Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

chael himself was like "i woulda done that too if i thought of it first."

competition is about cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

freud mayweather posted:

chael himself was like "i woulda done that too if i thought of it first."

competition is about cheating.

I think he admitted that he was grabbing the shorts right back

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The only thing with Anderson grabbing his shorts I really remember was when they were standing up in the second and anderson ripped the front of his trunks down trying to like pull him into a position to be punched in the face

I never rewatched the fight I just have a mental picture of ANderson unveiling Chael's jock trying to yank him into a punch

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's pretty easy to retrospectively hand-wave away the Cote, Leites and Maia fights by buying into his mystique and saying he's not obligated to put on a good fight, but they were reallllllly loving embarrassing at the time. Part of the crazy hype for Silva/Sonnen 1 was because Silva's popularity was at an all time low before that fight. You can't contractually make someone do more than the bare minimum, but it was pretty bad. Dana was threatening to put him on the prelims (which was probably just a bogus threat), but after three shows being burned with him putting in low effort terrible headline fights making him not be the final fight of the night honestly doesn't seem unreasonable.

Anderson rules. He does crazy cool poo poo and I like watching him, usually. I just don't agree when people try to justify the way he fought in those three fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
There really wasn't that much wrong with how he fought in the Cote fight; he was loving around a lot but he was also throwing flying knees and taking Cote down and poo poo. The Leites and Maia fights were dire, though, and the last two rounds of the Maia fight were embarassing.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

attackmole posted:

It's pretty easy to retrospectively hand-wave away the Cote, Leites and Maia fights by buying into his mystique and saying he's not obligated to put on a good fight, but they were reallllllly loving embarrassing at the time. Part of the crazy hype for Silva/Sonnen 1 was because Silva's popularity was at an all time low before that fight. You can't contractually make someone do more than the bare minimum, but it was pretty bad. Dana was threatening to put him on the prelims (which was probably just a bogus threat), but after three shows being burned with him putting in low effort terrible headline fights making him not be the final fight of the night honestly doesn't seem unreasonable.

Anderson rules. He does crazy cool poo poo and I like watching him, usually. I just don't agree when people try to justify the way he fought in those three fights.

I believe Silva had pretty much the same mindset as Jones, that those fights were below him and not worthy competition. But instead of burying them on twitter or namecalling random UFC fans on instagram, Silva took the fights anyway and breakdance-fought through them in half-joking fashion. A true Champion.

V Yes. I hated him at the time, but now I like it now as a kind of protest against weak matchmaking? Like a slowdown rather than a strike.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 14, 2014

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

red19fire posted:

I believe Silva had pretty much the same mindset as Jones, that those fights were below him and not worthy competition. But instead of burying them on twitter or namecalling random UFC fans on instagram, Silva took the fights anyway and breakdance-fought through them in half-joking fashion. A true Champion.

"This man is contemptible and beneath me. Rather than finish him early, I will do as little as possible and then openly run away during the last two rounds, because this is somehow demonstrative of something other than me being a huge dink?"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It wasn't weak matchmaking, the middleweight division was just that dire at the time. Okami got injured a couple times en route to his title shot (I think Cote and/or Leites got their shots from that), and until Maia and Chael showed up no one else could post consecutive wins in the division. And both guys had some blemishes coming in.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm with fatherdog on this one. I don't want to get into the morality of whether someone's obligated to try their hardest, I just think the idea that intentionally doing a lovely job to make a point about matchmaking is stupid.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

red19fire posted:

V Yes. I hated him at the time, but now I like it now as a kind of protest against weak matchmaking? Like a slowdown rather than a strike.

You are very stupid.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

There really wasn't that much wrong with how he fought in the Cote fight; he was loving around a lot but he was also throwing flying knees and taking Cote down and poo poo. The Leites and Maia fights were dire, though, and the last two rounds of the Maia fight were embarassing.

I've been saying this for years and glad someone agrees with me. I mean, Anderson shoots a double (and gets it) because why the gently caress not

red19fire
May 26, 2010

fatherdog posted:

You are very stupid.

I know. I just like it in retrospect.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

red19fire posted:

It doesn't matter what fighters think. Silva thought Weidman wasn't on his level mostly do to his lack of name value and small amount of fights and we all know what happened with that. Similar situation with JBJ and Gus. Funnier still after Gus beat JBJ and was robbed, fan interest is big for the rematch, but he actively tried to poopoo the fight saying Gus hadn't earned a rematch despite wrecking Manuwa in the meantime. Fighters thoughts on matchups really never matter as there are rarely squash matches/unworthy opponents unless a division is very shallow or there are injury replacements.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Seltzer posted:

It doesn't matter what fighters think. Silva thought Weidman wasn't on his level mostly do to his lack of name value and small amount of fights and we all know what happened with that. Similar situation with JBJ and Gus. Funnier still after Gus beat JBJ and was robbed, fan interest is big for the rematch, but he actively tried to poopoo the fight saying Gus hadn't earned a rematch despite wrecking Manuwa in the meantime. Fighters thoughts on matchups really never matter as there are rarely squash matches/unworthy opponents unless a division is very shallow or there are injury replacements.

Kind of dumb on Jones' part, he should've come out guns blazing hyping the fight. Instead he bitched and moaned to try (possibly did) give himself some kind of better negotiating position.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BlindSite posted:

Kind of dumb on Jones' part, he should've come out guns blazing hyping the fight. Instead he bitched and moaned to try (possibly did) give himself some kind of better negotiating position.

I doubt it was any sort of savvy negotiating strategy but Jones has hyped the fight better than he ever could through poo poo talking. He took a fight he won and has convinced the world he is scared of Gus and wants nothing to do with a rematch. His attempts as poo poo talk would come off as forced and fake, ducking Gus sells the fight.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

I doubt it was any sort of savvy negotiating strategy but Jones has hyped the fight better than he ever could through poo poo talking. He took a fight he won and has convinced the world he is scared of Gus and wants nothing to do with a rematch. His attempts as poo poo talk would come off as forced and fake, ducking Gus sells the fight.

I dunno man, I think Jones has copped a lot of flak lately for appearing to not want to fight anyone let alone Gus, if he flipped the switch and came out aggressive I think it was draw a lot of attention.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I heard a legend about Floyd Mayweather's only known time suffering a knockdown was because he hurt his hand beating the poo poo out of the other guy and wanted a breather.

My question is if there were no knockdowns in the round to that point but Mayweather was dominating, how would the judges score that

E: I don't really care if the story is true but I wouldn't put it past mayweather.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Cole posted:

I heard a legend about Floyd Mayweather's only known time suffering a knockdown was because he hurt his hand beating the poo poo out of the other guy and wanted a breather.

My question is if there were no knockdowns in the round to that point but Mayweather was dominating, how would the judges score that

E: I don't really care if the story is true but I wouldn't put it past mayweather.

Mayweather took a knee against Carlos Hernandez because he broke his hand and the pain made him tear up. I think it was like round 6 or 7.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

It should be scored 9-9 I guess

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's the 10-point must system because one fighter has to score 10 points barring a foul, is it not?

I.E If a fighter lost the round, but managed to knock a fighter down through whatever means and didn't foul during, he has to score 10, but the fighter who was knocked down and won the round can make the 10-8 up to a 10-9 by virtue of winning the round as each knockdown is only worth one point on the scorecards. At least, that's how I've read the rules in the past.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've never really gotten into UFC because of how expensive the ppvs are. If I wanted to try and get into it would fight pass be the place to go?

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

TheJoker138 posted:

I've never really gotten into UFC because of how expensive the ppvs are. If I wanted to try and get into it would fight pass be the place to go?
A month of fight pass is less expensive than the cover at a lot of bars that show UFC events, so yeah.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ogantai posted:

A month of fight pass is less expensive than the cover at a lot of bars that show UFC events, so yeah.

How much of the back catalog do they have? Is it like WWE Network where I could start at UFC 1 and go straight through?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

How much of the back catalog do they have? Is it like WWE Network where I could start at UFC 1 and go straight through?

They don't have every event but they have a shitload of them and a bunch of individual fights. That includes Strikeforce, Pride and WEC.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Pretty sure you can try out FightPass for free for one month.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Every UFC from the beginning through 2013 are up with some 2014 (mostly the free stuff.) Almost every WEC is online, most PRIDEs, a few Strikeforce and EliteXC plus a few other failed promotions. You could start at UFC 1 and just work from there. There's a one week free trial too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thanks guys, I grabbed the free trial. UFC 1 is loving bonkers. Is there a thread for asking for suggestions for what else to watch, or is doing so here kosher?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

TheJoker138 posted:

Thanks guys, I grabbed the free trial. UFC 1 is loving bonkers. Is there a thread for asking for suggestions for what else to watch, or is doing so here kosher?

Check this'n out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642892

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

Don't watch the main event of UFC 9. As a wrestling fan you will look at it and think you need to watch it, but you don't.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Don't watch the main event of UFC 9. As a wrestling fan you will look at it and think you need to watch it, but you don't.

But...but Shamrock...

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

But...but Shamrock...

Don't, it's horrendous.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Don't, it's horrendous.

Well now I have to watch it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Well now I have to watch it.

Horrendously boring

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Dangersim posted:

Horrendously boring

yea he doesnt mean horrendous in a trainwreck kind of way he means horrendous in a boring as poo poo

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

One of the many crazy things about those initial UFCs was how if a dude got injured they just plugged a fresh dude in there.

Say what you want about Royce but I still have fond memories of going nuts watching that poo poo on VHS.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Sphinxster posted:

One of the many crazy things about those initial UFCs was how if a dude got injured they just plugged a fresh dude in there.

Say what you want about Royce but I still have fond memories of going nuts watching that poo poo on VHS.

It wasn't really amazing, they had alternates and that system caused problems at UFC 3 and UFC 11. Huge problems at 11 because they ran out of men for Coleman to double.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I didn't know that about 11.

I meant crazy like that seems really unfair and stupid.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Sphinxster posted:

I didn't know that about 11.

I meant crazy like that seems really unfair and stupid.

That's what caused the problems at 3, they changed it to make it more fair. The alternates would have to fight too so you didn't have a fresh fighter inserted into a tournament.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh interesting. Glad they stopped with one night tournaments, but also glad to have seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The first ever replacement at UFC 2 is the most fantastic thing I've ever seen. He gets straight up murdered.