Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Tatankatonk: permission to have the AT gun towed a few meters north of Abra? The gun is useless in the city proper and I don't think setting up near the crossing point is a good idea. Either we don't see anything or draw indirect fire on the whole battalion.

Near Abra the only thing we can get killed is ourselves, and I'd like that long Los covered by forest on the south. We might get the Germans to deploy, making them a better target for our arty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
As company commander I have direct control over the truck.

Hob Gadling: No. The truck still has to get the HMG teams across the river, and at any rate there's going to be an IS-2 or two at Abra. If they can't kill what they see with their 122mm guns, you won't be able to either. Your gun also takes a while to deploy, and it's just too much bother right now to send the truck out on a scouting mission when there's troops already doing that.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
May I have a platoon? Any will do, though I'd prefer to be in a company that can put me at the front or the end of a flank.
Works out for me that we reset things, I can't run a company with occasional wifi on an IPhone.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Going with the tanks would just be adhering to the +1 principle. But fair enough, I'll go where the truck goes.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Wait, I think it might actually be under your command? Since it's subordinate to the support commanders? Either way, the order still stands. The truck gets used to shuttle people around until we make contact.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Grey Hunter posted:

Now we're onto deployment, can people mark on a map (or a section of said map) where they want their units to be deployed.

I'll get onto getting the units into the game as soon as possible.

Remember, the first "turn" will be five minutes long unless stuff starts to happen earlier.

Let's get the company commanders in on this in a hurry, I suppose, so we don't hold anything up. Sounds like the tanks and trucks will exit from the opening for safety and everyone else will go up from the forest. Simple.

Can you deploy units already on a tank? If so it might be simpler to just let The Boss do it all so we don't mess something up accidentally.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Readingaccount posted:

May I have a platoon? Any will do, though I'd prefer to be in a company that can put me at the front or the end of a flank.
Works out for me that we reset things, I can't run a company with occasional wifi on an IPhone.

I think you have the wrong thread? We're fully staffed, and you signed up for the German team.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Let's get the company commanders in on this in a hurry, I suppose, so we don't hold anything up. Sounds like the tanks and trucks will exit from the opening for safety and everyone else will go up from the forest. Simple.

Can you deploy units already on a tank? If so it might be simpler to just let The Boss do it all so we don't mess something up accidentally.

You can indeed deploy with units on tanks, in trucks, etc. Every vehicle has a number of slots for passengers, and during the deployment phase you just have to select a unit and click on the vehicle you want carrying it. Different vehicles can carry different numbers of troops- the Studebaker can carry 12, a T-70 can only carry 4 or 5, I think.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Thanks for not freaking, I think between posting here instead of in my signed faction and being on an IPhone for another 3 weeks I'll withdraw from the game if that isn't already necessary.

Edit: checked the original thread and original googledoc, both are for Germany... really sorry guys :(, the last few days of another thread and then IPhone and travelling has scrambled my brain.

Good luck!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 4, 2014

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I agree, we should start/deploy with the troops already on tanks, guns limbered and support teams in the trucks. It's a hassle trying to get a vehicle to wait until it's fully boarded before leaving, so if this is sorted out ahead of time then the tanks and trucks can roll straight out.

Still think we should have a google doc for keeping track of who has submitted orders and/or for keeping the orders in one easy-to-read place for Grey.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Ugh. That's a lot of new posts.

Someone can PM me the Roll20 link, btw.

Quick question - how steep is the elevation around reference line NO 9-10? I'd like the Cerulean crossers to approach the Ford with their front armor facing danger, if possible.

RedLobster, welcome aboard (literally) - if you can order your platoon to board during deployment appropriately (one squad per T-34, tank hunter team on T-70) that would be pleasant.

I may have missed this - which of my brave cavalrymen in T-70s volunteers to cross at Cerulean?

Details to follow.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank) - Zhar-ptitsa

Gray Hunter, deploy me at Q-14. One of Red Lobster's SMG teams will be riding my tank at the start. Catch-a-riiiide!

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 4, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Quick question - how steep is the elevation around reference line NO 9-10? I'd like the Cerulean crossers to approach the Ford with their front armor facing danger, if possible.

Steep enough that it can cover you until you're less than 50 yards from the ford. Just keep everybody east and north of the slope and you should be good. The only spot to worry about is in front of the ford where you'll have to turn north to cross. If the turn hasn't been processed by this evening, I'll post some pics after work.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Would it be possible for the IS-2's to give infantry a ride from Q14 to P11 before they turn west towards M10 or would the disembarking process slow us down too much?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Thanks, dublish. Tankers heading to Cerulean should take note. I'll mention that again later, if there's any confusion.

Asehujiko posted:

Would it be possible for the IS-2's to give infantry a ride from Q14 to P11 before they turn west towards M10 or would the disembarking process slow us down too much?

That's a call for our overall commander, I'd say. I'd prefer we be unencumbered, personally, but if having part of a platoon be less fatigued is sufficiently valuable....

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Ok guys I guess I should have done this earlier but we need to have a chat about this terrible bookkeeping.

When you give orders!
You WILL use the orders img here: http://i.imgur.com/QpKqe8y.jpg

You WILL only use it once per game turn.

IF you have change your orders, you WILL quote your orders, with the order image, and make it VERY clear to grey that you are and what you are changing.

Clarification
The SMG squad will start mounted on the T-34 tanks, and their attached AT team will start on a T-70. They will start at the edge of the deployment zone in hex Q-14 and they will use the quick command to cross Cerulean ford. They will do so moving asap in the grass and not stopping. Then they will take the road up to OP Diglett, let the infantry off, and will then receive further orders from their commanding officer.

This first part is the only time I will order you guys specifically (afterwards it will be the company commander) but you will follow orders to the best of your ability.

Trucks I had under the AT Gun commanders but that can change. They will follow orders from their company commanders and will relinquish control of the truck when they are ordered. There are plenty of places in town that are good set up positions, as for it being tight, well this is 1944 brother the 76mm ain't the biggest gun on the battlefield anymore and you might NEED to be close. The trucks will start in hex Q-14, behind the tanks, power over Pallet, and then get in town and disgorge their soft innards. We can talk about spots for the AT guns, but I've already mentioned a few that will give you at least 500 meters of distance in the town to aid the infantry. You need to be there at least a couple minutes before the other guy remember.

Also HMGS and Guns and whatever else are riding in the trucks will start in the truck.

Examples.
So I guess I'll do a who's who of the glorious Red Army Goon Edition Deluxe Set a little later so you guys know who you are, what you have, etc. but for right now let me talk specifically more about orders and formations.

Now I've seen a lot of posts about splitting your squads up and different teams and all that is nice and might come into play later but for right now I want you guys to keep it simple. Russians in this game get a morale penalty when they are split so there is a actual reason outside of laziness to keep your men in their normal formation. For now I just want you guys to get comfortable with who you have, how they move, etc. so no splitting until we are across the river.

THAT SAID:

In one of my original posts I said never put a squad where you have not put a team. Apparently no one read that and none of you realized you have a SCOUT TEAM. THEY GO FIRST. Followed by the other platoons, followed by the HQ. SMG teams don't worry about it until we are across the river, you might not even need them depending on how fast the Germans get to the rail yard.

So now for the actual examples for an order from a T-34

Grey Set me up at the edge of hex Q-14. Move Quick staying in the grass to Ford Cerulean at hex L/M-8 and onto the road, continueing to the crossroads at hex L-6 will I will turn right, enter the wheat field, and stop at the edge of the woods north.

So if you read carefully there was a mistake, this is how I want you to fix it!
[quote

Monocletophat posted:

Grey Set me up at the edge of hex Q-14. Move Quick staying in the grass to Ford Cerulean at hex L/M-8 and onto the road, continueing to the crossroads at hex L-6 will I will turn right, enter the wheat field at hex K-5/6, and stop at the edge of the woods north.

Grey Im altering my orders.
Turn left at the cross roads, not right!

Or you could do this on the map with dots and line, that works too. Just keep a few things in mind:
Be clear!
Do it once and do it right!
Follow orders or I will shoot you!

dtkozl fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Orders for 1'1'2 will be up this evening, as soon as I'm back from work and have a bit of time to make sure I'm clear with my orders.

Roll20 invite request sent - again - I'm just really bad at e-mail addresses apparently?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Hey dtkozl, Check your emails please.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

tatankatonk posted:

1. Company

General Orders

All three platoons will move from deployment to Grid Q9 and assemble in cover while armor and 2. Co. fords the river. After they've crossed, the company will follow and assemble around OP Bulbasaur, with 1st Platoon and 2nd Platoon leading. 3 Platoon will follow in reserve. All Platoons, if still unengaged, will advance west to occupy a line at OPs Diglett and Eevee, where we will support 2. Co. and react to enemy movements.

Specific Orders
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and all support sections unless otherwise noted, move to Q9 to wait to cross. 1.3, detach your flamethrower team to accompany Battalion HQ to OP Abra. The Studebaker will tow the AT-gun to Q9 by skirting the trees immediately north of the deployment zone, carrying the company's HMGs. Kaislock and Davin Valkri, load your HMG sections into the truck. Tetrakarn, your sniper team will accompany Company command until you're detached with specific orders. Company command will follow the platoons to Q9 on foot. Platoons will march in column (Company in file), 1.1 first, then 1.2, then 1.3. Platoons 1.1 and 1.2 will face west and Platoon 1.3 will face north across the river. All platoon leaders will be responsible for spacing their men out to avoid clustering. If necessary for spacing, deploy a little further northwest of the marked objective but stay out of the approach of 2. Co. and armor elements.

The pace of the movement north will be the 'Move' command.

Grey I changed my orders, here is the final set. Please deploy 1st Company at the northern end of the deployment zone, in grids R13 and S13.

duckfoot
Nov 9, 2009
I volunteer to be the first T-70 over the river, for the glory of the motherland! Plus it's my first time, so it makes sense for me to go out early.

uPen posted:

You're just trying to get me killed, I understand.

T-70 vs a 37mm cannon, shaded areas are angles and distances which could result in penetration of the armor.

Will I have smoke cover?
:ohdear:

edit: Asehujiko, yes it's me!

duckfoot fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 4, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Asehujiko posted:

I've imported our map into roll20, which allows our commanders to put up real time directions and names on the map with an inbuilt chatroom, with archive, all stored serverside. It's a p&p game simulator so it also has support for text files for use as character sheets, for which I can set up multiple owners so I can make a "character sheet" for each position editable by that player and their superior to serve as a place for orders.

It's free and better yet, invite only so send me an email at username underscore at hotmail dot com and confirm it's you in this thread so I can hook you up with the invite url. dtkozl, if you want to be admin of the room, just ask. Grey himself is of course also welcome to take a look.

Roll20 accounts can be acquired here: https://app.roll20.net/account/create

Sent you an email.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Asehujiko posted:

There is no need it is a long walk to the river and beyond and we are in no rush. Plus the distance you are talking is fairly meaningless.

Company commanders you guys are going to have to keep track of your platoon leader's/support leader's orders. I can't keep track of everything and I don't have a dedicated XO this game. So make sure they are in and they are right. I'll watch you and you watch them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Speaking of which, here's some

1CO/3PLT

Alright, CO's orders are pretty unambiguous. Flamethrower team is to MOVE to OP ABRA/M11 alongside the Battalion HQ. The rest of the platoon is to MOVE in standard formation behind 1st and 2nd Platoon to the indicated point at Q/R9, before moving up to take cover in the trees next to the crossing in the bottom-left corner of R8.

That look good? Like I said before, I'm new to this game so just let me know if anything needs to be modified.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

3CO/T-70 HQ

First turn is 5 minute right? 5 minutes in a T-70 is a lot of ground.
Start at Q-14, follow outlined route. QUICK speed the entire way. I would like to be facing SSW at the end of the 5 minutes. Remain unbuttoned.

uPen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 4, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Why do you want to be facing SSE?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The two units going to Abra ought to hop on the IS-2s. You're going to the same place and otherwise Flamethrowers hustle like rear end and they don't have commanding binocs. No reason to not.

T-34 HQ

Alright gang, follow my lead.

Deploy on the edge of the clearing, close to the north with as narrow of a turn angle to head straight to the fords.

Unbutton.

With a load of 2nd Platoons SMG troops, move with all QUICK speed to OP Diglet, taking any required slow caution to cross Ford Cerulean. Once at OP Diglet, hold there for the mans to hop off. If that's a option, the gun should be facing to the west for the duration of the journey.

If there is still time in that five minute window, we'll move. T-34 gang, we're to screen the advancing blob up so they don't get caught by any rushing tanks or anything of the sort, so we'll spread out some. I'll take the middle area, one of you watch the tracks and north (Probably huddling up on the tracks, really.) and the other duck to the south. Keep your head down by a building or something.

I will huddle/hunt against the building in J10 keypad six, OP Eevee, on the north side staring down to the west.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Why do you want to be facing SSE?

Because I'm an idiot.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Company 2 Headquarters.

All of our assets are going into town with us. I will lead our glorious foot charge to Ford Pallet. Our troops need a good spacing between one another, and if the SMGs can, hop onto the T-34s, they so kindly offered to have us.

The MGs and AT assets will still enter via Ford Pallet. Maxims are in the Studebaker. When any troops are unmounted,move quick. Two SMG group should dismount early at OP Eevee in order to hold the two buildings on the road.

HQ will cross Pallet and hold up in OP Bulbasaur.

If available, smoke cover will go up at Ford Lavender courtesy of our mortar teams.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

So, for the joint tank-infantry mounted force (that's Krysmphoenix, Gamerofthegame, and Grumio in the T-34s and duckfoot in the T-70, along with RedLobster's platoon):

This is the general movement I think you should plot for this stage, to take advantage of the screening ridge and to avoid trees.

Please alter the initial line slightly so you do not ram each other twenty seconds on in a well-choreographed clusterfuck. (would a ten-second order delay be appropriate?)

I'd suggest the platoon leader should be on the lead T-34, but that's up to the infantry.

I'll trust you to individually orient your tanks appropriately once approaching DIGLETT.

(I'm not gonna draw lines for you on the reg, don't worry)

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

uPen posted:

Start at Q-14, follow outlined route. QUICK speed the entire way. I would like to be facing SSW at the end of the 5 minutes. Remain unbuttoned.

I appreciate your aggression, but I feel like the rest of the tanks will be a sufficient force at DIGLETT, at least in the very short term.

Would you consider amending so that, from BULBASAUR, you move north to carefully approach the railroad cut? Putting a tube and eyes looking down the track ASAP seems valuable. I'd hope simplefish would work with you.

If you get hit by a train, I promise not to tell your wife how you died.

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!

2ND COMPANY 2ND PLATOON
Gonna deploy my platoon on T-34S and take the tanks to diglett and disembark.
Once we're off my platoon will split up like so, hiding in the wood ready to shoot German scum.

Red is squad 1 blue is 2 purple is 3 and yellow is tank hunter.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Abosolutely. Am I going to be mounting an HMG or other weapon squad? Getting a heavy weapon looking down the tracks by the end of the first orders phase could be useful.

uPen posted:

3CO/T-70 HQ

Revised Orders for 3CO/T-70 HQ
Follow highlighted route at QUICK speed until the treeline north of Bulbasaur is reached then proceed at MOVE speed. I would like to end facing WEST. Remain unbuttoned.

uPen fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 4, 2014

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

1 co AT

Limber up and enjoy the ride.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Company 2 Headquarters.

All of our assets are going into town with us. I will lead our glorious foot charge to Ford Pallet. Our troops need a good spacing between one another, and if the SMGs can, hop onto the T-34s, they so kindly offered to have us.

The MGs and AT assets will still enter via Ford Pallet. Maxims are in the Studebaker. When any troops are unmounted,move quick. Two SMG group should dismount early at OP Eevee in order to hold the two buildings on the road.

HQ will cross Pallet and hold up in OP Bulbasaur.

If available, smoke cover will go up at Ford Lavender courtesy of our mortar teams.

Herpicle, I put some alternative positions for my gun on the roll20 map, but for the moment I plan to put it in Q-4, facing down the railroad. 2co HMG Teams, I need to know where you want to be dropped off. Talk to you tonight.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

uPen posted:

Abosolutely. Am I going to be mounting an HMG or other weapon squad? Getting a heavy weapon looking down the tracks by the end of the first orders phase could be useful.

Thanks.

Maybe we can get one of the above 2co HMG teams - can the Maxims tank-ride, actually? Or are they basically very very small AT guns for movement purposes?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
ALRIGHT YOU DREGS, YOU HEARD THE MAN

2nd Company 3rd Platoon

Sounds like everyone's got a tank but us so deploy on the northernmost part of grid R12 or as close as we can get to it. Orient in a rough delta formation oriented north with the Tank Hunter squad taking point like so:

Keep at least 20 meters between squads. Move quick north-northeast to grid Q9. Cross the marsh at the least lovely most accessible point via Grid Q9. Upon reaching the south bank of Ford Pallet, SMG squads and HQ will hide go firm well within tree cover while the tank hunters move to the edge of the tree cover at the northwest edge of the southern bank hereish and attempt to establish the following sightline...

...in a good faith effort to spot the shitstorm of consequences 1st platoon may or may not be driving directly into at Cerulean, OP Evee and OP Diglett.

There, we'll hold up and await further marching orders as we begin the advance across Ford Pallet.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 4, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thanks.

Maybe we can get one of the above 2co HMG teams - can the Maxims tank-ride, actually? Or are they basically very very small AT guns for movement purposes?

The Maxims can tank tide and it's a small enough squad to fit on a T-70. The gunner just carries that motherfucker up onto the tank like a badass.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

That's great. Hey, Herpicle, can uPen borrow one of your HMG teams for a ride?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

1st platoon, 2nd SMG company

The platoon will deploy as follows:

AT team and 1st squad in the northernmost corner of the triangle, with 2nd and 3rd squad in the other corners.

The platoon will move as follows:

Yellow indicates quick movement, blue normal movement.

After reaching the objective north of OP Bulbasaur, the platoon will deploy as follows:

AT team and 1st squad in the structure ringed with red, 2nd squad and 3rd squad in the other rings, all units facing west.

(I didn't catch the scale of the map, so these orders will likely take more than 5 mins to carry out. They outline my intent for the first phase of the battle and will be amended as needed.)

Orders end.

To my fellow foot platoon leaders: I'm effectively calling dibs on crossing the ford first, so I'd appreciate it if the next platoon gives me a bit of a head start so we avoid bunching up per our commander's wishes.

To my CO: I think that running the men on quick pace all the way will tire them out pretty bad, so I put in some breathing opportunities while trying to preserve your intent of speedy movement.

brakeless fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 4, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

brakeless posted:

To my fellow foot platoon leaders: I'm effectively calling dibs on crossing the ford first, so I'd appreciate it if the next platoon gives me a bit of a head start so we avoid bunching up per our commander's wishes.

Yeah, that's my general idea. Also holding up at the ford will give my tank hunters time to glass Diglett and Evee while resting up some while you proceed. I am expecting a Fun Time at the ford while hoping that doesn't happen.

If everyone (or just Herp or dkotzl) want me to graph out a plan for the entire phase 1, I'll write up the bits past that, but I can't imagine we'll move up there, move the trucks, scouts, and 2 SMG platoons in five minutes without it being a clusterfucky everyone-for-themselves mad dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Didn't see Willie's post, just a sec.

Altered orders for 1st platoon, 2nd SMG company

brakeless posted:

1st platoon, 2nd SMG company

The platoon will deploy as follows:

AT team and 1st squad in the northernmost corner of the triangle, with 2nd and 3rd squad in the other corners.

The platoon will move as follows, after holding position for 30 seconds:

Yellow indicates quick movement, blue normal movement.

After reaching the objective north of OP Bulbasaur, the platoon will deploy as follows:

AT team and 1st squad in the structure ringed with red, 2nd squad and 3rd squad in the other rings, all units facing west.

(I didn't catch the scale of the map, so these orders will likely take more than 5 mins to carry out. They outline my intent for the first phase of the battle and will be amended as needed.)

Orders end.

• Locked thread