Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mass Effect 2 and 3 just hardcoded the strings. "To vault over objects, press [SPACE]" long after I remapped that to E and Space to power wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Ignimbrite posted:

Or even worse, when they still have the Xbox controller logos for the keys when you're using a mouse and keyboard. "To attack press the RB trigger".

I can't have my controller plugged in or else Syndicate will only show Xbox icons.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Action Tortoise posted:

Some fights ended in failure because Lara decided to circle around the cover and expose herself

:wiggle:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ignimbrite posted:

Or even worse, when they still have the Xbox controller logos for the keys when you're using a mouse and keyboard. "To attack press the RB trigger".

Even worse: Binary Domain where it's these really hard to read icons when you're in keyboard mode.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

To use your melee attack, press the [tiny icon of a fist] button.

Between this and the janky-rear end camera, the PC version of Darksiders 2 is practically unplayable with keyboard/mouse. Of course, even after switching to gamepad, there's still the bizarre jump in boss fight difficulty starting with the Hulking Construct or whatever it's called that really drags the game down.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Man, I will never forget Skyping with my friend while he played Mercenaries 2 on the PC for the first time, and listening to him promptly freak the gently caress out while hijacking a helicopter, where he was presented with a prompt of a foot icon during the QTE.

:byodood: "IT SAYS TO HIT FOOT. WHAT THE gently caress IS FOOT. I'M HITTING EVERY SINGLE KEY, AND NONE OF THEM WORK. WHAT DOES THE FOOT MEAN."
*falls to his death upon failure*
:raise: "This game is bullshit, yo."

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Lost Planet only had 360 input pictures, and no way to check or change the bindings. Tab was switch weapons, and the number keys were the menu screens. It was impossible to play without trial-and-error and a cheat sheet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I started playing Max Payne 3 the other day and stopped playing Max Payne 3 somewhere towards the end of the second level. The cutscenes go on forever and are not written well enough to justify it, movement feels annoyingly fiddly , I was getting used to the Epic Slo-Mo and then it put me in a helicopter and made me shoot a million bad guys at a weird angle so it was hard to tell where my bullets were going. I'll give it another shot soon because I've heard it's great over and over, but it sure doesn't make a great first impression.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Kimmalah posted:

Me too. That and the railway rifle. It wasn't the best gun in the game but sometimes it's just fun to pin ghoul heads to a wall with a gun that goes choo choo.
The railway rifle was the best, but iirc eventually you run out of ammo for it and can't get any more.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Generic American posted:

Man, I will never forget Skyping with my friend while he played Mercenaries 2 on the PC for the first time, and listening to him promptly freak the gently caress out while hijacking a helicopter, where he was presented with a prompt of a foot icon during the QTE.

:byodood: "IT SAYS TO HIT FOOT. WHAT THE gently caress IS FOOT. I'M HITTING EVERY SINGLE KEY, AND NONE OF THEM WORK. WHAT DOES THE FOOT MEAN."
*falls to his death upon failure*
:raise: "This game is bullshit, yo."

This, exactly this. I bought Mercs 2 because the PYF little things in games had a minor derail about it, and it was like $5 on Origin.
Pretty much the first mission you do after the intro bits has you have to take out a tank thats crashed through a wall into a building you're fighting in.
There are 3 differnt QTEs to take out that tank, none of which explain a drat thing. The first one, the foot, took me like a dozen tries to figure out, with each failure resulting in the tank driver shooting me in the stomach, (for zero damage by the way) then I'd fall off the tank and have to do it all again. The foot, by the way, means "jump", so hit the jump key. Not that it's explained ever. The next was a fist, which after only 2 or 3 tries I figured was the melee button. The 3rd I forget what it was, but overall the entire experience sucked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

How does this even happen? What is the supposed point of those tutorial tips that convey no information? It can't be a left-over console tutorial thing as far as I can see, since gamepads don't have a "fist" button either.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

2house2fly posted:

I started playing Max Payne 3 the other day and stopped playing Max Payne 3 somewhere towards the end of the second level. The cutscenes go on forever and are not written well enough to justify it, movement feels annoyingly fiddly , I was getting used to the Epic Slo-Mo and then it put me in a helicopter and made me shoot a million bad guys at a weird angle so it was hard to tell where my bullets were going. I'll give it another shot soon because I've heard it's great over and over, but it sure doesn't make a great first impression.

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with the game as well, and everyone I talked to said to ignore the cover and just slow-mo dive shoot everyone. If the best course of action is to ignore the cover, why is it even an option in the game? Then I got to a part where some guy in ridiculous body armour with an implausible minigun shoots me to death through cover, and I beat my head against that fucker for 30 minutes before uninstalling the game.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Tiggum posted:

How does this even happen? What is the supposed point of those tutorial tips that convey no information? It can't be a left-over console tutorial thing as far as I can see, since gamepads don't have a "fist" button either.

If I recall, that example is from Assassin's Creed, and the buttons were Xbox colour coded, even on the PC version.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

princecoo posted:

This, exactly this. I bought Mercs 2 because the PYF little things in games had a minor derail about it, and it was like $5 on Origin.
Pretty much the first mission you do after the intro bits has you have to take out a tank thats crashed through a wall into a building you're fighting in.
There are 3 differnt QTEs to take out that tank, none of which explain a drat thing. The first one, the foot, took me like a dozen tries to figure out, with each failure resulting in the tank driver shooting me in the stomach, (for zero damage by the way) then I'd fall off the tank and have to do it all again. The foot, by the way, means "jump", so hit the jump key. Not that it's explained ever. The next was a fist, which after only 2 or 3 tries I figured was the melee button. The 3rd I forget what it was, but overall the entire experience sucked.

I started that derail. I loved the first game then EA took over and 2 went to poo poo.

They took all the random elements out so whenever you started the game you hear the same character say the same thing and drive past the same battle where the same truck explodes right on schedule.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you don't like Mercs 2 you're literally insane.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I remember playing the Prince of Persia reboot through Onlive, back when that was a thing. Press the blue attack button on your keyboard now! Or maybe it's on your mouse.

The thing dragging that game down was any sort of fight. They were all basically Monkey Kombat. Which is what dragged Monkey Island 4 down too.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

It was both a critical and commercial failure so you are definitely in the minority.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Planet Wisp Doppleganger race in Sonic Generations is practically impossible. It requires perfect play, it's an incredibly long level, and the mechanics of the level suck. Of course, the clone of yourself that you're chasing has no problems at all.

EDIT: And I forgot that you can't use any of your purchased abilities, such as "I'd like to be able to be precise with my movements" or "I'd like the ability to double jump to make the muddy platforming acceptable".

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Jul 3, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Piell posted:

Mercs 2 sucked goat nads, but if they made a Mercs 1 HD I'd pay 30 bucks for it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

MisterBibs posted:

The Planet Wisp Doppleganger race in Sonic Generations is practically impossible. It requires perfect play, it's an incredibly long level, and the mechanics of the level suck. Of course, the clone of yourself that you're chasing has no problems at all.

EDIT: And I forgot that you can't use any of your purchased abilities, such as "I'd like to be able to be precise with my movements" or "I'd like the ability to double jump to make the muddy platforming acceptable".

Planet Wisp in general is just pretty horrible in this one.
The whole point of Sonic Generations is to make you feel much more nostalgic towards much better games.
Like Sonic Unleashed, it starts out okay - but then it just sort of becomes ugggggh.
I will say that one saving update they have on this is that you can use the jump dash (its a mid-air jump that propels you a bit forward and is pretty useful for certain jumps), in Unleashed its replaced by the boost so, its gone - and then you can't alter your speed which you can do in generations. Sonic Colors gave you a double jump, which was a god send because you could correct yourself if you miscalculated a jump which is very common when your going at a bazillion miles per hour.

I think I've actually died less times in '06 than in Unleashed.

Also, you can't see rings for poo poo in the final boss fight.

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude

scarycave posted:

Planet Wisp in general is just pretty horrible in this one.
The whole point of Sonic Generations is to make you feel much more nostalgic towards much better games.
Like Sonic Unleashed, it starts out okay - but then it just sort of becomes ugggggh.
I will say that one saving update they have on this is that you can use the jump dash (its a mid-air jump that propels you a bit forward and is pretty useful for certain jumps), in Unleashed its replaced by the boost so, its gone - and then you can't alter your speed which you can do in generations. Sonic Colors gave you a double jump, which was a god send because you could correct yourself if you miscalculated a jump which is very common when your going at a bazillion miles per hour.

I think I've actually died less times in '06 than in Unleashed.

Also, you can't see rings for poo poo in the final boss fight.

I'm going to attempt this level for the first time. I'll be back with results.

I remember now. That level is balls, the only doppleganger race that I have a D in, but it's definitely not impossible. Just annoying, the main reason I did bad this time around (I got a C) is because I was impatient and when the platforms rolled around, I just jumped at em and missed by a mile and fell all the way down and had to make my way back up.

ScreamingNinja has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Jul 3, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

gently caress the camera in Metal Gear Rising.

No, I don't want to face that empty stretch with no enemies. I want to face the 6 enemies about to pound my face in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
There was a cutscene in the new Call of Duty towards the end of the game that required you to press a button to avoid dying, but it was just some indecipherable symbol and I absolutely could not figure out what the gently caress I was supposed to be pressing. Each time I would press whatever I could think of on the keyboard, die, then have to sit through the whole cutscene again up to that point. Gave up on it completely after about 10 times trying to figure out what to hit and haven't loaded it up since.

gently caress you game, just tell me to hit A or whatever.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mario Kart 8 is a awesome game but good lord gently caress having to unlock things.Multiple times I've tried to get a gold cup in 150cc only to have the AI knock me from 1st to 5th with a single red shell 10 feet from the finish line. This kind of thing is fine in multiplayer but not when It makes me have to restart an entire 4 race grand prix just to unlock a character and mirror mode.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

gently caress the camera in Metal Gear Rising.

No, I don't want to face that empty stretch with no enemies. I want to face the 6 enemies about to pound my face in.

Blame all the reviewers who criticized God Hand's perfect fixed camera because occasionally it would clip through level geometry in the name of letting you always see what was in front of you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Blame all the reviewers who criticized God Hand's perfect fixed camera because occasionally it would clip through level geometry in the name of letting you always see what was in front of you.

Who decided a camera being an in-world object inasmuch as it can't move through walls is a good thing? Has it ever provided a view that isn't "your head" or "your shoulder"?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I picked up Dragon Commander on the Steam sale and they don't explain many of the mechanics at all, like the way a map's population, the resource used to build stuff decreases as units die, or that when this happens the person with the most recruitment center starts leeching population from the others, or that you lose if you're have less than 11% of the population for... how many seconds?

There's about zero tutorial for the world strategic map as well. Apparently warships can intercept transports. That would have been good to know. It also never really explains what an area's population, citizen motivation, or your approval rating with a species means.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Mercs 2 sucked goat nads, but if they made a Mercs 1 HD I'd pay 30 bucks for it.

Mercs 1 was really ahead of its time, and what's so dissapointing about the sequel is that you can see a really good game trying to claw its way out of what it is. I would consider Just Cause 2 the worth successor to Mercs 1, and every once in a while I find myself pining for the gameplay mechanic of calling in a chopper to airlift out rescources, and fully destructable buildings. I hope that they bring that in for JC3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Who decided a camera being an in-world object inasmuch as it can't move through walls is a good thing? Has it ever provided a view that isn't "your head" or "your shoulder"?

Probably because clipping through walls looks awful and calls early PS1/N64 games to mind

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Tengames posted:

Mario Kart 8 is a awesome game but good lord gently caress having to unlock things.Multiple times I've tried to get a gold cup in 150cc only to have the AI knock me from 1st to 5th with a single red shell 10 feet from the finish line. This kind of thing is fine in multiplayer but not when It makes me have to restart an entire 4 race grand prix just to unlock a character and mirror mode.

They key to getting first in MK8 is to only use bananas/green shells defensively once you're ahead. The frequency of coins means using an item in first is incredibly risky and will likely get you reamed by red shells.

Also try learning how to use inside-drift bikes, as they can take corners so closely that red shell pathing can't follow and will either veer around you or just smash into a wall.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Probably because clipping through walls looks awful and calls early PS1/N64 games to mind

I was going to make a post on this when I played - I think it was Watch_Dogs - an open world game that didn't fade out your character when you were in a position that drew that camera close behind him.

It was right after I picked up Just Cause 2 again and it suddenly made that games camera system look elegant with the gentle transparency effect so that you don't swing too close to a wall or bridge and suddenly have your guys head filling the screen and blocking your view. I don't know why every game doesn't do it like that.

drat, Just Cause 2 is just a game that has me appreciating things I didn't even realise it does well until I play another game that seems clunky in comparison.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

carry on then posted:

Mass Effect 2 and 3 just hardcoded the strings. "To vault over objects, press [SPACE]" long after I remapped that to E and Space to power wheel.

Skyrim will recognize if you remap keys on the overlay but not on the menu and inventory screens.

The other thing is that by default leftclickinguses the right hand weapon and vice versa (probably because in oblivion it was rightclick to block but the PC is righthanded in Skyrim so he holds the shield on his left). It really confused me for a while.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jojoinnit posted:

I was going to make a post on this when I played - I think it was Watch_Dogs - an open world game that didn't fade out your character when you were in a position that drew that camera close behind him.

It was right after I picked up Just Cause 2 again and it suddenly made that games camera system look elegant with the gentle transparency effect so that you don't swing too close to a wall or bridge and suddenly have your guys head filling the screen and blocking your view. I don't know why every game doesn't do it like that.

drat, Just Cause 2 is just a game that has me appreciating things I didn't even realise it does well until I play another game that seems clunky in comparison.

I find Just Cause 2's run and gunning refreshing when every other third person game does the Gears of War / post-Resident Evil 4 type of gun combat.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tengames posted:

Good news: you can get all the characters in 50cc. Getting a gold you already got still nets a new character.

Mirror is a bitch, and you must have both godly play and luck to unlock it, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Alan Wake is pretty much the game that Deadly Premonition would have been with ten times the budget,1/10th of the talent and 100th of the self-awareness. It's not very good in general, is what I'm saying.

But towards the end, it seems to improve quite a bit. You get cutscenes setpieces that aren't just spoooooooooooooky dark woods stuff, you get companions, plentiful ammo to breeze through the boring combat...

And then the ending is literally "I should be the one to fill your dark heart with liiiiiiiiiiiight!".

Also, two minor things that rather annoy me about Alan Wake - whenever you pick up ammo from a crate, you auto-switch to the weapon you just got ammo for. Auto-switching when you pick up a new weapon is annoying enough, but what the poo poo is this.

You also can't turn your viewpoint around when in a car - the game will just grab your mouse and wrench is right back to the standard pov.

Xander77 has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Jul 4, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I love The Wonderful 101 from the rewarding and stylish gameplay to the writing to the fantastic bosses and even the theme song. I don't enjoy playing through excessively long levels it has though. Maybe I'm just bad and the levels aren't nearly as long if I'm competent, but Operation 006-B took me like an hour and I was just so drained by the end.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What was also bullshit about Alan Wake was that getting the McGuffin didn't affect game play any.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The opening chapter of The Witcher 2 gets dragged down by assuming a LOT of familiarity with the previous games/books. I don't know who this king I'm friends with is or this magic chick who's my girlfriend. Later I met the king's... mistress? And she asked me to describe the character of the king to her, and I had several options to reply with but I'm like "which of these is even true? Thank gently caress she didn't ask me his name"

I'm glad I've got to chapter 1 and the characters are in a new area with no friends so I can start finally playing the game without scratching my head.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wish I liked The Witcher 2 a lot more than I do. On one hand the presentation is ace and I love its complexity. On the other hand my eyes completely glaze over when reading about potions and oils and even after reading the manual there's loads of little questions about the interface that keep hanging me up. Nothing I can't figure out, but it's still annoying when even without those problems the game is still demanding a lot of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Witcher is basically summarized to me by "Why?". As in, why take the time to play it when better games are easier to get into. :v:

At least that jerkoff king dies.