Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I'm now thinking of getting the steam train from Keighley up to Oxenhope on Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Carpet posted:

I'm now thinking of getting the steam train from Keighley up to Oxenhope on Sunday

Yorkshire :britain:

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Carpet posted:

Was going to send you a PM suggesting the same thing, but you don't have PM's so :)

Should be one of the best spots to watch it and you get to ride on a Steam train there and back.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Caravan didn't give me any freebies. :(

e: ceremonial start brought ten minutes forward to 11am, apparently.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 5, 2014

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

TinTower posted:

Caravan didn't give me any freebies. :(

e: ceremonial start brought ten minutes forward to 11am, apparently.

When I was a kid if anyone had told me that within 30 years it would be socially acceptable to wave a Skoda flag around I would've laughed at you.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The guy commentating for British Eurosport looks exactly like Butch Harmon. It's really odd.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

No rain and the wind is pushing those clouds to the East, so it should be nice.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yeah sun came out 10 minutes before the riders arrived

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

gently caress me that's the worst rendition of the national anthem I've ever heard.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Ugh Sky were so slimy on ITV about Brad not being selected. Funnily enough super greasy business man Oleg Tinkov came across really well on the GCN ride along. Contador looked really relaxed and was willing to chat.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

JENSIE

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought Jens Voigt had retired from the tour, nice to have him back.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Kilmers Elbow posted:

When I was a kid if anyone had told me that within 30 years it would be socially acceptable to wave a Skoda flag around I would've laughed at you.

Sponsorship, innit.

There's still a carnival-like atmosphere in the city centre. Briggate is packed due to the big screens.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
That's most likely because of the literal carnival too. Time to go for a pint before I get the train to Harrogate then

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Carpet posted:

That's most likely because of the literal carnival too. Time to go for a pint before I get the train to Harrogate then

Queen's Court is quiet as gently caress. Actually pretty peaceful.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I already hate ITV. Show the loving cyclists I don't give a poo poo about interviews about how early the crowd got to the finishing line.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

How many random z list celebs have they trotted out by now? The team presentation was terrible with the amount of ad breaks cutting off teams.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Skipton looks gorgeous.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Holy poo poo they are talking in detail about dry stone walls...

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Pocket posted:

Holy poo poo they are talking in detail about dry stone walls...

Yeah you'd think Yorkshire was the only place you could find them :cotswoldspride:

I'm planning to go see part of stage 3 on Monday - either the sprint on Epping high st or the finish. Given that it's a work day, any idea how far in advance should I be arriving if I want to get a good view?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
drat, no more space on the trains. Gonna sit down in Leeds and watch on the big screens instead

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Awesome Jens!

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

omg go Jensie!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Carpet posted:

drat, no more space on the trains. Gonna sit down in Leeds and watch on the big screens instead

To be fair, there's often no space on the Harrogate trains at the best of times.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Just got back from watching it on the route North of Skipton.

If you get the chance to watch it DO IT! Its a 'once' in a lifetime experience, especially watching it with he 30,000 others in the middle of nowhere. Although the 100,000+ in literal middle of nowhere that is buttertubs must be having an amazing time.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Camped last night at the school my mum teaches at next to harewood house, yelled like a corporate whore at the freebie cars and saw the red arrows go overhead. Yorkshowns.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

ukle posted:

Just got back from watching it on the route North of Skipton.

If you get the chance to watch it DO IT! Its a 'once' in a lifetime experience, especially watching it with he 30,000 others in the middle of nowhere. Although the 100,000+ in literal middle of nowhere that is buttertubs must be having an amazing time.

<3 those TDF feels

Edit: Haha thanks to one of you for the dry stone wall avatar!

Pocket fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 5, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Côte de Buttertubs, is almost worth paying to be renamed.

I am happy Jens came back, I will be rooting for Nairo Quintana to take it to Team Sky this year.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
David Millar is on American TV trashing Garmin Sharp. :lol:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Fantastic turnout. They'll make this a regular thing, no?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Haha, cheers from the crowd in Leeds for Jensie getting the KOM, jeers for David Cameron appearing on the screen

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

I will be rooting for Nairo Quintana to take it to Team Sky this year.

You'll have to wait for the Vuelta for that.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

fartmanteau posted:

You'll have to wait for the Vuelta for that.

Oh dear, I was horribly mistaken. I watched him in the Giro and he was brilliant. I guess they decided not to send him for reasons?

Edit: I see, he is likely exhausted.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I hope we don't have to put up with three weeks of these tremendously stupid Tommie Copper ads.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Dirk Pitt posted:

Oh dear, I was horribly mistaken. I watched him in the Giro and he was brilliant. I guess they decided not to send him for reasons?

Edit: I see, he is likely exhausted.

I think he's said that he's planning to ride the TdF next year, so it will come in time.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Did someone say Prehistoric Architectural Structure?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Fantastic turnout. They'll make this a regular thing, no?

Honestly after this I could well see them returning to Yorkshire in a few years, the turnout is insane. Given the TdF organisers are also the organisers for the Tour of Yorkshire which they hope to get put on the racing calendar from next year, there will be added incentive as well.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

David Millar is on American TV trashing Garmin Sharp. :lol:

I hope someone somewhere has a recording of this.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I didn't see anything in the press but did they fit any of Shimano's cameras to bikes at the Tour like they did in the TDS?

Edit: Looks like Lotto missed that move.