Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Hat Thoughts posted:

Every time I see a new post in this thread I think the new episode is up, now I'm part of the problem.

It is now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I was entirely confident that it was the special guest and was really surprised when it wasn't

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
I really love how everyone is comfortable and immersed in their role. :allears:

Other than the obvious evidence pointing at Jinho, I am starting to believe that his attempts to persuade the others will continue to backfire in future episodes.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
This episode was kinda weak as far as the mystery goes. Finding out about the medicine so soon made the rest of the investigation pointless. It was pretty clever tho, gg

In other news the reveal of next week's guest makes me fangirl in the worst way and it's very hard to keep this post SA appropriate.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
And I continue my streak of getting the wrong person every episode. :negative:

I thought it would be pretty silly way for a doctor to kill his own wife. Oh maaaaaaaan.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Oh my, I actually remember reading about this crime in the news back then. That's so awesome.

Finding about the medicine and then finding the prescription papers in the doctors drawers cemented the fact that he was the murderer but I still got it wrong because I thought it couldn't be that easy. The cast, until this episode, hasn't found definitive evidence in any of their previous crimes so I thought there's got to be something else that they were missing. I guess they're getting better.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I assumed it was Jinho the moment that they put the medicine pieces together. In previous episodes it seemed like there was always definitive evidence that was taken the wrong way or missed. This time it felt like they found that evidence because matching the pill shapes and sizes and colors was pretty subtle (so long as all of the bottle labels were so detailed and had pills in them)

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I think it's kind of a side effect of the shortened format that it seemed 'too easy'. They didn't find the definitive evidence until the one-on-one interrogations, which would have been towards the end of the Part-two episode with the old format.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I think it's also the fact that the cast (and audience) keep thinking they're re-enacting a fictional murder mystery where a last minute twist is the norm, and obvious red herrings can never be trusted. In fact, every mystery is based on a real-life case, meaning when all the evidence points at someone, it's because they're guilty.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dunno man "based on" is a real loose term and I doubt they're that accurate beyond the broadest strokes (Doctor poisoned his wife)

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Based on real life doesn't mean anything, especially when there's a red herring character in every case and they are almost always fooled by it.

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
It seems like there is always one character that never has a valid method/motive The driver, the delivery guy, the lifer

This episode did feel a bit weaker.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Knives and Hot Dust posted:

It seems like there is always one character that never has a valid method/motive The driver, the delivery guy, the lifer

This episode did feel a bit weaker.

Didn't the lifer sort of have both?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

JakeP posted:

Didn't the lifer sort of have both?

He had no method

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It was kinda weird how the chicken delivery guy was so clean this week, he had absolutely nothing.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
What do they win at the end of Crime Scene? Did I miss where they explained the prize at the end? Or is there none? Cause they get gold coins but they seem to mean absolutely nothing.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Going by the prizes on running man those coins are actual solid gold and they get to keep them.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The real deduction game is figuring out if Jinho and Yoonji are actually dating. They do seem to be getting along awfully well :tinfoil:.

This episode did turn out to have a fairly obvious killer, while I'm disappointed to see it go down like that it was nice to see everybody on the same page and able to pick up on really obvious clues, after seeing them miss some obvious stuff in the past.

EvilElmo posted:

What do they win at the end of Crime Scene? Did I miss where they explained the prize at the end? Or is there none? Cause they get gold coins but they seem to mean absolutely nothing.

Solid gold coins of that weight and quantity are probably worth at least $1,000 a bag, if not more. They look like they were custom made for the show as well, which could give them added collectable value.

They're basically getting a bag of Korean Dubloons when they win, and I can't imagine any of them are appearing on the show without at least some base payment regardless of whether they win or lose, so it certainly seems like they're doing fine on their end.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 5, 2014

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Oh right.

I thought they were kidding when they said it was real gold.

edit: Just watched the first episode of the second season of The Genius. Glad that douchebag got eliminated.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 5, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That episode was the funniest one to date. It had some of what I liked about Genius season 1 with everyone just laughing and having such a good time.

Every single time the TV thing buzzed that special guest woman jumped a mile, and I cracked up.
Then Jinho saying, "When I was in here (interrogation room), Delivery Kang, that weird bastard, found some medicine," which also made me laugh, along with the call with the daughter when Jinho said, "Come back home and meet your mom." Hahaha pretty funny. And, of course, this:

Jinho didn't really put together a good case against anyone else which is what wrapped this one so convincingly so quickly. He needed to focus in on the Administrator or the housemaid instead of Beauty Park, since there was no way for Beauty Park to have done it. He must have known going in how he'd done the murder (switched the prescription) so he should have already had in mind who else he could pin that on and how to do it. The constantly frightened guest player made a better case for the housemaid than Jinho did.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Fast Luck posted:

That episode was the funniest one to date. It had some of what I liked about Genius season 1 with everyone just laughing and having such a good time.

Every single time the TV thing buzzed that special guest woman jumped a mile, and I cracked up.
Then Jinho saying, "When I was in here (interrogation room), Delivery Kang, that weird bastard, found some medicine," which also made me laugh, along with the call with the daughter when Jinho said, "Come back home and meet your mom." Hahaha pretty funny. And, of course, this:

Jinho didn't really put together a good case against anyone else which is what wrapped this one so convincingly so quickly. He needed to focus in on the Administrator or the housemaid instead of Beauty Park, since there was no way for Beauty Park to have done it. He must have known going in how he'd done the murder (switched the prescription) so he should have already had in mind who else he could pin that on and how to do it. The constantly frightened guest player made a better case for the housemaid than Jinho did.

The problem is that the Administrator had no motive once the method of death was found since the firing had only occurred on the day and the murdering began a week prior. So once they figured that out the doctor was the only one who had motive and opportunity. I think Jinho was probably right to try for Beauty Parks, because she was clearly insane and that she was the one suspected originally by many and some people get fixated on the first impression. Really though I think Jinho was just screwed in this one, should have picked the chicken delivery man

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought he could have made a much stronger case on Beauty Park. She could easily(?) have snuck into the medication room while "going to the washroom" or something. They didn't know that the meds needed days to work until the reveal, and it's very true that a patient will learn their way around medications as they go through the process of seeing doctors and being prescribed various things for various reasons.

Also, the side effects being listed on the loving bottles can be swayed to a layman, notably Beauty and Maid.

Embarrassingly, I thought it wasn't Jinho because he was stuttering. Guess he's a smart cookie on that front.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
The main reason why wasn't likely it was Beauty Park was because the murder was premeditated and it didn't really fit her profile. To me, given that it was premeditated it was likely that the criminal would have something to gain from it rather revenge ruling out the admin. That and the time line didn't quite fit, but there was always the chance something wasn't discovered. I still wasn't sure if it was Jinho or not because it didn't make a lot of sense that a doctor would overlook that some sort of autopsy would've been performed revealing the drugs.

The cast did make a really good point in that the doctor was the one that persuaded the victim to get the plastic surgery which I didn't think of at all.

They are getting a lot better with each episode, so hopefully it won't be too dull a few eps down the line.

Does anyone know how long the show will run? Will it just be the 10 episodes this season with a chance for renewal or will it run indefinitely?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Cute n Popular posted:

I still wasn't sure if it was Jinho or not because it didn't make a lot of sense that a doctor would overlook that some sort of autopsy would've been performed revealing the drugs.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

After I watched the episode it dawned on me that if the daughter noticed the symptoms on the phone, the husband as a doctor would surely notice them too and know there was something wrong.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'd love to see this get picked up for an American version-- low budget, about this level of campy, two hours with ads. I could see a cable channel picking this up to fill some time.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Teddybear posted:

I'd love to see this get picked up for an American version-- low budget, about this level of campy, two hours with ads. I could see a cable channel picking this up to fill some time.

It would be on VH1 and it would be terrible.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The only show like it in America I could think of was where they did a reality show around a similar concept, Whodunit I believe it was called. This could work great as either a game show with a rotating cast or a celebrity show with a mostly stably cast similar to the Korean version.

I think reality T.V. is too tied up with trying to capture real-life drama to realize that a game where one person is trying to fool everyone, they interrogate each other, make jokes at each others expense, and gather clues is actually pretty drat compelling. With so many shows following the survivor/big brother format of: wacky games, and they're around each other all day so watch that too! It'd be nice to see something more nuanced and that requires some thought to enjoy.

A shorter, 1-hour gameshow version of this would be great for the game show network I think, or a similarly small cable show. It can't be hard that expensive to set up the different scenes and stories.

Since Law and Order is cancelled too, I'd love to see actors from that pop up as guest stars too. There's actually a real glut of law or criminal dramas past and present, so you could fill the show with guest stars from those, or make the celebrity version with various actors who were on that type of show, but haven't had amazing careers sine then.

Basially, as is always the case, an American version of this Korean show would be awesome, and we're never going to get it. We're too busy stealing shows from the U.K.

P.S. I loved the guest star from the last episode getting constantly startled, and then finally just calmly saying she got used to it at the end of the episode.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The UK might make it work, too. It's got to be celebrity/actors who can sell their roles and also sell being the criminal.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

Teddybear posted:

The UK might make it work, too. It's got to be celebrity/actors who can sell their roles and also sell being the criminal.

Considering the success of other quiz/panel shows that work well with a consistent cast, like QI, the UK work work well with this television format.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

U.K. would be just fine with me. Maybe they could rope in a former Doctor like Matt Smith or David Tennant for one episode and then everyone can flip their freakin lid.

Or oh god, Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington in one episode. I'm sure I'm way overestimating the people they could get for it, but now I want a U.K. version more than an American one. Make it happen goons!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Crime Scene subbed episode 9 is now up.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
That was a good episode, however, I feel in my heart that this show would be better with no guest and just another regular cast member.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I agree, or at least a more regular rotation of guest cast. The main cast generally got better at finding clues as the game went on, and I think the experience would be helping guests as well to fish for clues and piece things together.

Since next week's the finale, I hope there's a chance it's brought back for another season at some point.

Teek fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 10, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Ah Hyunmoo, he may be a bad detective, but he is an awesome criminal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This was a fantastic episode.

The football theme was mad fun. By the end, the only people I'd really ruled out were Jinho and girlfriend. I guess I also had a decently good feeling about the junior referee. It was also nice that the cast missed the clinch clue, like the extra button in the school episode.

All that said, the preview has me PUMPED for the finale.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wasn't really feeling Park as the culprit until near the end when she exploded and told everyone to vote on her. It was impossible to not think of a certain precedent!

But the possibility of being Hyunmoo never seriously crossed my mind, during the entire episode he framed it as a crime that was made to look like it was Jinho (if it wasn't him). And it totally got me.

Zythrst posted:

Ah Hyunmoo, he may be a bad detective, but he is an awesome criminal.

His long term strategy of acting phony in every episode finally paid off! :v:

Actually I think his briefing was exceptionally great, so maybe that should've looked a bit more suspicious...

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

His long term strategy of acting phony in every episode finally paid off! :v:

Actually I think his briefing was exceptionally great, so maybe that should've looked a bit more suspicious...

Lawyer also is kind of set up nicely if he gets to be the criminal, because he has precident for being in the backround and focusing on one player.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 10, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I had a feeling it was the reporter from just before the first vote, I don't even remember why. For the motive I was thinking of self defense at first but the whole fanboy reveal really cemented it for me. Those people are loving scary.

Speaking of, Key was delightful and I am 100% biased :3:

The finale looks really promising and I'm happy they're bringing back the detective guy.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The biggest twist of all is that The gold coins actually were worthless after all. I was sure they were legit!

Looking forward to the finale. Definitely a huge advantage to landing the criminal for this last game, I hope the last criminal ends up being someone rad like Jinho or NS Yoonji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, there goes my three week winning streak. Thanks a lot Hyunmoo.

At first I figured the killer was likely a guy since it was such a brutal murder. Then at some point I got swayed to being sure it was Park. But drat Hyunmoo's apparently been playing the long con here, his comments had me sure it wasn't him.

I was really surprised Park didn't pick up on it making no sense that the victim grabbed a flag as a dying message (and that no one brought that up). If his body had been in the souvenir shop, maybe, but it's unlikely he would have grabbed it before dying and then not only get moved with it still in his hand, but also have the killer not remove it or have it dropped when he was moved into the goal. Her completely missing that was probably the main reason I was suspicious of her, it just seemed so flimsy.