Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

That is Robert J. Schwalb, 4e and 5e writer/designer, as is this:

quote:

You suggest that 4E had lowest entry point of all the editions. The sameness of play experience from character to character certainly gives strength to your argument. After all, if I play a ranger or I play a rogue, the difference, really, lies in the story overlay. My character’s primary contribution to game play lies in the ability to dispense buckets and buckets of damage, often outpacing those who, according to the narrative, wield the very power of the cosmos.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Isn't that 5e saving throw math jacked?

The Hitcher;6325904 posted:

Storm, meet Teacup.

Here's my Devil advocate position:

PCs being weak on certain saves is GREAT. It gives them more opportunities to get BEATEN DOWN, and PROTAGONIST FAILURE is where DRAMA comes from. It's only a problem if you're obsessed with the PCs winning all the time, and stuck in the belief that D&D is some sort of competitive challenge. It's not - or at the very least this edition isn't. The DM always gets to decide who fights you at any given time. He or she also gets to decide who your opponents will target, and with which abilities. If they want to go easy on you, they can. If they want to MESS YOU UP, they also can. Either way, the fact that you have some low saves is pretty immaterial. They're just a tool for the DM to play off when it's time for your character to SUCK, which they're going to have to at various points to prevent the story from being LAME. And hey - maybe when you're hanging by your fingertips off of that cliff you'll manage to pull off that one FLUKE lucky roll, and that's when you get to be totally justified in doing awesome :):):):) and feeling AWESOME.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dannorn posted:

Ok so I've not been keeping up with any info about D&D Next, 5th Edition, whatever they're calling it now other than when it's coming out. I plan on buying the Players Handbook eventually but was just wondering about something, hopefully some 4e players and people who've run the play test material can help me out.

Now I'll admit I never played 4th edition, I bought the Handbook, read up to the classes, and never touched it again. I was immediately turned off the game by the language used. What I mean is the way the classes were described seemed very rigid, very regimental. Fighter, these are your skills, you can be this kind of Fighter or this other kind of Fighter. It just didn't seem to allow any kind of flexibility or variation, which is one thing I loved about older versions of D&D, 3rd in particular. In 3e I could be a Wizard running around with a greatsword, or a Fighter who used social skills to avoid combat, or any other kind of character I could think of with a combination of feats and skills; they'd never be the best at any of those things but I could do it.

Now first question is did I misread 4e? Was it not actually that structured and you could play against type if you wanted to?

Second question, from the play test material does 5e have that same rigidity (real or imagined)? Does the class section basically hand me a completed character sheet or can I actually make a character from the ground up?

Unrelated, this was just something I found weird not something that turned me off 4e, does the Fighter still have spells? Why does/did the Fighter have spells?

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Regarding 5e's saves system, where each ability score is its own save.

quote:

Im ok with characters having a weakness, forces them to think smarter, plan ahead, be prepared. Sure Wizards may get the drop on you and pull a surprise from their sleeve, but thats part of the story. Characters will remember that time when a Wizard locked them down for 4 turns as they watched their friends get their faces smashed in. They will learn that the Greatsword+1 granting free movement MIGHT have been the smarter choice than a Greatsword+3. Clerics will remember "my low level buffs are needed" simply for the advantage mechanic. I think it will balance out in the end.

Meepo
Jul 30, 2004

5e poor lazy healing design
8 hr long rest= all hp back
short rest you use your hd to heal

I dont know any humans in real life that can do this seems pathetic

I dont have a problem if you used a feat to get a cool power like this but all humans and every race are wolverine

4e had healing serges 2end wind stuff to me its bad lazy design

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

pedophiles and zoophiles will be in the expanded players manual

IT

BEGINS

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

quote:

Unrelated, this was just something I found weird not something that turned me off 4e, does the Fighter still have spells? Why does/did the Fighter have spells?
Yes, he can cast Second Wind.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Lovely. The Usual Suspects are now up in arms about the consultants credited in D&D Basic, who don’t meet their Purity Standards. Aw, bless.

@JackNorr @boymonster At least one of the ‘assholes’ is a pretty talented designer, IMO. Not sure about Pundit, as I’ve never read him.

~*~

GMS literally has no idea who these people are or what's going on, but god dammit someone is paying attention to a person that isn't him and he needs to get in on this poo poo. Reminder that GMS never shuts the gently caress up about how he's the one true light of freedom and anti-bigotry in the hobby, seen here defending an obsessive transphobic and misogynist stalker.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Unwise posted:

I found this wierd too. In my games you can Sneak Attack with Light or Finesse weapons. Jean is a good example.

If we go back to the culture of item entitlement we had in 4e, then we will soon see optimization builds involving throwing magical Dwarven Great Axes for Sneak Attack heh.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Combined Fleet POETICA (EX)
Replaces: Racial Skills, Modifies Ability Score Modifiers
You are a military model POETICA, serving the JSDF as a part of an experimental unit operating as support gunners of the nation’s new Assault Witch squads. Combined Fleet POETICA have a more rugged beauty than most of these androids, powerful integrated cannons are built into their forearms- these long barreled weapons resemble the turrets of a WWII era battleship. Most Combined Fleet POETICA dress in the standard uniform of the day for their unit- a schoolgirl outfit with an olive drab skirt and beret, accented with rank insignia and a golden lanyard for senior androids.

Combined Fleet POETICA do not receive a racial bonus to their CHA score.

Combined Fleet POETICA begin play with the Military starting occupation. They receive a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (history) and Knowledge (tactics) checks, as they are programmed to be diehard military buffs.

Each Combined Fleet POETICA is equipped with a set of double-barreled masterwork cannons (one set per arm). POETICA are always considered proficient with these integrated cannons. These weapons cannot be disarmed, though they can be sundered. They can be enchanted, though the POETICA must remain present for the entire process. They are considered light weapons.

Ranged Weapons
Damage
Critical
Range Increment
ROF
Magazine
CFP
Cannons
2d6+1 ballistic
20/x2
100 ft
Single
Unlimited

Combined Fleet Training (EX)
Replaces: Highly Skilled
Available To: POETICA with the Combined Fleet POETICA alternate racial trait only
You receive any Combat feat that you meet the prerequisites for as a racial bonus feat at first level.

Combined Fleet Gunner (CR 7)
Medium LN or LG Combined Fleet POETICA Ranger 5 /Assault Witch 3
XP 3,200
Init +2 Senses Lowlight Vision, perceive unencrypted radio/television/cellular/wifi signals, Perception +13
Languages Celestial, English, Japanese

Defense
AC 19 Touch 14 Flatfooted 17 (+2 DEX, +2 class, +4 armor, +1 shield)
HP 5d10 + 3d8 - 8 hp (38 HP)
FORT +4 REF +8 WILL +4
Immune environmental cold

Offense
Spd 30 ft Flight 60 ft (good) Travel Speed Mach 1.5
Melee +6/+6/+3 masterwork wakizashi (1d6+2 slashing, 18-20/x2)
Ranged +7/+7/+4 masterwork CF cannon (2d6+1 ballistic, 20/x2, 150 ft range increment, single shot, unlimited ammo)
Favored Enemies Outsiders (evil) +4, Undead +2
Favored Terrains Sky (unique- applies when in flight at least 50 ft above ground)
Special Qualities Aeromusume, Favored Enemy, Favored Terrain, Hunter’s Bond, Mach One Climax, Wild Empathy
Spellcasting (CL 5th Concentration +7)
First Level – Alarm, Resist Energy

Statistics
Str 12 Dex 14 Con 9 Int 13 Wis 15 Cha 13
Base Atk +7 CMB +8 CMD 20
Feats Aircraft Operations, Armor Proficiency (light, medium), Broken Doll, Deadly Aim, Far Shot, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Personal Firearms Proficiency, Two Weapon Defense, Two Weapon Fighting
Skills Fly +14, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (geography) +12, Knowledge (history) +5, Knowledge (tactics) +14, Knowledge (nature) +12, Perception +13, Pilot +8, Survival +13
Gear armored leggings, parade armor, two mwk. wakizashi, potion of cure light wounds, iPhone

Ecology
Environment any (stationed at Misawa AFB, in Northern Japan)
Organization solitary, pair or wing (3d6) sometimes accompanied by senior human officers (high level fighter/rangers or Powered Heroes)
Treasure standard

Special Abilities
Aeromusume (SU)
As a full round action, the Combined Fleet Gunner strips away her uniform, her legs and virginal pussy becoming steel and aluminum. When fully transformed, the young girl is almost naked, except for the warplane components sheathing her legs like a vixen’s lacy stockings.

While transformed, the Combined Fleet Gunner gains a flight speed of 60 ft (good maneuverability). On any round she takes a double move and flies at least 100 ft, the CF Gunner may add her CHA modifier (currently +1) as a deflection bonus to her Armor Class. This bonus remains for one round after she completes her movement.

If the CF Gunner is knocked unconscious, falls asleep or is slain she returns to her human form. The CF Gunner can otherwise remain in her Aeromusumne form indefinitely. While transformed, she is immune to environmental cold, and though she still needs to breathe, she can do so easily at supersonic speeds and doesn’t suffer any ill effects from fighting.

Angelic Little Loli (SU)
The Combined Fleet Gunner gains a +1 holy bonus on Saves against evil outsiders and undead. Hostile creatures of those types who confirm a melee critical hit against the Combined Fleet Gunner must succeed at a DC 12 WILL Save (or be shaken for as long as they remain in your presence and for 1 round after they leave it. Once a creature saves against this effect, it cannot be affected by your purity again for 24 hours.

Limitation: The Combined Fleet Gunner loses the benefit of this talent for 24 hours if she engages in consensual penetrative sex, though she can engage in masturbation, oral or fetish acts with a lover.

Arcane Ace (EX)
The Combined Fleet Gunner adds half her Assault Witch level (currently +1) on Fly and Knowledge (arcana) checks.

Hunter’s Bond (EX)
The Combined Fleet Gunner bonds to her companion, and acts as an advanced scout. She may spend a move action to grant half her favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 ft who can see or hear her. This bonus lasts for two rounds and does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by her allies. Use whichever bonus is higher.

Mach One Climax (SU)
If the Combined Fleet Gunner masturbates to orgasm immediately before take off, she gains the ability to travel at supersonic speeds outside of combat and gains the stamina to take advantage of her range.

At Mach 1.5, her maximum air speed, the Combined Fleet Gunner can reach anywhere in Japan in an hour or two, and can be anywhere in the world in a day’s travel. This enhancement does not affect her tactical speed or maneuverability.

By spending an action point (and/or hero point) and touching a willing creature no more than one size category larger than herself, the Combined Fleet Gunner gains the ability to carry this person as a passenger at supersonic speeds. Her passenger is protected from suffocation, cold and wind injuries by a magical aura, so long as he or she clings tightly to the airplane-girl. This enhancement lasts for the duration of a single journey.

Track (EX)
The Combined Fleet Gunner adds half her Ranger level (currently +2) on Survival skill checks to follow tracks.

Roleplaying
The Combined Fleet Gunner is one of the highly trained and exuberantly patriotic warrior androids assembled by the Japanese Self Defense Force and quartered at the sprawling air base at Misawa, Japan. She is a proud member of an Assault Witch sentai, and uses a combination of Tantric martial arts training and arcane cyber-systems to take to the air with the speed and agility of a next-gen joint strike fighter.

Combined Fleet Gunners, like this one here, are assigned to anti-supernatural warfare duties, and see it as their duty to protect their nation and its citizens from supernatural evil. This particular CF Gunner was an accomplished special forces troop before being accepted into the Assault Witch program, and thus is a lot more pragmatic, a lot more comfortable in the wilderness, and a lot more willing to get her hands dirty than the typical POETICA.

She’s a lovely and imposing sight in her immaculate Combined Fleet duty uniform. Twin cannons adorn each fire arm, while high tech polymer composite armor plating protects the bio-jet systems she transforms her legs into when she fights. She carries twin wakizashi slung low on her hips, heirloom weapons bought at auction that once belonged to Japanese Imperial army officers of some renown. She’s as proud of the swords as she is every facet of her heritage and history.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DDNFan posted:

You're a day late and a dollar short, buddy.

Have fun playing those non-D&D games you love, since you hate D&D so much and DoaM was the only reason for you to buy it, I guess we'll see you around for the 6th edition rules.

To everyone else who's been arguing for damage on a miss, :p

I was about to quit this hobby entirely if they kept it in there, this was a very close call for me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I was fine nine pages in. Then I hit the page that said you level up at 300 xp and I closed the file.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

I'm a little hesitant to say this, as I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm not sure I found all this necessary.

But I think I need to explain.

See, I'm very much against political correctness. I despise it. And I do so coming from someone whom has had it applied. I have a handicap. Really, I don't care about that. But when I had letters calling me "handicapable" or other terms dancing around the fact, like I'm some fragile egg that's going to be broken by calling me disabled or handicapped, it pissed me off. I'm not some fragile piece of glass, don't treat me like I'll break. I'm just a person, treat me that way.

I really don't like PC. And as such, I find myself looking at this with that same lense.

But then, I've never been in a situation where my behaviors were prejudiced against, either, so maybe I'd feel differently. I don't know. I suppose it's due also to a kind of apathy towards things like this. If I were gay, for instance, but otherwise just as I am now, I wouldn't care; I think there are so many people with differences that making a big deal about it seems unnecessary. Just be who you are. Don't sweat the rest, unless someone's prejudicing you against it.

But I dont know. I guess I just have never worried about what people thought or didn't think about me, unless they were actively harassing me.

So I found myself thinking, why is it necessary to call out sexuality and gender AT ALL, whether it was to define it "traditionally" or "liberally," I just don't see where it's necessary. Perhaps someone could explain it to me.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Oh boy, I can finally pay some grog tax!

quote:

James Wyatt, the designer of the latest Dungeons & Dragons starter set, is trumpeting how progressive the game’s values are:

[snip summary of how characters "don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender" in the latest AD&D set]

And what could possibly be more authentically faux medieval than that?

[snip comic page boasting about the worship of evil]

No doubt you are wondering ‘Didn’t John C. Wright, famed international author and curmudgeon, just use that picture yesterday to underscore some point about Leftist crazies forcing Catholics to pay for abortifacient contraceptives and calling their unwillingness to do so a war on women?’

Yes, well the picture is appropriate today as well, now that gamer crazies are trying to manipulate kiddie ideas about decency and perversion in sex in a game otherwise concerned with spelunking robbers who slay monsters.

The picture is appropriate every day. Just in case you forget, the insanity from the Left never stops.

It. Just. Never. Stops.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Who the gently caress is John C. Wright and what, if any, works of his should I not absolutely avoid?

Grog tax:

quote:

You could drop those other 1000 grains right next to the first pile and call them two piles, because they aren't merged into a single continuous whole.

That's not what we're discussing. You can merge two one hour periods into a single logical two hour period called "a single short rest". No one is disputing that.

What we're saying is that, if you have two hours of rest, + one nanosecond in between of "non-rest activity", then that's two rests, not one. And there is no rule that can be added that is not worse than the problem it is trying to solve (spamming second wind or refreshing spell slots), that won't add very arbitrary and railroady restrictions on perfectly reasonable PC behavior.

They are going to have to errata this. The definition what consistutes a short rest does not refer to nor impose any restriction on taking multiple short rests, one after another.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

GTD Aquitaine posted:

Oh boy, I can finally pay some grog tax!

quote:

James Wyatt, the designer of the latest Dungeons & Dragons starter set, is trumpeting how progressive the game’s values are:

[snip summary of how characters "don't need to be confined to binary notions of sex and gender" in the latest AD&D set]

And what could possibly be more authentically faux medieval than that?

[snip comic page boasting about the worship of evil]

No doubt you are wondering ‘Didn’t John C. Wright, famed international author and curmudgeon, just use that picture yesterday to underscore some point about Leftist crazies forcing Catholics to pay for abortifacient contraceptives and calling their unwillingness to do so a war on women?’

Yes, well the picture is appropriate today as well, now that gamer crazies are trying to manipulate kiddie ideas about decency and perversion in sex in a game otherwise concerned with spelunking robbers who slay monsters.

The picture is appropriate every day. Just in case you forget, the insanity from the Left never stops.

It. Just. Never. Stops.

Don't snip the book piece, that's a great thing.

Don't have to buy into the gender binary in elfgame, create the character you want to play, this is good. Laudable. But then the part where futa elfs are canon, well ...

More grog in the comments, too.

quote:

I don’t know; I’ve followed Wyatt’s stuff on and off since he was a freelancer, and he’s always had a liberal streak. :)

And remember that both companies are headquartered in the People’s Republic of Greater Seattle.

There’s a very noisy GLBTQETC. contingent in the gaming hobby. I’m currently on notice at one major forum after publicly declaring I agree with Catholic teaching on sexual matters.

But I was feeling skeptical on 5E anyway. OTOH, given the noisiness I mentioned, this could be the equivalent of protection money.

quote:

Since they’re always adding letters anyway, and since, to the modern mind, mockery is the most powerful form of criticism, I always start with LGBT and then just add a string of random letters. LGBTQXFRMZ.

I think Mike Adams refers to them as GiBLeTs, which is pretty good too. I admire his courage, to remain deep in enemy territory and continue the resistance. http://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/

quote:

Ugh. You know, if people want to play whatever in RPGs I’m fine with it. It is a game, after all, but having this clunky statement in character creation is not only pointless its offensive.

Different groups are all over the place in terms of maturity level, in an astounding number of areas. I’ve had groups that were completely fine with cold blooded torture (either from the villains or the protagonists, different times) yet got squeamish at even flirting with the patrons in a bar. (Male and female player characters)

Other groups might not mind sexual content in the game, yet have issues with violence. (Why they were playing D&D, the game that rewards being murder hobos with experience is another story)

And of course, there are also the groups that are made up of fairly young children, who shouldn’t be seeing crap like that anyway. (I can’t find the link now, but there was an artist whose kid wanted to play D&D for his 8th birthday, so the dad made simplified kid versions of classic D&D characters then ran a game using the 4th edition rules for everything else)

Bottom line, the assumption is you can do whatever until the guy in charge says you can’t. Wyatt saying this does nothing besides attempt to earn brownie points because in the end he has no say on what actually happens at a single solitary table.

kafziel fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 4, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
D&D is the original RPG (in essence, I'm sure people can argue that but it doesn't change what follows). It shouldn't feel impressive or groundbreaking. That's what was attempted with 4E and what failed. It's not an experimental game, it's the template.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So a bunch of folks say, "hey this thing about gender is pretty decent of WotC."

captpike;17721629 posted:

what? this is like saying "in your world, the sky can be green or orange or any color you like" its stating something already known in the hopes some people will like it.

it worthless and a waste of time effort and paper

captpike;17721665 posted:

so they should say "if you have brown hair you can play the game" too?

captpike;17721695 posted:

thirty years ago that might have been true, today adding "girls can play too" does nothing, it is neither brave nor any kind of risk. its good PR because people THINK it shows Wotc is brave or something stupid like that.
Because homophobia and sexism are solved problems AMIRITE?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

So a bunch of folks say, "hey this thing about gender is pretty decent of WotC."

I'm sure this next post of his will shock EVERYONE.

captpike;17721796 posted:

neither did women, nor are women a minority, nor historically have they been. being as men were the ones doing the hard, dangerous labor that got them killed young.

women and men had different roles yes, but for most of human history neither have a choice. more info

nor even if that were true would it matter, what matters is how they are today, not last century.

-----

because its inclusion implies that it is needed when it is not. because its worthless text that when it goes to the printers will push out needed information. because it supports the incorrect notion that women are persecuted when they are not.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

dwarf74 posted:

"Why are people so concerned about making these weirdos welcome?!?!?!" (proceeds to demonstrate exactly why someone would want to make them more welcome instead of hurling idiotic abuse)

quote:

Social Justice gender retardation has officially infiltrated D&D 5th. You are literally encouraged to play a short, fat, hair, transgendered person in this post.

I don't want to hear anyone bitch about FATAL after this.

quote:

>Your character's sexual orientation is for you to decide

Like it's always loving been. So they threw some lefties a bone by specifically mentioning it and using their trademark newspeak, that doesn't change that I've rolled gay characters since 2e.

quote:

How much does this tranny deity and his followers feature in the setting?

Is it something I can ignore without reworking a large part of the setting? If not, then yes, this is SJW faggotry.

quote:

you arent very good at arguments are you?

the fact of the matter is, SJWs have created a swirling tornado around the /tg/ genre, and the fact that you are oblivious to it is either a flat loving lie, or you are dumb as gently caress. take a look at RPG.net forums. it is a bannable offense to "deny the experiences of a woman." on the eclipse phase forums, if you criticize feminism at for any reason you are instantly banned.

in fact, it is virtually impossible for someone to be oblivious to these things, which leads me to believe that you are saying it doesnt effect you because you are one of them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm of two minds of this.

On one hand, somewhat glad that it acknowledges sexuality and non-heteronormative ideals.
On the other... well, I'll keep my opinion of social justice to myself.
On the pervhat, though... While I think I understand the intent of the paragraph, I am validation of the fears of "Dungeons+Perverts". The paragraph pretty much says it's MY choice to play a hermaphrodite elf that probably makes everyone else uncomfortable with his/her opinion on the expression of sexuality, which can be a bit... extreme.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
[whoops, already posted]

xiw fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 5, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Re: talking about the gheys in D&D:

-----

Anything I post to this thread would earn me a permaban, but if anyone wants to learn the truth of the matter feel free to pm me. Also for a game that purports to be suitable for minors having this in here should push its rating up to pg13 at the least.

-----

Gay people: PG-13.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

howandwhy99 posted:

For me, design-wise and philosophically 5e is better than 4th, different but on par with 3rd, worse than any D&D prior to 2000.

This is not old school D&D, it's 4e mark II. It's another try at making Dungeons & Dragons a Big Model Forge-derived storytelling game.

The rules are interesting in places. For instance, they put Age into Races, include player-directed exploration and discovery (under Finding a Hidden Object), and have a very detailed Exhaustion table. Not to mention a few interesting spell / magic system rules.

EDIT:
The really bad part for me was the Introduction. They still lie about D&D being group storytelling and about not playing a game (deciphering the pattern of a ruleset to achieve a goal).

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

quote:

I am curious to why you LBT people think you are entitled to get these genders and sexes into Dungeons and Dragons and other games? How many are you and how economically strong are you?

A much bigger group that get neglected is Asians, Africans and Latin Americans and you never see them get any form av notice in games like this. Also, in a feudal society. Problems with famine and disease would be much bigger than worrying over your sexual preferences or gender. There can be an orc invasion around the corner and there is people feeling trapped in another body?

Is this really something you just have to have on paper to some how make it "approved and okay". I do not understand it. Just play what you want, why need to have it on paper?

Also, Corellon was clearly a male elf god married to Lolth before she became the Queen of spiders.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

kafziel posted:

Don't snip the book piece, that's a great thing.

This little snippet is grog by itself. "Hermaphroditic"? "Female who presents as a man/man trapped in a female body"? The term they're looking for is intersex--hermaphrodite is reserved for animals, so using it for people (or gods, I guess) is inherently dehumanizing. And the "trapped in a male/female body" terminology is bullshit. Trans men are men, and trans women are women. The writers are only exacerbating the problem of transphobia in their game by going at it in an ignorant manner.

I may have missed the point, and kafziel was already making fun of the book excerpt in fewer words.

In case the above can't count as grog tax, grog tax:

sooo.. the formating is terrible posted:

verbose language where there is no need or it
having a paragraph here a sentice would due, this will slow down trying to learn the system alot.

a good example is when they say what vision races have

rather then just say "Vision: darkvision(60ft)" they describe what darkvision is on every entry.

God forbid they have the necessary information for each individual race, instead of having to flip back to the dwarf or elf or whatever race you're not currently making your character as!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I don't love the book snippet as more than a starting place-- but I've been on enough about that lately so please forgive me for not saying more than that.

So I'm just gonna leave this grogs.png here.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Meh, I do like some highfaulutin stuff, but generally prefer things to be fast, loose, and rock and roll in lieu of being an "art."

Cheap beer, leather jackets, short skirts, basement punk shows, trashy exploration flicks, all that good stuff. You couldn't pay me to eat a souffle, I'll just grab a meat snack from the corner store.

But that's why I DM the crazy 70s OD&D, it's the right D&d for me as opposed to some rigorously mathematically balanced piece of theorycraft.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

4outof5 posted:

you're right that isn't fair but this is all so dumb

Wizards are deceptively weak because of their reliance on magic for...everything. Even in first party campaign settings you never see wizards completely out of control let alone in home brew stuff if every campaign turns into Elminster and the guys he's bringing along for the ride because someone has to carry the treasure then your group (mostly your DM) is doing it wrong.

The problems with magic:

• Magic is rare (even in high magic settings) I mean really stupid rare; if everyone can fireball each other or any idiot can knock his way into the king's treasure vault society will quickly break down.
  • A wizard has to learn spells he has to learn them from spell scrolls or through his guild or whatever bullshit the setting comes up with
  • Spell scrolls are rare maybe as rare as magic weapons
  • Wizards who know lots of spells and are willing to teach them are rare (or even might not teach specific spells for a variety of reasons from selfishness to moral objection of their use )
  • Earth shattering reality warping spell (ab)use would certainly bring unwanted attention to the caster and party from the gods and or other planes
  • A wizard has to keep his spells in a book that can be lost or destroyed effectively rendering him useless

And this is all before you have a DM just flat out say "NO little jimmy you can't take knock because it makes it un-fun for other people in the group we ran into this problem last campaign." Yes if you want to have a campaign where a wizard can have everything he wants it's quickly going to turn into a cluster gently caress but I don't think that has ever been in the spirit of the rulebook or any of the official source materials. Magic's flexibility is there to represent a multitude of choices in utility for the PCs in a campaign not to be an all you can eat buffet of un-fun. For example: do you honestly think the spell wish has a place in any wizards spell book in any edition of dnd? So yes if a wizard has every utility spell in the game and he gets to use it every 10 minutes that sucks compared to jumping 5 more feet but I don't see how that could ever realistically happen.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

...Am I confusing this guy with someone else? Because I'm pretty sure John Wick described, in loving detail, his bachelor party encounter with a stripper dressed up as Bayushi Kachiko.

Wiggz posted:

How we fixed the classes

First of all let me say that I am not one who worships at the altar of 'balance at all costs'. These changes were made to address what I felt were inappropriate class features either due to balance issues, playability or theme. They may serve to alter or marginalize some prestige classes on a case-by-case basis. All of these changes have been play-tested successfully.

Lesser spell components are done away with completely, effectively giving every caster the Eschew Materials feat.

Clerics do not get the bonus spell for Domain spells. Instead they are able to cast their Domain spells spontaneously (replacing the Cure spell option).

Druids and Rangers can choose between Animal Companions and Familiars.

Sorcerers gain the Heighten Spell feat for free. They also receive their bloodline spells as soon as they are able to cast them (usually one level earlier).

Wizards as a third option in place of Arcane Bond or a Familiar can gain instead an energy ray that has a range of 30' and deals 1d6 damage per level of the highest level spell they currently have memorized. The damage is either fire, cold, electricity or acid damage, chosen at the time the 1st Wizard level is taken. Once this choice is made it never changes. This is a spell-like ability. (We have a host of feats for Wizards who chose this option, allowing them to augment their attack in various ways)
Hmmm, yes. A well thought out attempt to address the notoriously underpowered wizard, sorcerer and cleric adventuring classes. But what about the martial oriented classes, you say?

quote:

Barbarians beginning and ending a Rage requires a swift action. They do not gain the Trap Sense class feature.

Fighters progress Reflex saves at the same rate they do Fortitude saves and gain the Maneuver Mastery bonuses from the Lore Warden prestige class as a standard ability.

Paladins do not get Detect Evil as an at-will power and they do not deal double damage against any select foes when first Smiting.
I for one am thrilled someone took steps to rein in D&D's number one pick for muchkin power gamers, the Barbarian.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

How Ingratiating! posted:

--hermaphrodite is reserved for animals, so using it for people (or gods, I guess) is inherently dehumanizing.

What if you're using it for this god? :v:

Grog:

quote:

quote:

Everything Sorcerers do, Arcanists can do better.
Sorcerers are easier to play with less system mastery.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

quote:

One of the catch phrases of Next throughout the playtest was "rulings not rules", which I frankly took to be vague to the point of meaninglessness. But now that the rules are out, I absolutely see what they were going for with that,

There are a tremendous number of places in these pages where the text explicitly declares that the result of a given spell, feature or check is simply up to the DM. I don't mean some sort of generalized. "Rule 0" statement once in the rule set-- every edition ever has had that, with the option for the DM to improvise or override RAW as he desires.

Rather, in many cases the RAW itself in this edition is some version of " the DM makes something up as they desire." In other words, DM rulings aren't a function of simply settling points where rules are ambiguous, or coming up with house rules to suit their preferences. Rather the rules themselves call for DM rulings all the time as a routine part of play. The Cleric's ability to call upon divine intervention for example, has rules for how often it can be done and the odds of success, but the actual effect is simply whatever the DM makes up. There is no such thing as RAW independent from rulings.

I love this. It takes one if the central features that set D&d apart from so many other games, and it puts it front and center as a core component of the game.

quote:

I am a big advocate for table variation, so, I also really like this. I think the worst thing to happen to D&D were the "Living" campaigns where you you could bring your character from one table to the next (Pathfinder Society is the same way), because it required a standardization of the rules and a restriction of GM power.
I, too, love paying for a book and then doing the writer's job for him

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The RPGPundit never fails to deliver. In response to the little snippet about Correllon Larenthian, he apparently had this to say:

quote:

Your statement about "options for inclusion" was pretty vague, so maybe you'll want to clarify what you meant by that. However, at the moment as much as I wrack my brain I can't think of what you could possibly have meant other than the comment on gender found in the new D&D rules.

If that's the case, I think you're engaging in a serious injustice, be it accidental or intentional.

I was completely and explicitly in favor of Wizards including that, just as they did. Contrary to what you have implied I have never and would never be opposed to inclusion on the basis of gender or sexual orientation. I have always been firmly in support of gay rights; I have had gay and bisexual players in my gaming groups, my wife (The Wench) and I lived for many years with a gay couple renting our spare bedroom, I have been a supporter of LGBT rights in Uruguay (which is one of the most progressive countries in South America on that note, where not only has gay marriage and adoption been legalized but anyone from the age of 12 onwards has a right to choose the gender stated on their identity card), and to my knowledge (maybe someone can point me to a pre-existing work that proves otherwise, but if so I did not hear of it) my Arrows of Indra is the first RPG to feature a transgendered character on the cover.

It's true that in some areas I would be seen as "conservative" by the broken dualistic concepts the U.S. paradigm is stuck with; but this is not one of those areas.

And again, many people reading this might have legitimate reasons for hating me, because of my position on RPGs being radically different than theirs or even for other political stances I might have, but if anyone hates me because they think I'm a homophobe, they're dead wrong. If you or others want to cry angry tears over the fact that the new edition of D&D is closer to my vision of gaming than yours, that it represents a return to old-school thinking instead of pseudo-intellectual 'theory' bullshit or pseudo-artistic pretentiousness, then by all means continue, but I'm sure you can all find more than enough things to hate about me that are actually true, rather than misinformed.

Because gently caress 4e for trying to be a fun game.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

quote:

my wife (The Wench)
Meanwhile, over on ENWorld, one poster is concerned that Wizards do not have enough spells in 5e Basic. Emphasis mine:

quote:

Aren't these rules counting on a dearth of spells though?

Unless I'm missing something, (which is very possible, I didn't follow the playtest all the way through and I only read most of the PDF once)
at 14th level a wizard would have 7 less spell slots in 5E than 3.5E PLUS all the bonus spell slots from high INT. Assuming a 20 INT, thats another 6. So they'd be running 13 spells short.

If they really are trying a return to old-school d&d, the lack of spell slots will severely mess with an all-purpose wizard. If they focus on save or dies, they won't have the utility spells at all. If they help out with utility, they'll have even less spell slots to burn.

and that "less powerful" sword? will be able to swing multiple times a round, multiple times a combat, all day every day.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 6, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Are fighters boring to play? If they are it's your fault, and at least they aren't underpowered like wizards!

quote:

Consider no wizard has every spell or even the ones thy do memorized. White room all you want and then actually come back to me after you have actually played in an actual game. Stop thinking wizards are full strength 100% of the time like a video game. It's on you that you don't actually use the skills available to EVERYONE this time around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What's the relevance? I mean, why does everything have to be gay? Do we have to have a cleric wearing a tight white T shirt and Leather trousers with the arse cut out at the back? Do we have D20 rolls to control Cleric-on-Cleric action? We're out killing trolls, and finding treasure. Why do I need you to be humming show-tunes while I'm exploring a f**king dungeon? I have absolutely nothing against you expressing your sexuality at all, as long as it's in context. But why do we need to gay up a role playing game?

(same guy)

What the hell are you talking about? So either I accept that I'm going to have gay sex shoved in my face in all areas of life, or I'm homophobic? Sexuality is just a part of my life dude, not the whole of it - I don't see the need to define literally everything I do or involve myself in by what sexual partners I seek out. Taking your argument to its logical conclusion, Avengers should have had a gay character... because otherwise it's homophobic, right? Oh wait no - Bruce Banner could have been gay. No sign of Liv Tyler, right? But there's no need to discuss it BECAUSE IT HAS NO RELEVANCE. You can imagine that he is gay, and it doesn't matter, it's perfectly fine. But there is no necessity to show 'gayness' just to PC things up. Maybe Wedge was gay in the original Star Wars films? You know what, maybe he was. But I DON'T CARE. It's not on my radar. I have absolutely no phobia, or hatred, or whatever, for gay people. Nothing at all - I just don't see the reason for homosexuality to be represented in D & D. But then you already know that, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering.

(one of the top rated comments, btw, but you could have guessed that)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
FFS. When this bullshit bleeds into gaming all is lost. I don't care what people do, but people are so up their own asses about being politically correct it all becomes a joke. This is retarded.

----

I'm suggesting they did not need to do that. Could said people not play the game previously? Yes. I don' t see the need to propgandize the issue. They diminish the people who are out making a true argument for the cause. I suggest all these things were already happening without the developers shamelessly tongue juggling the taint of the alternative lifestyle community.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

One solution to the litter-birth feeding problem is the following:

All Orc women are constantly lactating, no only when they are pregnant/have given birth. Also, their milk might have a higher nutritional value than human milk.

So orc children get to eat from their mothers, as well as from any female which the mother or father can beat into submission.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Wizard has always been limited by the spells it can cast. This is a Mechanical Limitation

A Fighter doesn't suffer from this problem. Since he does not have a Mechanical Limitation, the only limiting factor is the players own imagination. A fighter doesn't need Mechanical support. A 4e (and 3.x to a lesser extent) Fighter was by far the most frustrating of all editions as it gave Mechanical Limitations as to what it could do... The great thing about the Fighter is he doesn't need special abilities or Powers or Mechanical doodads to make him awesome. He is awesome because he has no restraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But I have a "mind challenge" scenario I would like to throw at the Rpg.net community..

If we are to take a newbie D&D player and have him play a Magic user and take a veteran player of D&D an d have him play a Fighter put him in a 20 level campaign (both player characters starting at level 1 ) who would be successful in the long run?, and if what would happen if we put these same players with characters of level 1 standing and put them in a 1 shot session who would be successful?.

..Thought experiment...

• Locked thread