Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
^dont get a cheap $100 tablet.

gingerberger posted:

My girlfriends wanting to get a tablet and doesn't really know anything about anything techy and has asked me my thoughts. I don't really know anything about them either, but if she gets one I want to be able to take it to the gym to watch tv/movies that I definitely didn't illegally download (but say that I had) and is still functional for her to take work notes, surf the web, etc. What am I looking for? We haven't discussed price range so I'd be interested to know the options at different price points.

Nexus 7 32GB is $279 (you can probably find it on sale somewhere by this point), refurbished iPad mini's for the 16Gb start at $339, but really you want at least 32GB, so add a bit more. Add an extra $100 for the Air.

You can look at the Galaxy Tab line from Samsung, the upside there is they should be able to take a SD card so you can load your movies up through there. There should be a link in the OP for them.

Link to Apple's refurb site: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

^dont get a cheap $100 tablet.

Nexus 7 32GB is $279 (you can probably find it on sale somewhere by this point), refurbished iPad mini for the 16Gb start at $339, but really you want at least 32GB, so add a bit more. Add an extra $100 for the Air.

You can look at the Galaxy Tab line from Samsung, the upside there is they should be able to take a SD card so you can load your movies up through there. There should be a link in the OP for them.

Link to Apple's refurb site: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Target had the original 16gb iPad Mini for $200 straight up last week. Best Buy had the 16gb Retina Mini+case at $300 with an edu email. There have been some pretty compelling deals lately without having to go refurb.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm out of grad school and the laptop I bought for said stint in grad school is starting to show its age. I'm going to build a desktop for home but I'm also looking into a tablet for if I need something computer-like while traveling. I bought a ASUS Transformer TF101 a couple years ago and while I don't use it all that often, it's just the right size and shape for what I'd want in a tablet. Do the current ASUS tablets adhere to a similar form factor as the TF101? Honestly if I could get my TF101 to run a little faster (or just update past 4.0.3, which looks bleak) I'd just buy a keyboard for it and call it even. I have an Android phone too so I'm already hooked up to that ecosystem. Any suggestions? Sorry if that's a little vague and rambling, I only just started thinking about this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

C-Euro posted:

I'm out of grad school and the laptop I bought for said stint in grad school is starting to show its age. I'm going to build a desktop for home but I'm also looking into a tablet for if I need something computer-like while traveling. I bought a ASUS Transformer TF101 a couple years ago and while I don't use it all that often, it's just the right size and shape for what I'd want in a tablet. Do the current ASUS tablets adhere to a similar form factor as the TF101? Honestly if I could get my TF101 to run a little faster (or just update past 4.0.3, which looks bleak) I'd just buy a keyboard for it and call it even. I have an Android phone too so I'm already hooked up to that ecosystem. Any suggestions? Sorry if that's a little vague and rambling, I only just started thinking about this.

You can get an ASUS Transformer T100 for pretty cheap. Same form factor, included keyboard dock and full Windows 8.1 (if you're into that sort of thing)

Newegg has a refurbished one, without Office Home & Student 2013, for $229.99 after $50 rebate card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-231-730#14037870788011&%7B%22sso%22:%22false%22%7D

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 26, 2014

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
So, I'm looking into getting a tablet, which I've been kind of on/off about getting one for quite some time now. It will be used for reading materials not suited for my kindle (i.e. Magazines) as well as reviewing PDF's or word documents for work related things, light entertainment such as movie-watching on plane trips, and probably tasks I'm not even thinking about right now. What would be a good option in the 8" or above range? I checked out someone's Nexus 7 but decided it would be too small for the kind of documents I'm reviewing.

I'ld prefer to stick to Android because I'm already invested in that ecosystem with my phone purchasing and usually don't care for Apple's interface, but I'm happy to be instructed otherwise. Price isn't a major concern.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

eddiewalker posted:

Target had the original 16gb iPad Mini for $200 straight up last week. Best Buy had the 16gb Retina Mini+case at $300 with an edu email. There have been some pretty compelling deals lately without having to go refurb.

I would not get the regular non-retina iPad Mini at this point. I'm pretty sure it's not 32bit compatible, and it's the same platform as the iPad 2, so it's soon going to get dropped from software update supports. Even if they tick the number up, it probably won't get all the features for the next release after 8.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

So, I'm looking into getting a tablet, which I've been kind of on/off about getting one for quite some time now. It will be used for reading materials not suited for my kindle (i.e. Magazines) as well as reviewing PDF's or word documents for work related things, light entertainment such as movie-watching on plane trips, and probably tasks I'm not even thinking about right now. What would be a good option in the 8" or above range? I checked out someone's Nexus 7 but decided it would be too small for the kind of documents I'm reviewing.

I'ld prefer to stick to Android because I'm already invested in that ecosystem with my phone purchasing and usually don't care for Apple's interface, but I'm happy to be instructed otherwise. Price isn't a major concern.

If price isn't a concern the go to tab is either the Nexus 7 on the small end, or one of the Galaxy Tabs (8, 10 or even 12") on the larger end. I would recommend them over the Nexus 10 at this point, and probably over most other android tablets.

As always, on the tablet front there is def a difference in apps optimized for a tablet on the iPad vs an Android tablet, so I would say the android tablet app availability is a bit of a mess. I can't even download the AmEx app because it says it isn't compatible with my N7. And some companies like PBS will only make tablet apps for the iPad.

Overall, it'll be fine, but you will be surprised on what apps are optimized or even available for android tabs.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I would not get the regular non-retina iPad Mini at this point.

This. I have one through work and it actually runs surprisingly well, but it would be a really poor purchase.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Galaxy Tabs (8, 10 or even 12")

Just to be clear, the Galaxy Tab line is the low end and are really bad. The new Galaxy Tab S (8.4" or 10.5") or Galaxy Tab Pro (8.4", 10.1", or 12.2") or Galaxy Note (10.1") or Galaxy Note Pro (12.2") are the higher end tablets from Samsung that are at all worth considering. Good luck picking one!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

And some companies like PBS will only make tablet apps for the iPad.
I agree with your overall point, but they literally just released their PBS video app on Android: http://www.pbs.org/about/news/archive/2014/kids-video-android-chromecast/ :v:

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

C-Euro posted:

Well if you like that tablet there's no reason to change to windows or a non-clamshell tablet. Asus has released newer versions of your tablet--their naming conventions are absurdly confusing but I think the most recent ones are the TF103 and the TF303.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

waffle posted:

Asus has released newer versions of your tablet--their naming conventions are absurdly confusing but I think the most recent ones are the TF103 and the TF303.

If *you* don't find things like that fun android is not for you :v:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Daimo posted:

If *you* don't find things like that fun android is not for you :v:

Pretty sure I've narrowed my choices down to either a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Sony Xperia Tablet Z2, or a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5(just released today!) Anyone have any experiences with the first two?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

No reason to get the note 10.1 instead of the s I don't think.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Daimo posted:

No reason to get the note 10.1 instead of the s I don't think.

That's kind of my thought, as well. Especially since I don't know how often I'd use the S pen.

Also, quick question for all of you: Since the Tab S takes micro SD cards so you can bump the memory up to 128GB, is there any reason to buy the 32GB one over the 16?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 27, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

10 Beers posted:

That's kind of my thought, as well. Especially since I don't know how often I'd use the S pen.

Also, quick question for all of you: Since the Tab S takes micro SD cards so you can bump the memory up to 128GB, is there any reason to buy the 32GB one over the 16?

Don't count on moving apps to the SD card. If you want to install a few high end games, you can quickly run out of space. The XCOM port is 3.6 GB, for example. That's about the only reason. So if you don't care about games, then no, don't worry about bumping up to 32 GB.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm a literal child, and I somehow lost my work tablet, a Nexus 10. I need to replace it pronto, but I'm not sure what I should buy now. Can someone give me some input? Observations and thoughts:
  • I was happy with my Nexus 10, but it didn't have cellular data capability. Because I work outside the office often in rural communities, I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer my next tablet have this. If it doesn't, I can Bluetooth tether it to my Galaxy S5.
  • Android app support really didn't seem on par with iOS.
  • Because I run a mostly electronic office, whatever I buy has to interface well with Dropbox, and I need to be available to view word documents and PDFs easily.
  • Cost isn't a *huge* factor, but I'd prefer to keep things reasonable.
  • Because (again) I'm a huge child, the ability to play FTL on tablet is relevant.
  • My friend, whom I generally trust on tech-related matters, can't shut up about how much he likes the Surface. I already use Office 365 for my, well, office, so should I be seriously considering this?
  • I'm reasonably tech savvy and proficient iOS, Android, and Windows

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm a literal child, and I somehow lost my work tablet, a Nexus 10.
Did you lose it somewhere with WiFi?
https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm a literal child, and I somehow lost my work tablet, a Nexus 10. I need to replace it pronto, but I'm not sure what I should buy now. Can someone give me some input? Observations and thoughts:
  • I was happy with my Nexus 10, but it didn't have cellular data capability. Because I work outside the office often in rural communities, I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer my next tablet have this. If it doesn't, I can Bluetooth tether it to my Galaxy S5.
  • Android app support really didn't seem on par with iOS.
  • Because I run a mostly electronic office, whatever I buy has to interface well with Dropbox, and I need to be available to view word documents and PDFs easily.
  • Cost isn't a *huge* factor, but I'd prefer to keep things reasonable.
  • Because (again) I'm a huge child, the ability to play FTL on tablet is relevant.
  • My friend, whom I generally trust on tech-related matters, can't shut up about how much he likes the Surface. I already use Office 365 for my, well, office, so should I be seriously considering this?
  • I'm reasonably tech savvy and proficient iOS, Android, and Windows

If you can't find your Nexus 10, get an iPad Air with cellular. It has FTL, pretty much everything supports Dropbox (and the documents situation will get even better in iOS 8), and there are a myriad of apps that support viewing office documents and PDFs. There's also an official version of Word, Excel, and Powerpoint for the iPad that you'll be able to use (since you have an Office 365 account).

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros
Can someone recommend me a tablet. I'm looking for a tablet I can use exclusively for music and maps in my car. So ideally I want expandable storage, gps, a 7in screen and relatively inexpensive. I already have an iPad so I'm not looking to use it for other tablet things. Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Can someone recommend me a tablet. I'm looking for a tablet I can use exclusively for music and maps in my car. So ideally I want expandable storage, gps, a 7in screen and relatively inexpensive. I already have an iPad so I'm not looking to use it for other tablet things. Thanks.

Nexus 7 with an OTG cable.

Oshata Hyotesti
Sep 27, 2003
Ultros

Endless Mike posted:

Nexus 7 with an OTG cable.

Would you still be able to change it with mass storage attached?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Oshata Hyotesti posted:

Would you still be able to change it with mass storage attached?
Yes with pogo pins for the 2012 model or a Qi charger for the 2013 model. Or you could wait until later this year when Car Play and Android Auto are out and get a head unit instead of a tablet.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So, in the 10 inch tablet range, if I want something with good note taking is the Galaxy Note 10.1 what I should be looking at or are there comparable tablets as well? How's the keyboard dock for the Galaxy Note?

I was also looking at one of the transformers, are those recommended or too old?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I've never owned a tablet before but I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32G. I intend to use it for reading magazines, PDFs, comics and watching movies. Please tell me I made a good choice.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

No theres no acceptable tablet purchases outside of the Nexus/iPad. I'm sorry.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

So, in the 10 inch tablet range, if I want something with good note taking is the Galaxy Note 10.1 what I should be looking at or are there comparable tablets as well? How's the keyboard dock for the Galaxy Note?

Speaking of which, does one note on Android support handwriting recognition?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

nelson posted:

I've never owned a tablet before but I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32G. I intend to use it for reading magazines, PDFs, comics and watching movies. Please tell me I made a good choice.

Its a gorgeous display. Enjoy it.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
So I think I want a tablet to replace my Kindle 2 , the cheap android tablet my parents and me share and to stop me overusing my nexus 4 when a bigger screen would be more appropriate. It will mostly be used for social media, web browsing, reading and a few games, I don't expect i'll be watching a lot of video with it but podcasts and music would be nice.

After some research I've come down to a choice between:-

• LG G Pad 8.3 running cyanogen mod
  • Nexus 7 2013
  • waiting for the HTC volantis or whatever the android L launch device is
  • Galaxy Tab S 8.4 ( which is about £150 more than the others but has a bloody nice screen)
  • something obvious i've missed

My budget is around £150 - £200 but i might streach to more if it seems worth it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

HERAK posted:

So I think I want a tablet to replace my Kindle 2
Assuming the screen is large enough for your purposes, the 2013 N7 is a really nice device. It's quite high resolution and one of the most color accurate Android screens. The only thing I wouldn't recommend it for would be reading page-size PDFs. It's also going to get (and already has in the form of the developer preview) the "L" release earliest of any device currently on market.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I'm thinking about replacing my Iconia Tab A100 with something a bit more beefy and with a better screen, still debating on Windows or Android.

Dell Venue 8 Pro: Looks pretty neat, plus I can use my existing x86 library. On the other hand the screen res is kinda low compared to the droid ones.
Galaxy TabPro 8.4: Screen looks pretty good from what I've seen, fairly nice CPU. The downside being that I have far fewer Android apps and honestly the Play store is filled with crap.
Galaxy Tab S 8.4: Amazing looking screen but I'd need to save up longer.

You know, I wouldn't mind sticking with the A100 a bit longer if 720p youtube didn't stutter when hooked up to HDMI.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Dell Venue 8 Pro: Looks pretty neat, plus I can use my existing x86 library. On the other hand the screen res is kinda low compared to the droid ones.

Screen looks pretty good on this one (despite the low res) but it doesn't have micro-HDMI out if you were looking for that. And miracast isn't really a solution when it comes to videos.

You may want to look into the Acer Iconia W4 if you're interested in a Windows 8.1 tablet. I've been hearing good things about it, it's around the same price as the Venue 8 Pro and it has micro-HDMI out.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 7, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This is probably obvious to the crowd that follows this stuff regularly, but why are the various Surface tablets so much more expensive than other stuff running Windows 8? Is there more to it than better guts and that sweet sweet Microsoft branding?

E: And is the extra cost worth it in certain cases?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 8, 2014

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln

Call Me Charlie posted:

Screen looks pretty good on this one (despite the low res) but it doesn't have micro-HDMI out if you were looking for that. And miracast isn't really a solution when it comes to videos.

You may want to look into the Acer Iconia W4 if you're interested in a Windows 8.1 tablet. I've been hearing good things about it, it's around the same price as the Venue 8 Pro and it has micro-HDMI out.

Nice save, I completely overlooked it not having HDMI out and that would be a dealbreaker since I use my tablet for media a lot.
I was reading a bit of the windows tablet thread and there was a bunch of posts about having to turn the scaling up on the higher res tablets, maybe 1280xwhatever isn't going to be that bad.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

C-Euro posted:

This is probably obvious to the crowd that follows this stuff regularly, but why are the various Surface tablets so much more expensive than other stuff running Windows 8? Is there more to it than better guts and that sweet sweet Microsoft branding?

E: And is the extra cost worth it in certain cases?

The Surface is Microsoft's response to Apple - basically, they realized that Windows PCs were getting a reputation as cheap low-end crap. The big volume sellers from HP, Acer, and so forth treat cost-cutting like a religion, and so Microsoft is building a "premium" brand that's supposed to show off Windows at its best. The Surface line still has its quirks and tradeoffs, but there's attention to detail throughout the design, and you'll be hard pressed to find something on it that's obviously crappy just because it meant the OEM could cut three cents off the bill of materials.

The extra cost can be worth it in some cases. If you want the cheapest computer possible, or the most raw power per dollar, you'll do better elsewhere. If you need a general-purpose non-gaming PC and like the Apple ideal of "yeah, you're willing to pay more, because this was designed by people who give a poo poo about how nice it is to use," but prefer Windows to OS X, it's probably the best choice on the market.

GBA
Jul 6, 2014
Could anyone recommend a good GRAPHICS tablet?

I'm cheap and poor and don't wanna spend $50+
It could be new or used; I don't really care.
It just needs to be in good condition and not be smaller than Jackie Chan's eyes.

thank you :)

P.S.: I'm not a professional artist and I use Windows 7

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GBA posted:

Could anyone recommend a good GRAPHICS tablet?

I'm cheap and poor and don't wanna spend $50+
It could be new or used; I don't really care.
It just needs to be in good condition and not be smaller than Jackie Chan's eyes.

thank you :)

P.S.: I'm not a professional artist and I use Windows 7

If you're looking for a Wacom or something similar, this is the wrong thread. There's probably a thread in SH/SC or CC that might offer some help on that, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Call Me Charlie posted:

You can get an ASUS Transformer T100 for pretty cheap. Same form factor, included keyboard dock and full Windows 8.1 (if you're into that sort of thing)

Newegg has a refurbished one, without Office Home & Student 2013, for $229.99 after $50 rebate card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-231-730#14037870788011&%7B%22sso%22:%22false%22%7D

Going back to this one, does this have the dock with the additional storage space? I've seen a few listings where the dock has some additional storage (usually way more than the actual tablet), which is something I'd be interested in if I go this route. In fact I'd generally say that I'd probably use said tablet more often as a laptop than a straight-up tablet.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 10, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone ever use a tablet to record college lectures?

What would be a good tablet with a front facing camera for doing something like that?

vvv Yeah, I did.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 13, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you mean a rear camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Thinking about replacing my old, second-hand laptop with a tablet. It's 2 primary uses are reading PDFs when I play D&D and running emulators. Right now I'm leaning towards the Dell Venue Pro 8 mostly because it seems like flipping through a handful of PDFs would be much easier than on an Android tablet. Emulators wouldn't be anything more recent than ps1. Any yay or nays or other recommendations in the $200-300 range?