Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheJoker138 posted:

The first ever replacement at UFC 2 is the most fantastic thing I've ever seen. He gets straight up murdered.

fred ettish? legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

fred ettish? legend.

Yes. I had to watch it twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes. I had to watch it twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was.

here's an awesome addendum to that fight, you should really watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5maknndsas

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

here's an awesome addendum to that fight, you should really watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5maknndsas

That's a pro click, thanks.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fred Ettish was straight haunted by that fight.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Sphinxster posted:

Fred Ettish was straight haunted by that fight.

I don't blame him. Although the Scott Morris loss right before him was equally brutal, if quicker.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

fred ettish? legend.

he was a brown belt in shotokan karate who was there cornering someone. They needed an injury replacement but hadn't planned for one and Ettish happened to have his gi on him. The rest is legend.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

UFC 3 is loving bullshit. I know that's not a question but, seriously. loving. Bull. poo poo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheJoker138 posted:

UFC 3 is loving bullshit. I know that's not a question but, seriously. loving. Bull. poo poo.

Yeah before there was Bradburying your way to victory, there was Jennuming.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a general UFC thread I can take all of my comments on this stuff to? Cause I just watched Hackeny punch some weirdo Jesus freak who later went to jail for gang rape in the dick like 10 times and it was pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a general UFC thread I can take all of my comments on this stuff to? Cause I just watched Hackeny punch some weirdo Jesus freak who later went to jail for gang rape in the dick like 10 times and it was pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Welcome to our sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS9vdoX3Ju0

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

google "Frye-Takayama"

We mostly do monthly UFC threads about current events and then sporadically people try to do special threads about interesting topics that slip through the cracks. Just throw poo poo in the monthly thread, people are always down to get a fresh fan addicted.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Warning, UFC 10 spoilers.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

EvanSchenck posted:

We mostly do monthly UFC threads about current events and then sporadically people try to do special threads about interesting topics that slip through the cracks. Just throw poo poo in the monthly thread, people are always down to get a fresh fan addicted.
Yeah, this is right. hit up the monthly thread. People won't tell you to shut up for bringing up old stuff, it's fun to hear the perspective of a new fan.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This month's UFC thread isn't called UFC [month] for drug testy reasons, so he's the link over to it incase you couldn't find it but it usually is UFC [month] with the same tag each time. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647047

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A few pages ago there was a question and several answers about why elbows aren't used more often. This sort of analysis is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to read and post about, so here are my thoughts. I use some judo terms here: uke is the person performing the technique, tori is the partner.

Elbows are chronically under-used.

Difficulties in training have already been mentioned. Elbows gently caress you up, and its really hard to use them in sparring without causing real damage.

They are also not so common a technique; finding legit Muay Thai guys who are really experienced in them isn't nearly as easy as finding boxing instruction.

Anyway, so its a bit hard to train. Here are areas where I think elbows should be used more:

-The clinch.
They're used all the time here, but it could be more. I think there are too many haymaker attempts. That Neer fight that was posted showed that short, non-horizontal elbows can be ultra effective. Lots of room to grow here.

-Hand fighting
Perfect for Jones, but other fighters can use it as well

(gif isn't a good example since where was no hand fighting here, but it was cool and handfighting set up several elbows in the fight, use your imagination)

-Clinch breaks.
This could almost be a sport in itself, and the whole notion is greatly under-used. Elbows are but one technique that can be really useful as a surprise, short-range blow.

-In-fighting
If you're close enough to throw an uppercut or short hook, you're probably in elbow range as well. Several people mentioned how Jones's success with elbows is due to his huge reach. No arguments here. But that doesn't mean that only long-armed guys should throw them. They should be part of the arsenal used by short guys to fight on the inside and stifle long-range attacks. Boxers have done this for ages -illegally- by throwing a punch and "missing" only to connect with an elbow instead. This is a great fakeout and would work well with MMA.

-Grappling.
Travis Brown showed there are completely new and hilarious ways to use elbows. This applies both standing and on the ground. There's a whole world of elbows to use here, from almost every position.

-Elbows, not to the face.
Why not elbow to the guts, or thigh, or solar plexus? I've seen some interesting ones to the shoulder joint, and Pride actually had more body-elbows than I see in the UFC.

-Limb destruction
Block a punch with the tip of your elbow. Escrima has it, and apparently so does boxing. I've never seen this done in real life, and wonder if its really possible.

So, basically, use elbows everywhere.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Blocking punches with elbows is very much a part of boxing and is very effective and painful. Usually you use them to block body shots.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dangersim posted:

Blocking punches with elbows is very much a part of boxing and is very effective and painful. Usually you use them to block body shots.

Would this not be a lot easier to do when blocking huge boxing gloves? Could it work in MMA?

I see people punch elbows and forearms all the time, though it never looks intended to hurt.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah it would work with mma gloves. It's not so much that you are throwing your elbows at their fists, you just drop them down to cover the side of your midsection, and if you happen to catch my elbow sucks to be you.

Source: I used to box and have really sharp elbows.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Would this not be a lot easier to do when blocking huge boxing gloves? Could it work in MMA?

I see people punch elbows and forearms all the time, though it never looks intended to hurt.

I'm pretty sure Jon Jones used his forarms and elbows to block a lot of glover's shots in their fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
hey, just snowballing here, but maybe fighters should use their arms to block punches. pass that along for me. peace.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

hey, just snowballing here, but maybe fighters should use their arms to block punches. pass that along for me. peace.

nah, face is a better option

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

david carmichael posted:

I really hope you meant "spitballing"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

He's referring to Jon Jones, remarkable arm haver and Snowball King

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Famous for wrapping himself around a pole too, no less.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Aren't elbows pretty hard to land though? For most of us who don't have ape limbs, they either have to be moving towards you as you strike or they need to be up against the cage?

idk my striking sucks

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

For most of us who don't have ape limbs

Rich Franklin, is that you?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

Respect to Fred Ettish, but man his shadowboxing at the start looks so stiff.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Aren't elbows pretty hard to land though? For most of us who don't have ape limbs, they either have to be moving towards you as you strike or they need to be up against the cage?

- a lot of elbows require decent shoulder mobility, which some guys don't have.
- telegraphing an elbow leaves you really open
- it's really hard to spar with elbows safely. I think this is the major problem.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

A few pages ago there was a question and several answers about why elbows aren't used more often. This sort of analysis is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to read and post about, so here are my thoughts. I use some judo terms here: uke is the person performing the technique, tori is the partner.

You have uke and tori backwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tori_%28martial_arts%29

Nik Dennis is also a good example of creative standing elbows.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

You have uke and tori backwards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tori_%28martial_arts%29

Nik Dennis is also a good example of creative standing elbows.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Has Matt Brown actually improved in his sub defense? I recently rewatched the Brown/E. Silva fight and I have to believe that the Brown who got subbed by Seth Baczynski would have gotten RNC'd by Silva during the early part of the first round.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Grifter posted:

Has Matt Brown actually improved in his sub defense? I recently rewatched the Brown/E. Silva fight and I have to believe that the Brown who got subbed by Seth Baczynski would have gotten RNC'd by Silva during the early part of the first round.

I don't really have an answer for that, but Brown's problem was getting overly agressive and diving into subs. Against Silva he was hurt and obviously knew the sub was coming, and defended very well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Grifter posted:

I would imagine that in the last three years he's improved his sub defense somewhat, if from nothing else, just the sheer number of reps he's gotten from training, but he's also gotten better at keeping fights on the feet. I don't think it'll be overly important against Lawlor because he seems to like standing in tight and fighting.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Bascynzki is actually a pretty good fighter and was easily hurting matt standing, and hurt him bad before he guillotined him. As far as improved sub defense, I guess if hes drilled way more and could instinctively defend the choke better yeah then he wouldn't get choked. But pretty much anybody is vulnerable to being choked when theyre unable to avoid getting hurt on the feet and are forced to go to an area of the fight where they aren't as comfortable.

I think every time Matt got subbed in the UFC it came right after somebody blasted him with hard punches. Maybe there was one stray one where he wasn't, but I don't think so. Even Big Dog had to hurt him before he tapped him. I think if anything, his improved striking defense and ability to avoid GnP from his back has kept him from getting subbed. When Kim took Brown's back at the beginning of their fight, he defended well, because he had his wits about him.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 22, 2014

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Bundt Cake posted:

Bascynzki is actually a pretty good fighter and was easily hurting matt standing, and hurt him bad before he guillotined him. As far as improved sub defense, I guess if hes drilled way more and could instinctively defend the choke better yeah then he wouldn't get choked. But pretty much anybody is vulnerable to being choked when theyre unable to avoid getting hurt on the feet and are forced to go to an area of the fight where they aren't as comfortable.

I think every time Matt got subbed in the UFC it came right after somebody blasted him with hard punches. Maybe there was one stray one where he wasn't, but I don't think so. Even Big Dog had to hurt him before he tapped him. I think if anything, his improved striking defense and ability to avoid GnP from his back has kept him from getting subbed. When Kim took Brown's back at the beginning of their fight, he defended well, because he had his wits about him.
I haven't jumped on the Fight Pass train yet but stuff like this really pushes me to. I'd like to sit down and watch all of the fights where Brown got subbed and see how it lines up with ones where he spent a lot of time defending without getting caught.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I just watched No Holds Barred, and I now fully believe Hogan when he claims McMahon co-wrote it.

Did we ever have a thread or few pages of discussion about the film?

I've watched plenty of awful films, and even I am in awe of No Holds Barred.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Wrong thread bruh

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Dangersim posted:

Wrong thread bruh

Sure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Are there any stories about Ken Shamrock being afraid of Dan Severn? He outright refused to work with TNA if they had Severn on their first show (Severn was NWA champion at the time and they were going to crown a new NWA champion.) Obviously all fans are afraid of them being in the same building after UFC 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I have a gear question that can hopefully be answered in this thread. I'm interested in picking up wrestling and I'm looking for a decent pair of wrestling shoes. I'm wondering if I'm better off going with a snugger fit or going for maximum comfort right out of the box. I went for a snug fit on my taekwondo shoes per the suggestion of the person who sold them to me, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on the matter. Thanks!