought my first yanagi which also happens to be my first carbon steel knife. I like how sharp it can get but am disappointed in how quickly it seems to lose its edge. After sharpening, it will lose that awesome sharpness during a second shift of use. Is this to be expected? I use a 2k stone to sharpen it but plan on getting a 5k stone soon. Will I just have to touch it up almost everyday to maintain that badass edge? This is the knife http://www.chefknivestogo.com/risawh2ya27.html

FishBowlRobot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 3, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

FishBowlRobot posted:

I've been rolling sushi for a while and just bought my first yanagi

pics or it didnt happen

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You shouldn't straight lose your edge every day, but you still have to hone it. Don't have any White #2 knives, so I can't say for sure, but I usually take my Blue #2 knives to the stone every 4-6 weeks. Just hone with a ceramic rod daily.

e: scratch that, I do have a white #2 knife, thing hardly ever has to be sharpened or honed.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 3, 2014

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You shouldn't straight lose your edge every day, but you still have to hone it. Don't have any White #2 knives, so I can't say for sure, but I usually take my Blue #2 knives to the stone every 4-6 weeks. Just hone with a ceramic rod daily.

e: scratch that, I do have a white #2 knife, thing hardly ever has to be sharpened or honed.

Thanks. The knife doesn't become useless, just doesn't glide right through fish and rolls. I have a ceramic rod labelled only as "medium," so I don't really know what grit it is. I'll probably just end up ordering the Idahone from CKTG when I get a 5k stone and see how it works out.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Alternatively you can hone it by doing a few edge trailing strokes on your stone.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I have a very similar issue with my Murata Buho Nakiri. I sharpen almost daily on a 1k grit waterstone wrapped in newspaper, and about once a week without newspaper. It seems to lose it's keen edge within about an hour or so of use, and becomes difficult to use for even basic tasks by the end of my shift. I'm pretty diligent about wiping it after use, but also haven't really developed a successful patina either.

I never really hone it at all, because I figured that's what the stone+newspaper was for, but maybe I'm mistaken in that thought.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The new baby, she has arrived.

Unfortunately I cooked about a week and a half of food on Sunday, so it will be a little while before I can use it for anything meaningful. But man is it pretty.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Ugh, making sashimi with a chef's knife isn't really working too well. You guys think a regular slicer/sujihiki is sufficient or does the single bevel of a yanagiba really help?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I do fine with my gyuto, but it's super thin. Suji works well, but I do want to get around to ordering a lefty yanagiba around 300mm.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Ugh, making sashimi with a chef's knife isn't really working too well. You guys think a regular slicer/sujihiki is sufficient or does the single bevel of a yanagiba really help?

It's a different cutting style for single bevel knives, so know if you get one there may be a bit of a learning curve.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

The new baby, she has arrived.

Unfortunately I cooked about a week and a half of food on Sunday, so it will be a little while before I can use it for anything meaningful. But man is it pretty.

niceee.

I got the dimpled santoku of that line pretty recently, I love it to death. I should pick up a chef's knife eventually.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
My parents are getting my gf and I some knives as a housewarming gift. Budget has a soft cap of $250. I've already picked an 8" gyuto and a 3.5" paring knife (it's the Shun classic set. I know it's not the GWS favorite for value but they're pretty, I really like the D handle, and it's a gift). I've also really been wanting a Nakiri for a long time, so I'm gonna grab either a Richmond Artifex 7" or a Tojiro DP 6.5".
So I'm left with roughly $40-50 to play around with. I'm kind of deciding between a 5-6" petty (MAC superior cause I love it's doofy looks, Fujiwara FKM, or Richmond Artifex) or just a decent pair of kitchen shears like the basic Tojiros.
Another option is using my parents' Direct Buy membership to get a Shun Classic 8" gyuto, 6" utility knife, 3.5" paring knife, and 6.5" nakiri for $270 shipped. Great deal but I don't really want all the knives to be the same, I'd like to try out at least a couple other brands to inform my future decisions. Plus ship time from them is like 10 weeks.
TLDR: Would you rather have a 5-6" petty/utility knife or a nice pair of shears?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Personally I would go for good petty and lovely shears.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

martinlutherbling posted:

TLDR: Would you rather have a 5-6" petty/utility knife or a nice pair of shears?
That's awful big for a petty knife. If I'm reaching for a smaller blade it's because I'm doing something where a bigger one just won't loving fit, like if I'm doing whatever the gently caress you call it when you scrape out the inside of a pepper without cutting it open, in which case a 6" blade is probably too big and I'd be using a wee paring knife anyway.

Kitchen shears are must-have poo poo, but a better-than-they-need-to-be pair should still only run you like US$20.

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
People say they are overpriced. Perhaps, but people say that about lots of things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Allantois fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 1, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
your laguioles remind me of my laguioles and how loving much I love them.

my best man gave me a set for our wedding gift and I'll probably <3 him until I die for it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anyone know much about Laguiole steak knives? Came across these at local discount store and was wondering if they're legit.

Edit: on sale for 20bux for 6.

edit2 :holy frames batman

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 3, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

That's not the stamping I'm familiar with, but I'm going to need a bigger pic to tell for sure.

Edit: Here's a product image lifted off an online store. It's the stamping I've seen before. It isn't unusual for cutlery companies to change markings semi-regularly though, but I don't know the history for Dubost.

SubG fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 3, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyone know much about Laguiole steak knives? Came across these at local discount store and was wondering if they're legit.

serrations are a little chunky

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
jean dubost has a real website and is really french. legit as in good? or legit as in french made?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

d3rt posted:

jean dubost has a real website and is really french. legit as in good? or legit as in french made?
They're not crap (or at least the Dubost knives I've handled aren't) but they're not a high-end manufacturer of Laguiole knives (like, say, Chazeau), if that's what you're asking.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I recently got a stainless Shun chef's knife (made from VG10) as a gift. Up until now, I've done most of my work with Henckels, which require fairly frequent honing / sharpening, being soft German steel. Am I correct in that I should be honing much less often with the Shun, and if so, how often? The Henckels usually get a couple passes before every use, should I be looking at once a week instead?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

I recently got a stainless Shun chef's knife (made from VG10) as a gift. Up until now, I've done most of my work with Henckels, which require fairly frequent honing / sharpening, being soft German steel. Am I correct in that I should be honing much less often with the Shun, and if so, how often? The Henckels usually get a couple passes before every use, should I be looking at once a week instead?

Hone before every use. It's not going to take any metal off like sharpening, it's just aligning the cutting edge.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

d3rt posted:

They aren't french made - I did a bunch of research into them. Well, I'm 90% sure they aren't french made. They are 1/3rd the price of the average french made one, in any case.

BUT - they are very high quality (the real ones), and honestly a dubost knife was the first "Laguiole" I ever handled was what made me go like 'holy poo poo I need to look into whoever makes these knives because they're awesome'. The set I have at home is serrated dubost with assorted wooden handles - and I love them to death. I think they cost around $175-250 for 6.

That said,GrAviTy84 - those look a little bogus. The bee stamp on the handle and the shape of the handle shown looks spot on, but the blade looks all wrong. The serrations look way too wide and unpolished/roughly cut. But, like subG said though, they could just be super old and manufactured a totally different way nowadays. Mine look like SubG's picture, but with serrations.

edit: on closer look gravity - is it just me or is the cutting blade thinner than the tang running through the handle? It almost looks like the cutting blade has been riveted onto the handle. I'd wager a fake.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 4, 2014

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Their website has an image plastered all over it saying 100% made in Thiers, France. Think it's just a lie?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

d3rt posted:

Their website has an image plastered all over it saying 100% made in Thiers, France. Think it's just a lie?

Counterfeits are almost definitely a different story, and not one that the company can easily control.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They look just like some of the ones the restaurant I work at uses; we've got several different styles of Laguioles in rotation. I wouldn't be too quick to say counterfeit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Yond Cassius posted:

Counterfeits are almost definitely a different story, and not one that the company can easily control.

I thought Mindphux was saying that real Jean Dubost aren't French made.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
Can anyone recommend some decent knife skills videos on youtube? Most of the ones I've found are intended for total beginners (not that I'm an expert, but I don't need to be told not to hold my fingers under the blade), and generally focus on rock chopping with Western style blades.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

d3rt posted:

I thought Mindphux was saying that real Jean Dubost aren't French made.

I was.

I am/was probably mistaken. Thinking about it now, I've seen lots of counterfeits, which suggests that the real stuff must be authentic?

I think probably what is confounding my confusion, is that dubosts are a couple hundred dollars cheaper than any other "Laguiole" cutlery I have found. I got lost in a mad world of different laguiole manufacturers and authentic vs inauthentic markings when I started reading up on it all. And yet, I have a set of dubost knives, and they're loving great.

All said and done, I think my mate ordered my knives off http://www.laguiole-elite.com/ - and I've ordered a corkscrew off of http://www.laguiole-imports.com/ - so I can vouch for those two being legit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hey guys,

What stone would you recommend if I want to get my knives stupidly sharp? Oil or dry or wet doesn't matter, just preferably under $50. I am new to sharpening but am starting with a set of already very sharp Henckles if that matters.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
My Tojiro DP 8" Chef Knife just arrived; two weeks ahead of the earliest estimate! :woop:

I can't wait to try it after having to use a Walmart-special Henckel santoku for the last three years...

It's also much narrower than anything else I've got.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

In case anyone cares, Chefknivestogo finally restock their Ultimatum Chef knife in 52100 carbon steel.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riulcagy25.html

• Locked thread