Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

KaosMachina posted:

http://www.esterior.net/2014/05/is-xseed-games-going-to-release-brandish-the-dark-revenant/
Man, I really, REALLY hope this gets over to America. Brandish was a really fun SNES game.
For that matter, why hasn't anyone MENTIONED Brandish yet?

It was a top-down dungeon delver. All about going into this mysterious ancient tower, while a sorceress tried to kill you, because apparently, you killed her master.
Honestly, it's been a while, so I don't remember a BUNCH of details about the game. I DO remember that the sequel got a fan translation, though: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1442/
The original Brandish is headache inducing. It was originally a Japanese PC game, so when they wanted to have the camera stay behind the player's back they couldn't use Mode 7 to make a smoothly rotating world. Instead the entire dungeon appears to instantly reconfigure itself around you.

The PSP remake is like Legend of Grimrock in that it replicates the awkward combination of real time combat combined with rigid grid-based movement that was imposed by the technology of the time. It's infinitely more playable due to a real 3D camera though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Brandish is loving unplayable. You really have to fight with the game to try and enjoy it, but it's a losing battle.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Wendell posted:

Brandish is loving unplayable. You really have to fight with the game to try and enjoy it, but it's a losing battle.

I assume you're talking about the SNES version? The PSP version I hear is the best.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, I don't know anything about the PSP one except that it's Japan only.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Wendell posted:

Yeah, I don't know anything about the PSP one except that it's Japan only.

Edit: Nevermind. Saw the quote above.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
Give me TitS

Zombiecop
Jul 2, 2007
While we're on the subject of Brandish on PSP,

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/05/xseed-announces-brandish-dark-revenant-psp/

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Kinda expected a push back since I hadn't heard anything in a while. STILL CANNOT WAIT.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/2/5863656/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-in-the-sky-sc-coming-late-2014

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Where's the retranslated Napishtim Steam release, Xseed?

Ah hell who am I kidding, they're going to focus on tits for the foreseeable future...

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
And we have some news on TitS.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Now I'm super hype again :D

Does anyone have a rough ETA on when FC is supposed to come out, so that I don't have an excuse to bust out my psp copy?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SC Bracer posted:

Does anyone have a rough ETA on when FC is supposed to come out, so that I don't have an excuse to bust out my psp copy?

According to Hatsuu (XSEED's Production Coordinator,) they're in the "home stretch" on FC. My complete guess would be August/September for a release.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Once you decide to put up a page on Steam, please also put up a price for the game. Even if you can't preorder, knowing the price beforehand makes it easier to budget for the game. And I'm sure as hell picking it up Day One.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Please let the Vita version go on sale soon. I have it on UMD, but I don't wanna use my drat PSP anymore. I'd gladly double dip for like 10 bucks, but 20 is too much. I already bought the special edition.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bought Ys I/II during the Steam Sale and played it until I ran into Dark Fact where I got annihilated over and over.

How the gently caress do you beat Dark Fact?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DOOP posted:

Bought Ys I/II during the Steam Sale and played it until I ran into Dark Fact where I got annihilated over and over.

How the gently caress do you beat Dark Fact?

Wear the silver set, and pray.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Pray to your deity of choice and try to stick to the edge of the arena.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Lance Streetman posted:

Pray to your deity of choice and try to stick to the edge of the arena.

God is dead, mate. God is dead

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Reiterating that you need to wear the silver set, not the final set, to be able to survive that fight unless you are a TAS. And the holes appear when you hit him, so you need to not trap yourself while damage-racing him.

Enjoy!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Internet Friend posted:

Reiterating that you need to wear the silver set, not the final set, to be able to survive that fight unless you are a TAS. And the holes appear when you hit him, so you need to not trap yourself while damage-racing him.

Enjoy!

I figured out the Silver Set stuff and the best I ever did was to get him down to half-health or so. And that was once out of the many, many defeats.

That fight is bullshit. Its a bullet hell segment in a bog-standard action-adventure game. gently caress.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Try to get multiple hits in on a single pass and don't get trapped. Aside from that, it's just dumb luck. The fight is indeed bullshit, and probably one of the worst parts of the game.

Ys 1 in general is not that great a game. It's not terrible, but it hasn't aged well. Ys II is much better and has a significantly better final boss. If you aren't having any fun fighting Dark Fact, just youtube the ending and move on to Ys II.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If you're playing on nightmare I feel sorry for you otherwise Dark Fact isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. If you're dying more to Fact than you did to Vagullion there are issues that need addressing.

Also yeah silver equips, don't make it any harder than it was designed to be.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Make sure you have the damage ring equiped in that fight too, more damage per hit means less holes to worry about in the long run. And yeah, running along him when he flies by tends to get you a ton of damage.

Hard is really the best difficulty to play Ys games on in general, Nightmare always leans well into the realm of tedium.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I don't think rings have any effect on bosses in Ys I & II, but don't take my word for it because they change that statement in other entries and I may be a little confused, too much Dawn of Ys on the brain.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I might be confusing it with a different Ys, I thought they did in the PC version of 1 but maybe that was the PCE version or another one I'm thinking of.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm so awestruck by Dark Fact that I can't even get angry at him. What a boss, wow. If there was one nitpick, it would be a lovely hitbox. Tweak that and I think the fight is the right kind of challenge. Still though...wow.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
All the Ys games are 75% off today as part of the daily deal!

More Ys!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
But I already own all of the Ys :(

Give me something new, Xseed!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well Trails in the Sky PC news is supposed to be coming real soon according to Xseed on Facebook.

Edit: @Hatsuu is putting together a trailer. This could be it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 9, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

All the Ys games are 75% off today as part of the daily deal!

More Ys!

Alright fine, I'll loving play them.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That's it. I'm in. Put myself down for Ys Origins.

Wow this game is some simplistic anime bullshit. WHERE HAS THIS SERIES BEEN ALL MY LIFE YES gently caress

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I have to post twice about how smooth this game plays and goes down my throat. I can't quite tell the difference between how quickly the controls respond to my gamepad compared to say, a fighting game, and in addition to that I'm very impressed in the middle section of this tower about how much fun the levels are to visually take in and romp around, laterally and vertically.

also this is the first game i have played in forever that actually ran at 60 fps with no frame droop oh heavens my overpowered computer is finally worth its price

It also happens to be a great change of pace in terms of typical session time, sitting right in between terrible phone games and horrible temporal black holes of FFXIV.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Be sure to grab Felghana afterwards, since it's really more of the same with regards to Origin. Just slightly more difficult I suppose and you can only play as one character.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 13, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also be sure to play as all three characters. Especially Toal 'cause he's the best.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Gurumin is on Steam Greenlight now: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=286828342

If you vote Yes, join the official group and tell them you did they'll give you a free copy when it's greenlit.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 18, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Zeether posted:

Gurumin is on Steam Greenlight now: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=286828342

If you vote Yes, join the official group and tell them you did they'll give you a free copy when it's greenlit.

gently caress YES.

Surprised that they'll be able to give everyone a free copy.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Yeah, that's pretty cool. It's from Mastiff because their PSP release of the game here predated the XSEED-Falcom partnership. I just wonder if it'll be a straight translation of the Japanese PC release or it'll have the PSP stuff brought over too (English voices and such). Ain't gonna complain either way, more Falcom on Steam is good.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

also this is the first game i have played in forever that actually ran at 60 fps with no frame droop oh heavens my overpowered computer is finally worth its price
I hate to tell you this but actually it runs flawlessly on lovely 5 year old laptops as well :allears:

And yeah, play Oath in Felghana afterwards, it's the same but even better

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Any tips for Galbalan on Nightmare? I have the item that revives you once, but I keep getting murdered by his fireballs.

Him being able to use them after he makes the ice platforms is pretty dickish, this is already gonna be a long fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Galbalan on Nightmare is pretty easy for about 3/4 of the fight. It's only when he creates the stupid laser grid and uses all his skills at once that it gets horribly difficult.

If you're getting whoomped during the first phase, you just need to dodge harder.

• Locked thread