Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces

evil_bunnY posted:

The membrane has nothing to do with the face fabric.

When you are dealing with WL Gore it does.

When you work with them you're not just buying the membrane to slap into whatever, you are buying the waterproof fabric and seam tape and developing your product to WL Gore's specification of waterproof. Part of the reason people are willing to drop so much coin on Gore stuff even though it's no longer patented as a waterproof/breathable membrane is that they guarantee the waterproofness for the life of the product. WL Gore & Associates gets all up in your business when you use their materials, which is one of the reasons that as soon as there was a viable alternative to the Gore monopoly, most of the big names either jumped ship to stuff like eVent or developed their own membranes (or at least remarketed an existing alternative PTFE membrane).

Anyway, GoreTex Pro shell fabric is significantly more durable than the others, especially Paclite, and that's why it's used by professionals (guides, SAR, law enforcement, military, etc.) in heavy use environments. This is due to the face fabric and the lining since it's the same drat PTFE membrane inside all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I have an MSR SweetWater pump purifier. I got it as a gift 10 years ago, but have never used it- my backpacking buddies always shared theirs, so there just wasn't an occasion to use mine. I'm going on my first trip in a while on Saturday (just an overnight) and I'm wondering if I should replace the filter, or if it's still good. Thoughts?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The Beta AR is awesome! you should definitely get one so I can live vicariously through you.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I finally got out on Sunday. I don't drive right now, and I always work weekends when my husband is free, but my boss screwed up a time off request so I had Sunday free! I did a short jaunt up to a place called C-Level Cirque, near Banff on the east slope of Cascade Mountain. Cascade is one of our iconic peaks and if you've seen pictures of Banff, you've seen pictures of it because the town is built at it's base.

We chose a little hike instead of a summit because a lot of peaks aren't in condition yet, and I had just spent the last three days going to a bachelorette/drunk BBQ/spent 16 hours shooting a wedding then getting drunk again so I was not fit for anything big.

The cirque is only 450m/1500' vertical from the parking lot, really easy to get to. If anyone's in Banff and looking for a hangover hike I suggest it. There's also some neat coal mining history on the way.

Old mining building by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Modern art by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Ventilation shaft by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

C-Level Cirque by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

On the snow by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

Approaching the waterfall by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

The Bow Valley from C-Level Cirque by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

It was also very overcast, drizzling, and only about 10C/50F. Laying down on the snow in a tanktop for SnapChat purposes with my friends was a little chilly.

I've never wanted to "like" posts so bad on SA before

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

suboptimal posted:

I have an MSR SweetWater pump purifier. I got it as a gift 10 years ago, but have never used it- my backpacking buddies always shared theirs, so there just wasn't an occasion to use mine. I'm going on my first trip in a while on Saturday (just an overnight) and I'm wondering if I should replace the filter, or if it's still good. Thoughts?

If you've never used it and it's been nice and dry, it should be good to go.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

hmmmm, then why don't they make a version of the Beta LT w/ pit zips? :(
Because reasons. The Beta AR is already mixed fabrics (40 denier with 80 in wear areas), and there is no Beta SV anymore.

Speleothing posted:

Gore specifies certain minimum qualities of face fabric that can be paired with its membranes.
Right sorry I meant each manufacturer laminates their own stuff to the membrane. Cool street wear brands even make cotton/poly twill goretex laminates.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

i_heart_ponies posted:

Anyway, GoreTex Pro shell fabric is significantly more durable than the others, especially Paclite, and that's why it's used by professionals (guides, SAR, law enforcement, military, etc.) in heavy use environments. This is due to the face fabric and the lining since it's the same drat PTFE membrane inside all of them.

So I'm not doing any ice climbing or heavy use stuff. My main concern would just be from having my shell wet through if I'm doing some snow camping or backpacking in rain. If the Beta LT or LT Hybrid Gore is going to keep the rain out then I probably wouldn't really need the AR and would prefer the more compact/lightweight options. If the AR does a considerably better job of keeping you dry then it might be more important.

I already have a pair of Beta AR pants that are amazing for snow sports, just looking for something more for hiking and every day use from a shell.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Smoove J posted:

I'm gonna try my hand at Mt James this week for starters, hopefully the snow won't be a problem and even if it is I'm gonna do it.

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-james/420105
Let us know what this is like... I'm in pinedale after a week in the winds with FAR FAR too much snow. So I'd like to hear that James has... Less. But I'm not hopeful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I already have a pair of Beta AR pants that are amazing for snow sports, just looking for something more for hiking and every day use from a shell.
I have a beta AR that I use for every drat thing, including walking baby and biking to work. It'll be fine, and the reinforced wear areas are great: I fell off my bike on iced up gravel, tore my pants/knee/hand/elbow and the jacket was best described as "dusty".

If you have waterproof pants it's perfect for wet weather. And any membrane piece can wet out, but it'll only be the face fabric unless the membrane fails.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

BeefofAges posted:

If you've never used it and it's been nice and dry, it should be good to go.

Thanks! I aim to take some pictures on the trip, will post when I get back.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Let us know what this is like... I'm in pinedale after a week in the winds with FAR FAR too much snow. So I'd like to hear that James has... Less. But I'm not hopeful.

I'm gonna save James for next week, Going-To-The -Sun road was opened last night and I want to check out the pass. I anticipate climbing Clements Mountain (http://www.summitpost.org/west-ridge-route/444175), snowshoes & crampons the whole way. I climbed Red Crow yesterday, no pictures, sadly, but the snow's definitely melting, slowly but surely.

James next week, and also Natoas (here's a view of m'fin Mt Merritt from Natoas, & the Old Sun glacier http://images.summitpost.org/original/225711.JPG), and I finally figured out my route up Gannett for the end of this month (http://www.summitpost.org/glacier-trail/530102). Climb on

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So I work in a zoo, and I was going through some of our product in the gift shop when I found this in a Bear Smart playing card deck that was on display. Since we're still afraid of bears, I figured this was super useful information for those of us living and travelling in bear country:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I prefer to use my inflatable moat.

warderenator
Nov 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Picnic Princess posted:

So I work in a zoo, and I was going through some of our product in the gift shop when I found this in a Bear Smart playing card deck that was on display. Since we're still afraid of bears, I figured this was super useful information for those of us living and travelling in bear country:

Does a portable electric fence actually exist and does anyone do that?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It at least exists, I researched it after I got home from work. There's a couple of companies here in Canada that market fences specifically for back country camping. It's completely ridiculous to me. I just can't even imagine wanting to go out into the wilderness so bad to be legit 'remote' yet being so paranoid of nature to need a loving electric fence. When I saw this card at work I nearly fell on the floor laughing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

They totally exist, though usually they're used in the context of backcountry horse camping, mostly to keep the horse in than the bears out. Or for like.. temporary livestock enclosures.

Taking one backpacking because of bears is just :psyduck:

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
My dad took my brother and me on a rafting trip down the Rogue River once and one of the campsites had a battery-powered fence set up for food, we saw a bunch of bears across the river that night but the guides just kept the food on the rafts. We did convince my little brother to shock himself on the fence though

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Officer Sandvich posted:

We did convince my little brother to shock himself on the fence though

That is a pretty legit use of an electric fence.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I assumed that advice was for RV camping, though I guess there are other ways to legitimately get deep into the backcountry without having to carry that short of load on your shoulders.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

warderenator posted:

Does a portable electric fence actually exist and does anyone do that?

Totally exists. One of the coolest moments in my life was when I was in a little remote village in Alaska called Wales. Some crazy South Koreans had WALKED across the frozen Bering Straits. I got a chance to talk to them while we were waiting for the plane. They said they werent allowed to carry rifles on their journey so they had an electric fence that they put to good use. They actually had a polar bear stalking them the last couple of days and had to even shoot a flare towards it to attempt to keep some distance between them.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
An electric fence just sounds like a really efficient way to piss off the bear.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Some crazy South Koreans had WALKED across the frozen Bering Straits.

Adding this to the list of things I have to do before I die

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Save me jeebus posted:

An electric fence just sounds like a really efficient way to piss off the bear.

I suspect the intent would be to startle them just enough to make them get the gently caress outta there. Probably not good if it's a large polar bear that has decided you're food...

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

Clements Mtn

edit:

Hidden Lake

Clements itself. Lots of snow around the base, tons of snow, but once you get up to it there's none. Crampons helped on the approach, I was side-hilling on 45° snow/ice and the only ones able to get past that section were me and the goats, and there were hundreds of people there for opening day. Happy 4th.

Smoove J fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 5, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Well, stinging nettle sure is fun. I got a ton of it in my legs yesterday while out helping on a farm. Avoid this poo poo, friends, I wouldn't want to be on trail with these nasty rashes.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Picnic Princess posted:

Well, stinging nettle sure is fun. I got a ton of it in my legs yesterday while out helping on a farm. Avoid this poo poo, friends, I wouldn't want to be on trail with these nasty rashes.

I wish I had read this yesterday. I got some in my hand and my leg today while out on mountain climbing adventure. I can attest to the fact that it stings and it sucks.

Also found some creepy looking caterpillars

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I did a quick loop on the AT this weekend and went up to the top of Standing Indian Mountain.
Pretty awesome view.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

A Kpro posted:

I wish I had read this yesterday. I got some in my hand and my leg today while out on mountain climbing adventure. I can attest to the fact that it stings and it sucks.

Stinging nettles aren't that bad, the itching normally passes in 15-20 minutes - but you always bring some after sun lotion and rub that into the affected area.

You're allowed to complain when you fall face first into them!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Then I got something else, because it's been three days and the rashes are still there, still sore, one area is raised and every spot where there was a plant fibre embedded is now a blood blister :stare:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
At least it wasn't Giant Hogweed. Touch your face after that stuff and you'll go blind! :v:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Kidney Stone posted:

Stinging nettles aren't that bad, the itching normally passes in 15-20 minutes - but you always bring some after sun lotion and rub that into the affected area.

You're allowed to complain when you fall face first into them!

That poo poo stung for several hours. Possibly unrelated but my hands felt really tingly as the night wore on.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Picnic Princess posted:

Then I got something else, because it's been three days and the rashes are still there, still sore, one area is raised and every spot where there was a plant fibre embedded is now a blood blister :stare:

Yeah, you shouldn't normally end up with blood blisters from stinging nettles - could be a bad allergic reaction. Since it's been 3 days, I would go and see a doctor.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
For any hiking goons in the Southern California area, local outdoors store Adventure 16 is currently running a 3-Peak Challenge. Register at a store to get started and then climb Mt. San Antonio, Mt San Jacinto, and Mt San Gorgonio. Prizes are offered for completing in time frames of 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, or for the insane hikers 1 day. Its a good incentive to get out and hike and explore some of SoCal's local mountains.

Just did the challenge myself over the holiday weekend. Very doable in three days for anyone that hikes regularly. Can probably done easily in two days if you camp out on any of the mountains. Attempting to finish in one day should only be attempted if you know the trails and are in very good physical condition.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Looking at going to Redwood National Park and exploring it a bit. Is it really not busy enough there that there are no reservations for back country camping? Looking at going near the end of August.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My wife and I are headed to wild basin this weekend.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ropes4u posted:

My wife and I are headed to wild basin this weekend.

Thunder lake? I see boulder grand pass ... I recommend it if you have time. Getting up on the divide is fun and you can hit a few peaks once you're up there. The scrambling was a lot of fun

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

Thunder lake? I see boulder grand pass ... I recommend it if you have time. Getting up on the divide is fun and you can hit a few peaks once you're up there. The scrambling was a lot of fun

Yes, though we have considered hitting another one of the trails up there, but thunder lake is such a beautiful hike.

To get on the do we just keep scrambling & climbing or is there a trail?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Are you staying overnight or just trying to do the thing all in one day? If you're going up to thunder lake and you have time, I definitely recommend it. Probably one of my favorite things I've done in RMNP yet.

There is a trail up to the pass, its not marked but its easy to follow. From the ranger cabin, a trail continues around the north end of thunder lake. Follow that through the treeline. You cross a stream or two, pass through some alpine meadows and its actually really lush west of thunder lake. The trail actually climbs up this 8' rock at the edge of the treeline which required using all limbs to get up but its pretty easy. From there, just continue on up to Lake of Many Winds. If the glacier/ice chunk is still there, the trail continues up to the left of it. Watch out at Lake of Many Winds. Not only is it insanely windy up there but there are marmots galore and they are really friendly so be careful setting your bags down. I would bring a rain jacket and long sleeve because up on the divide it probably dropped 20 degrees due to the wind/exposure compared to down at thunder lake. When we went last year the afternoon thunderstorms didn't usually hit until around 2-4pm. We started with a 75º day and full sun, as we were coming down off the divide we were getting hailed on and it was probably 55º. From Lake of many winds you can go around it either way, I recommend the north end. Travel across a bunch of loose rock and then you're at the foot of the pass. keep to the right, you will see a gulch of sand/rock to the right of a snow pack (if its still there). Its steep but it was a lot of fun. One of my friends who isn't a fan of heights started getting nervous but he made it through. Once you're up on the pass you can see both sides of the park, you can cross down into the west side if you want or you can hit the nearby peaks.

Here's my terrible video of the trip in which we did BG Pass starting at 1:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr69h-322jk&t=107s

Overhead

Now you can see the elevation

The way around L o MW and up the pass

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 11, 2014

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Tried to do cascade pass yesterday. Ranger station warned the snow was still sizeable so I didn't plan on doing any of sahale. Got most of the way up but without an axe or crampons I felt pretty nervous on trying to get any higher up solo. The last scree scramble with snow patches was already making me sweat a bit. Here's a 360 from as far as I got, works best if you open it on a phone with a gyroscope:

http://360.io/ZARPMr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

I've done some overnights with friends recently and want to start looking into doing some backcountry camping by myself... can never seem to get fully comfortable on a pad, and someone recently was telling me hammocks work well for solo trips. After doing some research they seem like they may not be great for side sleepers, is this true? If not, any recommended brands? The Hennessys look really nice but kinda wary about pulling the trigger due to price.

Also, have a loving giant picture! Zeacliff lookout over the Pemi wilderness:

Hey thanks for the suggestions guys, will check them out.

talktapes fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 12, 2014